Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I play games without any dice. I just throw models instead

same but only GW models

INTO THE TRASH!:pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BULBASAUR posted:

Like a true gentleman!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Clay-o-rama was a better game than AoS.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Like a true gentleman!

Wow that's some high level nerdery right there.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

Stayner was a visionary

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Disc wars by level99 games is the game so you! Chuck wooden discs at your enemies head.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

All minis games should have their combat mechanics replaced with Weapons & Warriors cannons and catapults

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Indolent Bastard posted:

Like a true gentleman!

This game has some of the most brutal hand to hand combat rules of any game I've ever played.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's the only reliable way to put paid to those blighters, old sport.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

any complaints i might have about the tity necrons are rendered null and void by

from the same company

Perfect for a 'stealer cult.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Absolutely correct. One of the big reasons I stopped playing 40k (along with assholes). Too much luck for me, especially considering the time, money and effort in building an army. I have nothing against games of chance, but wargames aren't the right place for it.

If you have to use dice in a game, I like the Castles of Burgundy way of using them, where it's designed that no matter what you roll, you can do something. Sure, your options can be limited by what you roll and when your turn is, but you're never poo poo out of luck like you are in 40k

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Wings of Glory is a decent example of a diceless system. Damage is done via a deck of cards with variable effects and damage values on them, but most of the unpredictability comes from having to pick three moves at once for each model. Leads to a very interesting game where you're almost guaranteed to suffer damage under an opponent's guns and have to outthink their manoeuvres.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Absolutely correct. One of the big reasons I stopped playing 40k (along with assholes). Too much luck for me, especially considering the time, money and effort in building an army. I have nothing against games of chance, but wargames aren't the right place for it.

If you have to use dice in a game, I like the Castles of Burgundy way of using them, where it's designed that no matter what you roll, you can do something. Sure, your options can be limited by what you roll and when your turn is, but you're never poo poo out of luck like you are in 40k

I think there's a difference between failing activation rolls and sitting on your rear end during the game (/hwg/ ranted about it happening in Lion Rampant) and "all of my squads missed" or whatever you're referring to in Hams. I'm more concerned in forgetting that I need to roll for something or some fiddly rule that I'm missing, But yeah, gently caress 40K rules.

On semi-related note:

Pretty little bastard. If only Mentors (I know its not their colors) had their own fun rules in some other fun ruleset

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JcDent posted:

some fiddly rule that I'm missing

Saga had loads of these too. We were constantly forgetting how many dice you could add to an attack, forgetting modifiers for assaults, or what the current effects of fatigue etc were being used for. Then there's of course counting and rounding defense dice and rolling to block wounds. I get how that works, but I always wanted it to do it where fails were deaths as opposed to successes being saves.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I don't like miniatures games without dice. The card flipping aspect is one reason I have no interest in Malifaux whatsoever. I know it's just another form of RNG but I really need the tactile feeling of dice rolling. I've played tons of wargames, and I've never had a problem with a dice-based system in any of them really. Yeah bad luck can gently caress you over, but that makes the outcomes less predictable and the moment to moment gameplay more exciting since anything could happen. I'd rather remember the time my 10 grots killed 5 Terminators in the shooting phase due to some insane luck as opposed to those 10 grots mathematically doing 1.5 wounds which the Terminators would save 86% of, leaving them untouched or whatever boring fixed probability stuff you want to talk about.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SRM posted:

I'd rather remember the time my 10 grots killed 5 Terminators in the shooting phase due to some insane luck as opposed to those 10 grots mathematically doing 1.5 wounds which the Terminators would save 86% of, leaving them untouched or whatever boring fixed probability stuff you want to talk about.

I heartily agree and gently caress mathammer, that the wound calculation part made me sick to my stomach.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

JcDent posted:

I heartily agree and gently caress mathammer, that the wound calculation part made me sick to my stomach.

oh no...

I've hit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Diceless combat doesn't have to mean you discard luck factors entirely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

Diceless combat doesn't have to mean you discard luck factors entirely.

I feel he's more put off by the less engaging turning of cards rather than the rush of rolling dice. I get his view, I just don't agree with it. I've played too many games where you roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save, re-roll and get no change in the game state; gently caress that noise. The joy of rolling the dice isn't worth all that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Combat without dice is without honour

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To me, a deck of cards is naught but a d52.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

I feel he's more put off by the less engaging turning of cards rather than the rush of rolling dice. I get his view, I just don't agree with it. I've played too many games where you roll to hit, roll to wound, roll to save, re-roll and get no change in the game state; gently caress that noise. The joy of rolling the dice isn't worth all that.
Yeah, I mean there's some lovely outliers I'm not really a fan of - overwatch in 6th/7th edition 40k generally being one of them, as 99% of the time it doesn't do anything in my games, at least with most of my armies.

Also:

Improbable Lobster posted:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I prefer games without dodge rolls, but that may be because I only play historicals in eras with bullets. Even an armor save is pointless for most infantry.

Just make it harder to hit them if that's the case.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Only if you shuffle after every 1-card draw. Otherwise, it's a dependent series of draws, instead of an independent one like repeated rolls of a fair die. Each draw affects the odds for the next draw, until you shuffle. You can build a lot of interesting probability curves and decision trees off of that mechanic.

I'm not saying I'm in love with Malifaux, mind you, or that I think a deck of cards is a better thing to use for a wargame RNG. Just, there are ways of generating randomness that don't use dice, and there are ways of injecting luck and probability curves and (to my mind most important) uncertainty into a wargame that don't involve pausing before and after every single action to check references to make sure you're rolling the right number of dice with the right modifiers, which even after a dozen or more games of Warhammer Fantasy, still accurately describes my experience with that game.

