Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lol if you don't have an automatic rinse in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
Faraday Future finally unveiled what they've cooked up in their labs.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/04/faraday-future-unveils-the-ffzero1-concept-car-a-modular-vehicle-that-can-switch-out-parts/#.wena0qm:DoNz

Tron: the car

fnkels fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Well, my garage actually.
I feel dumb for not thinking about that.

quote:

Subaru also apparently did it for A and B pillar strength. It's hard to argue that when the GD Impreza caused EMTs to publish a writeup on how to do a proper roof removal since it was impossible for the jaws of life to cut the B pillar.
Makes more sense than I expected.

Throatwarbler posted:

On many cars you can hold down the unlock button on the remote and it will roll down the windows. I forget if Subarus did this.

A lot of (all?) 2 door BMWs and the 4 GC also have frameless windows that roll up and down when you open the door. People in the BMW thread seem to complain about it somewhat but those people complain about a lot of things.
My E46 (sedan, normal doors) has this and I always wondered why, I pretty much only ever used it to startle people getting in to cars near mine. Makes sense that it's basically a vestigial feature from the coupes/convertibles.

I guess they're less bad than I previously thought, but dealing with Ohio winters where windows often get stuck I still can't get behind the ones where the window actually has to come down for the door to operate properly. I used to have a Probe that just used an inner seal and that of course didn't have the same problem, but instead just didn't seal all that well at all.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 5, 2016

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Lol if you don't have an automatic rinse in the garage.

I'm imagining racing the garage door and jumping the sensor to get out, with failure being punished at a whole new level.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...why do they think we want to look at the dorky presenter more than the brand new future as gently caress racecar?!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

The FFZERO1 lists with some pretty odd features. The seating is said to be made for zero gravity situations (for some reason), and the car will channel oxygen and water through a helmet Faraday is developing.

Is this some tongue-in-cheek humor I'm just not picking up on, or what's going on here? :psyduck:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

Is this some tongue-in-cheek humor I'm just not picking up on, or what's going on here? :psyduck:

It's a concept car, which is the car equivalent of those ridiculous unwearable fur sack dresses with giant bows you see in fashion shows.

Lol is that something behind it or is that a giant glass fin?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

No idea, but I am very disappointed. It's just a an empty hype machine. Perhaps they've got some bits that could be put together in the shape of a useful car, but apparently they thought the market would be more impressed by a computer game fantasy or whatever. All the concept bits pertain to jack poo poo as far as practical electric vehicles are concerned. Is it supposed to be a "Tesla-killer" because it can go faster? Gee, well done building a race car that can go faster than a family sedan. How much shopping can it carry? I am guessing the only race it will be homologated for is the Investor Hoodwink 500. So sick of anime concept cars.

So something to calm me down will be the unveiling of hopefully something sensible, compact and well thought out - the Chevy Bolt - tomorrow.

My hopes:
- 30 kWh battery, or more.
- Fast DC charging, optional interface dependent on territory.
- Idiot executives were Learjetted 1000+ miles away from designers during the critical phases so the car isn't filled with stupid hype gadgets.

Is it really too much to ask?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

It's a concept car, which is the car equivalent of those ridiculous unwearable fur sack dresses with giant bows you see in fashion shows.

I mean the chair is like, ok, making things like rockets is a Cool Car Thing, sure, it's just a chair, but the oxygen/water helmet honestly makes more sense as something Lady Gaga would wear while assuming an incognito identity at a fashion show than as a car feature :v:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

I mean the chair is like, ok, making things like rockets is a Cool Car Thing, sure, it's just a chair, but the oxygen/water helmet honestly makes more sense as something Lady Gaga would wear while assuming an incognito identity at a fashion show than as a car feature :v:

It's another spaceship feature, just l8 ke the seats

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wolrah posted:

I feel dumb for not thinking about that.

Makes more sense than I expected.

