Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

This is a work of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm amazed this didn't exist sooner. Shmorky :swoon:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

This is a work of art.

The author has a bunch of other comics he works on, located here: http://comicfury.com/profile.php?username=SVeidt

New Bunny Meat:

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 6, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Jesus, these are depressing as gently caress. Why are we posting them to the thread?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Prequel to the book of bunny suicides?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

somehow depicting everyone as bunnies feels incredibly appropriate and i'm not sure why

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It gives and extra layer of disconnection which makes it easier to swallow until you realize OH WAIT this(allegedly) actually happened to someone.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

neogeo0823 posted:

Jesus, these are depressing as gently caress. Why are we posting them to the thread?

Because I have been waiting for something like this since Pictures for Sad Children got nuked. Where do I go to submit my own childhood trauma?

Plethora posted:

The author has a bunch of other comics he works on, located here: http://comicfury.com/profile.php?username=SVeidt

The profile says it's for a man in Prague but Bunny Meat is signed with a very feminine Japanese name. What's the deal there?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

Because I have been waiting for something like this since Pictures for Sad Children got nuked. Where do I go to submit my own childhood trauma?

The profile says it's for a man in Prague but Bunny Meat is signed with a very feminine Japanese name. What's the deal there?

"Bunny Meat is a tie-in to the graphic novel series Serious Engineering. It is heavily inspired by Nekojiru's Cat Soup comics to the point of being a rip-off."

So my guess is that "Megumi Tomoe" is a fictional author and Bunny Meat is something that is supposed to exist "in-universe" in Serious Engineering. (I haven't read it.)

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Apparently you can leave a comment or send him a note on his Deviant Art account.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Plethora posted:

Apparently you can leave a comment or send him a note on his Deviant Art account.

you're the author why do you keep posting like it's not your comic

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The two I read are depressing enough to make me never want to read another one.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the making comics thread is the thread you seek

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Plethora posted:

I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Well, if it's actual critique you're looking for, I think your skills are pretty good. The characters are well represented, and you're good at showing their emotions. The line work is clean and has a nice "notebook comic" sort of feel to it. It's just that the subject matter is dark as hell, and doesn't make me want to read more. I wanna read comics to escape reality, not to face its harsher realities, you know? Even if you went dark humor, it would still probably be readable, but there's no hook to that comic to make me want to read the next one. "Oh, Sister tried to off herself again? She's probably fine now. Mom, Brother, Sister's done it again. Oh, you don't think it's important to go see her? Ok. Oh, she's dead. gently caress. Mom, Dad, Brother, she's dead." :smithicide:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Plethora, the problem is that you're trying to force the conversation you want. I can understand that it's frustrating when you want feedback and aren't getting it, and maybe even a little disheartening. But you can't just throw up a sockpuppet and go "Hey guys, check out this awesome comic from a smart handsome dude who's totally not me!" Whether or not you're being upfront about the author is a minor quibble, people get annoyed when you harp on something, because it's blatantly obvious you're just trying to get everyone to stop talking about what they're talking about, and start talking about you.

And it's a really good comic, so you don't really need to do that. Just be a little more patient and self-confident, and a little less pushy. :shobon:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that your comic doesn't feature enough demons to warrant discussion in this thread

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Plethora posted:

Yeah if you want feedback, the Making Comics Thread is where you want to be.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SD - Mary, I dunno what your game plan is for making me empathise with Undine but this isn't helping.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 7, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ConanThe3rd posted:

SD - Mary, I dunno what your game plan is for making me empathise with Undine but this isn't helping.

What, you can't empathise with wanting not to be hounded by the press after seeing your friends butchered in front of you?

I mean, I thought "saw her friends butchered" was enough by itself...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, seemed like a stress response to me, not like, an overt attempt at intimidation like some kinda thug.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get that and I get she's stressed/pissed but she's attacking civilians (yes, annoying, pushy, civilians but still, ultimately, powerless civilians) with her powers which absolutely crosses the line.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

TwoPair posted:

The problem is that your comic doesn't feature enough demons to warrant discussion in this thread

I dunno, it seems chock-full of personal demons to me.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Well, if it's actual critique you're looking for, I think your skills are pretty good. The characters are well represented, and you're good at showing their emotions. The line work is clean and has a nice "notebook comic" sort of feel to it. It's just that the subject matter is dark as hell, and doesn't make me want to read more. I wanna read comics to escape reality, not to face its harsher realities, you know? Even if you went dark humor, it would still probably be readable, but there's no hook to that comic to make me want to read the next one. "Oh, Sister tried to off herself again? She's probably fine now. Mom, Brother, Sister's done it again. Oh, you don't think it's important to go see her? Ok. Oh, she's dead. gently caress. Mom, Dad, Brother, she's dead." :smithicide:

I'm on the other end of this. The stories feel real and I think you'd lose something if you tried to dress it up with humor. I can't think of any other comics that are quite like this and I think you'd lose a lot of the appeal if you changed that.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
That's a personal taste thing, entirely. Some folk like dark, others don't, so it goes.

