Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My personal opinion/response to what you've said is that there is a massive difference between being aware and wary of the fact that ISIS recruits potential terrorists in Canada, and entrapping two mentally handicapped individuals to meet a Harper government agenda. That said, I think do understand your point, I just think you're being hyperbolic and completely skipping over the difference here between what actually happened and the fearful paranoid the RCMP wants us to buy into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So since you are theoretically capable of killing someone, should we just skip the formalities and try you for murder?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PT6A posted:

I'm not making things up. Daesh really was recruiting Calgarians and other Canadians (one of them a convert) who were (probably) mentally handicapped to go fight in Syria. This is a documented thing that happened, not a paranoid fantasy. Daesh recruited and trained French and Belgian citizens to carry out the attacks in Paris. These are facts that we know, not empty threats. These two people that the RCMP targeted may not have been a threat to anyone on their own, but they quite possibly would have been a threat had they been found by terrorist recruiters, who, yes, absolutely prey on the mentally handicapped and/or children without a second thought. There's no reason to think that Daesh or another group locating these people and using them as tools, precisely as the RCMP did, is particularly far-fetched. As such, they did represent a threat to public safety, and while we spent too much money to catch them, I don't think it's a bad thing that we did catch them.

Good point. However, shouldn't we be using finite resources to identify these radicalized individuals and neutralizing them rather than identifying people prone to radicalization and then radicalizing them to justify arresting them?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

These people didn't just think about a thing, they were about to do a thing. They would've done that thing if they'd been dealing with actual terrorists and not undercover law enforcement.

This isn't thoughtcrime by any stretch.

you said you're straight-up in favour of entrapping people who are theoretically willing to Do Terrorisms but havent actually done anything so uhhhhh

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PT6A posted:

These people didn't just think about a thing, they were about to do a thing. They would've done that thing if they'd been dealing with actual terrorists and not undercover law enforcement.

This isn't thoughtcrime by any stretch.

Then maybe just monitor them until they do the thing, thus probably saving a ton of time and $$ and also not entrapping them.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ChickenWing posted:

Then maybe just monitor them until they do the thing, thus probably saving a ton of time and $$ and also not entrapping them.

this is the thing i dont get, there are a bunch of effective ways you can deal with people prone to being radicalized, monitor them or intervene and try to deradicalize them or address the underlying issues that lead to radicalization, or, you know, all sorts of goddamn things

none of which involve both the entrapment and further radicalization of mentally ill people, i mean, what, why, why die on this lovely monstrous rock, of all rocks

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So much intellectual

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ambrose Burnside posted:

this is the thing i dont get, there are a bunch of effective ways you can deal with people prone to being radicalized, monitor them or intervene and try to deradicalize them or address the underlying issues that lead to radicalization, or, you know, all sorts of goddamn things

none of which involve both the entrapment and further radicalization of mentally ill people, i mean, what, why, why die on this lovely monstrous rock, of all rocks

Yeah Entrapment is pretty established as A Bad Thing. The only people I can imagine defending it are the same sort of people that spout off about privacy not being important if you have nothing to hide.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

That's a very interesting article. Maybe the RCMP could have just sent these people some book gift certificates and pizza money and saved a lot of their budget. Basically you have a naive and lonely girl getting attention and then...converting to Islam and almost maybe marrying some guy. Those loving terrorists, eh.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mmmm this cake is good. Oh crazy look at this I still have cake.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You know what's going to radicalize me and make me go and blow up a parliament building? Reading about our government committing terrorist acts and blaming mentally ill people. I'm sure a lot of people can say the same.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ChickenWing posted:

But then how will we know that this new legislation protects us from terrorists?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really wish the RCMP had pulled out of BC back in 2012.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

But then how will we know that this new legislation protects us from terrorists?

Look, there's only so many people who can be radicalized, we just have to make sure the RCMP is the one that does it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gus Hobbleton posted:

You know what's going to radicalize me and make me go and blow up a parliament building? Reading about our government committing terrorist acts and blaming mentally ill people. I'm sure a lot of people can say the same.

For 10 million dollars and some training in explosives I will blow up PT6A.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't have that kind of money, but I wish I did.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The shitrockets are gonna fly, Randy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tsyni posted:

For 10 million dollars and some training in explosives I will blow up PT6A.

