Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

apseudonym posted:

That's definitely joystick order issues. You need to make sure the combined joystick/throttle is the first device.

yea i went and plugged my joystick/throttle/pedals/trackir into my usb hub in a different order and now everything works. :falcon:

edit: scratch that. everything works until I try to take off, and then everything on my joystick (all buttons as well as the Y and X axes) stops working. throttle and pedals continue working normally, though. this loving game

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Flying a Mig-21 is hard. I did succeed in pulling off the hardest non-fatal landing in history though. I think the gear were down when I started but they definitely weren't there when the plane stopped.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Yea I've found you have to be going pretty fast to land the mig21. Don't ever set the throttle to idle until you're already on the ground because it will drop down quick and break the gear. Don't be afraid to touch down halfway down the runway and then hit the drag chute.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Try landing it on a carrier for a good challenge. It's mostly down to timing (and a lot of luck) but the real trick is to glide in below deck altitude, pull up and deploy the chute while ascending onto the deck. You already have to be going pretty slow to do even that without running off the end of the carrier and it ends up being a pretty hard vertical impact but it's surprisingly sturdy none the less.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 4, 2016

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ghetto wormhole posted:

Flying a Mig-21 is hard. I did succeed in pulling off the hardest non-fatal landing in history though. I think the gear were down when I started but they definitely weren't there when the plane stopped.

You basically described 75% of my landings with the MiG-21.

The other 25% are fatal.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I just bought Track IR, CH Throttle and a T16000M on Amazon. Less dent in the wallet if I upgrade to the fighterstick and pedals later on. Are goons still getting together for Falcon BMS regularly? I have been reading through the manual but don't have anything to fly with right now. Time zones might be difficult since I am in Japan but it'd be cool if I knew there were still goons flying together with any regularity.

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
I got both DCS and BMS. I also scored the A-10C module while Steam had it on sale. Is there a semi regular Goon DCS server to play on get shot down by SAMs on?

I tried BMS but I couldn't seem to find a basic training mission. It just threw me in a F-16 and let me get shot down by something. SAMs

gently caress SAMs forever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think Mirage or concice are? I hate BMS but once I get tired of civilian sims I'll probably start hosting DCS again, if that's up your alley.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I haven't touched bms in a couple weeks but I'll definately be playing again at some point. Me and another goon play dcs during the week and were usually in the air goons mumble. Mostly evenings eastern time. I've been working on missions that make sense for multiple aircraft.

Sams in dcs aren't enough of a threat since su-25s and ai f16s can out range all of them. So they're only a threat if you don't run a sead mission beforehand. I'm trying to make missions in which you don't have all of the intelligence ahead of time and have to rely on ground forces for information.

In bms on the other hand the Sam ai is much more clever.

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
I'll run a SEAD mission in the SU25T but it seems like the AI is smart enough to not turn on all the SAMs. When I come back to the same waypoint in my A-10 I turn into a missile dodging son of a bitch. Real Talk: I suck at it.

Lately I have my son fly in with his A-10 while I lord over him with my SU25T. When the SAMs turn on to shoot his dumb rear end down I nail it.

When he asks why he has to be the bait I explain in "Dad Voice" that it's because I said so. :smuggo:

I'll add the AirGoon mumble to my list. Once I get my homemade Track IR hammered out I'll drop in.

TardedPanda fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 6, 2016

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Goons turn me into a flight sim curmudgeon when it comes to BMS. I could host a proper dedicated server now, but eh. If you want to play, you seriously need to actually read relevant sections of the flight manual. Also since you have a cluster gently caress of hardware you need to write your own keyfile by hand. There is a manual that details the process. There are no workarounds or easy ways out. Keyfile generators don't work. No one has a keyfile for your setup. Bite the bullet and read.

A good working knowledge of how computers actually work beyond "Windows is magical and does everything for me" helps. Falcon is old, obtuse, and unforgiving. It's like getting TIE Fighter to work with your sound card in DOS. The game may temporarily bork your setup from time to time, but once you know how to solve the problem it should be fairly routine.

It will take you at least 2 hours to set the game up properly for your controls, and probably another 8+ to be a competent pilot. After that the game is fantastic, even in single player. I love it, but it requires patience and a willingness to put in the effort to learn.

