Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

feedmegin posted:

Well, sort of. Britain didn't recognise that people could give up British nationality at the time, so someone born in Britain (note: including Ireland, at the time) was considered British and liable for impressment even if they'd emigrated to America. If you were born in America/didn't have a British or Irish accent you weren't getting press ganged.

The Royal Navy tended to play fast and loose with that rule and just pressed anyone they could, really. The US Navy did so too during the Revolutionary War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I remember reading some incredible descriptions of artillery duels in GW1. The Iraqis were using tried and true ranging fire, while Coalition forces would use radar to track the incoming shells and figure out where they came from. Frequently the counter-barrage would be in the air before the Iraqi ranging fire landed and would generally be on target from the get go.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gully Foyle posted:

Have to ask because Google is no help, what is a DEP or SEP?

Google didn't help because I got my acronym wrong, it's DEF/SEP.

Basically in the last months of WW2 so many Reich soldiers were surrendering to the Western armies that there wasn't a way to properly feed or shelter them, so we had to not properly feed or shelter them, and many of them died. However, we were the good guys and signatories of the Geneva Convention so we made up a new category of prisoner so the whole thing was nice and legal and not a nasty-wasty war crime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disarmed_Enemy_Forces

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

JcDent posted:

S-Tanks? They're made to shoot at Soviet tanks from prepared positions and then run away (even had a second, rearward driving position). They're beatiful and I love them.

NOOOOOO

even before TheFluff gets here to beat you around the ears with stuff like ~documented evidence~, we're treading familiar ground here: the fact that the S-Tank had no appreciably different tasking than tanks in other Swedish armored units has been oft-repeated in this very thread!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
If I picked a tank in WW2 to be in, it would probably be any of those tanks that had supplies for making tea.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Early war, Churchill Mark I to 3. After that Cromwell all the way baby yeah.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Pick the Covenanter, never leave England.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm pretty tall, so I'm going to have to go with an M6 heavy.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
If I had to pick combat tanks, Jagdtiger for axis. That means I survived into 1945. Shoot a sherman from a mile away, have the gearbox blow out, then run away.

Allies? Probably a Hellcat. Little buggers were fast and lethal. Open top though, but sure as hell not picking any of the other deathtraps.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was thinking along the same lines, except the Tortoise.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Yeah, until you back Charles II at the Treaty of Breda and get crushed at Worcester, which... Oh, wait, still tank chat, carry on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Did I find out that I'd screwed up Robert Palmer's dates by a day , an hour *after* my internet connection went down! Yes!

100 Years Ago

Here is a fixed link from the future. What jolly good fun and larks!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 8, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
But leaving the UK is the best part about going to war!

Trin Tragula posted:

Did I find out that I'd screwed up Robert Palmer's dates by a day , an hour *after* my internet connection went down! Yes!

Phneposting. No comedy intro para. Gallipoli. Tankchat , with Mother. Iraq. Smith-Dorrien. Go, read, enjoy.
https://makersley.com/cape-helles-mother-8-jan-1916/

Just have a picture of Captain Blackadder looking depressed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SeanBeansShako posted:

But leaving the UK is the best part about going to war!

Yeah no British man wants to stay at home and get owned by off-duty American servicemen with tons of money in every facet of their day-to-day life.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I'll probably choose this

or this

(or a Swedish tank)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Yeah, until you back Charles II at the Treaty of Breda and get crushed at Worcester, which... Oh, wait, still tank chat, carry on.
tfw you realize all your reenacting friends are protestant

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Did someone ask for a First Crusade effortpost while I was tragically unable to poo poo up this thread? I can write a First Crusade effortpost, complete with gratuitous Charlton Heston.

I can provide commentary on this but couldn't (and can't) be arsed to do the whole post.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cyrano4747 posted:

I remember reading some incredible descriptions of artillery duels in GW1. The Iraqis were using tried and true ranging fire, while Coalition forces would use radar to track the incoming shells and figure out where they came from. Frequently the counter-barrage would be in the air before the Iraqi ranging fire landed and would generally be on target from the get go.

I also remembering sometimes the Iraqi's would just shell empty desert and the Coalition forces just let them waste ammo, while flanking around them and capturing them at times.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Until today I though my region got through the 80 / 30 years war more or less ok. Turns ou that isn't quite true.

After the peace in 1648 some now unemployed mercanaries from Lorraine stuck around. They continued to loot, so the people formed a militia to fight them off. The militia confronted the mercanaries on st Nicholas' day and proceeded to die horribly.

quote:

All [...] were shot, cleaved and pitiably and horribly deformed.

