Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Amethyst posted:

Not sure why I'm getting this kind of odd hostility, discussing the details of the game, in the Elite Dangerous thread.

okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

???

Good poo poo my man. Excellent work.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Amethyst posted:

Not sure why I'm getting this kind of odd hostility, discussing the details of the game, in the Elite Dangerous thread.

Because nothing you're saying is interesting.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Shine posted:

I seriously doubt this is the reason. If that were the case, no one would respond and that would be that.

Instead, I get a bunch of little non-committal snipes like "okay" from a bunch of fans who don't like hearing bad things about thier favourite game. I mean, do you think anything I've said is actually an invalid opinion?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

radintorov posted:

That remake is pretty cool: they clearly tried to stay as faithful as possible.
I seem to recall that a few people complained (what else) in the brown sea when the new iCourier was shown because it was a small ship, clearly forgetting that the game already had the old Courier in the iClipper.

Before they officially announced the Courier most people accepted the Clipper as just a 'medium-large Imperial ship' filling both the Trader and Courier's role, it was only after they announced the Courier was coming as well that people starting getting annoyed because it's dumb that the Courier is a more combat-focused sidegrade from the Cobra when the game desperately needed a ship of exactly the same role niche but a size larger to compete with the Asp (and given the huge numbers of other Viper-to-Cobra sized ships which have followed it's even weirder).

The main complainers that I recall were people who were obssessed with the name 'courier', expecting a ship with basically no weapons, outspeeding the Cobra and with a super long jump range.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

Be fair, the instructions areright there in his profile text.

I mis-clicked, and got rap sheet instead. Seems about right though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

I seriously doubt this is the reason. If that were the case, no one would respond and that would be that.

Instead, I get a bunch of little non-committal snipes like "okay" from a bunch of fans who don't like hearing bad things about thier favourite game. I mean, do you think anything I've said is actually an invalid opinion?

Actually, my favourite game is probably some old action-RPG called Dungeon Siege II, Elite comes at 3rd or maybe 4th place. Like many modern games it's just rather time-consuming, so I'm playing it more. But gently caress it, if No Man's Sky or Masseffect: Andromeda are coming out, Elite is most likely to fall down a couple more steps on my list of favourites.

That said, your opinions are still hilariously bad. So what, there are some flaws in Elite? Every space game had some serious flaws. I mean, which space game would you suggest is factually better then Elite? The best you could go for are games like EVE Online or Rebel Galaxy, which both have their own flaws and drawbacks, just in different ways.

Also please take note, the game has to exist and actually be released.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

people who were obssessed with the name 'courier', expecting a ship with basically no weapons, outspeeding the Cobra and with a super long jump range.

I was not one of these people, I expect very little, but now you mention it, I would do unspeakable things for that ship.

The Imperial...Cartographer!

Non-supercruise speed isn't a big deal though. Would happily swap that for faster FSD cooldown and an improved planet-scanner.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Libluini posted:

Actually, my favourite game is probably some old action-RPG called Dungeon Siege II, Elite comes at 3rd or maybe 4th place. Like many modern games it's just rather time-consuming, so I'm playing it more. But gently caress it, if No Man's Sky or Masseffect: Andromeda are coming out, Elite is most likely to fall down a couple more steps on my list of favourites.

That said, your opinions are still hilariously bad. So what, there are some flaws in Elite? Every space game had some serious flaws. I mean, which space game would you suggest is factually better then Elite? The best you could go for are games like EVE Online or Rebel Galaxy, which both have their own flaws and drawbacks, just in different ways.

Also please take note, the game has to exist and actually be released.

I'm not talking about releasing a perfect game. I'm talking about releasing a feature-incomplete game. There is a large difference.

Also, I'm seriously not sure why you feel the need to call my opinions "hilariously bad." As far as I can tell, many players share my thoughts. I don't call you stupid for enjoying the game as it is, why do you feel the need to lash out?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I don't like thing

okay

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Do you have any thoughts on the matter or are you just hoping this drives me away?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Do you have any thoughts on the matter or are you just hoping this drives me away?

