Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Everything about this marketing video for Frontier Airlines new seats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2QOhKnW54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Everything about this marketing video for Frontier Airlines new seats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2QOhKnW54

I don't see whats so baaaaaaaaaaaa-- :stonk:

Oh god.

E: Awesome, smaller tray tables and no TVs! Exactly what I wanted from my airline.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Jan 7, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, the furry costumes were weird, but trying to tell me I don't need a decent sized tray table is the fastest way to get me to go to another airline. I like laying my head down during flight too much to bother with whatever nonexistent savings I'm getting with them.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Frontier: we look to Ryanair for inspiration.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
We got rid of those old crummy TV screens and replaced them with nothing. You're welcome.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Frontier's thing is that the livery on their planes all have different animals painted on. Of course not knowing that makes one wonder wtf these furries are doing in the video. It doesn't help that they never even show the exterior of the planes for the viewer to get the connection.

And of course Frontier loving sucks. I got scheduled on a flight with them to Denver for an interview and the entire experience was janky and uncomfortable, and I'm a very low maintenance traveler.

We reduced our seat size even further to cram more of you in the sausage like never before!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So, those chairs save 214 gallons per seat per year. Assuming each pane makes barely more than a single paid flight per day, that's around .5 gallons per ticket. Avgas (for a prop pane) costs about $4.50 per gallon non-bulk at a regional airport, and Jet A (for jets, obviously) costs about $3.50 per gallon.

So, I hope that saving (the company) at most $2 on your ticket is worth a non-reclining seat, a nearly non-existent table, no food service, less padding, and most likely more rows which means packed in even more like sardines

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sentient Data posted:

So, those chairs save 214 gallons per seat per year.

Man I can't even imagine how much fuel a plane burns in a year total then, Jesus. That's a lot of fuel.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Saw this marketing video through Upworthy in an article about cool new gadgets and they did note that they thought this was a terrible idea for marketing. It's basically a guy using an instant translator to street-harass Japanese women. It's truly cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ngM0LHxuU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I guess it's important to know your target market, really.

http://www.someecards.com/life/tech/wearable-translator-kiss-commercial/

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

This website hijacks your browser after you scroll requiring you to like them on Facebook to continue reading.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

This website hijacks your browser after you scroll requiring you to like them on Facebook to continue reading.

Sorry. I've got ad blockers installed.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Sorry. I've got ad blockers installed.

I have them installed too but it managed to slip through still. Oh well, another example of obnoxious Internet advertising strategy!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

I have them installed too but it managed to slip through still. Oh well, another example of obnoxious Internet advertising strategy!

Here's the youtube of their promotional video to make up for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ngM0LHxuU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

0toShifty posted:

Frontier: we look to Ryanair for inspiration.

Nah they're Eurowings, Spirit is RyanAir.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Here's the youtube of their promotional video to make up for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ngM0LHxuU

It's like they totally misread those rapey mra videos of creeps forcing themselves on women. Like, the product was pretty neat but man that ad is really bad

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Literally 5 posts above yours.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

TontoCorazon posted:

It's like they totally misread those rapey mra videos of creeps forcing themselves on women. Like, the product was pretty neat but man that ad is really bad

I think people are exaggerating by comparing it to the MRA videos, but it's clearly inappropriate. It is pretty rude to do poo poo like that. I'm sure a big chunk is staged, but the message is still pretty negative.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

I think people are exaggerating by comparing it to the MRA videos, but it's clearly inappropriate. It is pretty rude to do poo poo like that. I'm sure a big chunk is staged, but the message is still pretty negative.

And the ones you see in the video are the ones they chose to show. I can't imagine how many negative reactions he got that didn't make the ad reel.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The bit where he chases down a woman running full-speed away from him was cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Saw this marketing video through Upworthy in an article about cool new gadgets and they did note that they thought this was a terrible idea for marketing. It's basically a guy using an instant translator to street-harass Japanese women. It's truly cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ngM0LHxuU

Whats so sad about this is how unnecessary it is. Its a freakin' auto-translating device, that's really nifty. Just show it works and it'll sell itself!

