Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sometimes I see obviously wrong stuff on Wikipedia and wonder if it's a professor laying out a honeypot for lazy undergrads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Well it was Soviet evidence, obviously it's fake :downs:

RIP M103 Longstreet.

I'm on my phone, somebody find a picture of the model reselling company with Longstreet on the box.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would like to thank Patrick Spens and SeanBeansShako for posting on my behalf while I was unavailable today and await the requested First Crusade effortpost with great anticipation.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Google didn't help because I got my acronym wrong, it's DEF/SEP.

Basically in the last months of WW2 so many Reich soldiers were surrendering to the Western armies that there wasn't a way to properly feed or shelter them, so we had to not properly feed or shelter them, and many of them died. However, we were the good guys and signatories of the Geneva Convention so we made up a new category of prisoner so the whole thing was nice and legal and not a nasty-wasty war crime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disarmed_Enemy_Forces
I like that SEP could also be "someone else's problem".

HEY GAL posted:

never let that die
I am kind of sort of working on some cold war wargames rules and if I ever manage to get it published I'll be sure to include it and name it as the M103 Longstreet for American lists just so nerds have something to point at.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The "best" part is how the English wikipedia has such a hardon for online sources, because that way people can check them for themselves. Of course this leads to all sorts of silly poo poo where things that were linked 10 years ago point to dead webpages now, and not just for bullshit anime in popular culture entries. You see it a lot with history, for example.

German wikipedia is a lot better about pointing to real sources, at least in my experience (which mostly relates to history so it's applicable to this discussion).

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

you were neutral? i thought present day belgium is what it is in part because you liked spain / were reconquered by Farnese. or do you mean that there was no fighting in the spanish netherlands

edit: if you think what they say about hitler is funny, look at what they said about himmler

The prince-bishopric of Liège was neutral, I think? The rest of the southern Netherlands was spanish, but the prince-bishopric continued being a more or less indepedent state within the HRE until it got annexed by france in 1795.

Here's its pretty borders circa 1350:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

JaucheCharly posted:

Why even bother about this poo poo? It's not like you'll ever convince these degenerates.

You know those monkeys from the hear no evil, speak no evil and see no evil parable? imagine them with peaked caps with skulls on and little moustaches.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

The Belgian posted:

[Map of Liége]

What's the striped territory south of Liége proper? Contested territory? If so, contested by whom?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Caustic Soda posted:

What's the striped territory south of Liége proper? Contested territory? If so, contested by whom?

It's Bouillon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon

quote:

The most famous of the Lords of Bouillon was Godfrey of Bouillon, a leader of the First Crusade and the first ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. He sold Bouillon Castle to the Bishopric of Liège. The bishops started to call themselves dukes of Bouillon, and the town emerged as the capital of a sovereign duchy by 1678, when it was captured from the bishopric by the French army and given to the La Tour d'Auvergne family. The duchy was prized for its strategic location as "the key to the Ardennes" (as Vauban called it) and hence to France itself. It remained a quasi-independent protectorate, like Orange and Monaco, until 1795, when the Republican Army annexed it to France.

So I guess the bishop of Liege controlled it, but as duke of Bouillon?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Oh that's where you're from. Never mind.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JcDent posted:

I wonder how it feels to be a deposed noble these days...

Many of them continue to do quite well as hyperrich folks instead of aristos. Napoleon's great great grandnephew or whatever works for Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley or some other fraud-house.

compare to

Deffo some resemblance, although he probably plays it down.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Until the end of the EU, the collapse of western europe and rise of CYBERPUNK APOCALYPSE BONAPARTISM!

A man can dream.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Was it legally possible for a woman to be Holy Roman Empress? Asking for a friend.

(The friend is Angela Merkel.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Was it legally possible for a woman to be Holy Roman Empress? Asking for a friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Theresa

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I can provide commentary on this but couldn't (and can't) be arsed to do the whole post.

Well then kindly correct me if and when I gently caress up too badly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Until the end of the EU, the collapse of western europe and rise of CYBERPUNK APOCALYPSE BONAPARTISM!

A man can dream.

The band Scar Symmetry is making a triology of albums about that sort of thing right now. They call it the CYBERPOCALYPSE or something.

They also made an album about conspiracy theories. It's why I'm now the proud owner of a album cover showing a double-headed eagle holding a sword, surrounding an illuminaty-triangle. :shepface:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That sounds like an awesome but confusing door poster to have.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

it's not technically prohibited but since it had never been done before, Maria Theresa became Empress/Archduchess of Austria, her husband was elected Holy Roman Emperor, and even so Europe went to war over whether she could even become the Austrian thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Did someone ask for a First Crusade effortpost while I was tragically unable to poo poo up this thread? I can write a First Crusade effortpost, complete with gratuitous Charlton Heston.

