Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attestant posted:

Equip it on Rikku? :v: It probably makes her serviceable. She's kind of awkward to use, but having Bard, Dancer and Thief makes her a pretty flexible pseudo-support, and she can bring some Celerity stuff for damage.

Haha I mean Rikku's skillset is just weird. But yeah a 5* FFX weapon, it turns out, is good for FFX. The thing is Rikku is still not hitting as hard as people using the farmable 3*++ sword :( but yeah Thief skillset is fantastic. I dunno if I would ever be able to use her over an actual 5* Support but I'm sure some people could make it work... do the defense up songs make it worth dropping Protectga for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The 4* Bard songs are the exact same as Protectga/Shellga.

Rikku has a weird weapon/skillset, but she's functional.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Great White Hope posted:

The 4* Bard songs are the exact same as Protectga/Shellga.

Rikku has a weird weapon/skillset, but she's functional.

I sort of take back her being bad because I forgot how much Power Steal buffs thieves. with Power Steal and Tempo Flurry she had turns where she hit more than 9999. Sure she's using her unique 5* equipment in her synergy world but that's much better than I was expecting, plus she can do Sap.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Stripper Yuna down with Tauntaliate

Mechanically, she actually is harder than Exdeath, but because Tauntaliate exists, and she's completely susceptible to it, she went down after 1 or 2 SL's.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Oh dear god, they know.

The Ultimate+ boss for the next event in Japan is Vargas. While I had no trouble with him in the FF6 elites when I first did them all those months back (it was North Mountain Elite that was a living hell instead), there's going to be at least one person who has horrible flashbacks to the Ipoohs (who are present!) and the AOE cuts.

EDIT: Other things of note:
Edgar's SSB is the Chainsaw. The weapon with it is also the Chainsaw.
Cyan is getting buffed. Again. I think he's been buffed more than any other character to date and still is complete rubbish, but maybe that, a MC2, and a SSB might make people pretend to care about him.
One of the rewards for the event appears to be a Grenade. Which is a 5* gun. Huh.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 7, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

the Orb of Zot posted:

Oh dear god, they know.

The Ultimate+ boss for the next event in Japan is Vargas. While I had no trouble with him in the FF6 elites when I first did them all those months back (it was North Mountain Elite that was a living hell instead), there's going to be at least one person who has horrible flashbacks to the Ipoohs (who are present!) and the AOE cuts.

Cyan is getting buffed. Again. I think he's been buffed more than any other character to date and still is complete rubbish, but maybe that, a MC2, and a SSB might make people pretend to care about him.
One of the rewards for the event appears to be a Grenade. Which is a 5* gun. Huh.

Haha that's awesome. Taking a dumb early game boss and making them feel as hard as they did at the time.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm almost sad I missed early Vargas. I'm so new I only did the elite after having things like Ruinga honed, etc, so it was nothing special.

Guess I'll get to live the horror now.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

the Orb of Zot posted:

Oh dear god, they know.

Will Edgar don the mask when using the SSB, this is crucial

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Does Wakka's MC2 ever make a comeback? I'm assuming it does once we get VoM as a permanent feature but I think I'm just going to pass on it. I cannot for the life of me beat the Magus Sisters, be it through Advantaliate, Wall, or anything.

Without legitimate synergy this fight is a bitch and a half.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Mingus Dew posted:

Does Wakka's MC2 ever make a comeback? I'm assuming it does once we get VoM as a permanent feature but I think I'm just going to pass on it. I cannot for the life of me beat the Magus Sisters, be it through Advantaliate, Wall, or anything.

Do you have Gilgamesh and carbuncle?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mingus Dew posted:

What's your setup, I think I brought a total of 3 FFX items for the entire set of bonus battles, so we can probably cobble together a set of abilities and RMs which will tilt the odds in your favor.

It took some timing S/L vs the Sisters to get Cindy (fat one, the curer/raiser) to be lowest in HP% when Tauntadvantaliate kicked into full gear, but then I tossed on Carbuncle as well and it was smooth sailing.

