Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jeza posted:

Cardiff isn't surrounded by protected greenbelt land, land is also much cheaper, and there's a hundred other complicating factors involved in preventing London urban sprawl.

And while I'll admit Welsh politics isn't something I know much about, my general understanding is that the Welsh Assembly is much more amenable to the continued existence of Council Housing in general than Westminster is with the "Screw Localism Let's gently caress Local Authority Housing And Planning" Bill, and soforth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I have literally no idea :iiam:

By the way I enjoyed your songs, thank you for sharing them! One small request, please use a metronome/click-track so that making 'hilarious' wubwub remixes isn't such a pain in the hole.

No but seriously, they were good.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with them! Next thing to try when I'm back next week is recording the guitar and voice tracks separately, then sticking them together on audacity. I'm not using a metronome.

Also, what?

quote:

making 'hilarious' wubwub remixes

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jedit posted:

I don't know. One part upper class entitlement, one part cocaine - next thing you know you're standing up telling the entire room how you'd fix the economy if you were in charge. In Osborne's case the room just happens to be the Commons chamber.

It's a crying shame he's not Chancellor of the Exchequer or some other position that would let him fix things, isn't it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Also, what?
Scottish Folkstep.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dead Goon posted:

The look of pure unadulterated hatred on Orban's face makes my heart skip a beat!
Unfortunately, that is the look he bears all the time and so I'm not sure you can infer much about his attitude to Cameron from it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also you have to do a cover of I'm Gonna Be, just for shits and giggles.

Your Scottish civic pride is on the line.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Guavanaut posted:

Scottish Folkstep.

Redstep/Coohoostep

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
So, I've not posted in the UKMT in literally years, but I thought I'd barge in and let people know that the North West Infidels, South-East Alliance and a bunch of other literal Neo-Nazis will be descending on Dover again on the 30th of January. There's a few facebook events or whatever set up, and several groups are putting on transport (I'm hoping to travel down with Manchester Antifa). Just putting the word out in case some goons fancy joining us in opposing actual fascists, but if not then Happy New Year and all that jazz, sorry to trouble you!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yodelstep

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

As an expert there are drains on the platforms where if you find a quiet spot and lean against the wall you can have a sneaky piss without any problems, good luck goon

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

quote:

A woman who suffered from a debilitating lung condition was sent a letter informing her she no longer qualified for sickness benefits on the day she died.

Dawn Amos, 67, from Essex, died in November after suffering chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which left her struggling to breathe.

Her illness left her unable to walk far or do daily tasks independently. She had received attendance allowance from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to help with the cost of her personal care.

The DWP reviewed her claim based on her treatment, medication, test results and symptoms, and wrote to inform her that she was not ill enough to receive the weekly benefit, which amounted to £55.10 or £82.30 depending on how often care was needed in a 24-hour period.

The DWP said the decision had been made using the information from her claim form and from her doctor about six months earlier. The letter said: “I consider this information to be the most suitable available and enough to decide how much help you need.”

The DWP wrote its letter on the day Amos’s husband agreed that doctors should turn off her life support machine at Broomfield hospital in Chelmsford.

Mick Amos, 64, a self-employed window cleaner, said of the letter: “It’s disgusting and heartbreaking. We had to turn her machine off.”

“How ill do you have to be? Our garden is 40 or 50ft and she couldn’t walk down it without having to sit down at the bottom,” he said. “On the day she died I came downstairs and she couldn’t breathe properly so I phoned the ambulance, who said if she gets worse call us back.

“As soon as I got off the phone she collapsed and I was on the phone again,” he said. “She had stopped breathing and I was doing CPR while I was on the phone to the ambulance.”

He discovered the DWP’s letter two days after his wife’s death. Sent on the day she died, it notified her that her allowance was being withdrawn based on “treatment, medication, symptoms and test results”.

Dawn Amos’s daughter, Karina Mann, said her mother had received attendance allowance for six months before the DWP asked to reassess her. “Obviously she was ill enough for the benefit because we had to watch her die,” she said.

“Mum couldn’t get up the stairs, had problems breathing and it took three hours for her to get ready,” she said. “I used to see her every day because she needed help. She could not leave the house.”

Caroline Abrahams, charity director for Age UK said about the significance of the benefit: “Attendance allowance is a hugely important benefit which helps older people to meet the extra costs associated with living with disability. It can improve older people’s quality of life and provide that extra bit of support which may help prevent, or delay the need for more formal care.”

A spokesperson for the DWP said: “Our thoughts are with the family of Mrs Amos. The decision was based on evidence which included the opinion of Mrs Amos’ own GP.”

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/07/dwp-told-dawn-amos-not-ill-enough-for-benefit-day-she-died?CMP=twt_gu

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, this.

e: ^^^
Well, gently caress everything. Do they expect the dead to work now?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Thanks, I'm really pleased with them! Next thing to try when I'm back next week is recording the guitar and voice tracks separately, then sticking them together on audacity. I'm not using a metronome.

Also, what?

I look forward to hearing them!

The metronome thing was in jest, I'd never dream of telling someone how to make their own music.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Coohoolin posted:

Also, what?

please consider a rendition "which side are you on" or "the ghost of tom joad" (morello/springsteen version) thankyou for your consideration and good luck in your future endeavours

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

should have highlighted DWP trying to blame the GP at the very end

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ForeverBWFC posted:

So, I've not posted in the UKMT in literally years, but I thought I'd barge in and let people know that the North West Infidels, South-East Alliance and a bunch of other literal Neo-Nazis will be descending on Dover again on the 30th of January. There's a few facebook events or whatever set up, and several groups are putting on transport (I'm hoping to travel down with Manchester Antifa). Just putting the word out in case some goons fancy joining us in opposing actual fascists, but if not then Happy New Year and all that jazz, sorry to trouble you!
I've got a CPB branch meeting on Sunday where I'm raising the idea of our local lot going down. Either with transport arranged by the party, or with us just getting to Brighton, where I believe an arse-load of coaches are being made available for all-comers at £10 a head or something like that.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^^
Well, gently caress everything. Do they expect the dead to work now?