My E46 (sedan, normal doors) has this and I always wondered why, I pretty much only ever used it to startle people getting in to cars near mine. Makes sense that it's basically a vestigial feature from the coupes/convertibles.

If your car has been left in the sun all day you can roll down all the windows 50 ft before you reach it and by the time you get there a lot of the hot air and superheated organic compounds off-gassing from the interior plastics will have been let out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

Giant glass fin acting as a 3rd brakelight. I actually like that bit :3:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

88h88 posted:

Giant glass fin acting as a 3rd brakelight. I actually like that bit :3:

SUPER * SOFT

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool concept by VW which I think some will love and some will hate.

92,4 kWh! I would love to see that make production, but that means 50+ is safe, which is fantastic. The box shape might be unsightly, but when there's no ICE to package it's a good thing that car makers are trying new shapes. Needs a bit of crumple zone though.

However, the hype gadgetry is plumbing new depths of stupid.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/05/volkswagen-gave-an-apology-sandwich-with-the-reveal-of-its-budd-e-concept-car-in-between/

quote:

The Budd-e will let you know if a visitor is at the front of your house, what’s in your fridge and “make sure your robot cleaner is ready” before you get home, according to one LG exec who came onstage during the presentation.

Budd-e also seems to be adherent to “the force.” The handleless car doors will automatically open at the command of your voice. Diess demonstrated this onstage as the driver inside said politely, “Hello Budd-e, please open the passenger door.”

:what:

e: hehe

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 6, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I had a concept car book which had something that looked kinda like that in it in 2001!

Is that A pillar for real though??

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 6, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ola posted:

Cool concept by VW which I think some will love and some will hate.

92,4 kWh! I would love to see that make production, but that means 50+ is safe, which is fantastic. The box shape might be unsightly, but when there's no ICE to package it's a good thing that car makers are trying new shapes. Needs a bit of crumple zone though.

I don't know if "box" is really a new shape.

88h88 posted:

I had a concept car book which had something that looked kinda like that in it in 2001!

Is that A pillar for real though??

Finally A pillars and C pillars are equal in width again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's a new shape for electric cars, following the same layout as Tesla but leaving out a hood. The car is supposed to be a nod to the VW camper can and it obviously did not have a hood either.

e: I meant "camper van", not "camper can" although it still makes sense

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This was the 2001 Camper concept floated about. I think it was made as an actual toy for Barbie in the end.

*fakedit: it wassssss

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

quote:

Budd-e also seems to be adherent to “the force.” The handleless car doors will automatically open at the command of your voice. Diess demonstrated this onstage as the driver inside said politely, “Hello Budd-e, please open the passenger door.”
I can picture the scenes of this failing already, people desperately begging their cars to let them in.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

I can picture the scenes of this failing already, people desperately begging their cars to let them in.

Open the god drat doors, Hans!

Ich bin afraid ich kann nicht do zat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ola posted:

The box shape might be unsightly, but when there's no ICE to package it's a good thing that car makers are trying new shapes.

It's an eco VW, that means it's almost certain to have a hidden ICE that runs on coal with a hologram of an electric motor and battery pack hiding it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chevy Bolt launch stream now live on FB: https://www.facebook.com/chevrolet/

Square aspect ratio, low resolution and some gain setting is set way too high as the sound is loud and distorted. :waycool:

e: it looks good! And Chevroley continues the tech trend of saying "we're first" about something they're not first to do. (an app to preheat etc)

e2: lot's of tech hype, but I didn't catch any specifics about range or battery size. But I was parallel watching Making a Murderer.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mini test drive with video from Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/06/2017-chevy-bolt-prototype-quick-spin-review-video/

I like it! Still no hard numbers on the battery, that's still to come I suppose. No stupid doors, I like the bright colors of the screen although I really hope there is a night mode on there. I say GM is on to a winner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm inclined to agree. It's not like it needs to be some revelation in driving dynamics - look at the Prius. It needs to be comfortable, not fall apart, and not have any Leaf-style range degradation. 200 miles on a single charge should be plenty, even after HVAC / high speed losses.