Gilgamesh - 64 - some 4*+ FFX sword / Genji Helm / some 15Atk FFX accessory / Draw Fire R3 / Retaliate R5 / Dragoon Determination
Sazh - 65 - Vegas / 4*+ FFX armguard / some 15Res accessory / Double Cut R4 / Armor Breakdown R2 / Mako Might (back row)
Rikku - 41 - whatever / best Res armor / best Res accessory / Dual Delay R3 / Venom Buster R4 / none (back row)
Selphie - 65 - Trabia's Light (AoE Cura SB) / Mnd+Res armor / Mnd accessory / Protectga R1 / Dual Delay R5 / Dr/ Mog's Teachings (back row)
Yuna - 65 - Mnd+ weapon / Mystery Veil (AoE Cura SB) / Mnd accessory / Carbuncle R2 / Curaga R5 / Double Hit (back row)

RW: Advance

Strategy was straight-forward:

- Greg goes Draw Fire, then Retaliate, then Advance, Ret, Atk, etc as needed;
- Sazh goes Boon, Armor Breakdown on the appropriate sister (Cindy 1-2x til death, then Mindy 1-2x, then Sandy 1x), attacks that sister directly to lower HP% for Tauntadvantaliate;
- Rikku tosses Venom Busters until Sandy (tall one) is afflicted, then joins the retaliate party;
- Selphie is there to immediately Protectga in case timing is off for Greg's setup, and then join the retaliate party, with an AoE heal SB ready in case it's needed while Carbuncle's up;
- Yuna is there to heal while setup is going on, and then once the Tauntadvantaliate is fully setup and everyone is at good health she Carbuncles and then joins the retaliate party. Note that I can't Carbuncle too early, since a reflected spell could hit anyone and mess up the retaliate target.

Lost 0 medals with this, on the 3rd try (first two were borked by bad Carbuncle timing, and then by poor Retaliate timing which resulted in a Delta Attack respectively) I took maybe 2 direct hits and never needed any type of healing and only one use of Advance.

Of course having Hastega helps a lot, but I feel like I definitely could have mastered it without Boon. I could have replaced Sazh with Tyro, so that he could bring Shellga (useful until Carbuncle is up) and a Double Cut or Breakdown as preferred. Alternatively I could have replaced Sazh with PCecil for Shellga and Magic Lure, and then every attack (asides that Delta thing) would get sent to either Greg or PCecil who would then obviously tote the best armors.

Also note that a nearly identical setup took down Yunalesca in one try with 1 medal lost. Rikku was replaced with a MC2-broken Wakka, otherwise same characters. Sazh and Wakka brought Magic Breakdown, Full Break, and a Double Cut each. Selphie was the same, and Yuna switched to Shellga and Curaga. Greg attracted all the debuffing physical attacks and the high-Res armors plus the breaks made the rare Holy cast during Phase 3 only take about 50-70% of a character's HP.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
That's way too complicated when you can just AOE everything dead.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Attestant posted:

Yeah, imagine how much worse the game would actually be if they patched it out.

The game would be flat out unplayable.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Subbz posted:

That's way too complicated when you can just AOE everything dead.

If you have the characters and ability hones to do that, then sure, of course that's simplest. I wouldn't call this setup complicated per se, there's more fore-thought to it in terms of how to pack every ability and character type in there, and I find that to be some fun problem-solving versus Valefor/Alexander/Ruinga/Quake/Meteor and off we go. Plus, for me, it saved setup time since I brought 90% of the same stuff into +++ and Ultimate fights.

Anyhow, since Mingus Dew was already trying Advance and Wall strategies I just presumed the nuke-everything option was a no go.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Double Rabite posted:

The game would be flat out unplayable.

No, not really. It would be annoying in high-level Elite Realm Dungeons with several waves of tough mobs before the boss, but most of the really high-level content is one-shot bosses anyway. S/L doesn't matter for those; just die and restart the dungeon.

I mean I'm not saying it would be a good thing if we lost the S/L loophole, but saying it would make the game "flat out unplayable" is a big exaggeration.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Subbz posted:

Do you have Gilgamesh and carbuncle?

Of course I do. I just don't have nearly enough time to set it up before I get Passado'd into oblivion. I also don't have any FFX weapon synergy outside of the All-Rounder, which sadly Greg can't use.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mingus Dew posted:

Of course I do. I just don't have nearly enough time to set it up before I get Passado'd into oblivion. I also don't have any FFX weapon synergy outside of the All-Rounder, which sadly Greg can't use.