If you are going to use dice, I think it behooves you to use a dicerolling mechanism that creates a probability curve that suits the game. It's fine if sometimes my elite guys miss their shots, or sometimes those scrappy peasants get in a lucky shot, as long as the designer makes those instances appropriately rare.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
SRM, I have a really simple and engaging way for you to convert card-based randomization into a dice-based way, and the best part is that it involves more rolling!

Roll a d6. Assign 1-4 to a suit, reroll if it's a 5 or 6.

Roll a d6. If it's 1-2, then your next roll will be one of the bottom 6 cards of the suit. If it's 3-4, your next roll will be in the middle 6 cards of the suit. If it's 5-6, then you have a chance at the top card--but only if you roll a 6. Otherwise, you have to start this step over.

Then roll your final d6 to determine the final card. Mark down your final roll results on a paper, or simply lay out all the cards on a table so that you can leave a d6 on each one as you 'draw' it with your rolls. Obviously, if you roll that result in a subsequent roll before 'shuffling', then you should reroll.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

Yeah, I mean there's some lovely outliers I'm not really a fan of - overwatch in 6th/7th edition 40k generally being one of them, as 99% of the time it doesn't do anything in my games, at least with most of my armies.

Also:

How do you feel about bell curves?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
In terms of crazy-weird probabilities, I think Infinity's system is pretty cool. They have this sort of "The Price Is Right" mechanic where you and your opponent are both trying to get as high as you can without going over, but you're probably looking for different target numbers and rolling a different number of dice. The game is thus all about stacking the number of dice and the target numbers for those dice in your favor.

And one of the things I love about it is that re-rolls are exceedingly rare (and cost you a highly limited resource to use). Playing 40K where everybody and their brother has Preferred Enemy, Twin-Linked, Master Crafted, Feel No Pain, Reanimation Protocols, or whatever is ridiculous. It takes for loving ever to accomplish anything because there are absurdly common special rules that allow you to re-roll literally every roll in the game. Even the roll to go first ("Haha! Now I shall attempt to 'Steal The Initiative' from you!!!!"). Madness.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's more like 4d13, really.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess for me the frustration is in playing well and losing because the dice didn't go my way. What am I supposed to have learned from that? What should I have done differently? "Rolling better" isn't something I can implement into my strategy. I guess you can argue that it encourages you to try riskier things (grots vs termies) because, hey, it just might work. I still don't see that as playing the game well though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As a compromise everyone should just roll poker dice.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I actually super dig card-based resolution because in addition to having self-correcting effects for swinginess it also allows you to do cool stuff like retain secret "pre-rolled" stuff or hold rolls back or bait people with a facedown or whatever. Haven't seen many games that do cool stuff with them though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Rolling better" isn't something I can implement into my strategy.

Not with that attitude.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I think randomizers are needed to some extent in most games, but it depends on how their used to determine the swingyness. I feel like X-wing handles it well because whether or not you can not shoot at someone in the first place is mostly governed by skill (faking out with dials, with the exception of turrets). and so the luck factor is mitigated a lot in that game. It also has a token system where you can gain tokens to help mitigate it to some extent too .

spectralent posted:

I actually super dig card-based resolution because in addition to having self-correcting effects for swinginess it also allows you to do cool stuff like retain secret "pre-rolled" stuff or hold rolls back or bait people with a facedown or whatever. Haven't seen many games that do cool stuff with them though.

I'm actually working on a game like this where it's all about feinting and faking out your opponent.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pierzak posted:

Not with that attitude.

The dice know. They need to be rolled with vigor and humility, in a receptacle no smaller than one cubit in width, and no more than 1 and a half times its width in length. The sun must be allowed to shine upon the faces equally, warming them, and storing its vast benevolent energies within. When dice tumble, they must not be touched before they are ready. If it is the will of the dice that they fly out of the box and onto the floor, their roll shall stand unless thy carpet is deep. For each dice a pet devours, a dozen must take its place. Never roll the same dice twice for the same purpose.

Heed this, and the dice may serve you.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Battlecon: not a minis game (though I guess they could make minatures if they wanted to) but is a fighting game board game that you play pairs of cards to beat your enemy. Very fun, and not luck based at all.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If it is the will of the dice that they fly out of the box and onto the floor, their roll shall stand unless thy carpet is deep.
Heresy! Floor dice are anathema, and shall not be counted! It is known!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

this guy should see a doctor about his dickjetbike

this is :krad:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

any complaints i might have about the tity necrons are rendered null and void by

from the same company

also apparently they sell piles of loose skulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess for me the frustration is in playing well and losing because the dice didn't go my way. What am I supposed to have learned from that? What should I have done differently? "Rolling better" isn't something I can implement into my strategy. I guess you can argue that it encourages you to try riskier things (grots vs termies) because, hey, it just might work. I still don't see that as playing the game well though.

So what about things like X-COM ? Did you enjoy that game ?

Because the whole thing relies a hell of a lot on uncertainty and the most intense parts are the ones where your elite trooper missed his 95% shot and you have to scramble around to try and fix stuff.

That randomness just changes the way you need to plan ahead in the game in that it just means that you need a back up plan (or two) at all times and it most certainly makes you feel the whole war is much more dangerous. Sure it sucks when a lucky shot brings down one of your dudes but the game would not be the same without it's heavy RNG component.

It all just depends on how the game implements and presents all that stuff.