Oh and people apparently built a monument to commemorate the fallen.. in 1975.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that makes sense, lorraine was utterly hosed in the 40s, if that's where those people had been working they probably couldn't survive there over the long term and headed northwest

edit: it was one of those areas where the peasants had started plowing with muskets slung over their shoulders

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 7, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

bewbies posted:

Shoot and scoot, all day every day. Why do you think it isn't cost efficient in modern times?

Well, how quickly can you tow them away before shells start falling? I assume SP artillery is much better at running away! Unless I totally misunderstand timeframes involved.

Koesj posted:

NOOOOOO

even before TheFluff gets here to beat you around the ears with stuff like ~documented evidence~, we're treading familiar ground here: the fact that the S-Tank had no appreciably different tasking than tanks in other Swedish armored units has been oft-repeated in this very thread!

Maybe he'll finally beat that stupid out of me (there's plenty of other stupid left).

EDIT: o hey, on DEF/SEP, a quote from wiki:

Niall Ferguson wrote that Bacque's "calculations grossly exaggerate both the number of Germans the Americans captured and their mortality"

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Molentik posted:

I'll probably choose this

or this

(or a Swedish tank)

You can't choose a WH40k tank.

Actually I want to change my vote to the Maus.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libluini posted:

This talk about grandfathers makes me a bit jealous. My grandfather on my mother's side was just a normal business man and he was a child during WWII. Then there's the grandfather of my mom's ex, he was a soldier in the Wehrmacht and got captured by the Russians. After the war, he basically walked out of his POW-camp one day and just walked back home. Getting home as a German through Eastern Europe was astonishingly easy and straightforward for him, then again he never talked much about it. He died long before my birth, so all I have is third-rate accounts anyway.

I think there's even a German movie made about someone who did the same thing, just from Siberia and with a lot more interesting stuff happening to him. (Of course, since it's a movie it's probably embellished.)

My grandfather fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. Could never get him to say a drat word about it :(.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Well, how quickly can you tow them away before shells start falling? I assume SP artillery is much better at running away! Unless I totally misunderstand timeframes involved.

Towed and SP guns are actually pretty similar in displacement times nowadays. A well trained crew can displace a 777 or 119 in about two minutes, and batteries/battalions can disperse gun pairs over pretty wide areas to avoid having to move the FDC/headquarters.

That being said there is a lot of concern that even that timeline is insufficient in some cases which is why everyone has such a hardon for "proactive counterfire".

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Some guy(s) came into my /hwg/ and are going HITLER DIDN'T WANT TO KILL SLAVS.

To wit:

NonNaziBro posted:

Hitler didn't care about slavs actually. There were some elements within the nsdap who did, but those were the minority. Huge parts of the eastern german (eastern and western prussia) population were at least partly slavs. There was even an ss general with slavic roots.

Lebensraum as described in "Mein Kampf" meant basically to get back what was "stolen" after WW1. Again, some hardliners within the nazi party saw this different and wanted to expand even further.

BavarianAntiFa1488 posted:

>who conspired to slaughter thousands of Slavs

did he "conspire" to slaughter them because they were slavs? Or because they were simply enemies in the war?
There is a difference here. Or would you say Rommel conspired to slaughter thousands of anglo-saxons because he fought against the 8th army in africa?

Besides your flawed logic there, if there was a general (can we agree that this is a fairly high rank at least?) we have to assume that there were at least some other lower ranking slavs too. Apparently the SS (i.e. Himmler, a guy who loved to micromanage things) had no problem with a slav being general.

How about you deliver some proof that "the Nazis" (they all were identical in their thinking apparently) were anti-slavic. Maybe a page from mein kampf?

PeaceJungen posted:

>>Nazis invade the Soviet Union

Again, did they invade because of "kill all slavs" or maybe because of territorial or political reasons?
You are painting a pretty simple picture here mate.

'AhTheseNamesAren'tFunnyAnyways posted:

Hitler wanted to dominate Russia. It wasn't as much about the actual people as dominating the production. With the production of Russia, he would have a sure foothold in the world. Of course he looked down on people that weren't aryan, but I doubt he would be turning down any Ukrainian beauties who happened to be courtesans in Berlin.