How about that 2*++ Blade we would have gotten from past events?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

rujasu posted:

No, not really. It would be annoying in high-level Elite Realm Dungeons with several waves of tough mobs before the boss, but most of the really high-level content is one-shot bosses anyway. S/L doesn't matter for those; just die and restart the dungeon.

I mean I'm not saying it would be a good thing if we lost the S/L loophole, but saying it would make the game "flat out unplayable" is a big exaggeration.

Burning stamina (or mythril/gems) again and again and again is what would make it too frustrating to be worthwhile imo.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

kalensc posted:

How about that 2*++ Blade we would have gotten from past events?

I have the Katana from way back when. Even at 20/20 with synergy it has a whopping 4 more ATK than my next highest weapon and is my strongest cut-thing. Level 80 Cloud with it equipped and DD hits for maybe 1800, 5000ish with Advance.

This would be fine if there were a single target. Sadly, there are multiple targets.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mingus Dew posted:

I have the Katana from way back when. Even at 20/20 with synergy it has a whopping 4 more ATK than my next highest weapon and is my strongest cut-thing. Level 80 Cloud with it equipped and DD hits for maybe 1800, 5000ish with Advance.

This would be fine if there were a single target. Sadly, there are multiple targets.

I was at about 6000ish with Advance prior to tossing on any Full Breaks or Armor Breakdowns or Steal Defenses, plus Greg could build a Morphin Time usage partway through. I think DPS is good enough if you can mitigate the early parts until Draw Fire and Carbuncle lock everything down. No Hastega relic I reckon?

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

kalensc posted:

I was at about 6000ish with Advance prior to tossing on any Full Breaks or Armor Breakdowns or Steal Defenses, plus Greg could build a Morphin Time usage partway through. I think DPS is good enough if you can mitigate the early parts until Draw Fire and Carbuncle lock everything down. No Hastega relic I reckon?

Not a one. RNGesus has not been kind to me in regards to soul breaks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So when I fought the Magus sisters I mistook Mindy for Cindy and so the revive one ended up being the last I killed. I used both advances and probably took a dozen or so rounds to win the fight because stuff kept getting revived. :downs:

I should've reset but the damage I was taking was almost nothing and the last 3-4 rounds of the fightI didn't even have mitigation because the last sister just kept reviving people who would die to advantaliate before the could act, usually.

kalensc posted:

Will Edgar don the mask when using the SSB, this is crucial

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

So when I fought the Magus sisters I mistook Mindy for Cindy and so the revive one ended up being the last I killed. I used both advances and probably took a dozen or so rounds to win the fight because stuff kept getting revived. :downs:

I should've reset but the damage I was taking was almost nothing and the last 3-4 rounds of the fightI didn't even have mitigation because the last sister just kept reviving people who would die to advantaliate before the could act, usually.

That would be an excellent sort of Bonus Quest, killing Mindy last for a bonus Major Orb.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Mingus Dew posted:

Not a one. RNGesus has not been kind to me in regards to soul breaks.

It's just a nice-to-have for the sisters imo, if surviving the initial attacks before Draw Fire and Carbuncle are up is the main problem then try a party that can back-row with Res gear while casting Protectga and Shellga as insurance, and then go nuts with Advance right after. You could bring along Boost instead of a Double Cut perhaps, I've never done the math to figure out which is more DPS: Advantaliate with Double Cuts and a bit less Atk power, or Advantaliate with one less Double-Cutter who alternates between attack and Boost as necessary. Feels like the former wins when you have a great RS synergy and high Atk, but in this case the latter may be optimal.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So I'm going along doing some dungeons and remember I haven't done my daily free pull yet. Whatever, let's get some free upgrade fod--

:stare:

It's just a Betrayal Sword, which has kind of a meh shared SB but it's a 5* VIII sword so hell yeah. DeNa throws me a bone every now and then. :unsmith:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had flashbacks to Comittee when finally doing Balamb Elite in the story dungeons. I still can't believe Fujin is that much of a pain.

