Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

rujasu posted:

Wait, I always hit cancel. If you hit "OK" doesn't that just put you back in the middle of the battle?

It puts you at the beginning of the round, as if you just started the fight over but without expending any extra stamina.

IIRC, they accidentally disabled the ability to S/L a while back in Japan and re-instated it really loving quick and gave compensation for it. I'm fairly certain that if DeNA didn't want it to still be a thing, it absolutely wouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Drat, thought the FFV event was still going so I lost Lenna's MC2. Puts me two down, missing Rinoa's and hers.

Is there any time to recatch those MC2-mons and if so when? Or am I poo poo out of luck?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

Wait, I always hit cancel. If you hit "OK" doesn't that just put you back in the middle of the battle?

It puts you back at the beginning of the current wave you're on. So if, say, your healer got turned to stone and you killed all the enemies in a wave, S/L wouldn't fix it on the next wave, but it would if you S/L'd right when it happened.

e:f;b

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Second run easily mastered Yuna Ultimate and I even used Hymn after the 3rd form came out since mega death is such a low rate, so my team sat at full hp the rest of the fight. Got a major orb drop too. :toot:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
^^ this was almost my exact experience with my Yunalesca re-fight too, except for the Major drop :v:

PJOmega posted:

Drat, thought the FFV event was still going so I lost Lenna's MC2. Puts me two down, missing Rinoa's and hers.

Is there any time to recatch those MC2-mons and if so when? Or am I poo poo out of luck?

MC2 lodes eventually come back as a regular feature, mostly as special login gifts and +++ fight rewards, but no regular MC2 has ever had a repeat so far, even in JP.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Alright cool, pulled on the beginner banner and got Rydia's whip, mystery veil and dragon arm let. Took Res Algathi as the bonus since it's much stronger than the free gun and Balthier is my man and I chased it a little too hard during his event.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

rujasu posted:

S/L still costs stamina even if you use it

Oh noooooooooo, I'm so sorry to hear you thought that, that's must have been a lot of wasted stamina :negative:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

kalensc posted:

Oh noooooooooo, I'm so sorry to hear you thought that, that's must have been a lot of wasted stamina :negative:

Nah, it hasn't affected me much at all. I've been able to master all of the high-level content over the last few months. Only thing I used a lot of stamina on recently was Ultimate Exdeath, and that really didn't set me back much. Certainly hasn't made the game "unplayable" for me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

rujasu posted:

Who said anything about spending actual money for stamina? Why would I ever do that? S/L still costs stamina even if you use it, and if you need to recharge stamina you can just use a mythril or wait it out. Never use gems for stamina, even if you are a paying customer it's one of the least efficient ways to use gems.

I'm not talking about how you might play, or what the most efficient playstyle is. What I'm saying is that there actually are paying customers out there who'd lose their stamina purchase due to app crashes if S/L got taken out, and since those people are the ones actually paying for the game, it'd be really stupid to screw those people over.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm not talking about how you might play, or what the most efficient playstyle is. What I'm saying is that there actually are paying customers out there who'd lose their stamina purchase due to app crashes if S/L got taken out, and since those people are the ones actually paying for the game, it'd be really stupid to screw those people over.

Well, loss of stamina due to app crashes, taking a call in the middle of battle, etc. is pretty much the actual intended reason for S/L existing, sure. I don't agree that it would make the game unplayable though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You know you've got a frustrating feature when you start to think "Should I pull now or pull later". Coupled with the free mythril, it's as if the Gackt-cha is a core mechanic. Oh wait. :v:

But yeah, I can get enough for a three-pull. But I'll three-pull on the IV banner and spend a pull on the 2nd X banner.

EDIT: Diamond Vest. When I already have two max'd Diamond Vests already.

widespread fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 7, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

rujasu posted:

No, not really. It would be annoying in high-level Elite Realm Dungeons with several waves of tough mobs before the boss, but most of the really high-level content is one-shot bosses anyway. S/L doesn't matter for those; just die and restart the dungeon.

I mean I'm not saying it would be a good thing if we lost the S/L loophole, but saying it would make the game "flat out unplayable" is a big exaggeration.

We're getting pretty close to this point in the classic dungeons too (and of course the last couple elites for events). And "just die and restart the dungeon" for something like a +++ is an understatement when you're losing 40 stamina per S/L (60 for an Ultimate). And if you didn't proc Sleep/Intidimate/whatever for medals on the last boss of a boss rush? Hope you're ready to splurge on revives until you do! This makes the content most current players actually have to think about to some degree way more frustrating.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rujasu posted:

Well, loss of stamina due to app crashes, taking a call in the middle of battle, etc. is pretty much the actual intended reason for S/L existing, sure. I don't agree that it would make the game unplayable though.

You still don't lose stamina in those cases unless you opt to not restart the fight when you get the prompt after reopening the app. S/L does not burn extra stamina. I've never lost stamina due to a crash or phone call mid-fight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm supped hyped up for the inevitable disappointment that will come with the 11-pull I do tonight on the FFIV banner :toot:

Is Ultimate Rubicante harder than Exdeath?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

You still don't lose stamina in those cases unless you opt to not restart the fight when you get the prompt after reopening the app. S/L does not burn extra stamina. I've never lost stamina due to a crash or phone call mid-fight.

Rujasu mentioned earlier that he/she always cancel out of the prompt when re-starting the game, due to presuming that the OK would put you back into the point in battle where the game had closed rather than a fresh start of the wave.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm supped hyped up for the inevitable disappointment that will come with the 11-pull I do tonight on the FFIV banner :toot:

I can imagine him being more aggravating due to his cape thingy.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Nickoten posted:

We're getting pretty close to this point in the classic dungeons too (and of course the last couple elites for events). And "just die and restart the dungeon" for something like a +++ is an understatement when you're losing 40 stamina per S/L (60 for an Ultimate). And if you didn't proc Sleep/Intidimate/whatever for medals on the last boss of a boss rush? Hope you're ready to splurge on revives until you do! This makes the content most current players actually have to think about to some degree way more frustrating.

Well, as I said earlier, I was losing the stamina because I was using Cancel. So I lost a bunch of stamina fighting Ultimate Exdeath before I eventually mastered it. I didn't have to buy any recharges, it was fine. Not ideal but not "unplayable" either.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's what I was trying to say? I guess I didn't word it clearly. My point was that the intended reason for S/L existing was so that you don't accidentally lose Stamina if you have a crash or other interruption. The side effect is that we can also use it to not lose Stamina if we get a character killed and have to start over. That's good for us since we save Stamina, maybe bad for DeNa since they would prefer for us to buy the revives. I agree that they'll probably just leave it as is.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Rubicante is probably easier overall. His magic is very powerful, he counters physical attacks, he has a gravity attack, and his cape mechanic is obnoxious, but he doesn't get the two attacks per turn, he has weakness to ice and water when not in defensive mode, and all his attacks are fire, so the resist gear is very useful. Biggest thing is to remember to time your steal powers for about every 3 turns so you don't waste attacks against his cape.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 7, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

widespread posted:

I can imagine him being more aggravating due to his cape thingy.

Pretty much this. Do you have a well-honed Steal Power/Defense? Great! He's managable, particularly with a mage team.

If not? Enjoy eating constant Firaga counters as you try to burn him down with physicals.

That said: Unlike the last two Ultimates, there's no threat of Dispel at all, and if you're really having problems, Rubicante counters fire attacks (which he absorbs, natch) with Raise on one of your party members, so in a pinch a R5 Fire can keep you in fighting shape if you just want the clear instead of the mastery.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So Retaliate strikes also procs his counter? I was under the impression that Retaliate went around those sort of things since Yunalesca definitely didn't trigger her various counters off of Retaliate hits.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

rujasu posted:

Well, as I said earlier, I was losing the stamina because I was using Cancel. So I lost a bunch of stamina fighting Ultimate Exdeath before I eventually mastered it. I didn't have to buy any recharges, it was fine. Not ideal but not "unplayable" either.

Yes but my point is the consequences would be further-reaching than that; and there are plenty of bosses where the fight goes so inconsistently between attempts that some players will be losing way more stamina trying to beat it than others will, and there'd often be nothing they could realistically do about it.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What cant we bicker about?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

What cant we bicker about?

FFXV

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Cyan is getting buffed. Again. I think he's been buffed more than any other character to date and still is complete rubbish, but maybe that, a MC2, and a SSB might make people pretend to care about him.
One of the rewards for the event appears to be a Grenade. Which is a 5* gun. Huh.