Nice meltdown.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I am calm. I am sitting calmly at my desk, sipping a mug of chai, while you are having an epic tantrum. I'm tittering sensibly at your anger.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I like chai tea, i wonder if they have chai tea in space.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I am calm. I am sitting calmly at my desk, sipping a mug of chai, while you are having an epic tantrum. I'm tittering sensibly at your anger.

okay

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

I'm not talking about releasing a perfect game. I'm talking about releasing a feature-incomplete game. There is a large difference.

At what point would you consider the game "feature complete" if they expect to keep iterating on it for a whole decade? Would you rather have it take 10 years to make before its offered to the consumer?

Because as a consumer you can just wait till Elite Dangerous:Thargoid Boogaloo comes out to buy it and have all the previous content come with it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

At what point would you consider the game "feature complete" if they expect to keep iterating on it for a whole decade? Would you rather have it take 10 years to make before its offered to the consumer?

Because as a consumer you can just wait till Elite Dangerous:Thargoid Boogaloo comes out to buy it and have all the previous content come with it.

My actions as a consumer are all very well and good but that doesn't help much when Frontier's development decisions could kill the game well before the long awaited Thargoid Boogaloo expansion.

I'm not asking for them to implement every pie in the sky idea they put on the kickstarter page before release. I'm perfectly happy for them to hold back features for expansions.

But, the way it's going now, a LOT of features feel like alpha level placeholders. Are you happy with how shallow most mechanics are? They seriously feel like placeholders. Assassination missions, for instance. They should be varied, a process of investigation, tracking a target through multiple mechanics, and finding them in a variety of different situations. At the moment, it's literally a random spawn in super cruise. In my opinion, their priority should be getting the existing systems finished before adding even more.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Hey man you can't park here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

Also, I'm seriously not sure why you feel the need to call my opinions "hilariously bad." As far as I can tell, many players share my thoughts. I don't call you stupid for enjoying the game as it is, why do you feel the need to lash out?

I'm not lashing out, but your opinions are bad. By your logic, every game is feature-incomplete, because every game will lack something you want. Frontier made a conscious choice to do some things first and others later, that's all.

Going into a game's thread and talking about the flaws, maybe making a few jokes about them, that's OK, everyone does that. But you come here and talk about those flaws as if we don't know. Newsflash: Some of us are playing the game since 2014. We know.

Saying things like "I'm expecting more from a games developer :smug:" is, while technically true since it's your subjective opinion, also a rather dumb thing to say. From my viewpoint it sounds like you're saying "I'm an entitled shithead and I don't even notice" when you say things like this completely unironically. Especially if everyone can see that Frontier put already a lot of work into their game and continue to work at it.

I mean this is like if I would go into the Diablo III thread and write down a long and boring rant about how everything I don't like about the game is a fundamental flaw and if Blizzard weren't just lazy shitheads, the game could be golden. It would be funny to rile them up, but it would be trolling, not discussion.

So now I am slowly realizing I'm writing a serious analysis about your trolling. gently caress, it's 3am and I should be asleep, let's stop this nonsense.

Amethyst posted:

My actions as a consumer are all very well and good but that doesn't help much when Frontier's development decisions could kill the game well before the long awaited Thargoid Boogaloo expansion.

I'm not asking for them to implement every pie in the sky idea they put on the kickstarter page before release. I'm perfectly happy for them to hold back features for expansions.

But, the way it's going now, a LOT of features feel like alpha level placeholders. Are you happy with how shallow most mechanics are? They seriously feel like placeholders. Assassination missions, for instance. They should be varied, a process of investigation, tracking a target through multiple mechanics, and finding them in a variety of different situations. At the moment, it's literally a random spawn in super cruise. In my opinion, their priority should be getting the existing systems finished before adding even more.

We get it, you don't like Elite. You don't need to tell us your vision of how the game should look, make your own drat game if you think Frontier does everything wrong. You could call it Assassin's Creak or something. :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ah yes, the "entitled consumer" argument, the apologist's great weapon. It is wrong and dumb to expect sensible decisions from a multi million dollar studio, and if you think otherwise you're plain dumb. I am an enlightened consumer, who is happy to accept a sub-standard product because I blindly put faith in the guys who keep making fully acknowledged mistakes.