New FF6 event? Is there any news on a new character that'll be in it? Or will it just be, like, Gerad Edgar as a costume and call it a day or something.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

From what I've heard, Gau will finally be getting his MC1 and a bonus MC2. So he'll finally be not trash tier. :toot:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, poo poo. I actually ran out of Elites to clear. Looks like I'm using my stamina to clear out those bonus quests that have been clogging my quest log, and then it's off to the orb mines for the rest of my life, on a dripfeed of mythril from events and dailies.

Alxprit posted:

New FF6 event? Is there any news on a new character that'll be in it? Or will it just be, like, Gerad Edgar as a costume and call it a day or something.

Could be Esper Terra, too.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

From what I've heard, Gau will finally be getting his MC1 and a bonus MC2. So he'll finally be not trash tier. :toot:

....no, he'll still be trash tier unless he gets some major buffs. Gau is pretty terrible.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Every time someone posts a daily pull 5* I get really envious, the best I've ever gotten was a 3* FFIII throwing star. :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Beat Yunalesca on first try.

Didn't master it because I forgot "don't get ko'd" was one of the requirements and Sazh died about 2 rounds before I won. Damnit Holy. :negative:

Going back in an hour to do it again and this time I'll make sure to use SG and not TJG later in the fight when I need to reapply mitigation.. :downs:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Wakka hopped on the MC grind train with Garnet in FFIX for his MC3, while she is still working on her MC2.

Wakka gets his MC3 in the second round of the first stage. :suicide: drat it Garnet!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

KataraniSword posted:

....no, he'll still be trash tier unless he gets some major buffs. Gau is pretty terrible.

Need to give him a soul break that you can activate free of charge and all it does it change him into Stray Cat Rage for that entire battle.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

rujasu posted:

Removing the ability to S/L would flat out kill the game. Imagine spending real money to refresh stamina, and then losing it because your phone crashed mid-battle. Remove the ability to S/L and you screw over paying customers more than anyone else. It's never going to go away.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sabin existing is enough to mean you'll never want to use Gau. And Sabin is still kinda mediocre.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

5* Celerity, 5* Combat. He's basically Dark Knight Cecil, except he doesn't have the stats to back those up and can't equip anything but Fists and Daggers.

DK Cecil is already low-tier, and that's with sword access, because generally you want your characters to do more than hit things hard.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Removing the ability to S/L would flat out kill the game. Imagine spending real money to refresh stamina, and then losing it because your phone crashed mid-battle. Remove the ability to S/L and you screw over paying customers more than anyone else. It's never going to go away.

Who said anything about spending actual money for stamina? Why would I ever do that? S/L still costs stamina even if you use it, and if you need to recharge stamina you can just use a mythril or wait it out. Never use gems for stamina, even if you are a paying customer it's one of the least efficient ways to use gems.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

Who said anything about spending actual money for stamina? Why would I ever do that? S/L still costs stamina even if you use it, and if you need to recharge stamina you can just use a mythril or wait it out. Never use gems for stamina, even if you are a paying customer it's one of the least efficient ways to use gems.

I think the hypothetical was "I refilled my stamina and started a stage, spending stamina" -> "My phone crashed, now I lost the stamina for no gain and have to spend it again to try to clear stage". Basically, like if you hit "cancel" every time you S/L'd.

And monthly-grand class whales spend money on stamina refreshes because it gets them more grinding done quicker. Nobody even remotely F2P should.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Does anyone happen to know if Runic will absorb reflected spells? In other words, if Carbuncle (the boss) bounces a spell off himself onto my team and I have Runic up, will it absorb the spell or since it is reflected will Runic be ignored?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

flowinprose posted:

Does anyone happen to know if Runic will absorb reflected spells? In other words, if Carbuncle (the boss) bounces a spell off himself onto my team and I have Runic up, will it absorb the spell or since it is reflected will Runic be ignored?

It will absorb, but it won't taunt. Basically, if the reflected spell happens to hit Celes (or whoever used the RW) they'll get the charge, but it's a 1/5 chance, it doesn't instantly draw the spell toward your runicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Basically, like if you hit "cancel" every time you S/L'd.

Wait, I always hit cancel. If you hit "OK" doesn't that just put you back in the middle of the battle?

• Locked thread