Hit me up on IRC (wonkotron) if you have questions.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm in the process of reinstalling BMS. If we do big BMS groups again I'd love to handle AWACS.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'd love to find goons who fly the MiG-21. Anyone out there? I'm EST, if that matters to you.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I fly the mig21 on and off. I've been working through the dynamic campaign trying to get better.

I'll try organizing something next week if there's interest

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I fly the Mig-21 all the time. Its probably my favourite aircraft in DCS.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm interested although I'm Extremely Bad.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the Mig-21 though, I've got a pretty good control setup and I figured out how to work the weapon systems pretty well tonight. Most of the missiles suck rear end but I did hit an F-16 with a Kh-66 :hellyeah:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I always flew WWII stuff because it was a lot easier to point guns at targets and shoot at them than figure out radars and missiles and stuff. This is my first dip into modern aircraft but I have been reading through the BMS manual and tutorials. I have the A-10C in DCS World but not the Mig 21. If everyone would rather fly that together, I am game for whatever, I just need to wait on my stuff to get here and figure out what the hell I am doing. Weekends would be better for me because of the 14 hour difference between here and the east coast.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
gently caress the lovely engine on that thing cutting out whenever you point it down for more than 3 seconds though. Ridiculous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's why you can roll 13 times per second.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

gently caress the lovely engine on that thing cutting out whenever you point it down for more than 3 seconds though. Ridiculous.

Pull out of burner, then it's 15 seconds.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Forums Terrorist posted:

Pull out of burner, then it's 15 seconds.

Yeah I was running emergency afterburner too, that's probably my problem. The manual says 3 seconds of fuel is available when running EAB while inverted.

edit: gotta go fast

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 7, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So what is the best way to practice air to air? I just picked up Flaming Cliffs, and the additional SU27 campaign and boy do I suck. I keep getting target fixated and eating a heatseaker. What is the best way that I can train myself to keep my head on a swivel that doesn't include flying for half an hour before I get to be shot down by SU25s.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strange poo poo afoot! I DLed 1.5.2 for DCS, and the A-10C isnt in the list of modules I can install/buy. I installed the others I own, but the A-10C straight up isnt present in the list at all :shrug:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah I was running emergency afterburner too, that's probably my problem. The manual says 3 seconds of fuel is available when running EAB while inverted.

edit: gotta go fast

The mig is a collection of parts having a contest to see which can break first.

Your radar only works for 20 minutes of combat,
But that won't matter because you only have 10 minutes of gas
which wont matter because you only have 5 minutes worth of missiles,
which won't matter because your engine will explode after 3 minutes of E-burner

Still best jet in DCS.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

jadebullet posted:

So what is the best way to practice air to air? I just picked up Flaming Cliffs, and the additional SU27 campaign and boy do I suck. I keep getting target fixated and eating a heatseaker. What is the best way that I can train myself to keep my head on a swivel that doesn't include flying for half an hour before I get to be shot down by SU25s.

Make a really basic mission with you/player and two other similar aircraft, remove all weapons except cannon and set way points on collision course. Setup your separation to something your comfortable with to setup your systems then reduce the distance until your no longer having fun.
At first kill them both as quickly as possible, then after awhile take your time on the first guy, get used to countering his moves and making sure you don't get speed hole upgrades to your airframe from the guy sneaking up behind.
The last change you could make after this would be making the AI fly more nimble aircraft.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, with cannons only it isn't so bad, since I am coming from WWI/II games, but its those drat heatseakers, so I guess I will just do that, only have the missiles enabled as well.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
First of all, if you get into a furball with heaters you will most certainly die. Doesn't matter how good you are, some scrub lord will get you with a belly shot when you're not looking. The best way to survive is not to play that game. Use your radar and long range missiles to sort and engage before getting to dogfight range. Then turn around and extend for distance before re-engaging.

A couple of useful tips though.

1) Get a missile off first. Even if it's at max range and likely won't hit, it forces the enemy to react to it and disrupts their attack. If you're lucky he'll be disoriented after dodging your shot that he loses sight of you and is defenseless.

