Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Touhou?
This poll is closed.
Alice Margatroid 23 15.86%
i'm wrong 61 42.07%
Any/every other Touhou except the one Boom Boom Boom likes 61 42.07%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

There is some argument to be made about how love live is structured more like a sports show, while k-on has the more standard slice of life cute girls doing cute things with illusion of a plot of them playing towards the budokan.

Yes, :boom: once made that argument and I agreed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I finished jojo part 7

I liked it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yes, :boom: once made that argument and I agreed with it.

1. You agreed with boom.

2. You haven't seen the show soooo.....?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

the whole 'k-on has no plot' thing is complete nonsense

Heck I'd go as far to say that most of the time when someone says that about anything it's nonsense

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

1. You agreed with boom.

2. You haven't seen the show soooo.....?

I'm talking about Love Live being a sports anime only with idols.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

its literally the seinfeld of anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

immediate impression of Norn9: this probably isn't pretty enough or gay enough to be worth following
it's based on an otome game

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It'd be way better if people just said it wasn't a serialized show since that's what they actually mean!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I'm talking about Love Live being a sports anime only with idols.

Oh. Well, I still don't know if I'd completely agree, it was similiar in some episodes, sure but it's not an idol sports anime in general

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's based on an otome game

so is Prince of Stride, and that had a super gay first ep

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

It'd be way better if people just said it wasn't a serialized show since that's what they actually mean!

some anime fans get real dumb about episodic shows.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

some anime fans get real dumb about mostly episodic shows.

I used to be like that, then I realized it was dumb and stopped and now my favorite show is very episodic

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

Oh. Well, I still don't know if I'd completely agree, it was similiar in some episodes, sure but it's not an idol sports anime in general

There are some lacking factors, like the presence of a true rival. Sure, there's A-RISE but they barely show up.

I guess it's closer to say that it's a Western sports movie only in anime format and with idols.

Saving the school, working towards a goal, a setback that prevents them from making it to Nationals, a second chance, then succeeding despite being plucky underdogs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

k-on has a 'plot' but it's mostly just a slow build to the girls graduating and :(ing about it

love live has a clear goal that the characters are working towards

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

*cast introduces themselves*
main girl in Norn9: nobody called my name for a while, so i forgot it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

*cast introduces themselves*
main girl in Norn9: nobody called my name for a while, so i forgot it

me

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i remember reading this thing that most western narrative is structured around conflict and i wonder if that's why some people refer to something like k-on not having a plot

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

i remember reading this thing that most western narrative is structured around conflict and i wonder if that's why some people refer to something like k-on not having a plot

That's because the West is always in conflict unlike the superior East.

Said Zep as he gazed nervously to the North.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm going to destroy funimation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

all stories are built around conflict of some kind. it just depends on how you define conflict.

k-on, in the latter half, is built around the conflict between the girls' happiness where they are and the fact that they're going to have to move forward with their lives. it's emotional and mental conflict, two desires that both need to be fulfilled.

two other desires that need to be fulfilled: ritsu kissing mio, and ritsu kissing mugi

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

There are some lacking factors, like the presence of a true rival. Sure, there's A-RISE but they barely show up.

I guess it's closer to say that it's a Western sports movie only in anime format and with idols.

Saving the school, working towards a goal, a setback that prevents them from making it to Nationals, a second chance, then succeeding despite being plucky underdogs.

That's fair. I still don't think it feels like a sports anime even if it does hit those similar story beats but whatever, that's probably another thing I can chalk up to because they only had 12-13 episodes each season and a whole bunch of characters to work with

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph posted:

all stories are built around conflict of some kind. it just depends on how you define conflict.

k-on, in the latter half, is built around the conflict between the girls' happiness where they are and the fact that they're going to have to move forward with their lives. it's emotional and mental conflict, two desires that both need to be fulfilled.

two other desires that need to be fulfilled: ritsu kissing mio, and ritsu kissing mugi

Ahem :colbert:

https://files.catbox.moe/ajkzms.png
What fate a slugcat

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

if yui kissed anyone it would be azunyan

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In SNAFU and in K-On!, girls named Yui aren't allowed to be in first place.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

tbf, those two are pretty cute together too

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

Yup

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

that's what i'm saying though, is that the standardized idea of conflict and resolution in western narrative is defined in a very particular way and k-on (and a lot of japanese stuff and other stuff) doesn't fit that definition

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Knorth posted:

they look uncomfortable

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Parallax posted:

among the brokebrained I'd say it's because it's a tremendously popular anime that's not a punchmans

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

I should probably watch s2 of K-on. I didn't really get into love live either till s2 so I've been reconsidering going back to k-on.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Knorth posted:

she should put that bottle down

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

she should put that bottle down

Only once she's done giving some to Azusa :)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

its literally the seinfeld of anime

This is honestly how I describe Lucky Star and to a slightly lesser extent, Joshiraku.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

AlternateNu posted:

This is honestly how I describe Lucky Star and to a slightly lesser extent, Joshiraku.

Maybe I could've gotten into Lucky Star if it had slap bass scene transitions.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Reds posted:

Maybe I could've gotten into Lucky Star if it had slap bass scene transitions.

Joshiraku even has the opening stand-up bit going for it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

whos going to watch the loving gyaru show??!!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Norn was the first really mixed bag premiere, but i will at least watch the next ep because there was a cliffhanger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the name also makes me think of Nern

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

Galko-chan? Yeah I'll watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Davincie posted:

I will probably try it because sure, why not.

• Locked thread