Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Boat posted:

Yeah, every time they post I feel like I'm in an oldschool RPG.

you are welcome for the good feelings, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As someone who hates anime, I'm glad to learn you can get probated for that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I require my forums to be in MLA format.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I saw his font it really annoyed me but then I remembered the ignore button

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just about ran some idiot on a scooter over with my Yamaha yesterday. I really need to start carrying that camera on my helmet, even if it looks goofy.

Scooter driver was in the middle of the lane (which is probably actually 2~2.5 lanes wide), I was following along on the right side of the lane. He then decides to make a right hand turn from the middle of the lane right in front of me. We're positioned that I couldn't have swerved around the left of him, and was close enough that if I had tried that I certainly would've full on t-boned him. I can't say for certain if I had actually swerved right, I think I did a little, but I think target fixation got the better of me and I was just 100% concentrating on getting my bike stopped (at least I didn't steer into him). Obviously the guy wasn't using his mirrors, and didn't even bother to do a head check, because he had that look of fear and surprise when he finally did turn his head after he began turning to see me heading straight at him.

I stopped about 10 meters past where we would've "met". Took a breath, let my heart calm down, looked back at the guy and he was shuffling his scooter into some side parking area. I gave him thumbs up (the finger could get me sued) and he waved and I was on my way again.

Trying to think what my take away from this should be beyond "Taiwanese drivers are mostly crap", poo poo I can actually learn from. I think maybe my mind wasn't 100% focused on driving, otherwise maybe I would've caught on to the guy slowing down sooner (seriously, no break lights or signals before he pulled this) -- I had just pulled out from a Costco, and was focused on getting up to speed and in the back of my mind, thinking about what I was going to cook yesterday. I'm thinking target fixation may have played in, as I don't think I swerved as much as I could've, even though I didn't focus and "lock on" to the guy, I saw his face long enough to see that stupid expression he made, and then looked forward at the road with the idea of getting ready to hit pavement while trying to stop my bike. Like my brain was more focused on stopping and whether that would include hitting the ground, rather than trying to swerve. I mean, maybe looking away from him helped me subconsciously steer just slightly enough away from him to avoid impact, but it certainly wasn't in my mind to swerve. But maybe I'm being to hard on myself, because I was too close to him to stop, maybe I was too close to do anything (I don't think I had reached 50km/hr [was probably closer to 30km/hr, I know I hadn't shifted up out of 3rd]).

Well, I've hit a year of riding scooters and motorcycles, maybe I just need to find an empty parking lot again and practice evasive maneuvers some more.

Otherwise, CHECK YOUR MIRRORS AND DO HEAD CHECKS!!!!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

YF19pilot posted:

Just about ran some idiot on a scooter over with my Yamaha yesterday. I really need to start carrying that camera on my helmet, even if it looks goofy.

Scooter driver was in the middle of the lane (which is probably actually 2~2.5 lanes wide), I was following along on the right side of the lane. He then decides to make a right hand turn from the middle of the lane right in front of me. We're positioned that I couldn't have swerved around the left of him, and was close enough that if I had tried that I certainly would've full on t-boned him. I can't say for certain if I had actually swerved right, I think I did a little, but I think target fixation got the better of me and I was just 100% concentrating on getting my bike stopped (at least I didn't steer into him). Obviously the guy wasn't using his mirrors, and didn't even bother to do a head check, because he had that look of fear and surprise when he finally did turn his head after he began turning to see me heading straight at him.

I stopped about 10 meters past where we would've "met". Took a breath, let my heart calm down, looked back at the guy and he was shuffling his scooter into some side parking area. I gave him thumbs up (the finger could get me sued) and he waved and I was on my way again.

Trying to think what my take away from this should be beyond "Taiwanese drivers are mostly crap", poo poo I can actually learn from. I think maybe my mind wasn't 100% focused on driving, otherwise maybe I would've caught on to the guy slowing down sooner (seriously, no break lights or signals before he pulled this) -- I had just pulled out from a Costco, and was focused on getting up to speed and in the back of my mind, thinking about what I was going to cook yesterday. I'm thinking target fixation may have played in, as I don't think I swerved as much as I could've, even though I didn't focus and "lock on" to the guy, I saw his face long enough to see that stupid expression he made, and then looked forward at the road with the idea of getting ready to hit pavement while trying to stop my bike. Like my brain was more focused on stopping and whether that would include hitting the ground, rather than trying to swerve. I mean, maybe looking away from him helped me subconsciously steer just slightly enough away from him to avoid impact, but it certainly wasn't in my mind to swerve. But maybe I'm being to hard on myself, because I was too close to him to stop, maybe I was too close to do anything (I don't think I had reached 50km/hr [was probably closer to 30km/hr, I know I hadn't shifted up out of 3rd]).

Well, I've hit a year of riding scooters and motorcycles, maybe I just need to find an empty parking lot again and practice evasive maneuvers some more.

Otherwise, CHECK YOUR MIRRORS AND DO HEAD CHECKS!!!!

I don't know how it is where you are but in the U.S., you would've been completely 100% wrong. People rarely use signals so while we'd like them to, we're used to them not doing so and a motorcycle owns his entire lane and is free to do as he wishes within it, including swerve around like a crazy dong. I think that's your takeaway from this, don't expect people to stay in their line, expect that they'll own their lane, as is the case in many (most? all?) countries. In fact, in motorcycle safety course, they teach us to block people from coming in our lane.

Glad ya got out ok, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In the UK at least, the etiquette on sharing a lane with another bike is you take up a position one second behind (rather than the usual two) and with your headlight in line with his mirror )or so you can see his helmet in the mirror if he's got his mirrors set up weird - it's amazing how many people apparently have their mirrors set to show them what's to the side rather than behind). It makes it super-obvious to the person you're following that you're there (if they ever bother to check their mirrors of course) without compromising your road position too badly and still leaving you lots of space for an escape if he does anything too weird.

Also never overtake in the same lane unless you're absolutely certain they know you're there and you know their intentions (i.e. there's no turnings coming up). Of course these are all guidelines, especially in heavy traffic, but for the most part it works.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I wasn't right alongside him, probably about ~1 second behind with at least a meter between his track and mine. I wasn't overtaking him, I had just pulled out of a Costco (looking at Googlemaps, this happened within 50 meters of where I pulled out). If he had merged over instead of trying to make a square turn from the middle of a wide lane, I would've caught it. I think he had missed his turn into the gas station and instead of easing over just panic-turned. Anywhere else in this city and he would've been broadsided by at least two other scooters.

Here, lane splitting and sharing is completely legal with low displacement motorcycles and scooters (<250cc my Yamaha is a 150) to the tune of "however many can fit across a single lane is the legal limit." poo poo gets pretty chaotic, so I'm usually on the ball and can avoid the stupid stuff people do fairly easily. This time I was caught off guard and just trying to think how I could've done better. Maybe I should've seen him slowing down, but then again, I did just get on the road so I didn't have a proper gauge of his speed. Maybe I should've caught his body language, but I think that's part of it, he never looked to where he was going to turn before he turned (or maybe he did and I just didn't see it).

Here, by the letter of the law, I would be in the right - his turn was illegal and he didn't check for other traffic before making his turn. However, I'm 外國人 and he's 老人 so the cops would've probably blamed me without having any camera footage or witnesses (people don't like to stick around because they don't like to get involved in things). I'm just glad I have my license, because no license = automatic fault, and having to pay for everything out of pocket.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

YF19pilot posted:

I wasn't right alongside him, probably about ~1 second behind with at least a meter between his track and mine. I wasn't overtaking him, I had just pulled out of a Costco (looking at Googlemaps, this happened within 50 meters of where I pulled out). If he had merged over instead of trying to make a square turn from the middle of a wide lane, I would've caught it. I think he had missed his turn into the gas station and instead of easing over just panic-turned. Anywhere else in this city and he would've been broadsided by at least two other scooters.

Here, lane splitting and sharing is completely legal with low displacement motorcycles and scooters (<250cc my Yamaha is a 150) to the tune of "however many can fit across a single lane is the legal limit." poo poo gets pretty chaotic, so I'm usually on the ball and can avoid the stupid stuff people do fairly easily. This time I was caught off guard and just trying to think how I could've done better. Maybe I should've seen him slowing down, but then again, I did just get on the road so I didn't have a proper gauge of his speed. Maybe I should've caught his body language, but I think that's part of it, he never looked to where he was going to turn before he turned (or maybe he did and I just didn't see it).

Here, by the letter of the law, I would be in the right - his turn was illegal and he didn't check for other traffic before making his turn. However, I'm 外國人 and he's 老人 so the cops would've probably blamed me without having any camera footage or witnesses (people don't like to stick around because they don't like to get involved in things). I'm just glad I have my license, because no license = automatic fault, and having to pay for everything out of pocket.

Ah yes, of course you're in China. Motorcycle rules are a lot more liberal (in a good way!) there. How's the pollution, btw? Also, yes, I see your logic now that I understand you're in China.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Verge posted:

Ah yes, of course you're in China. Motorcycle rules are a lot more liberal (in a good way!) there. How's the pollution, btw? Also, yes, I see your logic now that I understand you're in China.