There has been no word on buffs so far anywhere I have access to. Where are you getting this from?

Also, that isn't a gun, it's a Machinist ability.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sabin existing is enough to mean you'll never want to use Gau. And Sabin is still kinda mediocre.

KataraniSword posted:

5* Celerity, 5* Combat. He's basically Dark Knight Cecil, except he doesn't have the stats to back those up and can't equip anything but Fists and Daggers.

DK Cecil is already low-tier, and that's with sword access, because generally you want your characters to do more than hit things hard.

Gau is very clearly being left to rot in the "Waiting on Blue Magic" pile along with Kimahri, Quina, Quistis, and a couple others. His Magic is only a couple points shy of his Attack.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
This event includes 6 MCs. Naturally, adding Edward's to the mix would have been too much trouble for Dena.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SuperHappy posted:

This event includes 6 MCs. Naturally, adding Edward's to the mix would have been too much trouble for Dena.

The one time they added a MC early it loving broke everything, so now they're afraid to do anything different ever again.

Despite the fact that they continue to insist in CS emails that the global and JP version are "two different games and should be treated as such".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did a cult pull and got a dragon whisker and ffvi gravity rod that I was able to combine into a 5+ :toot:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Worth noting: One-shotting Barbariccia with Jump when she's in her tornado form does count as "disrupting it". Also, in case you forgot because of tauntaliate being so huge, Gilgamesh can use Dragoon skills.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I decided to do a 50 Mythril pull because gently caress the haters of Edge. Got 5 or 6 3*s, some 4*s and a 5*!...which turned out to be a Zantetsuken. I'm honestly tempted to fuse it together with the one from the first Orbfest, but I'll keep them around for the inevitable FF6 event.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 8, 2016

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I have zero IV synergy in terms of weapon outside a 4*+ Rod, it's more or less the only "major" realm I don't have at least one good weapon for. Is it worth pulling on this banner? I heard this is the last IV event for quite a while + it's not featuring much in upcoming dungeon updates, but on the other hand I've still got a lot of the harder elites to do. Decisions, decisions.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

KataraniSword posted:

Worth noting: One-shotting Barbariccia with Jump when she's in her tornado form does count as "disrupting it". Also, in case you forgot because of tauntaliate being so huge, Gilgamesh can use Dragoon skills.

For me I used Ricard because he STILL hasn't dropped his second RM. Also other Jump skills like Wind Jump count, so you don't have to worry if you're like me and sold all your 2* Jump skills.

Speaking of RMs I got Sephiroth's and Zell's. So that just leaves Ricard :sigh: Leon and Strago for the moment.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 8, 2016

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
300 MITHRIL

4 5*'s, 2 is a dagger for FF4, dark gloves which are generic, and the only character one is the freggin bow. I dont plan to ever really use Rosa when Yuna and Yoshi Cola have their stuff already.

I really really wished you could just buy the freggin character specific stuff at a set price.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

:stare:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the struggle is real

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
What should I do a 3 pull on? Edges weapon looks awesome

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man, a Defender and an Aevis Killer? All you need is an Enhancer and a Storm Staff to round out that beautiful, beautiful RNG.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I used all my luck for awhile on that daily 5* pull. I'll be back here stockpiling mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix banners.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KataraniSword posted:

Man, a Defender and an Aevis Killer? All you need is an Enhancer and a Storm Staff to round out that beautiful, beautiful RNG.

Could have pulled a White Dress/Elven Bow/Magus Robe!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

Could have pulled a White Dress/Elven Bow/Magus Robe!

Elven Bow is a good point currently, though :thejoke: was about 5* SB equip that has lovely 3* counterparts from other games, and I don't know of multiple White Dresses?

FAKE EDIT: Oh, it's Rosa's SB item on the next banner. Okay then. :downs:

REAL EDIT: Did a 3-pull despite being somewhat mythril-starved, got a Thunder Rod IV. Can't complain, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So seeing as I egged my current FFIV party to 50 (Said party is just Rydia/Pencil/Golbez/Kain/Tellah), how can I tell if I got their respective RM2's? Or does this event not count in those regards?

Also I did a draw and managed to get stuff to combine. Said stuff has synergy for VI and V, but not IV.

• Locked thread