2) STOP WATCHING YOUR MISSILES. It's so pretty to watch that white missile trail connect with the bandit and the explosion that follows. However that usually means you're neither maneuvering or looking for threats.

After you shoot you should immediately be either maneuvering for a re-attack or going defensive. A reflexive break turn and check six after shooting is never a bad idea. Who knows who has been sneaking up on you while you were target fixated.

And guess what, that motor flash and missile smoke just gave away your position to everyone else in the area. If they hadn't spotted you before, they most certainly have now. Consider it's time to GTFO.

3) TWO SHOTS. Redundancy. Nuff said.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Hey so, I thought I'd try here since ultrawide is great for sims.

I bought a LG 29UM57-P 29IN Ultrawide IPS LED Monitor in 2560x1080p from a local brick and mortar store a while back. It was on their "unpackaged", as a show item or some poo poo. No returns. Anyway, so I used to have a 32 inch 1920x1080 monitor and while this is wider, and thus better in my eyes, it's just not tall enough. A ultra wide 29 inch is just as tall as a regular 23 inch widescreen, so ugh.
I'm looking to buy a 34inch ultra wide now that I got to enjoy the ultra wide resolution. I just can't bear to watch my wife's 32 inch monitor next to me.

Haven't encountered games besides terraria and Red Orchestra 2 that don't support it, and it is loving great. I can just open console and type "setres 2560x1080" in RO2 to fix it. Haven't figured anything out for Terraria.

In flight sims it's great to have wider view of your front and poo poo. There is a veeeeeeery unnoticeable scrape on the left side, of which pictures are provided. Most likely from its life as a show display. It doesn't affect the visuals anyway, and it's not really noticeable when monitor is on. When it's off, you can see it faintly, and against clear white background you can also kindasorta see it. Pictures are provided.

I pledge my sacred flight sim honor here in saying that it really is barely noticeable if at all when you have even lightly colored stuff on the screen. But, monitors like this are around 330 dollar mark, and I'm looking to sell this for 220 and shipping. Otherwise it's in great condition and it comes with HDMI cable and a power cord and brick.

After talking to EvilJoven, I did realize that with lots of 3rd party FSX or XPLANE stuff, you should be wary, the gauges might not work since these games just recently arrived into regular widescreen support with their custom poo poo.
But with this monitor, you can use black bars on both sides to force 1920x1080p, and you can also divide this into smaller screens and poo poo.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

The mig is a collection of parts having a contest to see which can break first.

Your radar only works for 20 minutes of combat,
But that won't matter because you only have 10 minutes of gas
which wont matter because you only have 5 minutes worth of missiles,
which won't matter because your engine will explode after 3 minutes of E-burner

Still best jet in DCS.

Of all the jets, it has the most charm. It's just fun.

I just finished trying out the Oculus Rift DK2 in DCS. It was nothing short of amazing. Yes, it has its issues (pixel density lol) but I read that's basically solved in the retail version. Playing in VR makes such a difference it's mind blowing. I was actually able to land the MiG-21 and felt like I actually had a handle on what I was doing.

Even though I was playing the crappy version of the supposedly crappier VR platform, I was blown away.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Vahakyla posted:

I'm looking to buy a 34inch ultra wide now that I got to enjoy the ultra wide resolution. I just can't bear to watch my wife's 32 inch monitor next to me.

I went from a 27" 16:9 monitor to a 34" 21:9 and they are about the same height, so you'll definitely be happier with the larger one.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Vahakyla posted:

Haven't figured anything out for Terraria.

I have a Terraria working in 3440x1440 on an Acer X34. It was a bit of a faff but nothing like, oh I don't know... getting your controls set up in BMS.
I followed this: http://romsteady.blogspot.ca/2015/06/romterraria-4-released.html
Might break with any updates I guess, but its working fine right now.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I like that everytime I upload a Mig-21 video to youtube it asks me if I want to stabilize the shaking. The shaking means you're doing things right. If you pull hard and it stops shaking, you have a problem.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Strange poo poo afoot! I DLed 1.5.2 for DCS, and the A-10C isnt in the list of modules I can install/buy. I installed the others I own, but the A-10C straight up isnt present in the list at all :shrug:

Manually install it from the CLI updater. I had a similar issue but it turned out that my module was in a separate user login (but with the same email wtf)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Doing the Fortress Mozdok campaign because I've never actually tried any of these campaigns in years of owning DCS. Other than the radio getting seriously desynced (makes AWACS calls useless when it needs to work through a backlog of 20 messages before it gets to the current ones) its a lot of fun.