Or maybe go for like a cheesy sci-fi theme (off-brand star trek) or something. Anything but... this :stare:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Fallen Rib

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The bit where he chases down a woman running full-speed away from him was cool.

I thought that part was hilarious and sad at the same time. Who would pick someone like that for your spokesperson. He is literally chasing a woman trying to get away from him and they decided to include that in the commercial about how awesome their product is.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I know this is an old tactic, but this horseshit is really starting to get on my nerves.

I think another one that really pissed me off was the last time I was buying an airline ticket, I didn't want to buy flight insurance. To do so meant I had to check a box that said something like, "No thanks, I want to be responsible for the costs if and when something goes wrong".

Sorry I don't want to sign up for your lovely spam, Esquire, but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Jan 9, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Depressio111117 posted:

I know this is an old tactic, but this horseshit is really starting to get on my nerves.

I think another one that really pissed me off was the last time I was buying an airline ticket, I didn't want to buy flight insurance. To do so meant I had to check a box that said something like, "No thanks, I want to be responsible for the costs if and when something goes wrong".

Sorry I don't want to sign up for your lovely spam, Esquire, but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

That poo poo is funny in video games where the quit menu confirmation is something like (to use Wolfenstein as an example) "Abandon the world in its hour of need."

It's less funny when it's a supposedly professional website employing playground tactics.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can't remember what article it was on Esquire but one of these was "no, I don't want to learn tantric sex" or something incredibly similar.

A few days ago I was linked to a Mental Floss interview with a woman who collects and archives vintage ads that document the shaming of women as related to personal hygiene and how that has impacts to this day. Lots of examples, some well-known if you look for this kind of thing online, but plenty of others I'd never seen. The one for Eastern Airlines is especially heinous but the "MIDOL: NO APOLOGIES ACCEPTED" runs neck and neck with "gossiping undergarments" as the most :wtf: for me.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Somfin posted:

That poo poo is funny in video games where the quit menu confirmation is something like (to use Wolfenstein as an example) "Abandon the world in its hour of need."

Videogames begging for your actual info is less funny, though. You have to create an account with Square Enix to play the PC version of FFVII and when I did the unsubscribe link in the spam they sent me was very helpfully broken for like a week,.

One of the Tropico games actually has in-game buttons for Facebook and Twitter and you have to spend in-game currency to disable them,

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I can't remember what article it was on Esquire but one of these was "no, I don't want to learn tantric sex" or something incredibly similar.

A few days ago I was linked to a Mental Floss interview with a woman who collects and archives vintage ads that document the shaming of women as related to personal hygiene and how that has impacts to this day. Lots of examples, some well-known if you look for this kind of thing online, but plenty of others I'd never seen. The one for Eastern Airlines is especially heinous but the "MIDOL: NO APOLOGIES ACCEPTED" runs neck and neck with "gossiping undergarments" as the most :wtf: for me.

Yeah I've either seen the same or one similar, you had to be like "no I want to continue to have a boring sex life" like ugh, really guys? This is just obnoxious.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

One of the Tropico games actually has in-game buttons for Facebook and Twitter and you have to spend in-game currency to disable them,
I guess you don't have to provide it with your social media info, though. And what if you don't have Facebook or Twitter? Does it keep hassling you to sign up?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Christ, even Windows 10 *really* wants you to link your login to your Windows Live account if you have one because using the same password for multiple accounts is such a great idea.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hirayuki posted:

I guess you don't have to provide it with your social media info, though. And what if you don't have Facebook or Twitter? Does it keep hassling you to sign up?

Nah. The social buttons are things like "share this achievement on facebook/twitter" and it never really brings attention to them other than they exist, and the share buttons are disabled while your "Restrict Social Media" edict is in place (or whatever it's called).

The edict also improves worker efficiency and the share buttons are lame so issuing the edict is a no-brainer imo

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Restrict Social Media" restricting your real social media sounds more like a joke than some in-app purchase ploy. I love Tropico and I never even noticed that feature existed. It's not really on par with page hijacking and poo poo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, that's pretty clever. The boost to worker efficiency is the perfect in-game effect.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Somfin posted:

Clicking here makes all your wildest dreams come true!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I was reading an article about these types of ads (not worth linking, it provided no information) and how annoying they are when my reading was interrupted by one of those kinds of ads.

