Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I seem to recall Myogiryu complaining about Oosunaarashi coming out with those flailing arms and calling it "not sumo". Oosuna's response? Next time goes for the belt and 86's Myogiryu's rear end like a sack of garbage. Awesome.

Yoshikaze looked like he was beating up an old man with a cane, considering how hobbled Terunofuji is. Good thing that old man with a cane is actually a young and giant motherfucker.

Did Tochiozan recently make some kind of ethnic slur about Mongolians after beating Kakuryu? First Hakuho pulls an epic troll on him, and then Harumafuji looked like he was trying to literally kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Amuuru's knee must be pretty bad off; he's usually in his element when he can lower himself forward and use the length of his legs and body to just push, but even that isn't working for him.

Hakuho's bitch-slap was hilarious.

MrSmokes posted:

Cool throw by Gagamaru
Some good throws today. Kotenage isn't so rare in itself, but I've never seen anybody force uke all the way over onto their back instead of just dropping to a hand or knee. Powerful stuff.

Kakuryu's throw was a work of art.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: http://youtu.be/vrGdmgM45qI

Taka(rafuji) vs Taka(yasu) for MOTN.

E: Tochinoshin - Osunaarashi gave it a run for its money though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 19, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Tomorrow is Hakuho vs Harumafuji. It will be very interesting.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Harumafuji is looking great, I reckon he'll sneak it. I wonder if Hakhuo will try some new technique or play it safe.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

anakha posted:

Taka(rafuji) vs Taka(yasu) for MOTN.

Is it just me, or are gyoji off-point this week? The forearm went down first and it wasn't even close. How many mono-ii overrules have there been this basho?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Flayer posted:

Harumafuji is looking great, I reckon he'll sneak it. I wonder if Hakhuo will try some new technique or play it safe.

Hakuho might have been screwing around with lower-ranked guys the past few bashos, but I've never seen him not take Harumafuji or Kakuryu seriously (could be a fellow Mongolian thing though).

WindyMan posted:

Is it just me, or are gyoji off-point this week? The forearm went down first and it wasn't even close. How many mono-ii overrules have there been this basho?

The number of monoii overrules doesn't seem much larger compared to past bashos to me. Maybe the gyoji suspension got more of a spotlight on such reversals.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 19, 2015

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsW58YDln6k

Oosunaarashi, nooooo :(

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsW58YDln6k we have our first yokozuna battle, very nice skill there.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ex-yokozuna Kitanoumi died today. Check out videos of his rivalry between Wajima in the 70s. When I watched all of the year by year digests on Araibira's YouTube channel, the Kitanoumi/Wajima matches were probably some of the most enjoyable. He won 24 championships so he's a "Daiyokozuna".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shohozan has a mathematical chance to win in his first basho back in makuuchi. :psyduck:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Late to this basho, didn't recognize Shohouzan without his gold belt

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Late to this basho, didn't recognize Shohouzan without his gold belt

Didn't recognize him with a gyoji handing him money, either.

Wow, Kitanoumi :-( I had no idea he was in that bad of shape. And he was still 4 years from the retirement age, too.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nooooo oosunaarashi :(

but hey, intrigue!!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I hear people from the upper rows are still picking pieces of osunaarashis leg out of their hair.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Oosunaarashi, Toyonoshima, and Kotoshogiku are all gone.

So, Kisenosato and Ichinojo get a free win.

BUT more importantly Shohozan gets the free win, which is crazy.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dr.Radical posted:

Ex-yokozuna Kitanoumi died today. Check out videos of his rivalry between Wajima in the 70s.

Here's an epic one I randomly found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuxUdrDqSZA

That start, tho. :crossarms:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THwo0DKQ4Jo

Epic matches there.

I'm sad to see Osunaraashi injured but other results from today got me very excited about the last day tomorrow.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Terunofuji and Harumafuji are the greatest. Terunofuji beating Hakuho in his condition, and that pure skill from Harumafuji...

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Terunofuji must be really happy to pay back Harumafuji for his Yusho, and he did a great job. What an amazing fight.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Would be crazy if Harumafuji loses and Shohozan manages to squeak in to a playoff. Looking forward to Goeido's live-or-die match. Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Final day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TFi0L1i54

E: MOTN goes to that makushita playoff bout. Makuuchi matches were pretty meh.

Good job by Mitakeumi in his first go-around with the big boys.

Shohozan :ughh:

Goeido really is pretty much a borderline ozeki, but good for him for saving his rank.

Kind of a sucky way to end a yusho - all the top contenders lose their final matches.

7 yushos for Harumafuji - not too bad for a supposedly 'second-tier' yokozuna. :smug:

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 22, 2015

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Congratulations to Harumafuji! His excellent sumo deserved another Yusho, his speed and technique are unique and he deserves to be recognised. Quite sad for Shohouzan that if he hadn't fallen over at the Tach-ai he would have been in a play-off. It would not have been undeserved as his performance this Basho has been superb but he certainly didn't face the same calibre of opponents that Harumafuji did.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

That was the strangest ending for Hakuho. Unless he got injured when Harumafuji blasted him out, or abducted by aliens shortly afterwards, I'm not sure who that was that went against Terunofuji and Kakuryu on days 14 and 15. If he was hurt, I guess it made more sense to not pull out, since losing to an Ozeki or another Yokozuna isn't shameful like giving up an easy win (kinboshi) to a Maegashira is. Still completely puzzled why Hakuho didn't try to work Terunofuji laterally, if the yusho actually meant anything to him.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
This was the basho of the year for me. Really pleased to see Shohouzan show up big time, close to the yusho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I was happiest to see Mitakeumi do well his first time out.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Somebody asked why nobody was throwing the cushions anymore.

http://www.the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002535994

What a bunch of fun havers huh

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Uncle Jam posted:

A flying cushion is clearly much more of an injury hazard to spectators than 150kg men crashing into the audience on a regular basis

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Uncle Jam posted:

Haha, the main seats in focus are pretty much exactly the seats I had last year (which will probably end up as the only time I will have ever watched sumo live and in-person). Those seats did strike me as hard to throw, though that wasn't an issue since no yokozuna was upset that day.

Pretty decent viewing angle and inexpensive, iirc. Also, right next to stairs, so it was easy to head out to get food, use the restroom, or participate in giveaways/events. Would buy again.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Do Sumo wrestlers eat a lot of sushi?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kanthulhu posted:

Do Sumo wrestlers eat a lot of sushi?

The ones who have made it into the money, yes. Otherwise its typically a low cost stew with the odd night out on the town for bar food.
Also, it depends what you mean by 'a lot'.

Osunaarashi has had surgery for ACL reconstruction. He's wrestled most of his career on a torn ACL, apparently (as posted elsewhere).
It seems like they're starting to figure out you can't compete at a top level without fixing torn ligaments. Unfortunately Endo is in a situation where he can no longer have surgery without dropping out of Juryo and it looks doubtful he can rise high enough again to get back to that level.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Uncle Jam posted:

Osunaarashi has had surgery for ACL reconstruction. He's wrestled most of his career on a torn ACL, apparently (as posted elsewhere).
It seems like they're starting to figure out you can't compete at a top level without fixing torn ligaments. Unfortunately Endo is in a situation where he can no longer have surgery without dropping out of Juryo and it looks doubtful he can rise high enough again to get back to that level.

I wonder if they'll start taking donor ligaments from lower ranking rikishi and street kids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

The ones who have made it into the money, yes. Otherwise its typically a low cost stew with the odd night out on the town for bar food.
Also, it depends what you mean by 'a lot'.
My understanding is that there's plenty of fast-food-level sushi out there. Although it's also my understanding that new recruits live in such shabby conditions that it wouldn't surprise me that a big communal one-pot meal is all they can expect.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There's cheap sushi but the portions are tiny. At the dollar a plate shops I can easily get to $25 before filling up and I'm not a real big person. These guys are going for 3000-5000 cals a day, and even not new guys but not yet high ranks get about $600 a month pre tax.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, one of the reasons why I hardly eat sushi is because even at a conveyer belt chain place, it's still impossible for me to walk out of the place without spending at least $20. Instead I just go to a decent place where a dude makes everything to order at a bar once or twice a year.

Edit: Also chanko is their main source of calories, yeah. I hear they drink a lot of beer too. The lower level guys all live communally, true, but they're taken care of for everything. It's not like the oyakata is like "well we'll feed you chanko at breakfast but after that you're on your own."

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 28, 2015

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's still pretty brutal though, especially since 99% of them will never make it to the big time, and they've pretty much wasted a few years while their peers went on to college or real jobs. At the very least, I think the lower level guys should have the option to get day jobs rather than act as servants for below minimum wage.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember hearing that pretty much everyone who stays on gets a job with the kyokai in some capacity after they retire from active wrestling. If you're a low level guy who never made it, it's probably not prestigious but it's not like you're totally cast out. But yeah, I agree, it's brutal and not what most young Japanese boys want to do with their lives. I also remember hearing (I used to read the sumo forums, lots of interesting tidbits here and there but I'll be damned if I remember who I heard these things from) that people used to send their gently caress up kids to train sumo because yeah it's a rough life but at least they'll be taken care of and fed.

Edit: Actually to that last bit, I can think of an example from recently. There was a documentary made about 10ish years ago about a new recruit rikishi, Kyokutaisei. At the beginning his dad basically says "well, you're not very smart. I don't know if you could get a good job. You can do judo, though, so I think you should try sumo." So he makes him sign up. He quit at one point, ran away, and then came back. Everything seems to be ok though as he's in Juryo now.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 28, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I also remember hearing (I used to read the sumo forums, lots of interesting tidbits here and there but I'll be damned if I remember who I heard these things from) that people used to send their gently caress up kids to train sumo because yeah it's a rough life but at least they'll be taken care of and fed.

Japanese boarding school - discipline through getting gloriously fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8AuTLKXcI

So Baruto is an MMA fighter now, and this is his New Year's Eve fight.