How much of the specific death orders and orders for mass executions came directly from Hitler, I'm not sure, but the majority of the killing was done by the logistics guys. The people killed were more of a nuisance, they didn't fit the Nazi idea of norm so they sent them away and used them for forced labor. Once you have people in camps under guard any minor order can be blown out of proportion by the local garrison and turned into a mass execution. Its more than just Hitler, but the entire ideas of europe at that time. We need only look at slavery in america to see similar world views, and while that was some time before hitler, those kind of feelings are inherent in most humans, until educated on the specific race.
There were nazi Narties in america, all over the place, it was only a political movement. The Third Reich became something entirely different (although would end up defining nazism): A bureaucracy-led disaster in a whirlwind of prejudice and nationalist ferver.

Hitler was a man of strategy and domination, I dont believe so much he just wanted to blindly murder everyone. If he could have all the jews and slavs working for him building tanks and aircraft, I think he would be happy. The liquidation of ghettos and camps seemed more of a logistical solution to freeing up resources. Unfortunate for those killed, but not really Hitlers personal total goal.

And so on...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
When people go out of their way to paint hitler in the best possible light. Good grief.

He was absolutely down with killing undesirables.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

that makes sense, lorraine was utterly hosed in the 40s, if that's where those people had been working they probably couldn't survive there over the long term and headed northwest

edit: it was one of those areas where the peasants had started plowing with muskets slung over their shoulders

Yeah, we'd managed to remain neutral for the last 80 years I think. So, probably a lot more pleasant to hang out than a place like lorraine.

Pretty silly to stay unharmed for 80 years then get brutally owned right after the war ends. Maybe we should have had some kind of armed force instead of none.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

Some guy(s) came into my /hwg/

your what?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Some guy(s) came into my /hwg/ and are going HITLER DIDN'T WANT TO KILL SLAVS.

To wit:

And so on...

Link these idiots to Generalplan Ost and see how they weasel out of that one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Link these idiots to Generalplan Ost and see how they weasel out of that one.

Somehow I can already foresee their comeback:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh Jesus no

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Why even bother about this poo poo? It's not like you'll ever convince these degenerates.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Press why the Nazis never bothered to prop up Slavic fascists/monarchists/nationalists against the Soviets? (Although they might bring up Ustashe)

E: Oh wait the Croatian Ustase claimed to be Germanic

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 7, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Why even bother about this poo poo? It's not like you'll ever convince these degenerates.

It's not about the degenerates, it's about the otherwise uneducated people that will see that post and think "huh, what do you know" and perpetuate this garbage. This is how you end up with "facts" that everyone knows but nobody has ever seen a citation for, at least until the "fact" makes its way into some lovely book that the degenerates will then start gleefully pointing to.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Belgian posted:

Yeah, we'd managed to remain neutral for the last 80 years I think.
you were neutral? i thought present day belgium is what it is in part because you liked spain / were reconquered by Farnese. or do you mean that there was no fighting in the spanish netherlands

edit: if you think what they say about hitler is funny, look at what they said about himmler

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

It's not about the degenerates, it's about the otherwise uneducated people that will see that post and think "huh, what do you know" and perpetuate this garbage. This is how you end up with "facts" that everyone knows but nobody has ever seen a citation for, at least until the "fact" makes its way into some lovely book that the degenerates will then start gleefully pointing to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ring%27s_Green_Folder

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

it happens for everything that racists can get their hands on, look at all the refugees roaming germany in huge gangs committing crimes. the police reports that say refugees commit less crimes than everyone else in germany are only evidence of the cover-up.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's going to be interesting in the next few decades if stuff like Wikipedia starts becoming even more accepted as "basically fact".

i.e. like six years ago some friends of mine got really high and watched a documentary on the Liberian Civil War, after which they edited the Wikipedia page of the leader of one of the rebel groups jokingly putting themselves in as his long lost neglected children.

The page has been edited like a dozen times since then and nobody has questioned why a Liberian general apparently has a Korean son. Things around it have been edited, but the paragraph clearly inserted by a bunch of stoned undergrads is on it's way to becoming accepted fact.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Well it was Soviet evidence, obviously it's fake :downs:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's going to be interesting in the next few decades if stuff like Wikipedia starts becoming even more accepted as "basically fact".

i.e. like six years ago some friends of mine got really high and watched a documentary on the Liberian Civil War, after which they edited the Wikipedia page of the leader of one of the rebel groups jokingly putting themselves in as his long lost neglected children.

The page has been edited like a dozen times since then and nobody has questioned why a Liberian general apparently has a Korean son. Things around it have been edited, but the paragraph clearly inserted by a bunch of stoned undergrads is on it's way to becoming accepted fact.

RIP M103 Longstreet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

RIP M103 Longstreet.
never let that die

• Locked thread