Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So apparently Peter Watts has been working on a Person of Interest tie-in novel.

I, for one, am pretty goddamned excited about that.

http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=6409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So Daniel Suarez's Daemon/Freedom is not that well written, but a fun read. Anything else similar to it, except maybe more well written?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xian posted:

So Daniel Suarez's Daemon/Freedom is not that well written, but a fun read. Anything else similar to it, except maybe more well written?

Linda Nagata's Red trilogy.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

freebooter posted:

Wear sunglasses you dork

Toughen up your retinas, you pansy.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thanks!

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I finished Ubik the other day and found it profoundly disturbing on a personal level. It is a good book, but it span me out proper. What unsettled me is the confusion which the situation causes. Nothing is real. I have a fear of losing my mental capacity and it made me think of all my patients with Alzheimer's disease.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GODS NOT REAL posted:

I finished Ubik the other day and found it profoundly disturbing on a personal level. It is a good book, but it span me out proper. What unsettled me is the confusion which the situation causes. Nothing is real. I have a fear of losing my mental capacity and it made me think of all my patients with Alzheimer's disease.

Dick.txt. Welcome to a book by a decidedly unhappy paranoid schizophrenic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Last night I wrapped up (more like gave up) on The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. What an absolutely confusing, messy novel. I had such a difficult time keeping the plot in order outside of the broad details. Characters were vaguely defined at best along with unclear motivations. I never once felt like I had a solid grasp of what was going on.

Not to say that there wasn't anything positive. The idea of these millennia old guardships patrolling controlled space was very cool. Each ship had it's own personality. Space combat stuff was cool. That was really it.

If this book was indicative of Cook's style, I'll be sure to skip whatever else he's done. Very frustrating.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I didn't fully enjoy The Dragon Never Sleeps either. What annoyed me was that you have this great setting like you said with these millennia old warships - and then the book does things like specifically describe all the colonies as identical prefabs right down to having the same district names.

I found it impossible to care about the rebellions or power struggles when everyone involved fell kind of flat and when the society they lived in felt so completely lifeless/without wonder.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Just finished A Darkling Sea which got recommended in here a few pages book. The setting was well-developed and cool as hell, and I loved the aliens.

It scratched a Vinge-esque itch for aliens that are significantly alien, and I really enjoyed all the various reasons for confusion/misunderstanding between species. The ending felt sort of rushed to me, though. Like the book had been taking its time and the author suddenly remembered he had to finish it by the end of the day or else. Still, a good read with neat science and cool aliens who I grew real fond of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished reading The Mechanical yesterday and thought it was a fairly strong book that loses it at the end. Instead of a satisfying conclusion it was just a bunch of sequel hooks. Also, maybe it's just me but I really don't care about the whole war between New France and the Dutch Empire. It didn't feel like there was a good reason to root for New France.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Just finished A Darkling Sea which got recommended in here a few pages book. The setting was well-developed and cool as hell, and I loved the aliens.

It scratched a Vinge-esque itch for aliens that are significantly alien, and I really enjoyed all the various reasons for confusion/misunderstanding between species. The ending felt sort of rushed to me, though. Like the book had been taking its time and the author suddenly remembered he had to finish it by the end of the day or else. Still, a good read with neat science and cool aliens who I grew real fond of.

Compared to something like Children of Time or indeed Vinge (or even Dragon's Egg), I think Cambias' book is a bit too self-contained, though his Aliens are indeed hella cool.

Just this week I finished both CoT and Ken Macleod's Learning the World, and they made me come pretty close to being as awed as when first reading Deepness in the Sky. Both are a bit sprawly, and the endings might seem a bit pat in too harsh a light, but hey it's the new year and I'm feeling magnanimous, so...

A recommendation for both books if there's any people out there who want cool first contact space opera with 'hard' sci-fi trappings and charming aliens.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I started Lord Of Light by Roger Zelazny today. Looking forward to it, as I've heard nothing but praise.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

GODS NOT REAL posted:

The most creepy read ever for me was from revisiting Kafka shorts while riding a nasty flu, but that was mostly uh, because of it blending into fever hallucinations, ugh.

I had a similar experience with Ubik; the book that left me feeling truly unmoored was Sartre's Nausea, which I read (on recommendation by an ex) while spinning my wheels and recovering from injury in the isolation of a place I'd moved back to, after a long absence. The circular dialogue, the strangely compelling repetition, the weird rank sense of failure and confusion really bled over into me and I felt completely flayed afterwards; something I'd never really expected from reading a book.

So, if you're having any kind of existential struggles, you are nicely primed by Ubik and ready to go for Nausea!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I just finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and I really enjoyed it, I also read through a lot of stuff by Peter Watts this year. Any recommendations?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Last night I wrapped up (more like gave up) on The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. What an absolutely confusing, messy novel. I had such a difficult time keeping the plot in order outside of the broad details. Characters were vaguely defined at best along with unclear motivations. I never once felt like I had a solid grasp of what was going on.

Not to say that there wasn't anything positive. The idea of these millennia old guardships patrolling controlled space was very cool. Each ship had it's own personality. Space combat stuff was cool. That was really it.

If this book was indicative of Cook's style, I'll be sure to skip whatever else he's done. Very frustrating.

Stylistically, The Dragon Never Sleeps is very similar to his Dread Empire books. I enjoyed TDNS but probably wouldn't recommend it; I barely got through the first Dread Empire book and definitely wouldn't recommend it.

In contrast, the Black Company books are much more straightforward, as is Passage at Arms. I enjoyed those a lot more. The Starfishers and Darkwar trilogies are somewhere in between. And the Garrett, PI books are wildly different.

Based on which parts of Dragon you called out as disliking (or liking), you should probably check out Passage at Arms and avoid the poo poo out of the Dread Empire books.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Elderbean posted:

I just finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and I really enjoyed it, I also read through a lot of stuff by Peter Watts this year. Any recommendations?

Have you already read all the other Alastair Reynolds space opera books?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ToxicFrog posted:

Stylistically, The Dragon Never Sleeps is very similar to his Dread Empire books. I enjoyed TDNS but probably wouldn't recommend it; I barely got through the first Dread Empire book and definitely wouldn't recommend it.

In contrast, the Black Company books are much more straightforward, as is Passage at Arms. I enjoyed those a lot more. The Starfishers and Darkwar trilogies are somewhere in between. And the Garrett, PI books are wildly different.

Based on which parts of Dragon you called out as disliking (or liking), you should probably check out Passage at Arms and avoid the poo poo out of the Dread Empire books.

Cool. Appreciate the info.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I've been reading (and generally enjoying) The Expanse series, but there is one thing that absolutely drives me in-freaking-sane. The word 'companionable.' It pops up in the most needless places, the authors use waaaay too much, it's in every book, and at this point, every time I read it, it takes me right out of the story.

'...companionable silence...'
'...companionable sips of beer...'
'...throwing one companionable arm around Basia's shoulders...'
'... companionably on the head...'
'...Miller couldn't decide if it was companionable or awkward...'
'...in companionable good cheer...'

Argh.

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 7, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've always wanted to shamelessly overuse a phrase, then reveal it's a hypnotic trigger in plain sight. We could even put it on the jacket copy! "Would you kindly buy my book"

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Wet leopard growl

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
fnord

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
angel opportunity gave a start

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
But have you heard about chitinous good people?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It was the easiest thing in the world

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

"Squamous" is a post-hypnotic trigger that makes nerds overlook Lovecraft's frothing racism and third-rate prose and pretend his books are worth anything.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
enzyme-bonded concrete

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I've always wanted to shamelessly overuse a phrase, then reveal it's a hypnotic trigger in plain sight. We could even put it on the jacket copy! "Would you kindly buy my book"

You just need everyone to constantly talk about it. That's what got me to buy the book, nobody ever shutting up about it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Words are wind.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Words are wind.

We're just meat flapping its meat at other meat.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

savinhill posted:

Have you already read all the other Alastair Reynolds space opera books?

I'm working my way through House of Suns but I haven't looked at the others.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Chasm City and the Prefect are both really cool stand-alones also.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i go back and forth on chasm city, without getting too spoilery the protagonist really shouldn't be such a loving chump. I think that's a weakness of alastair reynolds simply not being great at writing ruthless, calculating, manipulative people.

The prefect is pretty good although considering that the glitter band is the height of human technological advancement ever, basically, it was kind of lolworthy that the space cops central data server was so weird and clunky.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 8, 2016

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

andrew smash posted:

i go back and forth on chasm city, without getting too spoilery the protagonist really shouldn't be such a loving chump. I think that's a weakness of alastair reynolds simply not being great at writing ruthless, calculating, manipulative people.

More like he can't write a decent ending.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm catching up on being out of the loop on modern fiction for the past ~4 years. After reading Traitor Baru recently I would easily recommend it as must read Fantasy. What other scifi/fantasy/horror novels would you say are must reads from the past few years

E: The Goblin Emperor and The Ocean At the End of the Lane were also two recent greats that I read.

goodness fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 8, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

goodness posted:

I'm catching up on being out of the loop on modern fiction for the past ~4 years. After reading Traitor Baru recently I would easily recommend it as must read Fantasy. What other scifi/fantasy/horror novels would you say are must reads from the past few years

Read the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy. It works as a standalone, though leaves many unanswered questions. I haven't read the sequels yet so I can't speak to their quality. It's all three of those genres, a short quick read, and very engrossing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

edit: oops

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

blue squares posted:

Read the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy. It works as a standalone, though leaves many unanswered questions. I haven't read the sequels yet so I can't speak to their quality. It's all three of those genres, a short quick read, and very engrossing.

I thought Annihilation was good and works well as a standalone. Authority was OK but I didn't somehow couldn't really get into it. The office intriguing is decent and the horror bits are fine, but I didn't find Control that compelling a protagonist and somehow it fell a bit flat for me. It picks up a fair bit towards the end when (minor plot spoiler) Control sets out after the Biologist though. How's the third one? I keep meaning to get around to it just for completeness but at the moment it's way down the reading list.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's good. Explains some things, raises some questions, gets some closure. It just feels like he'd write a fourth book at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I remember reading the Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice and I had to stop half-way because every other page seemed to have "preternatural" worked in somehow.