Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Do you need mums as well? you can always use my skin, I haven't changed mine in years: Same name as on here BTW.

Now back to the mod writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For automated smelting I think I used itemducts blacklisted against ingot casts to remove my ingots and fluiducts with levers or redstone blocks on them.

The trouble with doing it with block casting is if your number of ores you put in isn't divisible by 9.

I think my exact setup was an input chest, one automated ingot cast, and two manual block casts that I used when I was in a hurry for a material. Other than that I'd just dump a big pile of something in and come back later for my ingots

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought this is what I was doing. For what it was worth, connecting a fluiduct->drain->table did not work. However, fluiduct->channel->table did work. Kind of. A little bit of metal was left behind.

Wait, are you talking about basins too?

Smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin or table. You hook the fluiduct directly to the drain, not to a fauset, then you set the fluiduct to extract and power it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SugarAddict posted:

Smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin or table. You hook the fluiduct directly to the drain, not to a fauset, then you set the fluiduct to extract and power it.

What I ended up doing in AS1 was going smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin -> fluiduct -> casting table. If you had a bunch of metal it would fill the basin and harden while also filling the table. The blocks got autocrafted into ingots before storage, IIRC. We eventually had to upgrade to using resonant tanks before the casting basins to get a buffer for the fluid, or it would back up and we'd fill the high oven. It's probably not as much of a problem with a smeltery of any sane size.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

What I ended up doing in AS1 was going smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin -> fluiduct -> casting table. If you had a bunch of metal it would fill the basin and harden while also filling the table. The blocks got autocrafted into ingots before storage, IIRC. We eventually had to upgrade to using resonant tanks before the casting basins to get a buffer for the fluid, or it would back up and we'd fill the high oven. It's probably not as much of a problem with a smeltery of any sane size.

I always used EnderIO pipes, pulling out of the drain, into drums, (3 drums for my emerald farm) 1 for gold, 1 for emerald, 1 for blood (someone always falls into the smeltery)
Then drain the gold back in as the killing medium for villagers,
Emerald into a chain of basins with hoppers below.to extract the emerald blocks.

of course we had soul shards in that pack (ModSauce) meaning i could have a soulshard villager spawner above the smeltery.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If you are doing a constant stream of smelting ores and keep a backlog of processed metals using a basin doesn't matter that much. Some metal will stay in the basin which you will get out when the next batch of ores gets processed

three ingots stuck in the basin doesn't matter that much when you just toss in a stack of ore when you are running low

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah I pipe via ender fluid conduits into storage, and do my casting and alloying from tanks. You can also empty basins/tables via fluid conduits (or even the built in faucet-you can stick a faucet on the side of a table/basin and dump into a tank).

The smeltery changes Blocks to Liquid. Once you have it as a liquid, you can move it around wherever. When you want to cast it, the casting basin/table will accept the liquid.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Blind Duke posted:

If you are doing a constant stream of smelting ores and keep a backlog of processed metals using a basin doesn't matter that much. Some metal will stay in the basin which you will get out when the next batch of ores gets processed

three ingots stuck in the basin doesn't matter that much when you just toss in a stack of ore when you are running low
Yup, the key is to have a basin for each metal type. And to make sure you only toss one kind of ore in at a time to keep from alloying accidentally.

That last part (plus having to supply the smeltery with lava all the time) is the main reason I do my ore doubling automation with TE/EIO and AE2. The smeltery is really nice for babby's first ore doubler, but it's too annoying for it when better options are available. Plus you don't get the secondary outputs like you would from a pulverizer or SAG.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The true solution is a separate smeltery for all metals

5x5x5 black cubes all over the place with pipe hell between

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

I do this every time as industrial hell amuses me

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Blind Duke posted:

Don't you also need at least 2 empty spaces between smelteries, or pipes will start behaving very weirdly?

I remember trying to put two smelteries right next to each other with one set of pipes drawing from the block casters on two separate smelteries, and it did spooky things like putting liquid metal from one smeltery in the others' casters.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a convention with common Technic modpacks to run a public server or something? The BFSR Technic discussion is a whole lot of "where's a server?"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a convention with common Technic modpacks to run a public server or something? The BFSR Technic discussion is a whole lot of "where's a server?"