I don't know that I'd want to replace my CR-V with one yet, but it is intriguing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the most interesting feature of the Bolt is the giant rear opening.

Weird how putting the rear lights on the hatch itself really opens up the rear opening. It's just something you don't think about.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, the Bolt is actually way more compelling than I was expecting, though we'll see how many of the features actually make it in at that base price (I've got a feeling that the "why don't all cars have this" rearview camera will be of the first to go). Also, won't having three screens impact range significantly?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rearview cameras are mandatory now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Screens are a tiny power draw compared to moving a ton of metal through space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Screens are a tiny power draw compared to moving a ton of metal through space.

Or climate control.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do keep the stereo down, for the Earth.

(Climate control can be a real drain. How long do you think you can run a space heater on an iPad-sized battery, versus the screen on a tablet?)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The "gamification" thing was interesting. I see people on the Tesla forums share their driving techniques and climate settings all the time, perhaps it won't be quite the same when it's built in to the system but it's nonetheless very interesting to see how much of the power draw was climate and how much was propulsion, so you can tweak it and watch your stats improve. (or wear a sweater and remember to preheat)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jesus Christ Chevrolet, how did "Bolt" make it through your marketing department?

:smugjones:

Seriously though, Tesla has its work cut out for it if this car does what Chevrolet says it's going to do.

(Lol who am I kidding this thing could cure cancer and AIDS and they'd still have to put cash rebates on the hood to sell them.)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
How's the charging on the Bolt? Is it still tied to those rare-as-hell public EV stations?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Logikv9 posted:

How's the charging on the Bolt? Is it still tied to those rare-as-hell public EV stations?

I can't find specs, but the Chevy site says a full charge in 9 hours (~25 miles range per hour of charge) on 240VAC, which leads me to believe that its using Volt-derived hardware, and probably still maxes out at 240VAC@20A. 240VAC chargers are down to like $350 at this point, so it's not as much of a hurdle as it used to be. As for public charging, with 200mi of range, you probably don't HAVE to charge away from home very often. I'd imagine that 200mi covers the round trip for 95%+ of trips for most people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

They didn't mention which specific quick charging interface it would have, but I am guessing it will be CCS since GM is involved in that. How many stations get put up in your area is not dependent on the specific interface though, but I will say that abundant quick DC chargers is more important than high kWh battery when it comes to long range EVs.

There are several companies setting up charging stations as businesses instead of free public over here, which is clearly the right way to go. Due to some weird legal stuff they are not allowed to meter the electricity so you buy a fixed price subscription, tap your RFID dongle on the charger and have at it. The chargers usually have three interfaces (Chademo, CCS and Type 2 AC), but only one can be used at a time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I'm reading this graphic correctly...

The car has used 24% total battery capacity for driving, 4% for climate and the rest of the gray area is unused capacity. If 28% is 18.1 kWh, then 100% is just under 65 kWh. That's great!

e: from here http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Starting at $37,500 before tax credits is still too much for many people, myself included, for decades to come probably. I hope the price comes down in a few years time, but there's very little chance that the price will come down considerably to make it affordable. Still a pipe dream, born too soon. :(

I'll probably have to snap up used ICEs on Craigslist until I'm old and grey.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 7, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Michael Scott posted:

Starting at $37,500 before tax credits is still too much for many people, myself included, for decades to come probably. I hope the price comes down in a few years time, but there's very little chance that the price will come down considerably to make it affordable. Still a pipe dream, born too soon. :(

Average new car price is $33K in the US, so I think it's probably in a good price place.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

This is only third long range EV brought to market and already the price is slashed in two. Tesla Model 3 is being launched in March, Leaf 30 kWh is in the shops (or soon?) and VW is just getting started. The pace is starting to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Michael Scott posted:

You've seen the hellacious depreciation on leafs and mievs right?

• Locked thread