Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
"You were brought here illegally, and violating the laws have consequences." --Ted Cruz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "There would be millions more voters for Hillary Clinton if Planned Parenthood hadn’t murdered them." ~ Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS)

Joementum fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 8, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Good way to start a page, Texas.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Good way to start a page, Texas.

Sorry, I messed up, Huelskamp is actually from Kansas. I apologize to the awful people of both states.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

toanoradian posted:

Why are they defecting?

In VA they flipped their state congress by giving the daughter of the flipper a nice job. I think he resigned rather than flipped though, I can't remember.

That maneuver blocked the medicaid expansion in Virginia.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

In VA they flipped their state congress by giving the daughter of the flipper a nice job. I think he resigned rather than flipped though, I can't remember.

That maneuver blocked the medicaid expansion in Virginia.

He resigned. And I think also got a nice job out of it. Or maybe he was going to get a nice job out of it, but backed down on taking the job out of public pressure.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Epic High Five posted:

I really really really hope this sham bill dies a horrible death. Pence is already pretty widely disliked and hopefully him tanking some political capital by trying to void a bunch of local statutes (that the townships got a lot of praise for) gets him tarred and feathered

As an aside it always surprises me how many hoosiers post here. We're just the worst

I expect it will, we had members of the House already ask the state supreme court to examine it's constitutionality. The House caucus can't even keep its own people in line for messaging (it takes a resolution by the house to request an examination of a house bill, individuals doing it for senate bills is major bad form) so their ability to hold it together on the larger bill is questionable, particularly given how Pence is on it and how active the religious lobbyists have been

My guess is the "fundamental freedoms" bill is more likely to pass and won't get the blowback. It is RFRA 2.0 to get the real agenda through. Instead of an elevation of "religious liberty" to allow discrimination with a radically expansive definition of legal status to group able to invoke it and their standing under other regulations and laws, it is now mealy mouthed elevation of "first amendment rights" that can serve as basis for a legal defense when you discriminate, a big sloppy BJ for the 2nd amendment to get the local gun nuts to throw in and support it, and the same "Lochner didn't go far enough in elevating the power of corporations to annul the law" legal status definition.

We talk about how social conservative red meat is used to push through a plutocratic agenda, but RFRA and this new one REALLY showcase it. Get people to rally around "ARE GUNS!" and hating gays to get cover to pass through a massive expansion in corporate rights is like the textbook version of that strategy.

And yeah. This state man.

I suppose I should note to hoosiers that if you are in or around Marion county there are some events coming in the next weeks you might want to come out for.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 8, 2016

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Jackson Taus posted:

He resigned. And I think also got a nice job out of it. Or maybe he was going to get a nice job out of it, but backed down on taking the job out of public pressure.

He was offered a plum job, but didn't take it after he resigned because of the bad optics. His daughter, however, was able to be confirmed as a judge in VA because the Republicans up to that point had been blocking her appointment.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

All of his hand gestures make sense except the weird fly-swatting movements during "one of the problems with our broken immigration system". This is because he's reciting a line and is inadvertently moving his hand with the rhythm of said line. Senator Cruz has got to step up his ability to look unrehearsed if he wants this presidency. I know he can do it; I believe in him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this makes me happy that the birthers are tearing into him. gently caress you cruz.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MoaM posted:

All of his hand gestures make sense except the weird fly-swatting movements during "one of the problems with our broken immigration system". This is because he's reciting a line and is inadvertently moving his hand with the rhythm of said line. Senator Cruz has got to step up his ability to look unrehearsed if he wants this presidency. I know he can do it; I believe in him.

If you go back and watch different speeches and interviews he almost always has the same cadence a motions.

When one on one he can vary between that and a more personnel tone. The guy is an rear end in a top hat, but he can make you think that he is actually listening and cares about what you are saying. He is good with the people.

A few of the other politicians and personalities do not have this. I know Trump sure as hell doesn't when one on one unless he has stepped up his game. Fiorina and Sanders both come off very abrasive.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this makes me happy that the birthers are tearing into him. gently caress you cruz.

But with Mark Levin defending him it is going nowhere with the base

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is like some loving purestrain "real life cribbing from The Onion" poo poo: "American Sniper Widow Tells Obama ‘We Can’t Outlaw Murder’"

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/american-sniper-widow-tells-obama-we-cant-outlaw-murder/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YVRu09nAo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

This is like some loving purestrain "real life cribbing from The Onion" poo poo: "American Sniper Widow Tells Obama ‘We Can’t Outlaw Murder’"

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/american-sniper-widow-tells-obama-we-cant-outlaw-murder/
I posted this in the thread when it happened and no one responded because I guess they all thought it was a joke.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Jaunts posted:

He was offered a plum job, but didn't take it after he resigned because of the bad optics. His daughter, however, was able to be confirmed as a judge in VA because the Republicans up to that point had been blocking her appointment.