No. Technic is mostly kids and kids usually just blurt out things they want

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I actually wonder about just using a single smeltery and just pumping everything else into an ME liquid storage system

Though I've never used Applied Energistics and it looks like an absolute massive hassle to set up an ME system.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tyty posted:

I actually wonder about just using a single smeltery and just pumping everything else into an ME liquid storage system

Though I've never used Applied Energistics and it looks like an absolute massive hassle to set up an ME system.

That probably wont work unless you only use it with metals that don't alloy with each other.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There are a lot of packs that are built specifically for someone's server, so you're probably just getting people expecting that. Not sure why anyone would expect it to be public though.

Or maybe they're asking for a prebuilt server instance download?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you have the standard metals and nothing crazy, you should be able to just create two smelteries. I made this picture like two years ago in the previous thread, but it should be still accurate maybe?

Lead Copper Nickel Silver, and the rest on a second basin. Though this was before nether ores existed. Attach one at a time, and make a full bucket, then whitelist the filters with the buckets and move along to the next one.
(replace the tables with basins)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ImpactVector posted:

There are a lot of packs that are built specifically for someone's server, so you're probably just getting people expecting that. Not sure why anyone would expect it to be public though.

Or maybe they're asking for a prebuilt server instance download?

Heh, I wish:

quote:

if there is a server can you tell me the ip of it?

Bhodi posted:

If you have the standard metals and nothing crazy, you should be able to just create two smelteries. I made this picture like two years ago in the previous thread, but it should be still accurate maybe?

How do you keep the pouring going? Do fluiducts just autopour? I'm still experimenting with some of this for the demo rig in the tutorial world.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you keep the pouring going? Do fluiducts just autopour? I'm still experimenting with some of this for the demo rig in the tutorial world.
Filters function as servos as well; just look at the redstone activity at the top and make them always on, yeah. You just have to set them up one at a time and make sure the only ones always on have a whitelist filter in place.

I can set it up for you in the tutorial world if you'd commit your stuff :argh:

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Pro tip: you don't have to make 5x5 smelters anymore. A max size smelter can do a poo poo ton of ore at a time.

However a reasonable casting basin system currently eludes me. They're graphics lag in of themselves, and it's hard to keep trace fluids from being left in the basins. There's a mod called Thermal Smeltery I think that adds in fluid transposer recipes that would probably help immensely, but I haven't messed with it yet.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Heffer posted:

Pro tip: you don't have to make 5x5 smelters anymore. A max size smelter can do a poo poo ton of ore at a time.

However a reasonable casting basin system currently eludes me. They're graphics lag in of themselves, and it's hard to keep trace fluids from being left in the basins. There's a mod called Thermal Smeltery I think that adds in fluid transposer recipes that would probably help immensely, but I haven't messed with it yet.

In reagards to thermal Smeltery, each time you cast a block it consumes the casting frame, which you have to remake (not super expensive but a pain). Honestly what people are saying above is pretty fair and I like the idea of the Filter > Basin > Fluiduct > casting table, but it'll take a while to setup.

Previously I was able to do it with two smelteries and no weird alloying, but now I'm playing with Immersive Engineering to see if I can use that to do it quicker.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Seared bricks are a bitch to get in Regrowth though, and I haven't found a way to automate it. The furnace produces miniscule amounts of liquid seared stone per cobblestone and on top of that you gotta manually click the ingot caster to get them out. The timer for the bricks hardening also gets reset every time you insert liquid so piping it in is actually slower. gently caress making seared bricks is what I'm saying.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Seared bricks are a bitch to get in Regrowth though, and I haven't found a way to automate it. The furnace produces miniscule amounts of liquid seared stone per cobblestone and on top of that you gotta manually click the ingot caster to get them out. The timer for the bricks hardening also gets reset every time you insert liquid so piping it in is actually slower. gently caress making seared bricks is what I'm saying.