I'm in 台灣 not 中國. Cops are more lax in my city than in Taipei. Otherwise, pollution isn't the best, but it ain't Beijing, either.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

The point is that with that amount of separation in time and space you *should* have been safe from even the most boneheaded of moves, because unless you're in Tron he can't just turn 90 degrees immediately - that one-second separation should have given you all the time in the world to go round the outside of him or out-brake him if you're really not sure what is happening.

Like you say though, you probably didn't have a perfect picture of what was going on because you'd just pulled out and as it turns out you reacted right, so no biggie - I was just letting you know what the platonic ideal would have been because from your initial description it sounded like you were closing on/overtaking him.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The point is that with that amount of separation in time and space you *should* have been safe from even the most boneheaded of moves, because unless you're in Tron he can't just turn 90 degrees immediately - that one-second separation should have given you all the time in the world to go round the outside of him or out-brake him if you're really not sure what is happening.

Like you say though, you probably didn't have a perfect picture of what was going on because you'd just pulled out and as it turns out you reacted right, so no biggie - I was just letting you know what the platonic ideal would have been because from your initial description it sounded like you were closing on/overtaking him.

I caught what you were saying, I was just responding more towards Verge and realizing that I wasn't completely clear on what happened. I may still have some of the details off, just because, as you say, I didn't have a perfect picture.

Perfect world here, you can run side by side fine, and if you need to make a right turn and you're not in that track, you check your mirrors, do a head check, and ease over gently and people will get what you're doing and adjust accordingly. Of course, you get too many older folks who think the rules don't apply to them, and unfortunately "respect your elders" is all but codified law, so you get poo poo like what happened to fellow Taiwangoon url (old guy making an illegal left turn on a scooter).

I suppose for now I'll just dust myself off and try to stay that much more vigilant on the road.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I almost had an eventful morning, there's a reason me and my buddies call this Death Roundabout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsnwTEdHUHg

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Shiiiiit that was close. Glad they missed ya though.

I was riding yesterday and was right next to this SUVs driver side window and out of nowhere they merge right into me. Barely braked fast enough to get out of the way. When I got a chance I pulled up next to the driver and looked at them and the bitch wouldn't even look at me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I saw that coming ans was thinking "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!". I'm glad you narrowly escaped that. A bright orange bike is so hard for other drivers to see.

I had an old lady in a massive suv almost head on me coming out a narrow single lane entranceway. I'm glad I didn't enter it too fast, as the hedge blocked her from my view, and I was able to just split to the side. It was close, though, but nothing special because it's literally every day that drivers do these things.

Oh and last week a car drifted 80% into my lane on the apex of a narrow blind two lane corner. If I hadn't been taking the outside line and not leaned, I would not have a bike right now.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

Shiiiiit that was close. Glad they missed ya though.

I was riding yesterday and was right next to this SUVs driver side window and out of nowhere they merge right into me. Barely braked fast enough to get out of the way. When I got a chance I pulled up next to the driver and looked at them and the bitch wouldn't even look at me.

Tap on their window. They don't usually ignore that.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Tap on their window. They don't usually ignore that.

The first few times it happened, I got all scared. Now I'm so used to it, I just stay in my lane, parallel to the driver and look at them until they notice me. I think it'd be funny to tap on their window, but I imagine most people and drivers are so stupid that if I spooked them like that, they might just run me right the gently caress over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

I almost had an eventful morning, there's a reason me and my buddies call this Death Roundabout.

Good job on not target-fixating straight into the side of him - that would have been the easiest thing to do in the world in those conditions and that situation.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Keket posted:

"Well you shouldn't be riding in the streets in the rain anyway."

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Well my throttle mount (the part that the cable connects to in the handle) snapped.

It's raining, I'm not in my waterproofs, but luckily recover is on the way.

This week has not been a good one :(

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I originally posted this to discussion but should have posted here.

Today 3 days after I got hit with a 2 foot dump of snow, I commuted on my motorcycle with ice and snow everwhere. Absolute dumbest poo poo I have ever done on a bike. I was trying to stay as upright as possible but still had to ride motorcross style with a leg out for every turn. I lost the wheels multiple times. I had to put feet down to save the bike 3 times including a low speed lowside into a highside. Absolute pantshitting terror the entire time. Not sure how I am going to get home from work. Probably the same way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yuns posted:

I originally posted this to discussion but should have posted here.

Today 3 days after I got hit with a 2 foot dump of snow, I commuted on my motorcycle with ice and snow everwhere. Absolute dumbest poo poo I have ever done on a bike. I was trying to stay as upright as possible but still had to ride motorcross style with a leg out for every turn. I lost the wheels multiple times. I had to put feet down to save the bike 3 times including a low speed lowside into a highside. Absolute pantshitting terror the entire time. Not sure how I am going to get home from work. Probably the same way.

