Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not even gimmick posting when I say MTGO works fine. They fixed a lot of the poo poo that people complain about. It loads your collection the first time you tab into it sorta slow, but everything else works as expected.

It does. I still don't get how it can crash so much, this isn't Windows 98 application crashes really aren't normal or acceptable anymore. It happens to me roughly 3-4 times a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Matter Reshaper seems kindof awesome, especially in CoCo-style decks. Seems like you're getting a good amount of advantage when it dies.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
The development section of MTGO's Wikipedia page is hilarious.

jassi007 posted:

It does. I still don't get how it can crash so much, this isn't Windows 98 application crashes really aren't normal or acceptable anymore. It happens to me roughly 3-4 times a week.

I'm assuming the crashes are primarily related to memory leaks. Leaks occur when a program is coded poorly; when the memory that MTGO "borrows" from your computer system in order to store values and objects (life total and card objects etc) is not properly "returned" to the system, you're stuck with a bunch of memory that can't be freed. So it will continue filling up these blocks of memory until you don't have any to spare.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Matter Reshaper seems kindof awesome, especially in CoCo-style decks. Seems like you're getting a good amount of advantage when it dies.
It's gonna be huge in my Aristocrats deck when I either get another sac target or Abzan Ascendancy in play or a Crackling Doom in my hand. Use Catacomb Sifter to scry garbage off the top first, then get what you need.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

I've cast Blood Moon at least as many times as Karn... I also don't really think Moon is that great vs Tron. You have so many ways to deal with it.

Crazy talk. The only way with Jund I could even think about beating tron was to TS forst turn, goyf second turn and windmill slam blood moon third turn then Fulminator flashing back Fulminator with K-command all day long until they died.

But usually it went DUURRRRRR Karn, you lose

Which was true but I would make them play that poo poo to the bitter end. I would sit there with no permanents in play and the cards being exiled from my hand every turn and make them find a card to win with just to piss them off. No scooping to Tron ever.

gently caress Tron, ban urzas lands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Crazy talk. The only way with Jund I could even think about beating tron was to TS forst turn, goyf second turn and windmill slam blood moon third turn then Fulminator flashing back Fulminator with K-command all day long until they died.

Which was true but I would make them play that poo poo to the bitter end. I would sit there with no permanents in play and the cards being exiled from my hand every turn and make them find a card to win with just to piss them off. No scooping to Tron ever.

same but Jund

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

That's cool I switched to burn because gently caress it. I was tired of losing to Tron.

Also they already banned everything that made jund work well. BBE, DRS, punishing fire... All gone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's cool I switched to burn because gently caress it. I was tired of losing to Tron.

Also they already banned everything that made jund work well. BBE, DRS, punishing fire... All gone.

You're a monster either deck you roll with

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This except leave them legal and ban everything from RG Tron. I'm really starting to think Eye of Ugin might need to go now that they're printing all these absurd new Eldrazi in Oath. Turns out Mishra's Workshop is a powerful card, and giving it the ability to tutor is kind of crazy. Who'd have guessed?!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think any of the actual eldrazi creatures from this set will be in modern tron, and eye of ugin doesn't generate 3 mana like mishra's workshop

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

UberJew posted:

I don't think any of the actual eldrazi creatures from this set will be in modern tron, and eye of ugin doesn't generate 3 mana like mishra's workshop

It might not be Workshop, but there's something to be said about a land that doesn't have to tap to generate its 2 mana, anyways.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

It might not be Workshop, but there's something to be said about a land that doesn't have to tap to generate its 2 mana, anyways.

Eye of Ugin is very good, it just isn't Actually Mishra's Workshop

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

I disagree with you, I think that the 4/4 Tidehollow Sculler will at least see sideboard play.

And it does if you have Urborg active :ssh:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

This except leave them legal and ban everything from RG Tron. I'm really starting to think Eye of Ugin might need to go now that they're printing all these absurd new Eldrazi in Oath. Turns out Mishra's Workshop is a powerful card, and giving it the ability to tutor is kind of crazy. Who'd have guessed?!

Banning eye of ugin would be fine. But it wouldn't stop the Karn bullshit.

Actually I like eye in the new deck. Mostly because burn doesn't give a poo poo if you summon a giant fatty. All I have to do is count to 20.

Just ban Karn and Emrakul. I hate those cards anyway.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I disagree with you, I think that the 4/4 Tidehollow Sculler will at least see sideboard play.

And it does if you have Urborg active :ssh:

I'm not sure who Thought-Knot Seer is good enough against where they aren't going to just play the problem card before you have 4 mana. (GR, anyway) Tron's gameplan is to sidestep card advantage by doing things that blank most of the opponent's deck, rather than actually winning a card advantage war.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm already making a stupid commander deck with nothing but a bajillion mana artifacts and every eldrazi made. It's going to be awful. I'm stoked.

Commander is obviously New Kozilek.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UberJew posted:

Eye of Ugin is very good, it just isn't Actually Mishra's Workshop

True, Workshop never gives you more than 3 mana in one turn.

Edit: Or tutor for a Wurmcoil.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 8, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you have that great a draw you're winning cause of the mage and the TS as much as the moon. Jund is just never going to have a good matchup vs Tron though. That is just modern.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm already making a stupid commander deck with nothing but a bajillion mana artifacts and every eldrazi made. It's going to be awful. I'm stoked.

Commander is obviously New Kozilek.

I know it's a dumb question (because Commander is a dumb, albeit fun format) but can a colourless Commander like Kozilek legally use creatures with Devoid?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Oh look, another stupid modern buyout...

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?productname=spellskite

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Alris posted:

I know it's a dumb question (because Commander is a dumb, albeit fun format) but can a colourless Commander like Kozilek legally use creatures with Devoid?

No. If the card has a mana symbol written anywhere on it thats not part of your commander's identity, you can't play it. A colorless commander deck can only include lands and true colorless cards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Foil blighted agents jumped from 15 to 50 sometime last month, ravagers did the same thing some months ago as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Northjayhawk posted:

No. If the card has a mana symbol written anywhere on it thats not part of your commander's identity, you can't play it. A colorless commander deck can only include lands and other true colorless cards.

fixed

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

idk about you but my erection is going up! up! up! like these graphs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

It doesn't really happen in standard... Just quit modern.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't really happen in standard... Just quit modern.

Counterpoint Jace Vryns Prodigy.

BJPaskoff posted:

When Goyfs spike to 500 for no reason I'm cashing out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lomarf at these buyouts drat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Counterpoint Jace Vryns Prodigy.

Nah that's a different situation. That is a card that ended up being the most played card in standard while also being a core set planeswalker and playable in modern, legacy and even vintage. It was a perfect storm and the price has held, not like when these dumb buyouts happen.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's going to be awful. I'm stoked.

- The Commander Player's Creed

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BJPaskoff posted:

At least Spellskite makes a little sense - it's a very good utility creature that can be played in just about any deck, and there's nothing you can really use as a replacement for it.

Still dumb as hell, but at least I can kinda see where they're coming from if I tilt my head.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nah that's a different situation. That is a card that ended up being the most played card in standard while also being a core set planeswalker and playable in modern, legacy and even vintage. It was a perfect storm and the price has held, not like when these dumb buyouts happen.

This is all generally true but doesn't solve the on going issue of the fact that standard rotates. There's no real way to win at money while playing Magic.

What I'm saying is make a cube.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

I'm not sure who Thought-Knot Seer is good enough against where they aren't going to just play the problem card before you have 4 mana. (GR, anyway) Tron's gameplan is to sidestep card advantage by doing things that blank most of the opponent's deck, rather than actually winning a card advantage war.

Twin and Scapeshift.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ramos posted:

This is all generally true but doesn't solve the on going issue of the fact that standard rotates. There's no real way to win at money while playing Magic.

What I'm saying is make a cube.

If you're playing magic to win at money you're probably wasting your time heh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Skite is the actual most played creature in modern, to be fair.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If you're playing magic to win at money you're probably wasting your time heh.

Yes, that is a good way of repeating the already stated point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Skite is the actual most played creature in modern, to be fair.

It's in 53% of modern decks on MTG Goldfish. The next most seems to be Kitchen Finks at 20...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Twin and Scapeshift.

It's too slow for Twin and I don't think Scapeshift is enough of a deal to take a slot for it alone.

Eldrazi Charm on the other hand, is better against Twin, still works against Scapeshift and also hits some other decks

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
lol, managed to win my first game with reality acid after a 15 minute game where at one point I accidentally enchanted one of my own lands (he conceded after I had him in a lock), and then lost the next two games because my turn 1 land game 2 was Azorius Chancery and game 3 I spreading seas'd the Azorius Chancery I used to cast it

:shepicide: I think I'll stick to cardboard

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Four Score posted:

lol, managed to win my first game with reality acid after a 15 minute game where at one point I accidentally enchanted one of my own lands (he conceded after I had him in a lock), and then lost the next two games because my turn 1 land game 2 was Azorius Chancery and game 3 I spreading seas'd the Azorius Chancery I used to cast it

:shepicide: I think I'll stick to cardboard

You'll get used to it pretty quickly. I find it easiest to tap my mana, then cast the spell. This avoids stuff like targeting your own land when you're trying to tap it for mana. Believe me, I've killed my fare share of my own lands and skipped more than a few turns. One match of modern alone I managed to kill my own land with my Tec Edge Mine twice but it's pretty rare that I mess that stuff up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Some Numbers posted:

It turns out when you have a product that literally prints money, you don't have to invest money into improving it.

For all the problems MTGO has had and may or may not still have, it still lets people draft whenever they want and people will pay for that.

This is terribly shortsighted. MTGO could print at least ten times as much money with a good client. Look at Hearthstone, it's a huge moneymaker despite updating much less often than Magic. Wizards is sitting on a gold mine, but refuses to use any technology more advanced than a pick and a shovel to develop it.

• Locked thread