Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Hizawk posted:

I've never cheesed or retreated ever!

I never knew you could! So, I just blast someone down and retreat and the dude stays dead?!

Yep. My most common tactic is to run in a B-team until their tank taunts, then retreat.

Going A-B-A also seems an interesting strategy.

Unrelated, maybe it's because I only have her at 4* and so am more sensitive to it, but Daka seems to be a bullet magnet. The enemy AI just loooves to focus fire her down and she's way too fragile. After all this, looks like I have a lot more Cantina grinding to get her to 5-6* :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Huh, never though of cheesing it like that, best I could come up with was bringing all the level 1-40s in first as cannon fodder for Sid and Lumi to waste their nukes on in the latter battles. I'll keep it in mind.

Also, is Jedi Guardian as weak as everyone says? I'd like to build a Jedi squad for fun but apart from the obligatory Luminara and JC, the only other free Jedi I have is Ahsoka, all others seem to be cash shop only.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

Huh, never though of cheesing it like that, best I could come up with was bringing all the level 1-40s in first as cannon fodder for Sid and Lumi to waste their nukes on in the latter battles. I'll keep it in mind.

Also, is Jedi Guardian as weak as everyone says? I'd like to build a Jedi squad for fun but apart from the obligatory Luminara and JC, the only other free Jedi I have is Ahsoka, all others seem to be cash shop only.

Only reason I'm grinding JG is to help with the Tank-Only challenge mission.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Hizawk posted:

I've never cheesed or retreated ever!

I never knew you could! So, I just blast someone down and retreat and the dude stays dead?!

Yep! And if they taunt with your aoe's on cooldown, and your team has Sid's dots, retreat, and it'll start the battle from that point, just without the buffs/debuffs on either side, but the cooldowns will still be used up. So, you can just throw in a bunch of tanks or lowbies to soak up all their aoe's, then retreat, and blast them with aoe's from your A-team that get kept, assuming you don't need to retreat again.

TL;DR: Retreat to save, force close to load. At least, while you can, anyway.

Mr. Neutron posted:

JG steals Daka's shards. As long as you don't spend Cantina rewards on her, you won't gimp yourself too badly.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 7, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just hit 40 and using some strategic A/B teaming and retreating I made it to the second-to-the-last battle before my team tapped out. I think that is good for a first day.

Also, finally, I have credits again! (not for long)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

Eeth Koth is available from arena shipments and isn't terrible (stun, good damage, great against droids). That said all-Jedi teams are fun-only so do whatever you like!

Edit: also, Mace and Plo Koon are available from higher- tier cantina missions but compete with JC for shards.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 7, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oh man. I failed the str gear challenge cuz I just auto it and target the droids as needed. Auto Vader saber tossed Tarkin taking all the debuffs and then Tarkin went and did the one shot AE. Funniest thing I've seen in game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Whoever suggested I stick with Asajj: Danke!
Got her to gear lvl 7 now and her Strike Fear / Endless Wrath / Rampage to level 4, hot drat (only got her basic at lvl 3, but it got stun chance). The Off-up and Pen buff when an enemy dies is pretty beastly combined with her recharging AoE. Right now I'm pouring my Arena credits into Sid, might get him today, but then I'll look at either getting him to 5 stars or Asajj (might go with Asajj first due to her already having the gear while Sid levels up).
Likewise I think I'm going 5 star Luminara before 5 star Phasma... maybe 6 star Talia, she's pretty beastly now too (and maybe eventually try out a Nightsister team led by Asajj for the speed buff).

Ran into a fun PVP team, think it was lead by a 4 star Phasma or Chewie, but once inside it had Kylo Ren, Sid and Rey too (and I think Luminara for healing) - Rey just straight up murdered my JC with her 3-attack thing, but I defeated them thanks to being like 7 levels higher (53 vs 46, although that might have been the "bait" leader level - the power level was pretty similar).

Rey or Luke are looking like pretty good Strikers, maybe luke first because he can be Cantina shard grinded while Rey only got one spot until I can unlock 5-D Hard on Dark Side (which seems to require like, lvl 60 dark side team with Daka for extra healing) - is the fully onlocked Dark Side lvl 5 normal battles something like 45-56 level range (on the tin)? Some of these places feels like you need to be at least 7 levels higher than the level of the enemies, just because of how the opening AI attacks can be staggered.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Any fight with the battle droids who can drop massive crits or genosians is hard to 3*.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The grenading stormtroopers and a couple of Jedi Guardians with AoE can be pretty nasty too. Oh, and a full lineup of Sand people. gently caress those guys.

The B2 super droids as well (you can't farm those yet can you?) Hmm, and Droidekas don't seem to be in the game at all yet - guess playable Nute Gunray was a higher priority :v:

commish
Sep 17, 2009

My new arena team is almost getting to the usable stage. I want to run a team of Sid/Poggle/Kylo/Poe/IG88

The plan is for Poe to go, taunt, reduce their turn meter, Poggle buff, then everyone aoe them into oblivion. Not sure how the turn order will work when fully geared/leveled. Will be sad to leave Lumi off the team, as I will have no healing. We'll see. Right now, as a team of Sid/Lumi/Kylo/Poe/Vader, I can get most of my attacks off before the enemy does much, and once they do, they just pound away on Poe while I finish them off. It works pretty well until I face a team with 2 or 3 healers, in which case I get them down to about 15% health with one or 2 dead, but they just heal up fully. Vader doesn't do enough initial damage. I still have no idea why DOT damage does not kill people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Oh man. I failed the str gear challenge cuz I just auto it and target the droids as needed. Auto Vader saber tossed Tarkin taking all the debuffs and then Tarkin went and did the one shot AE. Funniest thing I've seen in game.

I like seeing just how big a shot I can land in that battle.

Throw as many debuffs and buffs up as possible, get Vader the dead droid buff and toss the saber.

My best is only like 38k so far. I think I can do better.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

The grenading stormtroopers and a couple of Jedi Guardians with AoE can be pretty nasty too. Oh, and a full lineup of Sand people. gently caress those guys.

The B2 super droids as well (you can't farm those yet can you?) Hmm, and Droidekas don't seem to be in the game at all yet - guess playable Nute Gunray was a higher priority :v:

Droidekas aren't in for the same reason we don't have Grevious. It's a special snowflake model that can't be reused for anything else.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

e: You mean the animation rigging? I suppose that's the reason (seems a pretty safe bet we'll get those guys eventually though).

Working my way up the daily GW and man, a team with Phasma, FO Pilot, HK-47 (5 stars) and 4 star Maul is a real pain in the butt. FO-pilot attack 3 times in a row before my line gets to do anything :suicide: (solved by sacrificial pawn, but still) - Maul and FO Pilot especially nasty with AI buffs and Phasma leader ability.

I do wonder a little about them replacing keycard battles entirely, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just... lower the energy cost to make it worth doing? (and add something else *as well*).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 7, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

You can get Eeth Koth from Arena. He's a decent anti-droid sub.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How do keycard battles work? I've never received a key.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Levantine posted:

How do keycard battles work? I've never received a key.

They're just challenges you have to pay energy to use. Same as the normal training / mining droid ones. Get the keys once per X hours from the table below the challenge. And just GETTING the key satisfies the achievement so don't bother actually doing them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're only open for 1 hour once you use a key too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
3 starred all of Light Side Chapter 5. :suicide:

5-H Light Side is two waves of Super Battle Droids, 4 then 6. That poo poo was such a drat pain in the rear end until I kitted out Luke and Resistance Trooper as high as they can currently go.

I'm mostly done with Chpater 5 on Dark Side as well. Now for the never ending grind towards level 6 and 7 gear.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

3 starred all of Light Side Chapter 5. :suicide:

5-H Light Side is two waves of Super Battle Droids, 4 then 6. That poo poo was such a drat pain in the rear end until I kitted out Luke and Resistance Trooper as high as they can currently go.

I'm mostly done with Chpater 5 on Dark Side as well. Now for the never ending grind towards level 6 and 7 gear.

Man, lvl 6 gear isn't even that bad a grind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not consistent though.

Some characters are trivial to get to 6, some are terrible. Anakin for example has like 5 slots that need purple materials to get to 6, including 2 that just give him 15 tenacity each.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's not consistent though.

Some characters are trivial to get to 6, some are terrible. Anakin for example has like 5 slots that need purple materials to get to 6, including 2 that just give him 15 tenacity each.

Phasma, Luke, JC, Lumi, Poe, and Chewie all require 0 purple gear to hit 6.

Sucks about your Anakin, tho.

edit:

I do not understand the sharp shift in farming requirement to get toons to rank IV gear, honestly. I'm trying to keep my stable to ~40 and rank IV gear, so they can be of SOME use to me in GW. It's not super easy to get that level 4 gear farmed out.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 7, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually it looks like that's 6->7, not 5->6 but the rest stands. I had purple Vader basically as soon as I got him, but I don't think I even have a place to farm the materials for Anakin yet.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's because that's when they turn the grind on, and you're already hooked at that point. It's how mobile games work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Actually it looks like that's 6->7, not 5->6 but the rest stands. I had purple Vader basically as soon as I got him, but I don't think I even have a place to farm the materials for Anakin yet.

Yeah I misspoke and this is actually what I meant. 6-7 is what I'm working on for Chewie, Sid, Daka, and Lumi right now and Lumi and Daka are both down to one item left with 20 purps required for them.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Jibo posted:

Yeah I misspoke and this is actually what I meant. 6-7 is what I'm working on for Chewie, Sid, Daka, and Lumi right now and Lumi and Daka are both down to one item left with 20 purps required for them.

gently caress Mk4 SoroSuub Keypads forever

Edit: at least you can get a few doing the str gear challenge.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

gently caress Mk4 SoroSuub Keypads forever

Edit: at least you can get a few doing the str gear challenge.

between 10-20/week!

Unrelated:

I beat GW again today, but the last 3 fights were Dooku/Sidious no tank teams. I'd like to take this time to shout out to all of you FUCKS who don't use Chewie, thereby not allowing me an ability refresh cycle at the end of each match. Ya'll can go gently caress yourselves.

The final team was Sidious, Dooku, FO Pilot, Leia, and Savage Opress... I had to sacrifice most of my chaffe just to get a decent damage layer on Sid (not even kill him, just get him close enough to die in 1-2 hits). I almost STILL lost this, because the FO pilot was killing my Poe in 1 loving turn. After many, many force-closures, I finally decided to kill that FO pilot before Sidious, and I'll be hot-damned, it worked. The pilot dies followed by Sidious and I marched on to my cheesy rewards.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah I love getting them down to just Chewie and bringing in people who need heals/cooldown refills.

Yesterday I decided to just start with my A Squad in GW and made it all the way to the end with them intact. Mainly because of mostly easy matchups. I did end up swapping out other people for the last battle just to play it safe.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I really don't know what the criteria for GW opponents are but 2 days ago, in the second to last fight, I ran into a full lvl 60 squad with purple 7* Sid, Lumi and Qui-Gon who wiped the floor with me, today my final fight was mostly lvl 57 blue 4*s led by Jedi Consular :v:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The final team was Sidious, Dooku, FO Pilot, Leia, and Savage Opress... I had to sacrifice most of my chaffe just to get a decent damage layer on Sid (not even kill him, just get him close enough to die in 1-2 hits). I almost STILL lost this, because the FO pilot was killing my Poe in 1 loving turn. After many, many force-closures, I finally decided to kill that FO pilot before Sidious, and I'll be hot-damned, it worked. The pilot dies followed by Sidious and I marched on to my cheesy rewards.
Sidious is great but a lot of people think he's good for his damage and that's not really it. I make the 51-100 rank prize every day now with Phasma/Greedo/Consular/Daka/Kylo Ren (formerly FOST), on my way up the ranks I could not see why people valued Sidious so highly because I would first turn kill him and they would have like Dooku and three healers left and I could literally outheal their damage while killing one per turn. When I borrowed Sidious from people with similar ranks (and at least purple gear), he would crit for as much damage as Greedo hit for normally.

I think having Big Damage is more important than having Heal Immunity. Heal Immunity only matters if they survive to get healed. Probably still smarter to max Sidious but make sure you get Geonosian Soldier, Resistance Trooper, a pilot or Luke going too, and probably focus on gearing them up over every other character.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

Sidious is great but a lot of people think he's good for his damage and that's not really it. I make the 51-100 rank prize every day now with Phasma/Greedo/Consular/Daka/Kylo Ren (formerly FOST), on my way up the ranks I could not see why people valued Sidious so highly because I would first turn kill him and they would have like Dooku and three healers left and I could literally outheal their damage while killing one per turn. When I borrowed Sidious from people with similar ranks (and at least purple gear), he would crit for as much damage as Greedo hit for normally.

I think having Big Damage is more important than having Heal Immunity. Heal Immunity only matters if they survive to get healed. Probably still smarter to max Sidious but make sure you get Geonosian Soldier, Resistance Trooper, a pilot or Luke going too, and probably focus on gearing them up over every other character.

His normal attack has a p good chance to make his target immune to any healing except for Barris, which is why everyone loves him. The AI is also too stupid to know that, so it wastes turns trying to heal people that will not receive any benefit.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

His normal attack has a p good chance to make his target immune to any healing except for Barris, which is why everyone loves him. The AI is also too stupid to know that, so it wastes turns trying to heal people that will not receive any benefit.
That's a good reason he's good, but people who just hear "use Sidious" and he's the first 4* vaguely damage-oriented character they see get blown away when they see what a real DPS character can do. I have seen so many Dooku/Sidious/Bariss/Lumi/JC or Chewie teams I feel like it's worth pointing out he's not a good choice as your primary source of damage and you absolutely need to include one of those in your lineup.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sidious is not competing with most DPS characters for arena shipments though

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

That's a good reason he's good, but people who just hear "use Sidious" and he's the first 4* vaguely damage-oriented character they see get blown away when they see what a real DPS character can do. I have seen so many Dooku/Sidious/Bariss/Lumi/JC or Chewie teams I feel like it's worth pointing out he's not a good choice as your primary source of damage and you absolutely need to include one of those in your lineup.

I'm getting my Sidious tonight, he will probably be replacing my Chewie.

So the Line-up will be Poe, Lumi, JC, Luke, Sid

But your point is well met, friend. Everyone should have one of Luke, FO Pilot, or Res Trooper. They're all pretty easy to obtain, and they'll take your Arena/GW A-team to another level.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

I'm getting my Sidious tonight, he will probably be replacing my Chewie.

So the Line-up will be Poe, Lumi, JC, Luke, Sid

But your point is well met, friend. Everyone should have one of Luke, FO Pilot, or Res Trooper. They're all pretty easy to obtain, and they'll take your Arena/GW A-team to another level.

FO Pilot isn't, but resistance Pilot is. All are pretty good.

Sid's awesome because he has pretty good aoe with some debuffs and his heal immunity causes the AI to do dumb things. He also has insane evade rates against Jedi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FO Pilot was if you played last month I guess.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Easy to obtain is different from easy to star up. I've been farming tie pilot and he's still only 4*.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Sidious is not competing with most DPS characters for arena shipments though
I think that's why "buy Sidious" is widely heard advice, while who you get for your DPS is more debatable, so the advice gets watered down to beneath the "Barriss/Dooku/Lumi are OP" level. To get a DPS you have to give up something widely regarded as good - RP competes with Lumi, Geonosian Soldier and Luke compete with JC. (Resistance Trooper just levels very slowly, and FOTP starts getting shards super late and just as slowly). To get Sidious you have to give up, um, Greedo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but dudes point earlier was that Greedo is of that strand of glass-cannon DPS like Luke & associates.

W/E, though, Once I have Dooku, my dark-side stable will feature all of the Sith from the prequel Trilogy and there's part of me that's happy about that.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

First day of using Poggle in arena, and I'm in love.

Start of fight. Enemy is 2000 or so points ahead of me in power, has some good units in Leia, QGJ, etc.

After one round:

This is how all 5 fights went. Easy to pick them off after this. I think they might nerf offensive up buff a bit. It's crazy strong.

• Locked thread