I honestly wish the state GOP would've just said "we're still going to block her and you're now out an elected position while being known nationally as a loving sell out."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yknow, I gave her the benefit of the doubt initially, but it honestly makes a lot of sense for Chris Kyle's wife to not know murder is illegal.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Sorry, I messed up, Huelskamp is actually from Kansas. I apologize to the awful people of both states.

That's an insult to the good people of Port Arthur.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Saying we can't outlaw murder is funny and all, but in context she wasn't at all saying we should legalize murder and anyone thinking she said that is either a moron or just super eager to twist her words. You can 100% disagree with her sentiment without just mocking misspoken or poorly thought out words from a layperson.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Saying we can't outlaw murder is funny and all, but in context she wasn't at all saying we should legalize murder and anyone thinking she said that is either a moron or just super eager to twist her words. You can 100% disagree with her sentiment without just mocking misspoken or poorly thought out words from a layperson.
Her sentiment is essentially "Why make these laws (that don't hurt me at all) if people can just break them?" Honestly believing that murder might as well be legal because people"the bad guys" are gonna murder anyway is entirely consistent with that idiotic line of thinking. I'd expect nothing less from someone who married a racist psychopath.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Paul D. Ryan (shaved beard) said that Obama should've cried about ISIS victims instead of the dead children from the Sandy Hook massacre.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-obama-tears-gun-control

quote:

“I was affected by it, but I thought we should’ve had the same kind of reaction when James Foley was beheaded, when San Bernardino and Paris occurred,” Ryan said in an interview with Katie Couric. “That’s the kind of reaction I had when those occurred.”

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

toanoradian posted:

Why are they defecting?

Dixiecrats shedding their disguises mostly.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mitt Romney posted:

Paul D. Ryan (shaved beard) said that Obama should've cried about ISIS victims instead of the dead children from the Sandy Hook massacre.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-obama-tears-gun-control

Clearly we need a webcam in the Oval Office to assess every Obama Crying Moment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Her sentiment is essentially "Why make these laws (that don't hurt me at all) if people can just break them?" Honestly believing that murder might as well be legal because people"the bad guys" are gonna murder anyway is entirely consistent with that idiotic line of thinking. I'd expect nothing less from someone who married a racist psychopath.

That's not her point, though, even though I disagree with her overall.

Pointedly, Obama's response isn't so loving stupid as to be all "lol you said murder should be legal" nor did he accuse her of just shrugging and acting like since the system of law isn't perfect, gently caress all laws. Obama is too smart and too skilled to reduce her statement to such idiocy, and he recognizes that she's not that stupid even though he thinks she's wrong. Not so with those gleefully pointing out that she said a dumb thing during her statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQZj8QqGMw

edit: lol just caught that Obama called out suppressors as super dangerous :negative: As a dude who owns handguns, they're a loving scourge on this country, overall, and I'd be sorely tempted to trade the right to own them outside of insane restrictions if it meant I could suppress a rifle and plink cans or hunt without blowing out my ears or other peoples ears or animal ears or blargh, I just want my gun muffled like my car is muffled without onerous and stupid laws governing them plus dumbass disincentive taxes on them....

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 8, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
To cast Executive Action you require 1x Obama Tear and 1x Eye of Newt.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
If Obama cries more I bet they would call him a crybaby president.

And people would say the tears are fake anyway.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

That's not her point, though, even though I disagree with her overall.

Pointedly, Obama's response isn't so loving stupid as to be all "lol you said murder should be legal" nor did he accuse her of just shrugging and acting like since the system of law isn't perfect, gently caress all laws. Obama is too smart and too skilled to reduce her statement to such idiocy, and he recognizes that she's not that stupid even though he thinks she's wrong. Not so with those gleefully pointing out that she said a dumb thing during her statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQZj8QqGMw
I don't think the President should respond to someone on national TV who said a stupid thing at him the way I do sitting at home on the couch. Hell, that's why a lot of people like Trump so much.

But enlighten me, what is her point, beyond that and "let's ignore the epidemic of mass shootings and focus on the positives!"

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

I suppose I should note to hoosiers that if you are in or around Marion county there are some events coming in the next weeks you might want to come out for.

I'm a Bloomingtonian so don't often make it back up there, but I've got couches to crash on so I plan on heading up a least a few times to throw eggs on the state GOP as an ally whenever they come out to protest this insanity.

