Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A White Guy posted:

I can take pleasure in someone else doing something retarded and getting hurt for it. Watching some poor women destroy her ACL on the leg machine, not so much.

To follow your formula, the woman using the leg machine is doing a retarded stupid thing by taking on too much weight. She is, techincally, someone else.

What I'm saying is, I don't get what you are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

To follow your formula, the woman using the leg machine is doing a retarded stupid thing by taking on too much weight. She is, techincally, someone else.

She didn't seem to be having a problem pushing it before, so I don't think it's "too much". It was just a nasty accident.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

KoRMaK posted:

That the hurt should be proportional to the level of stupidity, I guess. Someone crossing the street, not looking, and then getting pasted is about as schadenfruedy as that video.

RubberLuffy posted:

Governor of Maine has some incredibly racist and hilariously outdated things to say

Includes favorites such as "These guys named D-Money, Smoothie and Shifty" are coming into Maine to "sell heroin" and knock up "young, white girls."

Here's hoping for some effective backlash against this idiot.

Republican. Colored me shocked. The whole point of dogwhistle racism is that you're not supposed to come out and just say that you hate black people!.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Sir Unimaginative posted:

My mouth made the panicky noises.

You'd be doing us a favor if you move (not copy) your reply to the OSHA thread. It seems very very OSHA and the only freude anyone may be getting from this particular schaden is not the kind of freude one should want in a human society.

There is an OSHA thread? Oh god it is in GBS.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A White Guy posted:

That the hurt should be proportional to the level of stupidity, I guess. Someone crossing the street, not looking, and then getting pasted is about as schadenfruedy as that video.
Ah, ok gotcha. The punishment should fit the crime, so to speak. Yea? If so, I agree.

It'd be like someone coming up to pick a fight with you, and while you are distracted one of his boys comes up from behinds and punches you in the temple and your head falls like 5 to 6 feet to concerete. Ugh, could you imagine how unfair that would be!

Instead, a better outcome would be someone coming up behind the person and, I dunno, maybe pantings them. Definitely not something that results in stiches.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Foxhound posted:

Today's my first day of work after the holidays and it sucks.
Here're some people who are having it worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPPciVYVLIQ

That one with the barge at the end just went from bad to worse to :aaa:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

KoRMaK posted:

Ah, ok gotcha. The punishment should fit the crime, so to speak. Yea? If so, I agree.

It'd be like someone coming up to pick a fight with you, and while you are distracted one of his boys comes up from behinds and punches you in the temple and your head falls like 5 to 6 feet to concerete. Ugh, could you imagine how unfair that would be!

Instead, a better outcome would be someone coming up behind the person and, I dunno, maybe pantings them. Definitely not something that results in stiches.

You mean like this? No scootyfroody in here, just a guy getting sucker punched and hospitalised.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
You just got knocked the Fffffuuuck out

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

There is an OSHA thread? Oh god it is in GBS.

Please don't post that in Gibbis.

Mainly because it's not actually work related and people have gotten poo poo on for far lesser things than tornACLgif

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
"Oh no."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5NWcdq4Wf4

(Action starts around 1:15)

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

that desperate claw at the dock/cliff thing is soooooo good

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

that desperate claw at the dock/cliff thing is soooooo good

Pure poetry

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the guys standing on the end of the plank to counterbalance the tons of heavy machinery on the other end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A White Guy posted:

Yeah, both the video and analogy are horrifying, not schadenfreude.

I've seen an old guy get hit by a car at work in real life. My reaction was not "Heh, hilarious. :smug:" it was "Holy poo poo, that's horrible. :gonk:"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

:nope:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, both the video and analogy are horrifying, not schadenfreude.

I've seen an old guy get hit by a car at work in real life. My reaction was not "Heh, hilarious. :smug:" it was "Holy poo poo, that's horrible. :gonk:"

But, what if the old dude was skateboarding down a hill after punching a blind kid who was looking at his girlfriend and, he slipped after trying to kick a kid, and careened off into traffic?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Depends. How much did he tip the wait staff at his last meal out?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So for the woman getting her knees bent backwards, did the guy adjust the weight on her or something?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

no she just used the machine incorrectly

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

RandomPauI posted:

So for the woman getting her knees bent backwards, did the guy adjust the weight on her or something?

No, the way you use the machine is to avoid locking your legs out. Normally, your quadriceps take most of the weight, and being the massive meaty muscles they are, don't have issues. Once you lock your legs out, your quadriceps are no longer involved in holding up the weight, leaving the majority of weight on your ACL. In her case, this resulted in her leg folding in one itself like a piece of paper (:gonk:).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I read that as UNLAID and I missed the real joke.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1PHpkdvNOs

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

But, what if the old dude was skateboarding down a hill after punching a blind kid who was looking at his girlfriend and, he slipped after trying to kick a kid, and careened off into traffic?

I dunno. Generally, schadenfreude is for when retribution happens with stupid mistakes and/or assholes, not really in cases where it leaves permanent damage or death even for an rear end in a top hat or simply an honest mistake. If you feel schadenfreude for the latter, that probably means you yourself are a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat.

Example: flinging your skateboard at the ground and having it deck you in the nuts is a stupid mistake. Lady twisting her knees backwards due to over-exerting on an exercise machine is an honest mistake.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Jan 8, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I dunno. Generally, schadenfreude is for when retribution happens with stupid mistakes and/or assholes, not really in cases where it leaves permanent damage or death even for an rear end in a top hat or simply an honest mistake. If you feel schadenfreude for the latter, that probably means you yourself are a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat.

You are wrong. Please refer to this link for further information: http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Schadenfreude

Bedeutungsübersicht posted:

boshafte Freude über das Missgeschick, Unglück eines andern

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

there is no joy to be had at this thread's misuse of the word schadenfreude

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zero One posted:

That one with the barge at the end just went from bad to worse to :aaa:

I'm still giggling like a fool at the truck around the 1:45 mark. It's the car equivalent of a pug running headfirst into a sliding glass door.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stop making the thread lame and post more stuff like this

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Notice the guy with the pink hoodie fighting with the police (during a football match)

A photo taken a bit later

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is that security guard taking a fuckin' selfie with a bleeding, questionably conscious guy?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Is that security guard taking a fuckin' selfie with a bleeding, questionably conscious guy?

I would imagine that he's raising his arm to try and discourage who is taking the photograph to maybe not take it.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

AlphaKretin posted:

You can see the security guys hand, so highly doubt that.

(he was fully conscious btw, and could see him still fighting on the stands after he was hit. I think he just finally admitted defeat.)

Woodenlung has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 8, 2016

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

AlphaKretin posted:

yes

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jeherrin posted:

I would imagine that he's raising his arm to try and discourage who is taking the photograph to maybe not take it.

This is more likely. Why would anyone take a selfie without their own face in it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think if your face isn't in it, it's not a selfie. It's just a picture.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think if your face isn't in it, it's not a selfie. It's just a picture.

All pictures are selfies now. Ansel Adams was the father of US selfieography.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bottom Liner posted:

Stop making the thread lame and post more stuff like this

Well, at least it didn't catch fire.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Monday:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/05/giant-golden-chairman-mao-built-by-chinese-villagers

Friday:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/08/giant-golden-chairman-mao-statue-destroyed-henan-province

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mao money, Mao problems.