Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

How is that subtle? Space stations don't have trees and snow on the surface :psyduck:
You know how loving many levels I played in Halo with a friend until I went "wait, we're ON the Halo???" and he was like "of course" and I yelled "BUT WE WERE FIGHTING IN FORESTS AND poo poo". loving overgrown-rear end space station...weapon ring...thing.

While we're at Star Wars TFA, I'm not sure if I'm reaching there, but I was wondering why Rey used the lightsaber like she did after first getting it: constantly stabbing with it, something you very rarely see..
But then I realized that of course she would stab with it - she's used to fighting with a spear/pole thing!

And after she deliberately touches the force or sth, she starts swinging the saber like Jedi usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

How is that subtle? Space stations don't have trees and snow on the surface :psyduck:

In their defense, I was also confused for a while and thought the base was manmade, but just SO huge that it had developed its own climate somehow. Because Star Wars logic.

I did think that concept was pretty dumb and liked it much better after finding out it was just carved into a planet.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I had assumed it was a Dyson Sphere and something something Space Science trees.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
But.... the surface of a Dyson Sphere, and all its trees and whatnot, are on the inside

not to mention it would have to be a little bit larger to house a sun

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I did like how it turned back into a sun once destroyed, its what I would expect to happen and also expect them not to show

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like that it was called Starkiller, which was Luke's last name in George's first draft.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Parasol Prophet posted:

In their defense, I was also confused for a while and thought the base was manmade, but just SO huge that it had developed its own climate somehow. Because Star Wars logic.

I thought the same thing. And I also didn't make the connection between Rey's "get out of my head" and her later Jedi mind tricks. So...you aren't alone!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I was watching Die Hard with some friends for Christmas and I noticed a bit of foreshadowing in the dialog after John McClane drops the C4 down the elevator shaft and blows the floor out:

Dwayne T. Robinson: I've got a hundred people down here, and they're covered with glass.

John McClane: Glass? Who gives a poo poo about glass?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Super Waffle posted:

I did like how it turned back into a sun once destroyed, its what I would expect to happen and also expect them not to show

Yeah I really liked that touch and was glad they did it when its exactly the kind of thing that would have been ignored usually.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I really liked that when viewed from space the atmosphere made it look all hazy. It really helped to push home how big that thing was.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I like that it was called Starkiller, which was Luke's last name in George's first draft.

From what I remember of vague Star Wars lore, almost every piece of the Star Wars EU feels obligated to use the name 'Starkiller' somehow. Before the Force Awakens it was the codename for the main character in the Force Unleashed games.

It's the Star Wars equivalent of naming your forums account Xx_SePhiRoTh_xX

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bewilderment posted:

mods please

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bewilderment posted:

From what I remember of vague Star Wars lore, almost every piece of the Star Wars EU feels obligated to use the name 'Starkiller' somehow. Before the Force Awakens it was the codename for the main character in the Force Unleashed games.

The Force Unleashed's devs were such hacks that even George Lucas made fun of the names they gave people.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

bewilderment posted:

Well yeah but it also LITERALLY killed stars to power its weapon.

Also its got that whole dark vs light angle aswell. It sucks the light from a star system plunging it in to darkness and chaos.

Then at the end of the film just when things seem darkest, light prevails from within.

Possibly foreshadowing what might happen to Kylo Ren maybe? :shrug:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

At least Skywalker makes thematic sense for a badass pilot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

The Force Unleashed's devs were such hacks that even George Lucas made fun of the names they gave people.

They legit wanted to tell a dark dramatic story starring a wookie, and George Lucas, king of the gleep glop aliens saying "poodo", told them they would probably want a protagonist who could speak. Behind the scenes stuff on The Force Unleashed is kinda amazing, honestly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The original Knights of the Old Republic game has another one of those Starkiller references. The final opponent in the arena fights on the first planet is a mandalorian called Bendak Starkiller.

I looked him up on Wookiepedia since I didn't know his first name and that is way too long an article for a minor character. I am consistently amazed by that site and it's contributors.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dragonstoned posted:

Well yeah but it also LITERALLY killed stars to power its weapon.

Also its got that whole dark vs light angle aswell. It sucks the light from a star system plunging it in to darkness and chaos.

Then at the end of the film just when things seem darkest, light prevails from within.

Possibly foreshadowing what might happen to Kylo Ren maybe? :shrug:
It would be pretty cool if he turned into a sun at the end of the series and then exploded.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

At least Skywalker makes thematic sense for a badass pilot.

Maybe he is a Norse God?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

The original Knights of the Old Republic game has another one of those Starkiller references. The final opponent in the arena fights on the first planet is a mandalorian called Bendak Starkiller.

I looked him up on Wookiepedia since I didn't know his first name and that is way too long an article for a minor character. I am consistently amazed by that site and it's contributors.

They're insane. Like, actually insane.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

They're insane. Like, actually insane.

This is true. A friend of mine- who has a master's degree in poli Sci from a reputable university :psyduck:- posts there. We were discussing the benefits of stem cell research and cloning. His argument against them? "Well then someone could build a clone army and take over the world. That's why cloning should be illegal."

