Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Agreed on the smooth curves but it basically looks like a black Xbox 360 so what's the big deal?

I actually find that way more hideous than the RVZ01. Glossy black hasn't been cool in a decade either, poo poo's a fingerprint magnet.

The RVZ01 is the least hideous out of all the variants Raven offers, IMO. Again, it just looks like a black XBox so whatever. The ML07 is perfectly fine looking too, if you're looking for something that looks like a cable box instead.

The one I'm waiting for is the DAN A4-SFX. That's literally the smallest you can physically make a mITX case and the airflow looks pretty fantastic considering (assuming you put it on its side, or cable-side down on a stand monolith style).

christ and i thought the ncase was difficult to work in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Malcolm XML posted:

christ and i thought the ncase was difficult to work in

You didn't work hard enough on a mITX build if your hands don't look like a cat mauled them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GrizzlyCow posted:

The etnews article is in English.

Yes, but it's in what appears to be machine-translated English, or translated by someone who doesn't have a great grasp of English just yet. Still don't trust it 100%.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Today, in self-explanatory URLs:

http://techreport.com/news/29478/report-samsung-may-begin-producing-chips-for-amd-in-2016

Normally, I'd be reading this from the original source, but a) I do not speaka the moon runes, 2) I don't know how reputable etnews is, and iii) I'm not sure I believe it. So I'm preparing to throw TechReport under the bus if it's wrong. =P

But, it at least has a grain of truth to it... working on Samsung's FinFET process means that Samsung could port production over to their own wholly-owned fabs, and a quick transition to 10nm, which the source article says that Samsung is ramping for 2017.

I'll re-iterate what I said before: For a company that's allegedly going bankrupt at the end of 2016, man, they sure aren't acting like it.

This makes sense from AMD's side, there's really no risk on their end; all of the risk is assumed by Samsung. There probably isn't any up-front cost on AMD's side, just guaranteed min order volume once production starts.

If Zen is successful then AMD shouldn't have any problems meeting those order volumes. If it's not successful then Samsung can get in line with everyone else at bankruptcy court.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I could also see this deal coming about because 1) Samsung would be a great way for AMD to get into mobile, 2) AMD has GPU expertise that Samsung could use to get away from Mali. If AI and Zen are successful, there is no reason the companies wouldn't be rolling in money and continue to develop a stronger relationship.

Wonder if AMD could also pull off something similar with Apple "Yea, just switch to Zen and you'll have the help of RTG on your GPU designs".

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 23, 2015

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Samsung is also the only vendor in the world that can produce ASICs, interposers, and HBM, all together in-house.

There is a benefit to having a one-stop shop, especially when co-integrating multiple vendors items at the package level is still largely voodoo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just built the first AMD machine I've built in years:

AMD 9590 4.7 Ghz Octocore
Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Z Mainboard
10GB DDR3 (whatever I had laying around)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB
300 GB SAS (OS)
4TB SATA (Storage)
1200 Watt PSU.

Pretty happy with it for whatever I had laying around.

And now he gets to sit next to my home server:

Dell R815
4 x 12 Core AMD Opteron 2.2 Ghz
96 GB ECC DDR3
6 x 146 GB SAS in RAID-10 (OS/Applications/VMs)
8 x 1TB SATA in RAID-5E (Storage/Applications)

And next to my old box:

Dell R905
4 x 4 Core AMD Opteron 2.0 Ghz
128 GB ECC DDR2
6 x 146 GB SAS in RAID-10

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 24, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CommieGIR posted:

Please tell me you didn't pay money for this chip.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

pretty sweet opterons tho

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 24, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I just built the first AMD machine I've built in years:

Ah. You're going to overclock it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

Please tell me you didn't pay money for this chip.

It was free. Client was going out of business, and they had hardware they purchased for their Marketing guy.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Ah. You're going to overclock it?

I've looked up overclocks for it, and it seems like they barely push 5.0 Ghz out of it. I've got it water-cooled, so I'm not above taking a shot at it, but it performs pretty well as it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I've looked up overclocks for it, and it seems like they barely push 5.0 Ghz out of it. I've got it water-cooled, so I'm not above taking a shot at it, but it performs pretty well as it.

You better have some rad watercooling on that thing; a 5 GHz Piledriver can cause a decent AIO watercooler to overload and anything too far above that is limited by your motherboard's power delivery. HardwareCanucks discovered this the crash-filled way..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

You better have some rad watercooling on that thing; a 5 GHz Piledriver can cause a decent AIO watercooler to overload and anything too far above that is limited by your motherboard's power delivery. HardwareCanucks discovered this the crash-filled way..

