Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Streak 6's ghost heat after 3, so I like to have one fire group for 3 and another fire group for 2. You can still get a few 5-salvo alphas without much worry, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Voideka posted:

Retaliation for your poopsocking!

How could you do this to me, have I taught you all nothing!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated, just had a 700+ dmg game through a series of chainfiring and mobility.

I've also just picked up an Cheater, gave up my garbagecan's mech bay for it. Worth it. I also crammed another SPL on it by switching the arm the ACH-B arm and removing a Heatsink. I'm really having no issues with heat on this thing.

e: Now I can start saving up for other mechs. Maybe an Atlas.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 7, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Honestly having played both I prefer the Artemis SRM6 crow to the streak crow, because I can just dump and run without waiting for locks, and the spread is tighter.

Sure range is shorter but dats life.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Stringbean posted:

Malarkey! After a long long long hiatus I returned to the game as a scrub newbie, my first purchase was a King Crab. Then I researched builds and asked questions, listened to what to do and what not to do. Then I dropped into games. Had no problems, first few games I was getting 500-600 damage a match.

You all shouldn't discourage newbies from Assaults (or heavies). Page upon pages you guys have been advising on mech builds and tips for the heaviest mechs. Let a newbie buy into them and learn, trial by fire if need be.

On that note, I've become addicted to the marauder and my KGC, CRB and TDR are collecting dust :(

I respect you boo. Quite frankly I hate people who purposley waste tonnage on my behalf but you did it right.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheParadigm posted:

Those were loyalty-rewards. They've got c-bill bonuses on em. The 7s is amazeballs packing all of the srms.
Neat, I got rewarded for loyally not playing for three years!

Does it matter which goon unit I join? Is there any difference other than Squawk vs. Boobs? Do they use the same Mumble?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WhiteHowler posted:

Neat, I got rewarded for loyally not playing for three years!

Does it matter which goon unit I join? Is there any difference other than Squawk vs. Boobs? Do they use the same Mumble?

One of them does CW with IS mechs, the other Clan. You probably want to be in WoL.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cyrano4747 posted:

One of them does CW with IS mechs, the other Clan. You probably want to be in WoL.
Oops. I forgot to put MWO Refugee in my forum application. I fail at basic life skills.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Nobody does CW so it's a non issue as to which you join.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WhiteHowler posted:

Oops. I forgot to put MWO Refugee in my forum application. I fail at basic life skills.

Do we even use that any more?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do we even use that any more?
Not that I could tell. I checked after I reinstalled a few weeks back and the site is pretty dead. And the build wiki is really outdated.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ImpactVector posted:

Not that I could tell. I checked after I reinstalled a few weeks back and the site is pretty dead. And the build wiki is really outdated.
Oh, okay then. It's still in the OP.

So just get on the Mumble, ask for a unit invite, and shoot robbits?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Application?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, okay then. It's still in the OP.

So just get on the Mumble, ask for a unit invite, and shoot robbits?
Yup, that's the idea. There's also a Google spreadsheet that was floating around the thread in the last 10 pages or so for basically an invite queue, but you really just need to pester someone while they're on and you'll get in.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which one uses IS and which one uses Clan mechs?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Nev posted:

WoL is IS (House Liao), and GIRL is Clans (Jade Falcon).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nev posted:

Anita Dickinme posted:

Goon Units:

- Word of Lowtax [WoL] - Attached to House Liao.

- [GIRL] - Attached to Clan Jade Falcon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

novaSphere posted:

Streak 6's ghost heat after 3, so I like to have one fire group for 3 and another fire group for 2. You can still get a few 5-salvo alphas without much worry, though.

They ghost heat after 4, now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly having played both I prefer the Artemis SRM6 crow to the streak crow, because I can just dump and run without waiting for locks, and the spread is tighter.

Sure range is shorter but dats life.

Streak crows and ASRM6 crows are mechs with very different roles. Streak crows are light killers that are only dangerous to bigger mechs late in the match when everyone has open armor sections.

ASRM6crows are hardcore brawlers that are murderous to bigger mechs at close range. Tactically, they don't really have anything in common.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 7, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Maybe we're thinking the same things but using different words? It's fine at 3, but ghost heats once you fire 4 or more. I thought.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

liquidfire posted:

I respect you boo. Quite frankly I hate people who purposley waste tonnage on my behalf but you did it right.

wat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

novaSphere posted:

Maybe we're thinking the same things but using different words? It's fine at 3, but ghost heats once you fire 4 or more. I thought.