Insha'Allah

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I don't have that kind of money, but I wish I did.

But would you blow up Parliament? Asking for a friend :tinfoil:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I repeat:

quote:

The provincial NDP... have continued to govern as if they actually won the election last spring

And again:

quote:

They have continued to govern

as if they actually won the election last spring

This is coming from a professor of political science, at an accredited university. You see, the NDP didn't really win the May 5th 2015 Albertan election. I mean they did, but

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 7, 2016

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
From the head notes of R v Mack:

quote:

The following factors may be considered in determining if the police have gone further than providing an opportunity:
  1. (1) the type of crime being investigated and the availability of other techniques for the police detection of its commission;
  2. (2) whether an average person, with both strengths and weaknesses, in the position of the accused would be induced into the commission of a crime;
  3. (3) the persistence and number of attempts made by the police before the accused agreed to committing the offence;
  4. (4) the type of inducement used by the police including: deceit, fraud, trickery or reward;
  5. (5) the timing of the police conduct, in particular whether the police have instigated the offence or became involved in ongoing criminal activity;
  6. (6) whether the police conduct involves an exploitation of human characteristics such as the emotions of compassion, sympathy and friendship;
  7. (7) whether the police appear to have exploited a particular vulnerability of a person such as a mental handicap or a substance addiction;
  8. (8) the proportionality between the police involvement, as compared to the accused, including an assessment of the degree of harm caused or risked by the police, as compared to the accused, and the commission of any illegal acts by the police themselves;
  9. (9) the existence of any threats, implied or express, made to the accused by the police or their agents;
  10. (10) whether the police conduct is directed at undermining other constitutional values.
This list is not exhaustive.
It is difficult to me to see where the RCMP will run afoul of this doctrine for this particular judge, but the defence counsel is definitely taking a stab at 7. I don't think this is a good idea - rather, "the exploitation of human characteristics" would be a surer bet.

These folks strike me as completely unmoored, and the RCMP provided them with a peer group and focus they didn't have. Defence could argue that the focus provided was wishful thinking by the RCMP officers. However, these folks are probably not going to see an acquittal. I'm not an expert in the disorders they might be facing, but they face a huge uphill battle on proving that they weren't just the DUMBEST enthusiastic warriors for Allah this side of the Pacific.

Yeah.

They're going to jail, and the RCMP wasted big money on a terrorism sting that could have been prevented by getting them to sign up for a rock climbing club.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChickenWing posted:

Agreed. I'm not saying the ends justify the means; the means were quite clearly lovely and a giant waste of money. Just that the end is, in this case, not a bad thing, and the means (although not something to be encouraged) were probably legal, and should be legal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

I repeat:

And again:

This is coming from a professor of political science, at an accredited university. You see, the NDP didn't really win the May 5th 2015 Albertan election. I mean they did, but

That entire opinion piece is like a parody of a conservative person.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This has been the best four pages of canpol in ages. Nonstop hilarity, thank you for making my boring rear end day less boring. I knew the thread would come around on this eventually.

PT6A, if seriously organized domestic terrorists wanted to off some politicians, they would go about it in a much more thorough fashion than indiscriminately killing innocents in a public space. If you think the joke of the RCMP could stop such an event, remember that they couldn't even stop a heroin junkie from running into Parliament Hill with a rifle. That they've failed to catch every major serial killer in Canadian history, letting them roam free for decades.

The "problem" :airquote: is that the people intelligent enough to pull off such an operation unhindered are also smart enough to weigh the cost / benefit of doing so, and realize that an assassination spree currently does not pay out in their favor. So all we've seen in 21st century North America are the attempts of drug addicts and lunatics, backed by the state itself.

First you are legitimately shocked that class warfare still exists for white people, and now all this tomfoolery today? For shame, man, you're smarter than this. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

Agreed. I'm not saying the ends justify the means; the means were quite clearly lovely and a giant waste of money. Just that the end is, in this case, not a bad thing, and the means (although not something to be encouraged) were probably legal, and should be legal.