If we can work til we're dead, surely we can work beyond

DesperateDan posted:

please consider a rendition "which side are you on" or "the ghost of tom joad" (morello/springsteen version) thankyou for your consideration and good luck in your future endeavours

Yeah this.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

A matching set of bastards posted:

“Our thoughts are with the family of Mrs Amos. The decision was based on evidence which included the opinion of Mrs Amos’ own GP.”
"We're sorry she's dead but we weren't wrong about the workshy fucker."

edit:

Jose posted:

should have highlighted DWP trying to blame the GP at the very end
You're giving them far more credit than I'm willing to :v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ddraig posted:

Also you have to do a cover of I'm Gonna Be, just for shits and giggles.

Your Scottish civic pride is on the line.

I think Gaughan about covers my civic pride.

DesperateDan posted:

Ace suggestions, cheers!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

If we can work til we're dead, surely we can work beyond
Duncanstein, or the Modern Paragordius.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think corbyn has been speaking to all the local press today - he said that chess thing to a york paper and he had an article in the birmingham mail about the cuts to the council as well

Maybe he's trying to get the local press on side, he's mentioned wanting to boost them when he talks about the media - and they seem more likely to report him without spin

E: ah it seems he hosted a regional press lunch

vv also wtf

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 7, 2016

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So the BBC, in its chase for a political scoop, convinced one of the Labour shadow ministers to resign live on air 5 minutes before PMQs started, ensuring that it would cause the maximum amount of damage:

The BBC admits it co-ordinated in advance the on-air resignation of Stephen Doughty posted:

Yesterday, three Labour front-benchers resigned in protest at Jeremy Corbyn’s minor reshuffle. One of them – the previously unheard of Stephen Doughty – did so live on the Daily Politics just 5 minutes before the start of Prime Minister’s Questions, giving David Cameron the opportunity to bring it up in the chamber.

Today, the ‘output editor’ for the Daily Politics, wrote a – now taken down – blog on the BBC website’s ‘Academy’ section*, explaining how it all came about. You can read a cached version of the blog here.

Apparently, the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg set it all up. From the blog post:

quote:

Just before 9am we learned from Laura Kuenssberg, who comes on the programme every Wednesday ahead of PMQs, that she was speaking to one junior shadow minister who was considering resigning. I wonder, mused our presenter Andrew Neil, if they would consider doing it live on the show?

The question was put to Laura, who thought it was a great idea. Considering it a long shot we carried on the usual work of building the show, and continued speaking to Labour MPs who were confirming reports of a string of shadow ministers considering their positions.

Within the hour we heard that Laura had sealed the deal: the shadow foreign minister Stephen Doughty would resign live in the studio.

Although he himself would probably acknowledge he isn’t a household name, we knew his resignation just before PMQs would be a dramatic moment with big political impact.
We took the presenters aside to brief them on the interview while our colleagues on the news desk arranged for a camera crew to film him and Laura arriving in the studio for the TV news packages.
I think this this is quite interesting because, while it could be argued that a live on air resignation is a great coup, I’m not sure it’s the job of the BBC’s political editor to actively assist disgruntled shadow cabinet members attempt to inflict maximum damage upon their party leader. I imagine if she had assisted a junior government minister do the same, there’d be a fearful row about BBC impartiality. What do you think?

the cached version of the BBC blog is: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=uk

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 7, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
andrew neil is a massive prick

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what the gently caress.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

But remember, corbyn just needs to start playing the game! Everything will be cool!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Isn't our free press marvelous. :allears:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Lemondrizzle you absolute berk, any more comments on the malice of the press being imaginary?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the game where he seizes control of the means of mass communication?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The game he ought to be playing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Tell me why I should care about the BBC when they are willing to cut themselves open for Tories?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Far Cry 4 iirc

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Is there a handy link for complaining to the BBC? Not that I expect anything will actually be done, but I'd like to see their response and attempt at justification.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If this were a wildlife documentary it'd be White Wilderness.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What a load of wankers.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is there a handy link for complaining to the BBC? Not that I expect anything will actually be done, but I'd like to see their response and attempt at justification.

I'm gonna skip that and just cancel the TV licence, other than nature documentaries and screenwipe I don't think I have bothered watching it for years anyway.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/contact_us/making_a_complaint.html

But maybe http://www.ofcom.org.uk/ would be good? The BBC trust is probably cowering from the tories after the monstering they got over the last few years - which might go some way towards explaining their craven subservience to government lately.

e: ofcom specifically refers complaints about bias by the BBC to the BBC trust so lol at the idea of anything being done, but it can't hurt to try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 7, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Extreme0 posted:

Tell me why I should care about the BBC when they are willing to cut themselves open for Tories?

because most of the people that watch it believe it's impartial, and not actively sabotaging the opposition party for hot scoops

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Spangly A posted:

because most of the people that watch it believe it's impartial, and not actively sabotaging the opposition party for hot scoops

And it's doing a wonderful job so far it seems.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Someone better get fired for this poo poo. The BBC should not be picking sides when it comes to politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If this gains any traction then I expect 101 "Why shouldn't the BBC have done it, it's good journalism" hot takes while ignoring the massive breach in journalistic ethics.

• Locked thread