The media has bought the "ARE GUNS" thing hook line and sinker though, especially in response to Obama's announcement. I guess Pence isn't happy with his legacy being pushing out all the young people and educators, he wants to run off the gays too. It was big business that saved us last time and I don't trust them to do the right thing if there's a reach-around included for them :(

I'm not too savvy as to the best events to make a difference, what are the for sure dates I should request off?

edit - for anybody not in the loop, what's happening is that the Kill the Gays bill will probably be struck down, but the secondary bill that is a huge supply side handjob WILL pass, which also includes unambiguous stripping of rights from LGBT. Why will it pass? Because not only was it corporate worry about image that killed the last one, it will also make it so you don't even need a license to own a handgun.

I know that America at large actually has an aversion to loosening of gun restrictions, so it'll be interesting to see if that shows its face here. Oh wait no it won't be interesting, it's going to be horribly depressing because this is Indiana

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So let's go back a step and not focus on "lol she said something dumb" and not post that Bors comic about criminals not obeying laws because they're criminals...

Why is the widow of someone who was bragging in print form about taking pot shots at looters during Hurricane Katrina and surely inflating his kill count able to ask the sitting President any sort of question on national TV? Like her misspeaking or being taken out of context is just the icing on the loving insane cake of her husband's celebrity. The headline for this dumb snippet is "Widow of 'American Sniper', Chris Kyle, addresses President Obama Regarding Gun Laws".

Brought to you by Carls Jr; gently caress you, I'm eating.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to reiterate just how loving pissed Obama was at Anderson Cooper when he asked him if "it's really fair" to call "Obama wants to take your guns so you can't protect yourself from his tyrannical plans" a "conspiracy theory." You could see in Obama's face that he now truly understood the state of journalism, where "a lot of people believing it" (Anderson's words) means it must be acknowledged as a valid viewpoint because WE CAN'T RISK ALIENATING VIEWERS BY BEING BIASED TOWARDS OBJECTIVE REASONING. Obama agreed to this town hall in good faith, and he watched Anderson stab him in the back to appease paranoid gun nuts and racists.

Phone posted:

So let's go back a step and not focus on "lol she said something dumb" and not post that Bors comic about criminals not obeying laws because they're criminals...

Why is the widow of someone who was bragging in print form about taking pot shots at looters during Hurricane Katrina and surely inflating his kill count able to ask the sitting President any sort of question on national TV? Like her misspeaking or being taken out of context is just the icing on the loving insane cake of her husband's celebrity. The headline for this dumb snippet is "Widow of 'American Sniper', Chris Kyle, addresses President Obama Regarding Gun Laws".

Brought to you by Carls Jr; gently caress you, I'm eating.
She was the first question. That's who CNN opened with.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 8, 2016

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

edit: lol just caught that Obama called out suppressors as super dangerous :negative: As a dude who owns handguns, they're a loving scourge on this country, overall, and I'd be sorely tempted to trade the right to own them outside of insane restrictions if it meant I could suppress a rifle and plink cans or hunt without blowing out my ears or other peoples ears or animal ears or blargh, I just want my gun muffled like my car is muffled without onerous and stupid laws governing them plus dumbass disincentive taxes on them....

Let's see on one hand you could wear earplugs. Or we could legalize suppressors for loving rifles. And you think the second option is more sane? Yeah I dunno that you should have that handgun either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know this isn't the RWM thread, but this is why I think CNN is actively more awful than Fox News.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wasn't it proven that Chris Kyle was so full of poo poo it was coming out of his ears? Why does proximity to a lying idiot = political accumen all of a sudden?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Wasn't it proven that Chris Kyle was so full of poo poo it was coming out of his ears? Why does proximity to a lying idiot = political accumen all of a sudden?
Our troops can do no wrong and should be worshiped, unless they're faggots or women.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Our troops can do no wrong and should be worshiped, unless they're faggots or women.

Or injured, or disagree with us, or do something contrary to our agenda.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In other news, wormy NRA guy explains why they bailed on a town hall about guns with President Obama

quote:

"So what are we going to do, talk about basketball?"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Or if you're infantry and do something that can be considered treason under a specific viewing lens.

versus definitely being a treasonous motherfucker as a high ranking officer and getting a Fox News gig out of it as a "Military Expert"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phone posted:

Or if you're infantry and do something that can be considered treason under a specific viewing lens.

versus definitely being a treasonous motherfucker as a high ranking officer and getting a Fox News gig out of it as a "Military Expert"

Or the 22nd congressional district in Florida

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

why the gently caress are all my dogs howling all of a sudden

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

why the gently caress are all my dogs howling all of a sudden

Hell, I grew up as a metalhead and even I think I heard that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense