Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Reading the campaign for the Assault Carrier again I noticed that the rebels need a large ship. Welp, I guess that basically mean s I've got to get the Ghost next (I know, terrible), instead of the K-wing as I planned. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Foolster41 posted:

Reading the campaign for the Assault Carrier again I noticed that the rebels need a large ship. Welp, I guess that basically mean s I've got to get the Ghost next (I know, terrible), instead of the K-wing as I planned. :P

The K-Wing is a ridiculously huge "small ship," it should count. :colbert:

:whatup:
Think I'm gonna glow-paint the engines on it, add some metalic effect to that "seam" where you see the greebles, and maybe do some red or blue striping/highlights.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I love the love that the Assault carrier is getting in this thread. It deserves it.

I'm looking at a build for that campaign, and trying to decide what I want. Darth Vader is very tempting, though I also like Grand Moff Tarkin, or Agent Callus (to focus on the rebel cap ship since they need to survive to win the mission).

I'm assuming having no primaries, putting a gunner (or one of the variants) does nothing on the carrier, right?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Otisburg posted:

I need to figure out how many of these six Phantoms to use as trade bait.

Anything else you want to sell from the lot? I'd be interested in a Phantom and maybe some other stuff to have it make sense.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

I bought 4 interceptors before Imperial Aces was announced too!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

The K-Wing is a ridiculously huge "small ship," it should count. :colbert:

:whatup:
Think I'm gonna glow-paint the engines on it, add some metalic effect to that "seam" where you see the greebles, and maybe do some red or blue striping/highlights.

Goddamn now im gonna go buy a 4th TIE Interceptor.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Foolster41 posted:

I love the love that the Assault carrier is getting in this thread. It deserves it.

I'm looking at a build for that campaign, and trying to decide what I want. Darth Vader is very tempting, though I also like Grand Moff Tarkin, or Agent Callus (to focus on the rebel cap ship since they need to survive to win the mission).

I'm assuming having no primaries, putting a gunner (or one of the variants) does nothing on the carrier, right?

Do Rebels get a capital ship later? They start with a large ship.
Gunner won't do anything for the carrier since it only fires secondary weapons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

I bought 4 interceptors before Imperial Aces was announced too!

One guy I did a big lot trade of Warmahordes for X-Wing seemed to like to own for at least elements of two, or flights of four. Had 4 Interceptors and 4 total from aces (2 sets). Makes the Air Force TO&E nerd in my happy, but is a little more than one needs for the table outside of big epic games.

Chemmy posted:

Anything else you want to sell from the lot? I'd be interested in a Phantom and maybe some other stuff to have it make sense.

Potentially. I've also got a Defender and Slave 1 that are probably spare, and could use a couple small things and some spares of clutch upgrades if you wanted to trade, or Paypal works. I need to wait for some stuff that was posted this week to be in hand before I can do anything for certain. You can hit me up at panicatthesisko at g mail dot com, as I don't have PMs.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

kingcom posted:

Goddamn now im gonna go buy a 4th TIE Interceptor.
Oh yeah, I didn't notice those were interceptors. Dang it, tempts me to buy another imp aces pack.

E:

alg posted:

Do Rebels get a capital ship later? They start with a large ship.
Gunner won't do anything for the carrier since it only fires secondary weapons.
I mean by cap, the large ship that's designated as the leader for the campaign. Though they sort of can get a cap ship. It's the Assault carrier :D

Okay, I figured that was the case.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 7, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm considering watching Star Wars Rebels as a grown-rear end man to decide whether or not I want to fly the Ghost and Phantom and then furthermore decide who I will be using as the pilots/crew if I like the show (and, thus, buy the ship).

Hera looks like an absolute blast to fly a large ship with, even with the "limited" red/green choices on her dial (K-Turn? Nah, it's a 1-turn now). Sabine looks like a great choice for the shuttle. Maybe ship+shuttle+Gunner+turret du jour? Do any of the Ghost pilots have Elite upgrade slots? Jesus Christ I can get over 100 points fielding nothing else but the drat ship and shuttle.

EDIT: PTL/BB-8 Poe and PTL Sabine for maximum pre-maneuver barrel rolls, Hera Syndulla for even more discretionary movement, gently caress it I think I might buy this ship anyway

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just buy the thing. It looks cool.

The Decimator and Raider don't really have any cool fiction behind them, but I'm totes loving them anyway.

Heck I'm coming around on the ugly-rear end EU as heck K-Wing seeing it in 3-D.

I don't think any Ghost pilots will get an EPT. It actually fits the theme that Hera can't get up to PS9. She can fly circles around your local garrison fighters, and middle of the road clock-punching fighter jocks, but is completely outmatched by aces. The whole expac is pretty thematic.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 7, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Watch Rebels, its legit good. Some solid blat blats throughout season 1 and 2 so far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya Rebels is OK. There's times when it's obviously a kids show but then again it's goddamn Star Wars. Don't go into it expecting a cartoon version of Empire. Also it arguably has one of the best astromechs in the entire mythology.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I keep hearing Star Wars nerds saying that Rebels is a good show. It is not a good show. It is predictable and bland. I was given the first season to watch, and after a few episodes I FORGOT IT EXISTED for months. If you absolutely MUST consume any and all Star Wars things, sure, go watch it. You will probably be entertained if that is the sort of person you are. But it is still a children's cartoon.

Edit: ^This guy gets it. rear end in a top hat astromech is the only good character.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Reynold posted:

I keep hearing Star Wars nerds saying that Rebels is a good show. It is not a good show. It is predictable and bland. I was given the first season to watch, and after a few episodes I FORGOT IT EXISTED for months. If you absolutely MUST consume any and all Star Wars things, sure, go watch it. You will probably be entertained if that is the sort of person you are. But it is still a children's cartoon.

Edit: ^This guy gets it. rear end in a top hat astromech is the only good character.

I think 99% of star wars related things are dogshit and I really like the show so I don't know if that theory holds true. rear end in a top hat chopper still best though. He turns into stone cold killer later too.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dangerous opinion: Chopper is a cooler astromech droid than BB-8.

Yeah, it's a children's cartoon. Grading on the scale of "A Star Wars children's cartoon," it's pretty good. As a Cool Divorced Dad, I have some cover to watch it with my kid without having to be a full dork (it's the toy spaceships that out me on that, though she plays too.) It has its moments. Some of the Vader stuff in the second season, esp. him just owning whole squadrons in his TIE Advanced, is pretty cool for overt fanservice.

Also, trigger warning: if EU canon about when and how certain classes of ship, particularly certain Rebel fighters were introduced is precious to you you'll pop a gasket. I confess more than most of the stuff Disney jettisoned it irrationally bugs me, I think because I'm a tabletop gamer and the availability of gear and technology was a lot more relevant to arrpee than the presence or even existence of some EU redhead.

It's also giving us more ships for X-Wing, so thanks for that.

E: I was presently surprised when I opened the K-Wing I picked up at my FLGS with rewards points tonight. I had expected a single TLT and didn't realize it included two. Such bounty.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 7, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My 5 year old twins enjoy Rebels. It's not good but its not terrible. It's.... better than Caillou.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Trying to manage my overall fleet with some of these bigger lot sales and trades I've made leaving my collection fat in some weird places and looking for advice:

I'm never going to realistically need more than 2 TIE Phantoms/copies of Tactician barring some really crazy Epic build, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Trying to manage my overall fleet with some of these bigger lot sales and trades I've made leaving my collection fat in some weird places and looking for advice:

I'm never going to realistically need more than 2 TIE Phantoms/copies of Tactician barring some really crazy Epic build, right?

Phantoms, probably not. Tactician...well, maybe. It depends. Someone did pretty well in the last Worlds using 3x K-Wing w/Tactician, though admittedly that's kind of a niche build. You can't stack multiple Tacticians on the same ship (un)fortunately so for most practical purposes two should suffice.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Found this floating around. Looks like we now know what the PS 6 Mist Hunter pilot's ability is.

"At the start of the end phase, you can assign 1 of your stress tokens to another ship at range 1"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Reynold posted:

Rebels starts off very shaky and very much a 'kid's show' in its tone and writing. Somewhere around the the middle of the first season, however, the writers start tying it more into the Clone Wars series and things start to get really good and much more interesting. I really like the show now, even though there are moments that still feel like a 'kid's show', and Lando is awesome through and through.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

enigmahfc posted:

Rebels starts off very shaky and very much a 'kid's show' in its tone and writing. Somewhere around the the middle of the first season, however, the writers start tying it more into the Clone Wars series and things start to get really good and much more interesting. I really like the show now, even though there are moments that still feel like a 'kid's show', and Lando is awesome through and through.

It's a kid's show but Star Wars are kids' movies so it makes sense.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Otisburg posted:

I would be intersted in a phantom if it is complete.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Otisburg posted:

I don't think any Ghost pilots will get an EPT. It actually fits the theme that Hera can't get up to PS9. She can fly circles around your local garrison fighters, and middle of the road clock-punching fighter jocks, but is completely outmatched by aces. The whole expac is pretty thematic.

She gets an EPT in the shuttle, if YASB is correct, just not while piloting the Ghost. It's strange to me only because with the shuttle still docked and a turret upgrade, this is a large ship crying out for Predator and Hera cannot equip it. At PS7 she'd also love Veteran Instincts. Sad days. That said, it seems like a fairly versatile thing - Chopper for ramming speed, Kanan if you don't want to run a "fat Ghost" (a large ship that's kinda like the HWK-290 in that its pilot is a "support" pilot?), Hera if you want to arc dodge as best as a PS7 can. I'm thinking:

Hera Syndulla (51)
VCX-100 (40)
Ghost (0)
"Chopper" (0)
Nien Nunb (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Sabine Wren (32)
Attack Shuttle (21)
Phantom (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
A-Wing (17)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Nien Nunb gives you more choices for using Hera's pilot ability, while Advanced Sensors gives you the option to get an action before you do one of your discretionary red maneuvers without needing to activate Chopper. If you still absolutely need to get that Boost, though, you can. Engine Upgrade feels like a no-brainer. Dorsal Turret is here for budgeting reasons and because I like the ability to actually get the bonus die.

On the shuttle, Sabine can do fun things like barrel roll or boost, PTL off of that, do a green maneuver to clear the stress and get a free Focus token, and then take her normal action for the turn - remaining at zero stress when all's said and done. I feel like she wants Target Lock on her bar so we went with Targeting Computer. Dorsal Turret is, again, here for budgeting concerns.

This list theoretically puts a decent amount of dice on the table, but has very little wiggle room. I could always drop the A-Wing in the name of ordnance or different turrets, but I don't think I want to. It seems like a vicious tease that this would have Predator packed in and then not let you take it on the main ship, where you'd actually want it. C'est la vie.

Reynold posted:

I have only watched the first episode - or maybe the first two, I think it was a two-parter - and I agree that it's predictable and obviously a children's program. I do not personally find it bland, and since Star Wars is, for me, about following Cool Characters doing Fun Things in Space, Rebels seems at the outset to be pretty good.

LingcodKilla posted:

My 5 year old twins enjoy Rebels. It's not good but its not terrible. It's.... better than Caillou.

I'm not going to do that stupid loving thing where I question anyone else's parenting, so please do not interpret whatever I say that way, but this comment made me realize exactly how many Stormtroopers died in the first episode. The violence is bloodless, obviously, but they don't shy away from direct shots of mooks getting shot, or even blown up/sucked into space. I don't think it's any worse than something like, say... Transformers, in any of it's myriad forms, but I'm not sure I'd compare it to Caillou.

enigmahfc posted:

I have never watched the longer-running Clone Wars show. There's just so goddamn much of it and the setting does very little for me. I'm not sure if this justifies a spoiler, either, but I don't know if it's possible to be a Star Wars nerd without having at least scant knowledge of Ahsoka Tano, and I've seen stills of her looking all growed up in Rebels. I assume that's what you mean. Which is interesting, to me, if only because I sorta like this between-III-and-IV setting more than something that is straight up pre-fall of the Republic.

Panzeh posted:

It's a kid's show but Star Wars are kids' movies so it makes sense.

I agree and disagree with this at the same time.

Also: Hera is definitely my favorite character so far. Sabine is whatever, Zeb is whatever (goddamn it Spike Spiegel), Ezra is kinda grating so far, Kanan is cool, Chopper seems cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not going to do that stupid loving thing where I question anyone else's parenting, so please do not interpret whatever I say that way, but this comment made me realize exactly how many Stormtroopers died in the first episode. The violence is bloodless, obviously, but they don't shy away from direct shots of mooks getting shot, or even blown up/sucked into space. I don't think it's any worse than something like, say... Transformers, in any of it's myriad forms, but I'm not sure I'd compare it to Caillou.

I was away for year in the Navy. Before I left I recall watching/falling asleep to Caillou. This is.... better. Also I can imagine all the storm troopers are caillou clones. Even Peppa Pig is better than Caillou.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Floppychop posted:

Found this floating around. Looks like we now know what the PS 6 Mist Hunter pilot's ability is.

"At the start of the end phase, you can assign 1 of your stress tokens to another ship at range 1"

This looks fun. Chuck tactician and PTL on so you can throw a stress out at range 1 and 2. Unfortunately you are reaching soontir level prices for a PS6 B-wing though so probably not viable competitively.

e: I can't read french, maybe someone else can say for sure but it doesn't specify that it has to be a friendly ship, correct?