For what it's worth, I've never had a negative response to occasionally linking my comic in this thread, and I know I even got a couple of Kickstarter bids from here, too (ta!), so even if people aren't immediately screaming about how great you are, they do tend to click through and take a look. Trying to trick people is never the way, it's okay to just drop it in here and see what happens.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm on the other end of this. The stories feel real and I think you'd lose something if you tried to dress it up with humor. I can't think of any other comics that are quite like this and I think you'd lose a lot of the appeal if you changed that.

Nearest neighbor interpolation reveals Hyperbole and a Half DNA.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dogwood Fleet posted:

yeah trying to play this kind of stuff up as a jokey thing is what inflicted Something Positive on the world, as it is it's very simple and low-key without overtly editorializing on what's happening and that's perfect. Like the story in this strip is hosed up but also the expressions as the mom puts the cat in the trash are cracking me up. If it's too real for some people there's like fifty hintillion comics about superheroes who can punch away all their problems and you're not gonna compete with those for those folks' interest.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 7, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm definitely not saying that the stories that are being written need humor added, I'm saying the stories need to be something else entirely. Art-wise, I like the way it looks, but story-wise, it's depressing as hell and I don't want to read it because of that. If the author took the same characters/style/universe/whatever and did something completely different that had nothing to do with things like an insensitive mother throwing a dying cat into a garbage can in front of her child, or the previously mentioned suicide story, then I'd probably want to read it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

They are very good at what they're trying to do, but what they're trying to do is something that's utterly horrible and ruins my mood for like an hour after each one I accidentally read.

So good job I guess???? Maybe some people are jnto that but it kinda just actively repulses me at this point, especially when they keep getting posted to this thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kitty noooooo :cry:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Every time I see the loving cat one I am rendered completely miserable and am then compelled to go hug my cat, and let me tell you, she's getting really tired of my poo poo at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have a different kitty comic then

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fortis posted:

Every time I see the loving cat one I am rendered completely miserable and am then compelled to go hug my cat, and let me tell you, she's getting really tired of my poo poo at this point.

As someone who had an outdoors cat mysteriously disappear one day when I was a kid, I feel your pain. :smith:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Have a different kitty comic then

see this is just loathsome, to me

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fortis posted:

The kitten in SSSS has been extremely cute this week. :3:

Everyone post cute kitties doing cute things.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Garfield's a cute kitty, right?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh christ, you posted it again, ohhhh nooo.

Ok, here's my childhood trauma that makes tears well up every time I see this comic. I was like, four years old, and we had kittens in the house. And they were adorable, and I loved playing with them, and it was a great time for everyone involved. One night I couldn't find one of the kittens. I looked, and looked, and finally found the naughty kitten hiding behind a chair. It was pooping! I scolded the kitten, "BAD KITTY!" and picked it up, and took it to the litter box. I set it in the litter box, and it just laid there. It just laid there, and did nothing. I finally went and got my mom. Turns out, the chair it was hiding behind? A rocking chair. The kitten had gotten squished, and that wasn't poop coming out it's butt, that was it's intestines. I think I probably cried for an entire day, after that, and my mom got rid of all the kittens because just seeing one made me cry again! It took me a few years after that to be able to handle kittens again, and even to this day I still remember that poor kitten, especially when I see something like this.

It's traumatic, but also kind of cathartic. It's perfect the way it is, gently caress the haters, if they don't like it that's their deal but I would be pretty disappointed if you changed it. It's raw and emotional and fierce in a way that few other online art offerings can be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Not Drunk Enough, the comic's incredibly expressive and colorful art takes a turn for the worse as Stone attempts to convey a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You want some weapons grade trauma?

One time, when I was 9 years old, my father got so angry at me that he picked me up by my head in a kind of bear hug and carried me across the room. This caused my nose to bleed. The next day, being a child, I mentioned that this had happened at school. Within a day or two the state had taken custody of my brothers and I. I spent the next year as a ward of the state. I would only see my father two more times in my life.

• Locked thread