I'm not sure why you mentioned blizzard, the studio which diligently polishes every product to a high shine before release, and further, will fully acknowledge and fix post-release errors based on user feedback. Pretty much the opposite of what frontier are doing.

Enjoy your alpha bud.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I don't like thing.

okay

Also your avatar is very informative thank you :D

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

If you read all that and come away with nothing but "I don't like elite dangerous" you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

I do like Elite Dangerous. But, it has so, so much unfulfilled potential, and that makes for an interesting critical discussion. If you aren't interested in that discussion, fine. You really don't need to make a bunch of dumb little posts about it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Elite is a good game and is fun to play.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

If you read all that and come away with nothing but "I don't like elite dangerous" you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

I wonder where people would get that idea...

Amethyst posted:

When are the going to add basic npc communication? Have they said which season? It seems like the feature which would have the best cost/benefit to produce yet they're inexplicably implementing airless planet landing first.

Amethyst posted:

The UI being slow as hell in general is likely due to it being all coming from over the network, right?

Amethyst posted:

Wow, that's extremely annoying and stupid.

Amethyst posted:

That's so lame.

I'm getting really tired of this feeling like an expensive alpha.

Amethyst posted:

Shipping a game with placeholder locations is lame. full stop. It's feature incomplete. This isn't a case of "Oh well if they made the moon then we wouldn't have flight thrusters!" It's a matter of "Our playerbase is willing to accept a moronic level of compromise in the environment, so we're going to just go with it."

Plus, it isn't only the moon thing. It's the lackluster mission design, and the shallow game systems.

Frontier have gotten away with a lot, thus far, because people view them as an underdog indie, but looking at those sales figures, this is a heavily resourced developer that we should expect better from.

Amethyst posted:

Like I said, you're happy to play an expensive alpha. That's fine. I'm not.

Amethyst posted:

I stopped playing a couple of weeks ago, thanks for asking.

:iiam:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wonder where people would get that idea...

:iiam:

Those are all extremely specific critiques, not a blanket "this game is bad". I'm not sure why I need to explain all this to you, it's self evident stuff that a 4th grader could figure out.

Okay.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thank you for making the EVE thread look like a bastion of good posting by comparison. Keep up the good work.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As a new player with horizons I've found that finding surface escape pods is a decent way to get some early money. Everytime I've found one I've always found at least one more (sometimes 3 or 4), and you can take the extras to instantly finish future escape pod missions (I think you can also sell them for like 5-6k or something too if you don't want them filling up your cargo). A lot of these missions pay 50k to 100k which is better than most of the new player courier missions I've seen.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Why do these games make it so drat hard to just dock on a station? I remember blowing up in X3 just trying to following the dock arrows and oops was going to fast, explosion.

I can't even complete the docking training mission, my ship is bouncing all over the loving place and I just give up.

Why can't these space sims just allow a simple "Dock at Spaceport" and off you go? Why do I need to try so drat hard to land perfectly, else I bounce around and blow up?

I know I'm going to get the standard answer, but making docking of all things frustrating I never understood. I want to play this game and explore the universe, but instead I'm trying the Docking tutorial over and over and it just makes me not want to play. I got to deal with this docking poo poo EVERY place I go? Just let me dock and explore, holy poo poo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Barreft posted:

Why do these games make it so drat hard to just dock on a station? I remember blowing up in X3 just trying to following the dock arrows and oops was going to fast, explosion.

I can't even complete the docking training mission, my ship is bouncing all over the loving place and I just give up.

Why can't these space sims just allow a simple "Dock at Spaceport" and off you go? Why do I need to try so drat hard to land perfectly, else I bounce around and blow up?

I know I'm going to get the standard answer, but making docking of all things frustrating I never understood. I want to play this game and explore the universe, but instead I'm trying the Docking tutorial over and over and it just makes me not want to play. I got to deal with this docking poo poo EVERY place I go? Just let me dock and explore, holy poo poo.

Hmmm I never found docking particularly hard. Are you using your lateral and up/down thrusters?

Like, when you are fairly close to the landing pad, your throttle should be at 0%, starting out. then just gently maneuver with those secondary thrusters. After a while it should be a piece of cake.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Barreft posted:

Relax, you can buy a docking computer as an internal component that does it for you while playing a soothing tune.