Once you have enough bricks to make a 1x1 smeltery (there's no minimum size now) you might be able to start doing it in there, the smeltery is faster than the mariculture stuff.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?
2 cobble = 1 brick, so 8 cobble per block. A vanilla hopper under the ingot caster (or basin or whatever you want) will automatically pull out the contents when the liquid solidifies. Regrowth has buildcraft, so you can use those lovely wooden pipes with a Redstone engine to constantly drain the liquid. Use something to automatically dump stuff into the controller, like another hopper, and you can just throw in tons of cobble and walk away. Lava is a little tough to come by until you get to the nether, but as you get a bigger and bigger smeltery it becomes more and more efficient, making it easier to make more bricks at once, and on and on until you have as much as you want.

I have a 6x6x5 right now that does a stack and a half of something at once. Draining does take forever, though, dunno if buildcraft has faster wooden pipes, but the TE servos can pull out into a tank or drum pretty fast

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

MortuusLupus posted:

2 cobble = 1 brick, so 8 cobble per block. A vanilla hopper under the ingot caster (or basin or whatever you want) will automatically pull out the contents when the liquid solidifies. Regrowth has buildcraft, so you can use those lovely wooden pipes with a Redstone engine to constantly drain the liquid. Use something to automatically dump stuff into the controller, like another hopper, and you can just throw in tons of cobble and walk away. Lava is a little tough to come by until you get to the nether, but as you get a bigger and bigger smeltery it becomes more and more efficient, making it easier to make more bricks at once, and on and on until you have as much as you want.

I have a 6x6x5 right now that does a stack and a half of something at once. Draining does take forever, though, dunno if buildcraft has faster wooden pipes, but the TE servos can pull out into a tank or drum pretty fast

To add to all of this, once you get to Gold seeds you can make a Stripes Pipe which acts as a block breaker when powered by a wooden engine. Plonk it down next to a cobblegen and you don't have to go caving for stone ever again. Further, Stripes Pipes absolutely ignore material hardness so you can (with a bit of work juggling pipes around) harvest everything in the Nether no problem. Further still, they break the 'normal' ores once you've run your nether ores through a furnace so I'm rolling in redstone dust and diamonds despite not having the third infusion stone. The resource I'm hurting for now is Clay so I can finally make a crucible furnace and start my own smeltery operation, but I just need to make a gills potion to plunder the coastline and I'll be in business.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edminster posted:

To add to all of this, once you get to Gold seeds you can make a Stripes Pipe which acts as a block breaker when powered by a wooden engine. Plonk it down next to a cobblegen and you don't have to go caving for stone ever again. Further, Stripes Pipes absolutely ignore material hardness so you can (with a bit of work juggling pipes around) harvest everything in the Nether no problem. Further still, they break the 'normal' ores once you've run your nether ores through a furnace so I'm rolling in redstone dust and diamonds despite not having the third infusion stone. The resource I'm hurting for now is Clay so I can finally make a crucible furnace and start my own smeltery operation, but I just need to make a gills potion to plunder the coastline and I'll be in business.

3x earth and 3x water essence combine to form 32 clay. Alternatively you can use the clayconia to convert sand but that's kinda meh. I'd just beeline for those essence plants if I were you.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Also 4x earth essence converts to 32 cobble. gently caress having a block breaker.
Though I didn't know about stripes pipes, so thanks. I was looking for a block breaker for some reason or another.

vv Good point, oops.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 5, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Also 4x earth essence converts to 32 cobble. gently caress having a block breaker.
Though I didn't know about stripes pipes, so thanks. I was looking for a block breaker for some reason or another.

That's dirt. 2x earth and 2x fire converts to 32 cobble or sand depending on how you combine it. I don't think I've ever use air for anything yet.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Enh, I'm impatient (hence my Stripes exploitation) and a netherwart, glowstone, and prismarine shard for eight minutes of stealing clay outweighed sitting around for half an hour or more waiting for the seeds to mature. Now I've got an automated Crucible setup making seared bricks for me while pumping excess cobble into a barrel with the excess from that getting voided. Clay pipes are great :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now you've got me wanting to switch back to Regrowth instead of AS2 just to see what kind of stuff Buildcraft can really get up to :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm slowly easing into FTB Infinity, and I just set up babby's first self-sufficient 25x25 tree farm with harvester/planter (underestimating how fast trees naturally grow, and how slow a harvester can go in comparison). It's just using JABBA barrels, steam dynamos, and a sludge boiler. So right now I'm building up insane reserves of wood, moderately stupid reserves of charcoal, and slowly accumulating saplings.