No, the limit got increased to 4 with the SRM buffening a couple of months ago. Now firing 5 starts the ghost heat. The penalty for alphaing a streak crow is smaller than it used to be.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

ImpactVector posted:

WoL is IS (House Liao), and GIRL is Clans (Jade Falcon).

Thanks!

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Stringbean posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated, just had a 700+ dmg game through a series of chainfiring and mobility.

I've also just picked up an Cheater, gave up my garbagecan's mech bay for it. Worth it. I also crammed another SPL on it by switching the arm the ACH-B arm and removing a Heatsink. I'm really having no issues with heat on this thing.

e: Now I can start saving up for other mechs. Maybe an Atlas.

I tried to run the 6 laser setup and it's just way to hot for me. Having the back up weapon was nice, but your arms are the first to go in that mech. I switched to the arm that has bonus structure and a single laser and now circle strafe with that side towards the enemy so if I lose an arm they have to work for it, and it's only one gun. I always alpha so after about 4 alphas I'm down to alternating firing 2 and 3 lasers to manage the heat.

TL:DR YMMV with bonus laser. I find 5 with an extra heart sink lets you sustain faster/live longer.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
This game is 1000x more fun with goons.

I fixed my terrible stormcrow build, called some primaries and was 're-educated' on torso-twisting. Apparently that is a Thing One Does in stompy-lasers-mans.

Then we unironically went lurming, and hilariously won.

My crowning achievement? Dunking the butthole with 11 goons spectating. Yes, I missed the first time. No, I didn't get any kills that match.

I like how you feel like a god when you play this game solo at tier 4. But then you get past the 'steam trash' and realize just how horrible you are at stomping.

10/10 Would stomp with goons again.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/684898013286797312

It is time. I will fix Mechwarrior Online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What we really need is an assault mech with a physics enabled robot gut that wobbles as it moves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Isn't the Hammer level editor completely unlike crytek?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Russ Bullock posted:

‪@pBiggZz‬ a full time on site level designer for all thugs level design - new maps, map improvements and so on

That's either a typo, an accidental reveal of the next robot or poo poo is about to get real at PGI

I'm holding out hope that the office linebacker is running amok in the PGI office as I write this

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Just a big burly guy punching PGI employees in the gut everytime they pass in the hall.

"Make poo poo better" he grunts everytime.

Pavlovian measures being taken at their offices.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/685200674653511680

Some kind of free prize in the next MWO newsletter. Sign up for that here https://mwomercs.com/profile/email

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Isn't the Hammer level editor completely unlike crytek?

Totally

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/685200674653511680

Some kind of free prize in the next MWO newsletter. Sign up for that here https://mwomercs.com/profile/email

Jesus, tried to sign up but it doesn't save the check box on the newsletter. It says preferences are saved.
Anyone else getting that for trying to sign up?

Hiring more level designers or artists won't do poo poo. The game needs actual meaningful content outside of stompy robit CounterStrike. :\

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I would get pretty excited over some new maps for once

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

No, the limit got increased to 4 with the SRM buffening a couple of months ago. Now firing 5 starts the ghost heat. The penalty for alphaing a streak crow is smaller than it used to be.

Where was this communicated? The in-game warning still states more than 3, and smurfy's data also agrees.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

TVDinna posted:

Hiring more level designers or artists won't do poo poo. The game needs actual meaningful content outside of stompy robit CounterStrike. :\

then who will create the new content required for solaris and the pve mode?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

oh boy. not what you want to see before a new map gets released

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TVDinna posted:

Jesus, tried to sign up but it doesn't save the check box on the newsletter. It says preferences are saved.
Anyone else getting that for trying to sign up?

Yep. Leave it to PGI to have a website that straight up refuses to allow anyone to sign up for the newsletter.

Maybe it's saving us from ourselves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

novaSphere posted:

Where was this communicated? The in-game warning still states more than 3, and smurfy's data also agrees.

Whoops, I just re-read the patch notes. It didn't say anything about Streak 6s, just the regular 6s.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I want to get a Locust-1V for LPL shenanigans. What're two other good variants/builds for mastery purposes? Also, what engine do I put in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ImpactVector posted:

Yup, that's the idea. There's also a Google spreadsheet that was floating around the thread in the last 10 pages or so for basically an invite queue, but you really just need to pester someone while they're on and you'll get in.
Most of my goon friends from the beta don't play anymore -- is there anyone who can PM me the info for the Mumble and/or toss me a WoL invite in-game? MWO name is the same as my forum name.

• Locked thread