:negative:

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like how with all the work and everything that goes into it, Wookiepedia is still basically an out of the box Wikia page.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

They legit wanted to tell a dark dramatic story starring a wookie, and George Lucas, king of the gleep glop aliens saying "poodo", told them they would probably want a protagonist who could speak. Behind the scenes stuff on The Force Unleashed is kinda amazing, honestly.
I'm imagining The Force Unleashed, but with Saints Row 3's zombie voice set.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Anakin's lifesaving operation being performed at "the newly christened Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center" was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crowetron posted:

Big words coming from the man who ok'd the star wars holiday special starring four gargling monsters

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Regarding the new Star Wars film, and I'm absolutely no expert or whatever, but am I crazy in thinking that they foreshadowed Finn becoming a Jedi as well? I mean, one of the things I remember from the prequels was that the thing that pointed to Anakin being a Jedi was his intuition and skill in the podracer, in pretty much the exact same way that Rey has an intuitive grasp of the flying and mechanics of the Millenium Falcon. They made a pretty big point of emphasising that Finn has this superhuman grasp of shooting down poo poo, first with Poe and later with Rey. His moral compass is also something special, apparently, and they even let him fight with a lightsaber. There's also the mystery past thing.

So, am I an idiot reading too much into things, maybe missing a piece of SW knowledge, or am I right in thinking it's a fairly obvious direction they're going in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that's a pretty common thought I've seen people mention.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did anyone else notice that some parts were similar to Episode IV? They're subtle but if you watch carefully you may notice them.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not subtle but on rematch Star Wars spoilers i did like Rey with a blaster. Oops safety is on, wild fire, oh that's where the shot goes? Kill trooper, look of horror, one shots twenty more troopers from absurdly long distances with a pistol.

Hughlander has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Regarding the new Star Wars film, and I'm absolutely no expert or whatever, but am I crazy in thinking that they foreshadowed Finn becoming a Jedi as well? I mean, one of the things I remember from the prequels was that the thing that pointed to Anakin being a Jedi was his intuition and skill in the podracer, in pretty much the exact same way that Rey has an intuitive grasp of the flying and mechanics of the Millenium Falcon. They made a pretty big point of emphasising that Finn has this superhuman grasp of shooting down poo poo, first with Poe and later with Rey. His moral compass is also something special, apparently, and they even let him fight with a lightsaber. There's also the mystery past thing.

So, am I an idiot reading too much into things, maybe missing a piece of SW knowledge, or am I right in thinking it's a fairly obvious direction they're going in?

finn is actually really bad at shooting things, he has to be coached through it by poe and rey has to aim his gun for him, if he does become a jedi it's not his shooting that forshadoed it but his supernatural ability to bring people together.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elfgames posted:

finn is actually really bad at shooting things, he has to be coached through it by poe and rey has to aim his gun for him, if he does become a jedi it's not his shooting that forshadoed it but his supernatural ability to bring people together.

I thought it was cool as I was watching that Finn was a non-Jedi who took up the lightsaber and Rey was someone with Jedi talents but passed over the saber for a blaster. Reading what you said, Finn does come off as pretty bad at shooting, but did pretty well with the lightsaber given his experience. Same with what Hughlander said, Rey went from fumbling to pro with the blaster super quick, I think it would've been way cooler for them to go further with that idea and turn it on its head a bit.

Not that the final Rey fight wasn't great though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Elfgames posted:

True, he only had to pull the trigger at the right time when Rey lined up the shot, but wasn't that because the turret malfunctioned? Maybe I'm not remembering that part right. Anyway, didn't he do much better than could be expected with Poe? It's natural he needed to be coached with regards to the controls and stuff, but (again, unless I'm not recalling correctly) he made a lot of really tricky shots that would be difficult for even an experienced gunner.

Anyway, just wanted some confirmation I wasn't just imagining things.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Taeke posted:

True, he only had to pull the trigger at the right time when Rey lined up the shot, but wasn't that because the turret malfunctioned? Maybe I'm not remembering that part right. Anyway, didn't he do much better than could be expected with Poe? It's natural he needed to be coached with regards to the controls and stuff, but (again, unless I'm not recalling correctly) he made a lot of really tricky shots that would be difficult for even an experienced gunner.

Anyway, just wanted some confirmation I wasn't just imagining things.

No, that's how it happened.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
All the nerds on Wookiepedia are probably writing essays the length of Master's theses explaining everything in the new movie and I just want to know how BB8 gets back up the stairs every time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Not subtle but on rematch Star Wars spoilers i did like Rey with a blaster. Oops safety is on, wild fire, oh that's where the shot goes? Kill trooper, look of horror, one shots twenty more troopers from absurdly long distances with a pistol.

Does range matter with a blaster? Obviously there are some differences. Recoil would probably be less on a long barrel. But I don't think barrel size would matter for distance aiming.

I really liked the variety of ranged weapons in TFA. The original trilogy had a variety of styles, but they all seemed to do the same thing (i.e., kill armored bad guys with one shot, wound unarmored good guys). In TFA there appeared to be real differences in the power (i.e. killing armored bad guys more dramatically, still only wounding unarmored good guys).

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Krispy Kareem posted:

D
I really liked the variety of ranged weapons in TFA. The original trilogy had a variety of styles, but they all seemed to do the same thing (i.e., kill armored bad guys with one shot, wound unarmored good guys). In TFA there appeared to be real differences in the power (i.e. killing armored bad guys more dramatically, still only wounding unarmored good guys).

Maybe star wars armor is reactive armor but installed backwards because if you manage to get shot you should be dead. Wearing armor shows you're hardcore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Obdicut posted:

Maybe star wars armor is reactive armor but installed backwards because if you manage to get shot you should be dead. Wearing armor shows you're hardcore.

I know it's not a new complaint, but that armor really sucks. I can see it being ineffective against a good blaster because not every opponent has a blaster. There's still value to wearing it. But they didn't work against little arrows or small rocks either.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I liked the no name rank and file stormtrooper who beat the poo poo out of the black jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Novum posted:

I liked the no name rank and file stormtrooper who beat the poo poo out of the black jedi

Please. This is Star Wars, he has a name and comic book backstory.