I'm not likely going to overclock it, and I have an Antec water cooler on it right now, it seems to handle the stock speed just fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It looks like it really does push about 250W. That's possible on a 120mm radiator - the 295x2 pushes 500W on the same cooler size. But man that's not gonna be fun.

However - it'll perform somewhere between an i3 4170 and an i5-4460, just at 3x the power consumption.

This has to be the one thread where we advise you not to buy the titular products. Except for maybe like a furry thread or something. It's mostly just a Athlon XP / X64 / X2 nostalgia thread with some Phenom X2 guys thrown in for good measure. The glory days.

The Opterons sound cool though. Why don't you tell us about those. Can you put faster constructor cores there and like crunch videos or something?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 24, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

This has to be the one thread where we advise you not to buy the titular products. Except for maybe like a furry thread or something. It's mostly just a Athlon XP / X64 / X2 nostalgia thread with some Phenom X2 guys thrown in for good measure. The glory days.

The Opterons sound cool though. Why don't you tell us about those. Can you put faster constructor cores there and like crunch videos or something?

:ssh: The 9590 Was free. So was the motherboard.

The R815 is running 4 x 6174 Opterons, I use it for MATLAB and Simulations. It also runs Plex and hosts the controller for my Powervault Disk Array.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Opteron%206174%20-%20OS6174WKTCEGO%20(OS6174WKTCEGOWOF).html

And the AMD 9590 isn't THAT terrible:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-9590+Eight-Core&id=2014

Its between an i7 4770k and an i7 4790k. Nothing against the i7, I've got one in my Dell Precision.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 24, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Bear in mind Passmark is pretty much perfect for that CPU - things are going to play out very differently for most actual usage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-9590+Eight-Core&id=2014

Its between an i7 4770k and an i7 4790k. Nothing against the i7, I've got one in my Dell Precision.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-9590/2432vs1812

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1289

On the other hand - nothing against AMD, I ran AMD processors since my K6-2 400 up until my Phenom II, but nowadays Intel just flat out wins. Intel ties in most productivity tasks except for highly threadable ones and the win is usually slight. And in gaming: Intel wrecks single threaded performance, Intel wins in average FPS, and the ownage gets even harder when you look at minimum FPS which are critically important to stutter free gameplay.

Practically speaking the 9590 is somewhere between an i3-4170 and an i5-4460 in real world performance, just pulling 2-3x the power to do the job. The 4690K absolutely smokes it and AMD has no effective answer to the 4790K let alone the 6700K.

Nowadays AMD processors that aren't based on Jaguar are just about unjustifiable vs the bargain priced LGA2011v3 processors. Jaguar/Kabini/etc is (barely) justifiable vs Baytrail-D but nothing past that is particularly notable anymore.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 24, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CommieGIR posted:

That entirely depends on how you look at it:

Chowing down on power:

You can definitely cherry pick benchmarks that make it look almost competitive if you entirely ignore power draw, and ones that make it look awful if you concentrate on single-thread performance (as a lot of games still will benefit from). Of course, once the bottleneck generally shifts to the GPU, the difference is smaller; but you still have a space heater.

All that said, gently caress it, it was free; so was the board as you mentioned, so you might as well play around with it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 24, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pay more to do less, the AMD way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm a little confused here. Why are we measuring FPS for the CPUs?

go3 posted:

Pay more to do less, the AMD way.

:shrug: Or we could just have ourselves a monopoly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

CommieGIR posted:

Why aren't we? IIRC that DX9 graph was populated using the same GPU setup with each of those processors. Higher FPS means the CPU is dealing with driver overhead and other issues more quickly, giving the GPU setup less downtime and smoother gameplay.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Intel has had a de facto monopoly on the performance desktop market since Sandybridge. Laptop-derived stuff like FM2 and AM1 are their only marketable products nowadays and only in niche applications.

Measuring FPS in various games for various CPUs while holding the rest of the hardware constant is very straightforward. It's a real world benchmark - you're not buying the computer to play Linpack, right? Ideally it would include minimum fps or some other measure of microstutter too.

At this point the FX series is questionable even if it's given to you. It's bested by a midrange processor that's 4 years old, and it consumes like 3x as much power to do so. I like AMD GPUs and I don't normally go for the efficiency argument but that's past what even I can stomach. 225w is a lot of loving power and heat.

Single threaded performance is king in gaming, period. Also that's not even getting into overclocking - you can overclock any of the K processors like crazy and then they dunk on AMD even harder. Especially when you look at frame pacing / minimum FPS / frametimes.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 24, 2015

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: Or we could just have ourselves a monopoly.

To evaluate the relative performance between chips.

