Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

Hope this guy didn't follow through on it, since the price of crude has fallen nearly 50% since this post. Of course, that just means that now is definitely the time to buy! :D

This is good for Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Blue story is back in her thread.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Chaucer posted:

The pet psychic testimonials are great.
http://thepetpsychic.com/testimonials-pet-psychic/

Trying to imagine how you practice chiropractic and acupuncture on a cat.

I have seen the acupuncture charts for a cat. Whoever made that chart must have owned one really pissed off cat. However I don't know how you would adjust a cat's bones given they are free floating so that's extra BWM.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

NancyPants posted:

Every time I see this stuff I get so frustrated that I'm not making money off this.

Yeah, pretty much this. Being the practitioner in a completely unregulated industry like horse psychic seems like the best any person could possibly be with money. You probably have to tuck a "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer somewhere on your website, but otherwise, telling people that their dog loves them and wants more Milkbone seems about the easiest thing in the world.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Devian666 posted:

My understanding of 401k loans is that the intention was for providing cheap finance say to help buy a house. Yet I've never heard of a 401k loan being used for this purpose in BFC.

I did this, but after very careful research. For example, many 401k plans state that loans become due immediately if your employment ends, which usually leads to the loan being changed to a withdrawal (10% penalty plus large tax bill).

In my case it was a change in values I guess, I had put a high percentage of my income into the 401k so it wasn't somewhere accessible for a home. I didn't want to permanently reduce retirement accounts e.g. IRA withdrawal, the 401k loan is a compromise between not forfeiting tax advantaged space and investment returns. My rate is 4.25% paid to the 401k balance. That looks favorable given the past six or so months in sp500 but that is just good fortune.

Pet psychic contribution, my dog probably has some very unpleasant things to say about the neighbor's cat and the squirrels in our trees so it's better that she not know words.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When my wife's horse was really stupid under saddle, but calm everywhere else, she looked at the saddle. The flocking was impacted and hard as a rock so it was pinching the horse's spine, causing her to flinch herself into running away from the pain. Maybe dingus there could check that instead of loving equine massage/horse therapy. They do horse acupuncture too. I know way too much about this poo poo. Also, 67% chance the owner is way too fat and the horse cant understand (her?) aids and she's too strong on it's mouth. She'll probably end up riding with a martingale to keep the horse's head down and more and more aggressive bridles/draw reigns. She'll beat that horse into submission, or have it injected with some wierd poo poo that calms them down for 6 months at a time, but ends up giving them brain damage, so when it wears off they're even more stupid.

I'm so happy to be away from that poo poo now. What a loving money pit that was. My wife was spending as much for her share of rent and bills as she was for that dumb horse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Guinness posted:

The reason BFC does not generally advise 401k home loans is that many, many people do not use them responsibly, and often use them to buy more house than they can actually afford.

Doesn't mean that 401k home loans are always BWM, they are just a financial tool like anything else. But like any tool it can be used or abused, and in this case a lot of people out there fall into the latter.

I dunno, it seems to me that no matter what, if it's not more house than you can afford, you can wait a few years for the down payment. 401k loans for a down payment just seems impatient to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BloodBag posted:

When my wife's horse was really stupid under saddle, but calm everywhere else, she looked at the saddle. The flocking was impacted and hard as a rock so it was pinching the horse's spine, causing her to flinch herself into running away from the pain. Maybe dingus there could check that instead of loving equine massage/horse therapy. They do horse acupuncture too. I know way too much about this poo poo. Also, 67% chance the owner is way too fat and the horse cant understand (her?) aids and she's too strong on it's mouth. She'll probably end up riding with a martingale to keep the horse's head down and more and more aggressive bridles/draw reigns. She'll beat that horse into submission, or have it injected with some wierd poo poo that calms them down for 6 months at a time, but ends up giving them brain damage, so when it wears off they're even more stupid.

I'm so happy to be away from that poo poo now. What a loving money pit that was. My wife was spending as much for her share of rent and bills as she was for that dumb horse.

Which did you get rid of?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chaucer posted:

Trying to imagine how you practice chiropractic and acupuncture on a cat.

It's probably just as bad as those who learn how to give chiro to babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBQfjGRaiQ

oh wait, they don't really know anything it's complete bullshit to give an infant chiro

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

silvergoose posted:

Which did you get rid of?

:lol: The horse got re-homed to a nice place in New York that specializes in OTTB(off the track thoroughbreds)

E: thankfully, the wife realized at the end there that she enjoyed grooming and doing all the barn stuff more than actually riding. So, if she goes back to that, hopefully she'll get paid for it. She used to be a trainer, way back when, in Maryland.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Just in case you didn't click through the last link I posted, you yourself can now commission 54 minutes of meditation video "with angels" over the course of 3 months for only $300,000.