I like the manual docking and landing, personally. This is basically a game about flying a spaceship around and that's just a part of it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm using a mouse and keyboard, maybe that's it? I try to move forward even a little bit and it has me slamming into a tower or wall as I'm trying to square a landing. Everything just seems to move way too fast for such a small square to land in.

e: But please tell me where to buy this Docking thing, as I want to play this game and I'll only get better once I get some time in but docking is stopping me from even trying.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 7, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Barreft posted:

Docking is like 50% of the gameplay, I'm not loving kidding.

It just takes practice, once you get it down it's infinitely more satisfying than some lame "dock at spaceport" button. Before long you'll be boosting through the slot and skidding onto pads like a champ, don't worry.

What's your control method? edit: Try swapping yaw to the mouse and roll to the keys. The default is the other way around, and it's not terribly intuitive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Barreft posted:

I'm using a mouse and keyboard, maybe that's it? I try to move forward even a little bit and it has me slamming into a tower or wall as I'm trying to square a landing. Everything just seems to move way too fast for such a small square to land in.

e: But please tell me where to buy this Docking thing, as I want to play this game and I'll only get better once I get some time in but docking is stopping me from even trying.

You can buy it in most stations, after docking.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Barreft posted:

Here's a list of stations that sell the Standard Docking Computer, in order of distance from Goat:

http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting/system/288/outfitting/432

It's a pretty common component, though, so you can just make a habit of checking the outfitting at any station you visit.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.
Elite has a long and hilariously infuriating history with the docking game. Download the original games for a good (horrible crashy) time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sammich posted:

Elite has a long and hilariously infuriating history with the docking game. Download the original games for a good (horrible crashy) time.

And he doesn't mean the game itself crashes.

Barreft, keep trying it'll click eventually. Are your gear down? Are you orientated on the pad correctly? (Nose of the ship pointing in the direction of the arrows or the top of the hologram that pops up when you get near the pad -- unless it's bugged which doesn't happen that often).

Also in the keybindings you can set a series of thruster input overrides for when your gear are down. I recommend binding thrust forward and backward to a pair of keys. That way you don't have to fuss with the throttle while you're trying to line yourself up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tooterfish posted:

What's your control method? edit: Try swapping yaw to the mouse and roll to the keys. The default is the other way around, and it's not terribly intuitive.

Is there a site to show me the bindings? Cause playing default just feels weird (Hence me flying into poo poo with only a button touch) and I'm not smart enough to just know to bind yaw and roll. (I'm pretty sure I get roll, but I have no idea wtf yaw means).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Barreft posted:

(I'm pretty sure I get roll, but I have no idea wtf yaw means).

Turning left or right on the x axis. Same as you do in a plain old car.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Amethyst posted:

I do like Elite Dangerous. But, it has so, so much unfulfilled potential, and that makes for an interesting critical discussion. If you aren't interested in that discussion, fine. You really don't need to make a bunch of dumb little posts about it.

And you need to work on your discussion skills. Your arguments boil down to an emotional 'I don't like E:D because it's not a complete game' opinion. The former is an opinion and thus has very limited discussion potential and your stance on the latter seems based upon your conceptions of what makes a game 'complete.'
Elite is not complete. It is feature-complete, a term which when properly used denotes a game in Beta, when the core gameplay mechanics are there and present and everything needs some polish. Elite has some of that polish focused in the right places (flight model, sound design, visuals etc.) and is still working on polishing up the rest.

Thus, you are completely correct in saying that Elite is not complete. Therefor, your only argument is that you don't like it and you don't like how Frontier is handling the continuing development of the game.

Again, of which there is very little discussion opportunity.

Barreft posted:

Is there a site to show me the bindings? Cause playing default just feels weird (Hence me flying into poo poo with only a button touch) and I'm not smart enough to just know to bind yaw and roll. (I'm pretty sure I get roll, but I have no idea wtf yaw means).

With KB+M you really have to move some bindings around to make the game feel really good. The rest is practice. Roll is the ship rotating in place. Yaw is the ship turning left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Barreft posted:

The default kb/m controls are an abomination. Copy this guy for a pretty good setup. After that and a bit of practice you honestly shouldn't have any trouble flying.

• Locked thread