Is there anything interesting to do with charcoal or wood? I didn't really see a way to process them into a useful liquid fuel. I see the saplings can go in a refinery setup, or just shoved in a bioreactor, but I'm not sure I want to dive into that area yet. And definitely not using saplings as the medium.

Are there other more useful crops to use as a jumping-off point for making fuel?

Also, is there a sustainable way to power a Big Reactor? I have some decent stores of Yellorium from exploring, but I don't think my regular quarry would keep my slightly-oversized Big Reactor in yellorium easily, and would need babysitting to keep moving the quarry around. Do I need to make the step to an actively cooled Big Reactor with the turbine multiblock? Or do I just need to make the switch over to Biofuel or something else?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I went ahead and got the pocket edition for a nice bed time game. Are there any mods for it like build craft or industrial or whatever? Anything with quarries and/or ore multipliers? More curious than anything. Doubt these exist but figured I'd ask anyway.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I went ahead and got the pocket edition for a nice bed time game. Are there any mods for it like build craft or industrial or whatever? Anything with quarries and/or ore multipliers? More curious than anything. Doubt these exist but figured I'd ask anyway.

No Mods, No Masters

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Ciaphas posted:

Now you've got me wanting to switch back to Regrowth instead of AS2 just to see what kind of stuff Buildcraft can really get up to :v:

You should! Thanks to Stripes Pipes I am now mana positive with a surplus of wood ash, charcoal, and dead wood planks. I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to actually use such quantities of wood ash and planks for but I'm sure something will crop up eventually.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to actually use such quantities of wood ash for

you'll be glad you did it when you get to the witchery section of the quest book

you need a metric assload of mutandis thanks to biomes o plenty flowers obstructing your way towards the stuff you need and that poo poo requires mucho wood ash :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Edminster posted:

You should! Thanks to Stripes Pipes I am now mana positive with a surplus of wood ash, charcoal, and dead wood planks. I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to actually use such quantities of wood ash and planks for but I'm sure something will crop up eventually.

It's little setups like this that makes Minecraft awesome. Reminds me of this thing.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Just discovered this bug and now I am super bummed. The AgriCraft + Drum of the Wild auto-farm I was just about to complete actually doesn't work. Might have to give up my purity experiment and just toss in MFR or something. I was trying to see how much cool stuff I could build with just Botania, Immersive Engineering, and AgriCraft, but if I can't automatically harvest my farms, no bueno.

https://github.com/InfinityRaider/AgriCraft/issues/518

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Just saw, Featured Modpack on Technic is Baby's First Space Race - Grats.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Devor posted:

I'm slowly easing into FTB Infinity, and I just set up babby's first self-sufficient 25x25 tree farm with harvester/planter (underestimating how fast trees naturally grow, and how slow a harvester can go in comparison). It's just using JABBA barrels, steam dynamos, and a sludge boiler. So right now I'm building up insane reserves of wood, moderately stupid reserves of charcoal, and slowly accumulating saplings.

Is there anything interesting to do with charcoal or wood? I didn't really see a way to process them into a useful liquid fuel. I see the saplings can go in a refinery setup, or just shoved in a bioreactor, but I'm not sure I want to dive into that area yet. And definitely not using saplings as the medium.

Are there other more useful crops to use as a jumping-off point for making fuel?

Also, is there a sustainable way to power a Big Reactor? I have some decent stores of Yellorium from exploring, but I don't think my regular quarry would keep my slightly-oversized Big Reactor in yellorium easily, and would need babysitting to keep moving the quarry around. Do I need to make the step to an actively cooled Big Reactor with the turbine multiblock? Or do I just need to make the switch over to Biofuel or something else?

You can do the mining laser thing in infinity to get yellorium to make bigger reactors to get the RF to build more mining lasers to get more yellorium...Stop when you're bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Just saw, Featured Modpack on Technic is Baby's First Space Race - Grats.

Uh oh--here it comes!