(link removed)

Switchback fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 25, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's a long shot, but if they manage to sell even one of those they're set for a few years.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

oh wait, they don't really know anything it's complete bullshit to give an infant anyone chiro
FTFY.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Saros posted:

Blue story is back in her thread.

Where?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#post454602146

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
She still hasn't posted the star wars rooms with the toys covered in filth.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't even realize how much I had missed her.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
BlueStoryChat is now dominating her thread, also the health care thread and now this one and I am so tired of her bullshit. So, talking about her in BFC is now a probatable offense :D

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Never change, reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3za58z/quitting_our_jobs_to_move_to_our_dream_location/ posted:

My wife and I have an overwhelming urge to relocate to our dream town, a year round resort area (skiing in winter, boating in summer). I've spent the last 10+ years of my life in a cubicle and as much as the prospect of quitting our jobs and selling our home makes me anxious, I dread the thought of any more time stuck in a shoebox for 50 hours a week.

We are both early 30s and have been very financially responsible to this point. We aren't rolling in dough but our only debt is our mortgage. My biggest concerns are burning through savings ($140k cash, not including 401k which we won't touch) while we look for employment and not being able to find decent paying work. I know we could make it work by simply finding two jobs with the average pay for that area ($21-22/hr). A lot of positions are working outdoors which would be a dream come true.

I see a lot of great advice on this board - has anyone been there & done that with what I'm describing? Are there any books that you suggest? Any checklist to run through before we move?

Guess I'm just feeling very anxious about "letting go" of the security of what should be an ideal current life for many people.
Sensible replies ensue, mostly along the lines of "get a job before you move" and "are you sure you like that area when you're not vacationing at a resort there?".

But someone made the mistake of asking why, specifically, the types of job in a resort town would want 30-something office workers. (Bolding mine)

quote:

TealParadise: to me, attitude goes a long ways. I lived in a car when starting out and no one helped me. I've worked two full-time jobs when it wasn't needed so as to create a safety net. I've created and sold a successful small business. I've also worked outdoors previously, in what seems like a lifetime ago, for $18/hr. Assuming 2-3% inflation I should be worth more than $22/hr.

Why would someone hire me? Because I guarantee that I will try harder than anyone else and my "cubicle life" has provided amazing business acumen to the point that I should be on the Avengers. I can bring $22/hr value to a company like no one else. I never said I was looking for "fun" work as you say.. I'll do anything for a living.

If it came down to me and most anyone else responding to this thread, I would hire me.

And apparently OP didn't like the responses to that, so they edited this on the top of their original post. (Bolding not mine)

quote:

Update: We went ahead and packed the car and are on our way to paradise. I asked if anyone had "been there, done that" and while everyone had an opinion, two of the three people that actually had this experience were successful. I'll take those odds and especially considering that tens of thousands of residents in such resort towns are getting by just fine.

Man, most of you people strike me as bitter and the type that tailgate for no reason.. you swerve through traffic and slam on your brakes only to get to the next red light at the same time as the rest of us. And while my modest car is paid off, your $600 monthly lease for the ultimate driving machine means you are stuck at the job until 2050. Go ahead and flip me the bird from your gas-guzzling exotic while my mpg triples yours!

Most of you probably bought "The 4-Hour Workweek" back in 2009 but are still working 60 hours each week. What I should do is write a book on "how to live where you want to live" and sell that for a living. Sheesh.

I'm also retiring from Reddit and will never read your replies. Take that!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That guy has bipolar disorder, I would put money on it. Bouncing between I'M MISERABLE EVERYTHING IS AWFUL right to I AM THE GREATEST THING EVER SUCK MY DIIIIIICK TAILGATERS

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

slap me silly posted:

BlueStoryChat is now dominating her thread, also the health care thread and now this one and I am so tired of her bullshit. So, talking about her in BFC is now a probatable offense :D

Move over SoundMonkey, I've got a new favourite mod :swoon:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Never change, reddit.

Sensible replies ensue, mostly along the lines of "get a job before you move" and "are you sure you like that area when you're not vacationing at a resort there?".

But someone made the mistake of asking why, specifically, the types of job in a resort town would want 30-something office workers. (Bolding mine)

And apparently OP didn't like the responses to that, so they edited this on the top of their original post. (Bolding not mine)

Well at least he's not one of those "I have 2 dollars and I'm spending it all on moving across the country to chase my drrreeammmm!" people.

Hopefully they still have a decent chunk of cash when they realise how terrible of an idea it was.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

slap me silly posted:

I just want to say I loving love you Jesus Christ thank you

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rudager posted:

Well at least he's not one of those "I have 2 dollars and I'm spending it all on moving across the country to chase my drrreeammmm!" people.

Hopefully they still have a decent chunk of cash when they realise how terrible of an idea it was.