"the ends justify the means" is probably not a phrase you should agree with in any significant capacity

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChickenWing posted:

"the ends justify the means" is probably not a phrase you should agree with in any significant capacity

And I don't. So what's the problem?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

And I don't. So what's the problem?

You basically said "I'm not saying the ends justify the means, but in this case the ends totally justified the means"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

You basically said "I'm not saying the ends justify the means, but in this case the ends totally justified the means"

No, I'm saying the end was good, and the means were lovely (because they were inefficient, not because they ought to be illegal).

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Edit: nevermind

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

What's that saying about liberals wonder how an issue makes them feel and conservatives wonder if it's correct? I never even considered how I feel about these two people.

I'd rather acknowledge my biases or feelings and work through them explicitly rather than pretend that I'm objective enough to instantly form correct judgements. In this case I have no idea what I would do if I were a judge or politician -- quite possibly I'd throw the case out so that the RCMP doesn't try this bullshit again, since the people in question don't seem to be a real threat. But having said that I still fall back on my previous statement, which is that I just can't sympathize much with someone who, however addled they were, was seemingly doing their (incompetent) best to commit mass murder.

quote:

They're mentally weak ex-heroin junkies who got off the train when they found methadone and Islam. They're walking playdough and I bet thousands of other people could have filled their role.

I feel like they were a couple of suggestible drug addicts who got cleaner by associating with a violent cult and then the RCMP comes along and turns that association into action. I'm not sure if I feel bad for them right now but it's hard to judge their character without having quit heroin, I've heard it's pretty tough. I feel bad that they replaced heroin with Islam and got sucked into the more violent aspects instead of just compulsively painting landscapes or something.

I've watched more than one person descend into serious addiction, including heroin in one case. That obviously in no way means I have any real insight into what it's like to be a recovering junkie, but in my experience people with drug addictions still have personal agency and can still be judged, at least morally, for the actions they decide to take. If one of my friends who descended into addiction became a terrorist I don't think I'd ever forgive them or consider them a good person ever again.

I knew a guy who would intentionally try to get girls he slept with hooked on drugs so that they wouldn't leave him. The guy was a hardcore addict and also had a hosed up background and was one of the saddest people I've ever met with a lot of mental insecurities. But he was also a piece of poo poo and his drug problems and bad past never made me overlook the fact he was about as close to evil as any living person I've met can get.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

I've watched more than one person descend into serious addiction, including heroin in one case. That obviously in no way means I have any real insight into what it's like to be a recovering junkie, but in my experience people with drug addictions still have personal agency and can still be judged, at least morally, for the actions they decide to take.

There's also a difference between "I need to steal some poo poo so I can get money and buy drugs so I don't feel like death anymore" and "tra la la, let's go commit a terrorist attack!"

I'm guessing the average mentally handicapped person and/or drug addict is quite as horrified at the thought of killing many people as the rest of us are.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

There's also a difference between "I need to steal some poo poo so I can get money and buy drugs so I don't feel like death anymore" and "tra la la, let's go commit a terrorist attack!"

I'm guessing the average mentally handicapped person and/or drug addict is quite as horrified at the thought of killing many people as the rest of us are.

They live in a delusional reality where someone they think they had befriended encouraged them, in a bad state of mind, to do the offences in question. Are you not aware they spent 2 months playing video games and doing drugs before the RCMP got mad and threatened them before they actually created the fake bombs?

Throw the case out, stick them in an institution for a while, and monitor them if they ever get released.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

They live in a delusional reality where someone they think they had befriended encouraged them, in a bad state of mind, to do the offences in question. Are you not aware they spent 2 months playing video games and doing drugs before the RCMP got mad and threatened them before they actually created the fake bombs?

Throw the case out, stick them in an institution for a while, and monitor them if they ever get released.

That doesn't mean they weren't willing and able to do a crime, that just means they have the work ethic of the average millennial :v:

They were already self-radicalised when the RCMP, and whether or not it was a giant waste of money, the investigation proved that they were willing and capable of committing a terrorist offence with direction. It was a waste of time and money and we oughtn't do this again in the future, but the conclusion of this investigation and subsequent convictions are not problematic in my mind.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
They might have been willing, but "capable" is arguable. They certainly wouldn't have been able to blow anyone up other than themselves without direction, and I suspect your average actual ISIS mastermind would give up on these idiots roughly the second time he caught them playing video games instead of making bombs.