This owns. You own. Get a gopro.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Near crash again today. Hit some black ice commuting this morning. The bike started sliding and the front tucked. Managed to keep it upright until I was back on dry pavement. Winter commuting is tough as hell but I've learned so much about dealing with emergencies by doing it. I'm thinking about buying a beater winter bike for next season.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

Near crash again today. Hit some black ice commuting this morning. The bike started sliding and the front tucked. Managed to keep it upright until I was back on dry pavement. Winter commuting is tough as hell but I've learned so much about dealing with emergencies by doing it. I'm thinking about buying a beater winter bike for next season.

"beater" winter bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96CBpKXAUk

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Someone turned left in front of me this morning. I had anticipated and slowed down, yet hit the stop bar in the cold and wet and locked the rear. I stayed loose and tried to scrub as much speed as possible before hitting the car as the back end kicked way out. I managed to make it by, kept the rear locked until it was behind me again, then steered away from the median. A good evade all around, and good feedback that evasion drills are helpful.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So remember this from a few months back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0JmMuUu8M&t=230s

Almost had the exact same thing happen coming the other way last night (straight over, not taking the 3rd exit), some guy in a merc who just didn't look like he was going to stop, slowed down as he realised and stopped just in time, rolled past giving him the evil eye.

gently caress that roundabout.

Keket fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Well I was trying to be a good boy and stay out of these threads... I am NOT going to be a new-rider statistic, dammit :argh:

However, I was coming out of my parents' neighborhood and hit some dirt on the inside of a turn. Front end tucked, rear end stepped, I don't know what I did save that I did not chop the throttle and stayed loose. The bike seemed to sort itself out, and I finished the turn to thank my lucky stars that my first experience with traction loss did not end with a bunch of rashed up plastics and shame.

What are you SUPPOSED to do in that situation?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

did not chop the throttle and stayed loose

That.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
counterbalance and maintain throttle

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Twist your wrist and really kick the rear end out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's always strangely annoying and offending to my ego in those circumstances how the bike knows exactly what to do and your job as the meatbag on the back is to just get the gently caress out of it's way. Like how could I, the All-Powerful And Omnipotent Rider Of Motorcycles, possibly be making it worse?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's always strangely annoying and offending to my ego in those circumstances how the bike knows exactly what to do and your job as the meatbag on the back is to just get the gently caress out of it's way. Like how could I, the All-Powerful And Omnipotent Rider Of Motorcycles, possibly be making it worse?

So basically bikes are mechanical horses and you're only supposed to make polite requests regarding velocity? :v:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Oh hey thanks black minivan for checking its clear before pulling out, don't mind me, I'll just scream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2AvpAeV-44

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You should probably at least acknowledge that you didn't see him cause you were reading Hnasty's tweet about Hipsterbikevideos.com coming back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

So basically bikes are mechanical horses and you're only supposed to make polite requests regarding velocity? :v:

Pretty much. It's taken me twenty years of riding to understand that and even then I tend to forget.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Beach Bum posted:

Yup. I do basically nothing on the motorcycle when I ride it. Your inputs should be to lock your sad, lovely meatbag body to the bike, and only ask for changes to speed or direction when the traction circle allows. Most of the time riders are working really hard to ride slower.

Keket posted:

Oh hey thanks black minivan for checking its clear before pulling out, don't mind me, I'll just scream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2AvpAeV-44

If you're going fast enough that glancing down at your GPS is a problem, you should slow down. I don't know if your bike has ABS or not, but a situation like that is where safe and prudent speed is probably below the speed limit.

(Yes, there are times where going below the speed limit is a good idea. In the rain, dark, bad traffic, impaired visibility, or with a bike that's not 100%/you're not confident on are some reasons to do that)

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I was doing 30-35 in a 40, just glanced down for a second then bam, taxi :(

No abs, just a cheap 125 whilst I learn, the things a dog in the wet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Yield to traffic in the rotary.

So many people don't realize this. Yield to traffic in the rotary. I feel like every goddamn sentence I utter should be punctuated with "yield to traffic in the rotary."

I have to drive through three rotaries every day leaving my house and heading to the highway, and almost once a day, someone tries to gun it into the rotary while I'm driving through. Not that big of a deal when I'm in my car (big heavy Dodge), but fuckers do it to me while I'm on my bike, too. Saturday I had a guy not even look to the left as he tried entering the rotary while I was driving through. I'm not sure how he didn't hear my exhaust, but I mwerped my little horn at him to alert him and he gave me the finger. Yeah, you almost drove into my motorcycle but gently caress me. Sure.

Edit: rotary = roundabout. I'm from Massachusetts. We've ruined the language.

Strife fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 14, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

wtf is a rotary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shimrod posted:

wtf is a rotary?

Roundabout.

• Locked thread