Yeah, one of my friends used to work at an all season resort in Donnelly, Idaho, and I can't imagine what work a cubicle dweller in their early 30s could find in that small town to enable them to enjoy the resort whenever they pleased. My friend was working there in the summer building trails while finishing an accounting degree, and his accounts of illiterate coworkers and getting his foot crushed by a boulder make it seem like a young man's game.

Sidenote: this was at Tamarack Resort, for a legendary bad with money experience get a loan for $250 million and build a luxury resort right before the 2008 crisis.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

slap me silly posted:

Thank you thank you thank you. How about humblebrags and car talk next?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hmmm, an American thinking that his health will never fail him. First time I've heard that one.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
A series of 3 podcasts about how loving stupid the "sharing economy" is:

http://www.sharingeconomy.fail

Remember, if you ever use any of the postmates / uber / instazyng / superslaff / farpydarp / coocoocachoobot, you're propping up an unsustainable ridiculous business model that will fail miserably pay enough congresspeople to gut all labour laws to make the gig economy the new normal.

My favourite moment is in the second episode where he talks to a guy from door dash who says he likes the base pay of 15 dollars an hour, then later in the queue he's in he talks to another door dasher who says door dash just changed that policy and there's no base pay any more as of the last app update.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 7, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I just got quoted $5500 for a "basic package" by a wedding photographer. It includes two photographers for the one-site ceremony and reception. No video. No rehearsal. No brunch. No engagement session. No copyright release. Prints extra above a handful included.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I just got quoted $5500 for a "basic package" by a wedding photographer. It includes two photographers for the one-site ceremony and reception. No video. No rehearsal. No brunch. No engagement session. No copyright release. Prints extra above a handful included.

^^^^look at moneybags over here^^^^^^^

We got married by a justice of the peace while in the back seat of a paid-off 1997 Civic on our way to our second jobs. For photos we all just snapped selfies with our 10-year old flip phones, then transferred the images onto our laptop with a broken screen we found in a dumpster since our phones don't have phone plans/service.

We sent out a mass email inviting people to contribute to our vanguard IRA's, then spent our honeymoon selling blood plasma while writing paid content blog posts with the non-needled arm.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No wedding chat please :negative:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pathetic little tramp posted:

Remember, if you ever use any of the postmates / uber / instazyng / superslaff / farpydarp / coocoocachoobot, you're propping up an unsustainable ridiculous business model

I it's scary that I had to google most of those to know if they were made up or not.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

blugu64 posted:

I it's scary that I had to google most of those to know if they were made up or not.

In the third episode, we find there is a service literally called "ManServant"

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

In the third episode, we find there is a service literally called "ManServant"

Ironically, that's probably one of the less bad ones because it follows a stripper business model instead of the "sharing economy" one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

A series of 3 podcasts about how loving stupid the "sharing economy" is:

http://www.sharingeconomy.fail
I wish the term "sharing economy" would quietly die already. You're not sharing poo poo. You're selling a service. For money. Were neighborhood kids offering to mow lawns a proto-sharing-economy? Or does it only count when apps are involved?

Of course, then it'd be harder for these companies to convince people they're being disruptive and innovative.

quote:

Remember, if you ever use any of the postmates / uber / instazyng / superslaff / farpydarp / coocoocachoobot, you're propping up an unsustainable ridiculous business model that will fail miserably pay enough congresspeople to gut all labour laws to make the gig economy the new normal.

My favourite moment is in the second episode where he talks to a guy from door dash who says he likes the base pay of 15 dollars an hour, then later in the queue he's in he talks to another door dasher who says door dash just changed that policy and there's no base pay any more as of the last app update.
But Uber is nicer than a taxi! Surely there's no way to make a taxi service nicer than traditional taxis without exploiting your workers & ignoring all the laws you can. Surely.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I wish the term "sharing economy" would quietly die already.

But it's disruptive. Disrrrruuuupppttttiiiiiiivvvveee!!!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Haifisch posted:

But Uber is nicer than a taxi! Surely there's no way to make a taxi service nicer than traditional taxis without exploiting your workers & ignoring all the laws you can. Surely.

You could scare the nasty taxi drivers into behaving like human beings by threatening to take all their business to uber.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

You could scare the nasty taxi drivers into behaving like human beings by threatening to take all their business to uber.

"Behaving like human beings" = code word for white drivers, because that's the main reason people hate taxis.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

"Behaving like human beings" = code word for white drivers, because that's the main reason people hate taxis.

Every Uber driver I've called has been Black. Maybe in certain parts of the country there's a racial difference between taxis and Ubers, but in the South people of all colors make terrible career choices.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Shipon posted:

Huge internet rolleyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Their entire game plan (until they have a fleet of robotic cars) is to show up and pay great rates so young white people think it's an awesome job (and lease cars new cars :v: ). Then once they've established themselves with customers as the "better (whiter) alternative to taxis" they "update their app" which slashes rates for drivers until only the people that stick with it are those who were willing to do taxi work in the first place, i.e. low income people, probably minorities.

• Locked thread