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 7, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KongGeorgeVII posted:

e: I can't read french, maybe someone else can say for sure but it doesn't specify that it has to be a friendly ship, correct?

It does not appear to, if my couple semesters still work in my brain zone. Floppy's translation sounds more or less accurate, just "[another/a different] spaceship."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
"A un autre vaisseau", to another ship, verbatim. "To another of your ships" would be "A un autre de vos vaisseaux".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

Wow that sounds like a real pain in the rear end. :)

Rules question, ya'll:

Let's say you're running the shuttle pilot, Captain Yorr, whose ability is he can receive stress for friendly ships at range 1-2. This allows for some crazy moves, including actions after K-Turns.

Now for the question: if a ship runs over a debris field, and Yorr takes the stress for them, does the ship still get its actions? I know that asteroids have "lose your action" as part of their rules, but I can't seem to find a solid ruling on if debris has the same rule.

I've always been under the impression that you lose your action when you hit debris because of the stress, not in addition to the stress. But a discussion last night makes me think I could be wrong.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Really hard to tell, but also looks like that pilot is 4-LOM.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I was away for year in the Navy. Before I left I recall watching/falling asleep to Caillou. This is.... better. Also I can imagine all the storm troopers are caillou clones. Even Peppa Pig is better than Caillou.

Rebels is fun to watch and it gives me my Star Wars fix while being something I can watch with kids. Peppa Pig is similar but replace "Star Wars" with "Absurdist Humour".

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ConfusedUs posted:

Wow that sounds like a real pain in the rear end. :)

Rules question, ya'll:

Let's say you're running the shuttle pilot, Captain Yorr, whose ability is he can receive stress for friendly ships at range 1-2. This allows for some crazy moves, including actions after K-Turns.

Now for the question: if a ship runs over a debris field, and Yorr takes the stress for them, does the ship still get its actions? I know that asteroids have "lose your action" as part of their rules, but I can't seem to find a solid ruling on if debris has the same rule.

I've always been under the impression that you lose your action when you hit debris because of the stress, not in addition to the stress. But a discussion last night makes me think I could be wrong.

Your interpretation is correct.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pbpancho posted:

Your interpretation is correct.

Got a link to a source? I have a feeling this will come up in a tournament setting soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Nothing in the debris field rules says they cost you your action step, so they don't. Tycho would ignore them almost entirely, for instance.

On another note, I flew my Scimitar Shuttle/TIEMkII/Fleet Officer/Rebel Captive, Redline/FCS/Extra Munitions/Ion Torp/Cluster Missile/Chimps and Vessery/TIE.D/Tractor Beam/VI list last night.

It tore the loving poo poo out of a Lambda and a Falcon (admittedly one flown by a new player), but I lost fairly badly to our local shark player (not cheating, just very good) with it when I managed to just forget entirely about movement order and repeatedly ram into myself, my opponent's ships, and asteroids. Being left with a single bomber shuttle against a basically uninjured Dash/Poe was painful.

It led me to think I'd turtled the bomber too hard; people just didn't care that it had the Fleet Officer aboard, the Captive was too much of a disincentive to shoot at it.

So I'm going to stick Tactician on instead. Then if I knock off the TIEMk2, I think I can fit another cheap missile on Redline...

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ConfusedUs posted:

Got a link to a source? I have a feeling this will come up in a tournament setting soon.

The official FAQ makes it clear. They also describe the rulings for Yorr and Soontir interactions (if he takes Fel's stress, Fel doesn't get assigned a focus token).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, the source would just be the Debris rules in the expansions. Asteroids say you skip your perform action step. Debris doesn't.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying to find my original cardboard maneuver templates and ruler so I don't set off any alarms when I go to the local store championships near uni once it starts lol. Kinda wonder if I should ask my friend to loan me an unpainted falcon and Zs in case somebody's also part of the mods and painting community. :3:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Reynold posted:

The Season 1 finale/Season 2 start is legitimately good, it's dark and brutal as gently caress. It's like they suddenly woke up to the fact that their audience is almost exclusively nerds in their 20s and up, and they didn't like that it was a kid show.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just want more Sabine street art in the show. That b-wing is begging to get tagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Otisburg posted:

Dangerous opinion: Chopper is a cooler astromech droid than BB-8.

I *really* like BB-8, but I do like Chopper just a little bit more, if for no other reason than he's a great example to give RPG players when they scoff at playing a droid character.

Noob opinion: So, it sounds like debris is a better obstacle than roids if your list has some stress management tech like Keyan?

• Locked thread