:psyduck:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hirayuki posted:

Games do, I play a bunch of mobile games and they're always like "Link with your facebook and twitter for free dudes!" and aside from being a nerd without either of those things, I don't want people to know I play this poo poo anyway. But at the same time not getting the free dude is pretty much crippling unless you plan to spend a lot of money on the game :shepface: it's stupid. Even non mobile games do it now, every game on PC and console alike pesters you for your facebook and poo poo. No, Bungie, I don't want to link my destiny account to my twitter. Why would I? No one cares about the games I play.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought my daughter one of those monthly beauty product grab bags for Christmas, but they immediately put me on a waiting list. However, I could get off the waiting list if I posted about them to social media. Which kind of defeated the purpose of a surprise birthday gift. And would be a little weird as it's cosmetics.

I spent 3 weeks getting emails every couple of days offering me this great chance to jump to the head of the line before I finally threatened to cancel the order and got off the waiting list.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhf7Gzo02g

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Games do, I play a bunch of mobile games and they're always like "Link with your facebook and twitter for free dudes!" and aside from being a nerd without either of those things, I don't want people to know I play this poo poo anyway. But at the same time not getting the free dude is pretty much crippling unless you plan to spend a lot of money on the game :shepface: it's stupid. Even non mobile games do it now, every game on PC and console alike pesters you for your facebook and poo poo. No, Bungie, I don't want to link my destiny account to my twitter. Why would I? No one cares about the games I play.

It's effectively free advertising. FarmVille started it and it became so obnoxious Facebook eventually had to outright ban spamming poo poo like that. You'd log in and your entire feed would be the occasional thing your friends actually posted and a thousand posts about lost cows. It also gives people a way to guilt their friends into signing up because it's like "hey if you sign up I get this thing!" Plus certain tasks in the games are closely tied to getting people to sign up. You can't do X without your friends so invite them! If they won't help you out they're lovely friends. Hey, don't you want to help out this sad, lost, homeless cow that doesn't actually exist? Look at how sad it looks! We drew it to look all sad so you'd feel bad and make a farm for it to live on.

I actually ended up unfriending at least a dozen people over stupid rear end Facebook games like that. I'd ask them nicely to quit inviting me to things and their response was either "well I just blanket invite everybody it isn't personal" or "oh just sign up I want free stuff." In either case it was "I'm inconsiderate and don't care about you enough to refrain from doing this annoying thing you specifically asked me to stop." I never once played FarmVille and made it a point specifically not to.

That was also one of the things that Candy Crush became infamous for. Invite your friends or pay for extra lives! Guess which one people picked?

On one hand it's a brilliant move in marketing because look at how successful Farmville was. On the other hand it's loving annoying and look at how much Zynga was hated. They're worth billions but whenever I see or hear the name all I can think of is "oh it's those fuckers again." Kind of a double-edged sword.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Coca-Cola is doing a lot of similar poo poo with their rewards program.

It used to be just one big list of things you could earn with bottle cap codes. Now, there are different tiers and the only way to hit the gold tier is to participate in various activities. You can enter one of their contests (at the cost of already earned points) or you can shill their products and spam up your Twitter and/or Facebook, which you must have linked to the rewards program. For example, "Read about Jimmy Wayne - country music singer, author and speaker. Share with #JimmyWayneJourney & get +3 Status."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Coca-Cola is doing a lot of similar poo poo with their rewards program.

It used to be just one big list of things you could earn with bottle cap codes. Now, there are different tiers and the only way to hit the gold tier is to participate in various activities. You can enter one of their contests (at the cost of already earned points) or you can shill their products and spam up your Twitter and/or Facebook, which you must have linked to the rewards program. For example, "Read about Jimmy Wayne - country music singer, author and speaker. Share with #JimmyWayneJourney & get +3 Status."

Gonna have to disagree with you here, cause the fact that you've bought in to what looks like a particularly bald-faced cult centered on soda means that Coke has loving mind-reading geniuses designing their stuff.