I hope I'm not too late for a please please please. When I was in middle school I actually got a history book on the Crusades, not like a rigorous academic text but still a decent enough overview. I'd love to learn more.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I live up to my New Year's resolution to post do me a favor and tell me when I'm wrong about ships?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
If I had to be a tanker in WW2 how could I go past this?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

A Russian Soviet Guy Posts Pictures of Imperial Japan

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nice pictures, but that poster seems to be quite the butt.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

SeanBeansShako posted:

KPSS membership does not require sensitivity training.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Tied is not for everyone.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

LostCosmonaut posted:

The Warsaw Pact dissolved itself when it learned that Tied had been commissioned into the Soviet Army as a Commissar.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

If I live up to my New Year's resolution to post do me a favor and tell me when I'm wrong about ships?

No problem.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pity the baroque demonologist

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

This is literally the plot of Warhammer and other pulp fantasy where someone "collects the bad stuff in one place to aid recognition". Turns out, always backfires.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

LostCosmonaut posted:

If you have communism that lasts for more than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

well here's your first mistake

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

Shame on a priest who try to run game on a peasant

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Plebs buck wild with the witchcraft

I don't know if it's stricktly milhist, but how do they upgrade stuff that gets outdated while the item is in development? I mean, space tech future fighter F-22 had first flight in 1997 and entered service in 2005 - as one example. So how does the process of scooping out old Pentium II's or whatever and replacing them with new poo poo happen? Like, is there a time where a dedicated "let's no build an aircraft that will be instantly obsolete" guys steps his foot down and say "yo grandpa, we have something more than DOS now", and the development grinds to a halt? Or do they persevere and then develop and sell an expensive upgrade package?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In theory don't they do the electronics last? During early stages of development there's just a 'computer goes here' space on the design.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JcDent posted:

I don't know if it's stricktly milhist, but how do they upgrade stuff that gets outdated while the item is in development? I mean, space tech future fighter F-22 had first flight in 1997 and entered service in 2005 - as one example. So how does the process of scooping out old Pentium II's or whatever and replacing them with new poo poo happen? Like, is there a time where a dedicated "let's no build an aircraft that will be instantly obsolete" guys steps his foot down and say "yo grandpa, we have something more than DOS now", and the development grinds to a halt? Or do they persevere and then develop and sell an expensive upgrade package?

From what I've heard, NASA actually spent a lot of money in the later years of the space shuttle's career just tracking down legacy parts to replace the ones that broke. I imagine it's similar with military aircraft, with maybe a lot of stockpiling beforehand.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Lone Badger posted:

In theory don't they do the electronics last? During early stages of development there's just a 'computer goes here' space on the design.

Well, I figure that at least some of the BVR and whatever other acronymed capability depends on computers, so you can't just leave them out.

I'm just waiting for Cyrano to tell me how dead wrong I am about everything.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

From what I've heard, NASA actually spent a lot of money in the later years of the space shuttle's career just tracking down legacy parts to replace the ones that broke. I imagine it's similar with military aircraft, with maybe a lot of stockpiling beforehand.

Oh yeah, I've heard about bits and legacy stuff, like A-10 rewinging stuff. Supposedly the tools to make F-22 have been shelved (instead of scrapped), just in case.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"No F-22 parts, tooling or related items are being stored for the purpose of preserving the option of restarting F-22 production," Jennifer Cassidy, an Air Force spokeswoman, said in an email.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

Pentium 2s? Try a 486 or equivalent. Military/aerospace tech tends to be super conservative (and use special radiation-hardened parts and stuff).
Also it'll be running an RTOS, something like Integrity for example, not DOS or Windows.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
For most applications, you don't really need a modern processor or anything. Until fairly recently, the most common processor in the world was the 8088 (or something in that neighborhood) because you wouldn't need more than that to run a dishwasher or dryer.

Military hardware might have more extensive needs, but nothing that would require a sweet gaming rig-equivalent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

it's not technically prohibited but since it had never been done before, Maria Theresa became Empress/Archduchess of Austria, her husband was elected Holy Roman Emperor, and even so Europe went to war over whether she could even become the Austrian thing.

As I noted previously, Salic law (the law of the Franks back in the early middle ages) was a thing in Germany, which generally holds women can't inherit. It may not be technically prohibited but it would be a bit un-German, much as, I dunno, abolishing juries would be considered a bit off in countries with legal systems derived from English common law -

'But of Salic land no portion of the inheritance shall come to a woman: but the whole inheritance of the land shall come to the male sex' (hence the controversy over Maria Theresa).'

(Granted, Holy Roman Emperorship wasn't technically inherited, but I suspect the same thinking would apply)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't really swap out their 486es with modern parts, the old big transistors are a lot more radiation resistant for instance.

• Locked thread