Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

It's Starruptcy.

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

FrankieGoes posted:

Which is precisely why the information is so sparse: they have no loving clue how any of it will end up fitting together. Or they've realized that it won't, and obviously would hold off on telling backers that their 250 dollar space trucker is probably going to have an in game value of 35 bucks.

Seems more likely that the info is sparse because they've not even begun to wonder when they might start planning it yet. It's all about the tech at the moment. All about how to get players to stop clipping through all the geometry while increasing the player count to 200 and implementing procedurally generated wildlife. No way are they going to even start thinking about this stuff until the last minute, if at all.

The economy is going to be a disaster.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

It's Starruptcy.

Starruption har become rife in the 'verse, prompting the Starbiters of the UEE to launch a new initiative aimed at providing greater government starensparency

I have to admit though, that the last one was a bit starfetched

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Seems more likely that the info is sparse because they've not even begun to wonder when they might start planning it yet. It's all about the tech at the moment. All about how to get players to stop clipping through all the geometry while increasing the player count to 200 and implementing procedurally generated wildlife. No way are they going to even start thinking about this stuff until the last minute, if at all.

The economy is going to be a disaster.

No way, it's all right here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13128-The-Star-Citizen-Economy

On the surface, it looks like a bunch of theorycrafting wank they just threw together without any regard to its actual viability.

Under the surface, it looks that way too. But I'm sure all of this will play out exactly as outlined, because Chris.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chalks posted:

I'm really looking forward to the poo poo hitting the fan when it comes to stuff like this. It is incredibly difficult to balance a game economy. You can't just make up random numbers for things like cargo capacity and ship prices, then expect everything to fit together. A hauler having 4000x the capacity of a starting ship is fundamentally flawed in the first place without a ludicrous progression curve building up to it. 60 hours for a 4000x jump in earning ability is going to blow the economy to pieces.

Yeah, the nearly impossible part is just going to be balancing everything. There are plenty of mechanics to tweak the poo poo out of profitability. Even though the Hull E carries 12,000,000x as much cargo as a whatever, they can make it only 20x as profitable if they want. The main mechanic being making bulk goods not very profitable to ship (as mentioned in that guys post), but there's millions of other things you can tweak. Fuel consumption, docking fees, taxes, ship maintenance, cost to hire NPCs, etc.

But even though they'll have control over all the mechanics they need to balance things, they still have to actually do it. I think about EQ2. When it was in development their team probably had more MMO economy experience than anyone on the planet. Plus they were really only balancing a handful of "professions" (adventuring, resource gathering, and a few different types of crafting (many of the different types of crafting being essentially the same and not really needing balanced independently)). So like 6 different things to balance. And they still hosed it up pretty bad, requiring numerous nerfs and changes over the first 6 months of the game.

CIG has like 50 different professions they need to balance, and a hundred different ships with wildly differing capabilities at those professions. And 90% of the backers will be screaming bloody murder if they feel their favorite profession and/or ship is getting the shaft in terms of ability to make money.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Iglocska posted:

Hmph. That's a shame :(

While players won't be directly doing the typical choose product from menu, click button, make product, skill increase MMO crafting cycle, the broad plan is to still allow them to influence the types and quality of product produced by the NPC economy by influencing the availability of resources (through trading, missions, etc.). So instead of going out and collecting 3 space bison hides and clicking a button and crafting a space jacket, instead, you deliver a crate full of space bison hides to a space sweatshop and the in-game economy will then produce your jacket, instead. Unless space bison starship seat covers are more in demand, in which case, go slaughter more space bison until the market is flooded with them and the slaves finally get around to making what you want.

At least, that's the system in theory.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

An excerpt from their economy page:

Node Outputs

When a node has the necessary raw materials, it produces output based upon its production capacity. That output is then stored in the warehouses until it can be distributed. The equation for node production will look something like this:

- Production per cycle [P] = the number of units produced per “tick” of the economy
- Worker morale [M] = number of workers / required workers * morale (%)
- Equipment percentage [E] = size of facility * (quality of equipment / max quality)
- Material co-efficient [MC] = minimum percentage available of all required construction units
- P = M * E * MC

We can prove this math is sound by applying the equation to CIG:

P(Production) = M(Morale) * E(Equipment) * MC (Material coefficient)

M = 0 (Sandi)
E = $20,000 (Coffee Maker)
MC = 100% (Assuming all hands on deck)

P = 0 * $20000 * 100%

P = 0

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Daztek posted:

Beer is now the Derek Smart of CS tickets.

How far back are CS tickets delayed right now?

That whole line of thinking is absolutely amazing. The CS ticket system is backed up so far due to the actions of one man, who dared use the system for its intended purpose. Then the employees at CS had no choice and were virtually forced at gunpoint to spend hours replying to him and defending their game and team. They had no other options; for every email from Beer they received, hours upon hours were required to respond to each and every concern or question he had. Don't you guys understand? The employees at Star Spaceship Immersion Dreams! Inc are morally obligated to go on rambling diatribes in lengthy emails to customers they deem as malcontents.

