Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I mean I would've gone with Mega Man X or X2 but yeah SMW is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like DKC3 better than the first two.

2 was tainted in my babby days because saving cost banana coins and I was poo poo enough at the game to become unable to progress.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I dunno, they did the adaptation of Lovely Complex, Mononoke, Kyousogiga, the various Digimon series, Zatch Bell, and...and...oh dear

oh, oh dear

they've made like 500 different series and only a couple dozen MAYBE are any good...
Stop defending Toei already. The exceptions you listed are not the rule, and would've been done just as fine by another competent company.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blockhouse posted:

here's a hint it's loving super mario world

I feel like that's an unfair standard. Like, SMW is probably the best, but it's also lauded as one of the best video games ever made in general. It's the kind of thing where when people say "x is the best", what they really probably mean is "x is the best, besides super mario world".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Digimon Tamers is the worst animated of the franchise, as I'm told by Super Best Friend person.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Naruto lp is basically watching the symbiote bond with Peter.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DKC is like if everything Jeff said about Yoshi's Island was true.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Or 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My avatar is the ACTUAL best snes platformer anyway no contest

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SBF Play Bubsy Twofer

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CJacobs posted:

My avatar is the ACTUAL best snes platformer anyway no contest
This is bait. Shitbait.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Stop defending Toei already. The exceptions you listed are not the rule, and would've been done just as fine by another competent company.

I feel like you didn't read that whole post.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I'm sure if I ever had a SNES and played games on it that would've come to mind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

here's a hint it's loving bubsy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure if I ever had a SNES and played games on it that would've come to mind.

That's not a requirement. You post on the internet. Have you really never heard anyone talk about Super Mario World before?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's Sonic 3.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also Megaman X is a much better game than SMW.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Dias is correct on both points, with the caveat that Sonic 3 includes Knuckles as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

That's not a requirement. You post on the internet. Have you really never heard anyone talk about Super Mario World before?

I have. It doesn't come to mind immediately because I've never played it. I can remember games that I've played better than ones I haven't, usually.

Most intensive video game thing I'm doing now is trying to keep track of what games took everything by storm like Undertale. So, Halo, Bioshock, Portal, Fire Emblem: Awakening, etc.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

he wasn't defending them????

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dias posted:

It's Sonic 3.

Fuuuuuuck you.

Dias posted:

gently caress you twice.

Although I love Megaman X.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
DKC2 is good and I will admit it's probably the best DKC game but my favorite is still DKC 3 because the level/boss design is so weird and goofy.

It's super strange and unique, even to it's own franchise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

It's Sonic 3.

Dias posted:

There's some god drat lies being told here

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MMX isn't even the best Megaman game, it can forget about hanging with classic Mario.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yoshi's Island is better than SMW.

But I legit would rather play any of the games I listed AND DKC2 over SMW if I wanted to do a platformer.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think skipping on the water with the baby Kong in DKC3 was actually a really cool mechanic. The only Donkey Kong game I've had growing up was the original and I've never really went back to finish the others so if there's crazy terrible bullshit in the late game I don't know about it.

It goes without saying SMW is great and so are all 6 of the Mega Man X games.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

so what we learned is Dias doesn't know what the gently caress a platformer actually is

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Indecisive posted:

so what we learned is Dias doesn't know what the gently caress a platformer actually is

please enlighten me

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dias posted:

Yoshi's Island is better than SMW.

:agreed:

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
The idea that DKC3 is better than anything is ludicrous to me. I met Grant Kirkhope at Con Bravo, and HE poo poo on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

The idea that DKC3 is better than anything is ludicrous to me. I met Grant Kirkhope at Con Bravo, and HE poo poo on it.

Remember the giant googly eyed barrel that burps bugs at you and is basically a glorified version of the potted plant ghost boss from yoshi's island

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheRealestMatt posted:

The gameboy port has pretty nice-sounding music. That's something! :shobon:

The Donkey Kong composers did magic with the GB sound chip. DKL 1 has my favorite music in the whole series, even.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheRealestMatt posted:

That's because DKC3 is awful.

Also speaking of funny awful things I'm just :allears: at hitting the sinspawns body and having Aauron and Wakka go "YO ATTACK THE ARMS ITS GUARDING WITH THEM" but the guys are so absorbed in the guide that they apparently don't even notice.

Edit: And then with Seymour casting basic fire and stuff despite his full list of moves being better

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Grouchio not understanding what I was saying doesn't really surprise me because it's Grouchio

Rhonne posted:

I feel like you didn't read that whole post.
Yeah a couple dozen decent series out of literal hundreds is a nightmarish track record

Rodyle posted:

MMX isn't even the best Megaman game, it can forget about hanging with classic Mario.
loving lol, what's the best megaman game then

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like I could see a case for X2 but other than that no other megaman game has the precise platforming alongside overall game quality of X1

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All 4 Zero games.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Megaman Soccer is superior to the X series in every conceivable way, sorry that you're so wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Remember the giant googly eyed barrel that burps bugs at you and is basically a glorified version of the potted plant ghost boss from yoshi's island

This and the Snowball fight with killer snow man and the levels where you outrun a saw as it's cutting up the tree you're in are examples of what I mean. DKC3 is just so delightfully weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

loving lol, what's the best megaman game then

Megaman Battle Network 3