The SU-27 is a dogfighting machine. Its BVR capabilities are a bit crap because of Russian avionics (no time of flight indicator for the R-27s is a pain in the rear end I find) but once you're in knife range you're basically playing on god mode. Outturn everything NATO has all day long.

Edit: Three gun kills in one engagement, haha. 30mm cannon is the way to go. No need for 4000 rounds a minute if all it takes is a single bullet to blow a F-16's wing off.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 10, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm in to mission 5 or (apparently the 1.5 update erased my campaign data)...was up to 5 or 6 in the Flanker campaign, I think the one where we have to chase down the American AWACS. It seems fun, but I haven't really done much else to compare. Time consuming flying so far all the time. I really like the Flanker, but yeah, BVR is pretty hard, there is a lot going on in that thing and hard to watch all of it since the panel layout separates the essentials.

I just picked a PS3 eye camera, does anyone know how to set those up well with the FaceTrackNoIR software? Bonkers told me on airgoons mumble today that there is a driver I need and that it's a pretty poo poo get up, but I just wanted something to get basic head tracking. Sorry I couldn't kill anything in the Frogfoot.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah you'll need the CL-Eye driver. Its three bux American. Worth it if you want to use the PS3 Eye. Good camera and driver. About the only thing you need to do to get it ready for head tracking (assuming you're using LEDs that are bright enough to blast through the IR Filter, if not you may need to remove it) is to open the CL-Eye Test app that comes with the driver, go to Options and Video Capture Filter. Then lower the gain to nearly nothing and move the exposure up to the point where you get nice distinct circles of LED light. If your LEDs aren't powerful enough you might need to gently caress with it until you get relatively decent looking dots without a lot of glare. A piece of floppy disk magnetic film (the black circular part) is a really good visible light filter if background light is mucking things up (its transparent to IR). Just tape it over the lens cylinder bit. If you remove the IR filter the camera will be useless as a webcam for Omegle dick vids; the IR filter acts a lens and without it the image becomes a blurry mess.

Don't use FacetrackNoIr its no longer maintained and has a pretty lovely jitter filter. Use OpenTrack. Its actively maintained, has a really good filter (Accela 3) and the Point Tracker plugin for use with an LED rig is also being actively maintained. Feel free to use my Opentrack Profile as a starting point or example. Keep in mind my Point Tracker rig probably has different dimensions than yours so you'll need to change those and I like snappy precise tracking that might feel a little to twitchy to some people. If you're using Opentrack with Falcon 4 be sure to launch it after falcon has started so Opentrack properly detects the 64-bit executable.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Am I right in understanding that Opentrack currently doesn't do facetracking? Any suggestion for a previous version?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you need Facetracking you're probably better off with FacetrackNoIR. The Facetrack API has never really worked well with Opentrack.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm going to need a step-by-step guide or something, because many posts out there say "I got it working" or "install the thing, enjoy head tracking" but it doesn't go like that at all.

I installed opentrack 2.3 prior to the disconnecting of the face tracking api - it seems to work on the point tracker, but that's no good right, because it picks up a million points in the room and the octopus has a seizure? The facetrack crashed the program.
Next up I installed FaceTrackNoIR - no raw input data is displayed, it added a bunch of devices to DCS controls including virtual joysticks and the TrackIR column, upon loading a flight it just locks the view forward without tracking and the mouse just causes flicking.
I then copied in the the ED headtracking api folder to the /bin directory of the game, but no change.

Can someone walk me through from the start? No doubt I'm missing some steps here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I know the Mirage is still in beta, but honestly the drat thing feels like it flies on rails, almost on the verge of not having a perceptible flight model :confused:

Or is that just the benefit of fly by wire?

Flying the Mig-21 is a visceral experience in comparison.