Now you might be wondering something stupid like "but their CS tickets were backed up way before Beer even contacted them the first time!" This is because you are a dumb person. They were backed up because they were spending so much time anticipating and practicing writing email replies to a person in a situation EXACTLY LIKE THIS. It's called "preparing for the future," ever hear of it? Sandi and the rest of the ticket response team were cyber bullied, forced against their wills, to spend all their time and resources dealing with one unhappy customer, a certain Mr. Beer.

Honestly, you all, particularly Mr. Beer Esq., should be ashamed of yourselves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scruffpuff posted:

An excerpt from their economy page:

Node Outputs

When a node has the necessary raw materials, it produces output based upon its production capacity. That output is then stored in the warehouses until it can be distributed. The equation for node production will look something like this:

- Production per cycle [P] = the number of units produced per “tick” of the economy
- Worker morale [M] = number of workers / required workers * morale (%)
- Equipment percentage [E] = size of facility * (quality of equipment / max quality)
- Material co-efficient [MC] = minimum percentage available of all required construction units
- P = M * E * MC

We can prove this math is sound by applying the equation to CIG:

P(Production) = M(Morale) * E(Equipment) * MC (Material coefficient)

M = 0 (Sandi)
E = $20,000 (Coffee Maker)
MC = 100% (Assuming all hands on deck)

P = 0 * $20000 * 100%

P = 0

:unsmith:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Hmph. That's a shame :(

It could be pretty awesome, really. I enjoy crafting in MMOs a lot, and overclocking could be just as good as crafting. Taking a lame weapon and making it awesome really isn't functionally much different than just crafting an awesome weapon.

And the production node thing would have the potential to be a cool/fun "Business/Factory/Whatever Tycoon" type game.

But it won't. It'll all be a pile of poo poo.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
She is currently in the UK , raining fire down on the UK based Community guys who she holds personally responsible for the Beergod thing. This is not a joke, they are worried for their jobs at this point.
The Crobber is also here , ahem ..... doing some more MoCap believe it or not !?!?!!?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EightAce posted:

She is currently in the UK , raining fire down on the UK based Community guys who she holds personally responsible for the Beergod thing. This is not a joke, they are worried for their jobs at this point.
The Crobber is also here , ahem ..... doing some more MoCap believe it or not !?!?!!?

I thought he was coding 24/7

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.883050-Star-Citizen-Employees-Speak-Out-on-Project-Woes-Update-2?page=32#22273628

Anything ever come of this?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

That Works posted:

I thought he was coding 24/7

Yes but he codes into the early morning, which requires him to travel the world constantly. It's always morning somewhere, and he has to keep up appearances.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

Haha what the gently caress

Hey Sandi gently caress you don't try to shift the blame to your loving employees

Try to act like an adult for gently caress's sake

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

alphabettitouretti posted:

Dressing it up as a feature and calling it "hibernation mode" is some Transverse level poo poo.
If it was something like auto pilot while AFK and logged out I'd kind of buy it.
According to their galaxy map traveling from one end of the verse to the other (600 LY) takes 8 hours.
It sounds like an elaborate AFK mode which like everything else is needlessly complex.

Does it mean you hang in space and you can get boarded and have your ship destroyed while you chill in the ice box?

Elite has it so you can quit even in the middle of combat and just resume at the last entry point for the system you are in. Even if you are drifting in space when you quit, no one can see you so you are perfectly safe.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

WebDog posted:

If it was something like auto pilot while AFK and logged out I'd kind of buy it.
According to their galaxy map traveling from one end of the verse to the other (600 LY) takes 8 hours.
It sounds like an elaborate AFK mode which like everything else is needlessly complex.

Does it mean you hang in space and you can get boarded and have your ship destroyed while you chill in the ice box?

Elite has it so you can quit even in the middle of combat and just resume at the last entry point for the system you are in. Even if you are drifting in space when you quit, no one can see you so you are perfectly safe.

Leave it to CIG to find a way for "logging off" to be repackaged as an innovative new feature. I suspect this is for the immersion crowd:

"But logging off will break my immersion!!!"
"OK, fine, fuckers, you go into hibernation, is that good enough for you?"
"...*sniff*... ok...I guess so"

SPOILER: You're still logging off.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

She's got such range

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

She's got such range

Begun, the Clone Wars have.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I'm curious, what do you honestly think of 2.0 and their chances of fixing it within the next few months? I know it's really important for them to make major efforts before SQ42 ships to keep people on side but the size of the task even just for clipping issues seems massive to me.

There's so few people posting anymore who think anything positive about all this, not that the thread seems to be suffering much from a one sided view with CIG providing so much comedy.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

She's got such range

Blue steel, Magnum etc etc

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

If you do have a source, just be careful you don't give anything away that could identify them. Also they are probably monitoring the office networks in the US, UK probably has lower risk of that with Erin in charge but it's still a risk.

If anyone is trapped inside a CIG factory, please try to smuggle a message out hidden in a jpg.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

She was sort of generically cute when she was younger, in an "interchangeable Hollywood starlet" kind of way, but time is being unnecessarily cruel to her.

Most actresses get better at their jobs over time. Considering how irredeemably bad she is as an actress today, can you even imagine how bad she must have been in the beginning, before all her swords training?

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

If anyone is trapped inside a CIG factory, please try to smuggle a message out hidden in a jpg.

No, not a JPG! They're looking at those! It's their entire business model!

Oh my god, it's too late...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Octopode posted:

While players won't be directly doing the typical choose product from menu, click button, make product, skill increase MMO crafting cycle, the broad plan is to still allow them to influence the types and quality of product produced by the NPC economy by influencing the availability of resources (through trading, missions, etc.). So instead of going out and collecting 3 space bison hides and clicking a button and crafting a space jacket, instead, you deliver a crate full of space bison hides to a space sweatshop and the in-game economy will then produce your jacket, instead. Unless space bison starship seat covers are more in demand, in which case, go slaughter more space bison until the market is flooded with them and the slaves finally get around to making what you want.

wat.

So they went from a 'rudimentary' system that was:
1) collect stuff 2) bring stuff back 3) click a button 4) something magically appears
To an 'advanced and visionary' system of:
1) collect stuff 2) bring stuff back 3) click a button 4) something magically appears

Croberts is a loving visionary genius.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EightAce posted:

Where in the uk? I will travel by bus,car,bike, and jetski just to sprint towards her....

And blink furiously!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

2DCAT posted:

wat.

So they went from a 'rudimentary' system that was:
To an 'advanced and visionary' system of:

Croberts is a loving visionary genius.

Yes but Chris Roberts has completely redefined what we imagine is happening between steps 3 and 4. We are imagining things that nobody has been asked to imagine before. Such negativity on this thread.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I bet her DNA is on every casting couch across 10 countries.

:pusheen:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Where in the uk? I will travel by bus,car,bike, and jetski just to sprint towards her....

Foundry 42 is in Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm bored of Sandi now.

Hey Derek, what happened with all those layoffs/departures that were supposed to be announced after the holidays?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

AP posted:

Nah i'm not going to Wilmslow :D

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey Derek, what happened with all those layoffs/departures that were supposed to be announced after the holidays?

I second this call - with all the recent surprise :lol: this had completely slipped my mind. I'd be most interested in this as well. Come on Derek, don't keep us in the dark.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Scruffpuff posted:

She was sort of generically cute when she was younger, in an "interchangeable Hollywood starlet" kind of way, but time is being unnecessarily cruel to her.

Most actresses get better at their jobs over time. Considering how irredeemably bad she is as an actress today, can you even imagine how bad she must have been in the beginning, before all her swords training?

I bet her DNA is on every casting couch across 10 countries.

I am pretty sure if anything she has taken dna on every casting couch across 10 countries.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Lol if you think they'll let any reporter actually see behind their curtain, let alone if they are from the escapist literally Derek Smart. That was a bluff that was called and then ignored.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

1500 posted:

LOL, she lists Reverse the Verse as "Horror".

I really want to call her agent and ask if she'll do my kid's birthday party.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Would love to hear Sandi berating the CS guys. YOU SHOULD HAVE STOPPED ME FROM SAYING THESE DUMB THINGS WHERE ARE YOUR BALLS

AP posted:

How thoroughly loving pleasant.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm bored of Sandi now.

They're in the process of putting in their two weeks notice. Standby for more info in two weeks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Tyberious/with_replies

:captainpop:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wow that guy comes across as a Grade-A rear end in a top hat. "gently caress you, we have your money." No accountability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

I'm curious, what do you honestly think of 2.0 and their chances of fixing it within the next few months? I know it's really important for them to make major efforts before SQ42 ships to keep people on side but the size of the task even just for clipping issues seems massive to me.

There's so few people posting anymore who think anything positive about all this, not that the thread seems to be suffering much from a one sided view with CIG providing so much comedy.

I think the important measure before a real judgment can be made is the velocity of changes, fixes, and additions we see in the next few months. 2.0 is a fairly significant technical step forward, but CIG needs to demonstrate that it's the crest of the hill rather than the bottom and begin building upon it significantly rather than delivering the kind of incremental changes we saw with 1.X.

With a little educated guessing about the root cause of the clipping issues based on what I've seen in the data files, I don't think they are actually as major of systemic issue as they seem. I think it's a pernicious bug related to the fact that ship and other geometry is not maintained as a single entity, but instead as a series of individual pieces placed together at runtime, and there is likely a fairly small change required to how this is done necessary to fix it, rather than a major effort, once the actual bug is found.

• Locked thread