"My clients are way too stupid and disorganized to be of any use to any terrorist plotter" might not be the most dignified defence, but it might be correct.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yes, I'm certain Daesh has the most exacting of requirements for their cannon fodder and would expect only the finest in professionalism from the cretins they'd convinced to blow themselves up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

They might have been willing, but "capable" is arguable. They certainly wouldn't have been able to blow anyone up other than themselves without direction, and I suspect your average actual ISIS mastermind would give up on these idiots roughly the second time he caught them playing video games instead of making bombs.

"My clients are way too stupid and disorganized to be of any use to any terrorist plotter" might not be the most dignified defence, but it might be correct.

I think this really cuts of the heart of why I'm unsympathetic to these clowns but also indifferent to whether they end up in jail.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was going to chime in with some thoughts but this pretty much sums it up:

PT6A posted:

It was a waste of time and money and we oughtn't do this again in the future, but the conclusion of this investigation and subsequent convictions are not problematic in my mind.

Though I'd like to see the people in the RCMP who approved and operated this idiotic endeavor rooted out and punished, and preferably stripped of any decisionmaking capability since they've shown that they're nearly as dangerously erratic, and I don't think either that or the above quote is remotely controversial and this thread has spent several pages arguing without any meaningful difference on policy stance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I dunno, sounds to me like plenty of folks are whinging that these poor mentally ill people got victimised by the RCMP, which is hardly the case.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

They were victimized by the RCMP though. In a sane society they would have been caught by the safety net a long time ago, and it's obvious that they were taken advantage of and used as pawns.

It just happens to be the case that they wouldn't have been available to be victimized if they hadn't been willing to contemplate mass murder.

I don't know, maybe that's just a tedious distinction, but it seems relevant here. It's possible to both recognize they were victimized and also not feel sorry for them.

Brannock posted:

Though I'd like to see the people in the RCMP who approved and operated this idiotic endeavor rooted out and punished, and preferably stripped of any decisionmaking capability since they've shown that they're nearly as dangerously erratic, and I don't think either that or the above quote is remotely controversial and this thread has spent several pages arguing without any meaningful difference on policy stance.

The RCMP should have been abolished decades ago.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is really my issue with the whole thing. If there was a serious belief that these people were a threat, surveillance would have been the correct answer. It's not like when the RCMP thinks someone is going to kill their spouse they show up at the house, tie the spouse down and hand the other person a gun. They are supposed to go and see if there is any credible threat and if there is, act on it to enforce the law. We take it on face value that people are able to have beliefs and at any time change those beliefs, so what is to say that these same Islam converts wouldn't just have continued on their way doing heroin and bothering nobody if left alone? Instead the RCMP cajole them into action just to slap the cuffs on them. It feels like the Mr. Big cases all over again.

My other issue is that if they thought these people were a threat for radicalization, why not sit back and wait to see who comes about to radicalize them. These people could have been useful for finding out if there actually was anyone in the area converting others to commit terrorist acts. Instead we now have two heroin junkies locked up and useless to us. Best of all, even if their incarceration stands, a judge is going to look at all of this during sentencing and give the lowest possible sentence, making sure these "terrorists" are out in as little time as possible. Justice served. As well, if/when they do get released, we will have to engage in constant surveillance anyway because they are now known as people who probably won't, but would for the right amount of cash, would blow some stuff up

Hopefully it makes it to the SCC so we can get some good framework going forward to work with on these types of cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The worst thing these two idiots have done is forced this thread to talk about them once a month with everyone repeating the position they clarified the last time we talked about them.

e: here's a criminal thing that really bothers me.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6217431-former-harper-drummer-sentenced-on-sex-charges/

This piece of poo poo only got 2 years.

and THIS piece of poo poo Ottawa Sun reporter tweeted the following about the sentencing

Ex-PM Stephen Harper's former drummer Phillip Nolan has been sentenced to TWO YEARS in jail for tryst with then-13-yo girl student. #ottnews

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 8, 2016