The market of "enthusiast x86/64 processors" is not something we are going to make a difference in by buying inferior products.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

They're all likely using the same exact GPU and lowest settings to shift as much workload to the CPU as possible to measure CPU performance? TBF, If you can run a game on max settings the differences aren't as dramatic (from 30-40% down to 15-25%), but still present and you consume too much power for that performance.

Also using that as a scale indicates that Zen will be roughly equal to slightly better than Ivy Bridge clock for clock while consuming less power. Hope they can overclock well and are cheap :\.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jago posted:

To evaluate the relative performance between chips.

The market of "enthusiast x86/64 processors" is not something we are going to make a difference in by buying inferior products.
yeah the stuff that sells in lots of millions are server chips and laptop chips

the implication here being that the CMT method also lost out to intel in high performance workspaces, and AMD's never had much of a foothold in laptops due to market inertia and probably never will unless they can outpace intel in both features and performance at the same price and power bracket

poo poo's fairly rough

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel has had a de facto monopoly on the performance desktop market since Sandybridge. Laptop-derived stuff like FM2 and AM1 are their only marketable products nowadays and only in niche applications.

Measuring FPS in various games for various CPUs while holding the rest of the hardware constant is very straightforward. It's a real world benchmark - you're not buying the computer to play Linpack, right? Ideally it would include minimum fps or some other measure of microstutter too.

At this point the FX series is questionable even if it's given to you. It's bested by a midrange processor that's 4 years old, and it consumes like 3x as much power to do so. I like AMD GPUs and I don't normally go for the efficiency argument but that's past what even I can stomach. 225w is a lot of loving power and heat.

Single threaded performance is king in gaming, period. Also that's not even getting into overclocking - you can overclock any of the K processors like crazy and then they dunk on AMD even harder. Especially when you look at frame pacing / minimum FPS / frametimes.

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

That entirely depends on how you look at it:

How embarrasing for AMD that most of their current products are still not better than a processor they released 5 years ago.
It was embarrasing when bulldozer first came out, but how hard is it to beat a 5 year old product when you have more than a full node advantage.

E: even worse when you look at the APU's. AMD APU's: slightly better than a 6.5 year old quadcore

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 26, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm left wondering how a Deneb can outpreform a similarly clocked Thuban by any such margin.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm left wondering how a Deneb can outpreform a similarly clocked Thuban by any such margin.

It's the strictly higher clock rate doing that (3.7 vs 3.3 respectively), but the Thuban still has a slight advantage in frames per clock (27 vs 28 respectively).

I still wonder how a 28nm Deneb/Thuban would perform. I don't think performance would much improve but they'd likely run really cold compared to Construction cores.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

GrizzlyCow posted:

You mean x4 980 vs x6 1100t? 3.7 GHz is x4's base clock and x6's boost clock, thuban can't hold max boost.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Oops. Yeah, I mistook the X6 1100T's turbo clock for its base clock.

It's a drat shame that outfits like TechReport doesn't include Phenom II results in their tests since I'd like to see how Deneb and Thuban holds up in modern games that do make use of more than 4 cores. Especially if they're OC'd to FX levels.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

Oops. Yeah, I mistook the X6 1100T's turbo clock for its base clock.

It's a drat shame that outfits like TechReport doesn't include Phenom II results in their tests since I'd like to see how Deneb and Thuban holds up in modern games that do make use of more than 4 cores. Especially if they're OC'd to FX levels.

A Thuban under water will beat a Piledriver clock for clock IIRC, let alone Bulldozer.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/amd_have_revealed_their_new_wraith_cpu_stock_cooler/1

quote:

Let's hope that this change in CPU cooler design has not been prompted by how hot their new Zen CPU cores run as we certainly do not want another Volcano CPU from AMD, especially given how cool Intel CPUs run these days.
So, basically as hot as FX-E chips run, then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

The new, premium AMD Wraith Cooler features a near-silent noise profile

quote:

it is clear to hear how much quieter AMD's new reference cooler is.

I'm OK with that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
When Intel is no longer shipping heatsinks with their performance parts, did this new heatsink really need to exist?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm not sure AMD is operating on the same consumer disregard tier as Intel though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amd doesn't have performance parts to not ship heatsinks with.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Amd doesn't have performance parts to not ship heatsinks with.
Opterons didn't come with heatsinks for a while

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I run some FX-6300 (I think?) Six core thing in my home desktop.

Winters get cold here in New England, so I can save on the heat by just running a bunch of VMs in the background. In the summer though, between the dust and the stock cooler, the thing has a tendency to hard-crash.

Basically, pretty good if you want a space heater that can also do video encoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't consider Intel's new thing of not including a heatsink with K parts to be a bad thing. I do not know anyone who does not run an aftermarket cooler on K parts anyways, except when said aftermarket heatsink doesn't work, either because of DOA or age, and even then, only as a stopgap measure.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread