Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have a joystick. If I buy a cheap HOTAS can I use both so that I have extra buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
My updownleftright thrusters are bound to the thumb buttons on top my my joystick. Up/Down on the mouse thumb buttons seems fine to me.

E: lol nice avatar idiots

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yes, I have two joysticks hooked up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Big o'l eldritch abomination eye looking at you in that pic.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I could gently caress from this vantage point.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I finally decided to renew my stable of ships: sold off the Asp for a Cobra mkIII fitted for planetside stuff (SRV hangar, 16 tons of cargo space, Advanced and detailed scanners and 4 pulse lasers), and sold the Vulture for a Fer de Lance.

With the new hull mechanics and the fact that the PP doesn't blow ships automatically when at 0% anymore it was getting kinda painful to kill big ships with the beam/frag cannon Vulture; it's still a great combat ship, but time to kill was dramatically increased, when you blow their PP up they just stop moving most of the time and you have to spend a couple minutes beaming them up or use up a significant bunch of your frag cannon ammo, leading to more restocking trips.

Here is my shiny new FdL, the extra fuel tank and big scoop are for the return trip from Li Yong Rui land, I left them on because I really don't know what else to put in their place. Don't really want to spend the 15 millions for the 6A power plant, I hate SCBs with the delay and heat spike, and there's nothing else that actually helps in PvE combat besides maybe more hull reinforcements or an FSD interdictor?

In any case, it's a monster: 605 MJ of bi-weave shields and 845 armor with a couple hull reinforcements, and 300/400 speed/boost. 4 medium beams murder everything, the huge fuckoff cannon is just for when you really want that anaconda / FAS / Clipper dead right loving now, or for when the beams are cooling off, or to obliterate the occasional Sidewinder and giggle.

No cargo but it's going to be used as a combat ship anyways, scooping up the occasional canister of gold is useless at this point. I still have my mining Python if I ever feel the need to shuttle some space junk around.

I tell you it was a pain to come back to Xihe after the trip to Li Yong Rui territory, but the 15% discount is really worth it on big ships / big equipment. I saved 10 millions and rebuy is "only" 2.3 millions instead of the 2.75 shown on Coriolis.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

TomR posted:

Did you find a use for the second joystick's actual stick? I plan to leave mine unmapped since I can't think of when I would use it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

How did you get a black iPod?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Black Friday paintjob deal they ran.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Did you find a use for the second joystick's actual stick? I plan to leave mine unmapped since I can't think of when I would use it.
It actually works pretty well for lateral/ventral thrust if you increase the deadzone a bit.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Where the hell do you get Aisling Media Materials. I joined the Aisling empire and I see one of the goals is getting those but I can't find them.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
So, I'm thinking of buying one of the federal bricks for shits. Which out of the drop/assault/gunship will I regret the least?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Assault

And then Corvette :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

So, I'm thinking of buying one of the federal bricks for shits. Which out of the drop/assault/gunship will I regret the least?

The FAS is the clear victor here. The dropship makes a nice mining ship, though. The gunship is just poo poo, please avoid

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

The Assault Ship is a Vulture on steroids, it's probably the best ship in the game for players who enjoy Descent style ships. The only time I've ever disliked mine is when I have had to move it long distances.

The Dropship is balanced around a feature that isn't implemented yet (fighters). Might end up being a good babbys first carrier when they are implemented. Right now I'd avoid it.

The Gunship does a lot of damage on paper, but in practice you can't really utilize all those hardpoints due to how sluggish it is. Feels like flying one of the super large ships without any of the advantages they bring. If the idea of a medium sized gunboat is what appeals to you I'd recommend saving a bit more money and just getting a Python.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Libluini posted:

The FAS is the clear victor here. The dropship makes a nice mining ship, though. The gunship is just poo poo, please avoid

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Assault

And then Corvette :getin:

Thanks for the input. I figured it was the assault ship from what I remember reading in previous discussions. I suppose I was tempted by the many guns aspect of the FGS.

I'm not quite space rich enough to afford a corvette. But I am working on the rank for now.

Edit: ^ Yeah, currently in a decent python, was just looking for a change of pace without breaking the bank.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I stopped playing Elite when I ran out of fuel 40000LY from any inhabited system.

Who wants to come rescue me so I can buy the expansion?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, I use one stick to rotate the ship and the other to translate the ship.

Edit: Have a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOTu-4KanE

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

iRend posted:

I stopped playing Elite when I ran out of fuel 40000LY from any inhabited system.

There's a group called the fuel rats who do just this, you'll have to check the brown sea or google for them though, I'm phone posting.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

LCL-Dead posted:

To each their own, of course, but some of those control schemes made me hurt.

Where are you guys who are M&KB binding things like boost, chaff, heat sync or SCBs?

Where are your binds for Next closest hostile, target front or next target?

Where's your contextual FSD button, or are you using separate SC and Hyper buttons?

Where's your bind to switch weapon groups?

I run a cheap Logitech joystick so all movement (pitch/roll/yaw + all strafing up/down/left/right) are bound to the stick, along with boost and targeting controls. Everything else is grouped up towards the left side of my keyboard.

I have such fascinating binds to show you.

:spergin: http://imgur.com/a/1UnFB :spergin:

A lot of the settings using CTRL or ALT are holdovers from before I had headtracking, and needed a way to control the ship while looking around with the mouse. Otherwise almost everything fits into the left-hand area with scattered redundancy.

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 8, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

iRend posted:

Can't you just suicide your way back? Or are worldly possessions like exploration data that important to you?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zaardvark posted:

Coincidentally, I was in a doctor's office today, with nothing to read but Hello! magazines and Reader's Digest 'sample copies', which are like condensed (!) versions of Reader's Digest. It occurs to me that the only time I even remember Reader's Digest exists is when I'm seeing a doctor, which is, like, once every couple of years. How do they stay in business?

By paying teenagers peanuts per copy to deliver them. I know, I was one such teenager looking for extra cash.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LCL-Dead posted:

To each their own, of course, but some of those control schemes made me hurt.

Where are you guys who are M&KB binding things like boost, chaff, heat sync or SCBs?

Where are your binds for Next closest hostile, target front or next target?

Where's your contextual FSD button, or are you using separate SC and Hyper buttons?

Where's your bind to switch weapon groups?

I run a cheap Logitech joystick so all movement (pitch/roll/yaw + all strafing up/down/left/right) are bound to the stick, along with boost and targeting controls. Everything else is grouped up towards the left side of my keyboard.

Boost: Capslock
Chaff: C
Heatsink: V
FSD: H/J
Switch Weapon Groups: Mouse5
Flight Assist Off: Mouse4 (Hold, not Toggle)
Target Front: T
Next Target: Y
Previous Subsystem: [ (Usually six presses to powerplant :v: )
Next Subsystem: ]

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hi spacegoons, I started playing today. I've wanted this game for a long time!
My callsign is CDR Sapajou, I've barely any idea what I'm doing but I have the Horizons expansion and started off with the Sidewinder that came with it, so I'm in that system.
To mitigate the fact that I have no idea what I am doing, I am doing the tutorials. I am a veteran of some flying games and prefer using sticks to keyboard/mouse, so I'm using an XB1 controller.
If you happen to be playing and feel like telling me a little about what's up and down, I'd love to know. Thanks for all the info in the OP as well -- It's honestly a bit of a steep learning curve for the entirely uninitiated but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

iRend posted:

http://fuelrats.com/

They even have a scoreboard for this.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

iRend posted:

I'm curious now, what system are you trapped in anyway?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
As a part-time fuel rat when I'm cruising around bored, the rats thirst for crazy long range rescues. Because its cool as poo poo to rescue anyone more than 100lys from LHS 3447.

If you are an Australian player I'm game. If your not then I wouldn't want to run 40kly only to have instancing issues :)

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Have they ever said anything about using drones or shuttles to transfer fuel/ammo/cargo between outposts and large ships? My Clipper is just gathering rust because I want access to everything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone mentioned dying and exploration data and that reminded me of something. I was scanning the Batz system yesterday, got interdicted by a psycho NPC and killed. When I went back, everything I'd scanned before was still scanned. I finished up, went to drop the data off and I was only credited for the stuff I'd scanned after returning. So beware! You can only scan things once now, if you die you can't go back to get the data again!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Holy poo poo, AMD finally got thier poo poo together and released a fix for supercruise framerates in windows 10.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Someone mentioned dying and exploration data and that reminded me of something. I was scanning the Batz system yesterday, got interdicted by a psycho NPC and killed. When I went back, everything I'd scanned before was still scanned. I finished up, went to drop the data off and I was only credited for the stuff I'd scanned after returning. So beware! You can only scan things once now, if you die you can't go back to get the data again!

No, that's a bug. It has shown up in the past quite often. Many, many explorers have complained about this and the last I heard was Frontier is "working on it".

Just be glad you didn't suffer the database bug erasing scans and turning the scanned objects into unscannable black voids. That happened once or twice, too. :shepface:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dabir posted:

I lost my shot at cashing in SagA* that way. :(

It's pretty ridiculous that somehow the galaxy knows everything you've scanned after you die, but you can't sell any of that data from deep space.

On the other hand, I checked the other day, and a bunch of my old systems have flipped back to "undiscovered," despite me still being able to pull the system view up. Maybe I should make a return trip!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Asmodai_00 posted:

I'm curious now, what system are you trapped in anyway?

I'm reinstalling and using 14gb of my precious Australian metered data just to tell you this.

I'll check out The Fuel Rats too, thanks guys.

e:

Arach posted:

As a part-time fuel rat when I'm cruising around bored, the rats thirst for crazy long range rescues. Because its cool as poo poo to rescue anyone more than 100lys from LHS 3447.

If you are an Australian player I'm game. If your not then I wouldn't want to run 40kly only to have instancing issues :)

Well hello there. You're also already on my friends list! How convenient.

e2:

I am near
PLOXU BE-1 A9-0
56,779 LY from LHS-3447

e3: Wow, I have 3 rats headed my way. This is just silly.

iRend fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 8, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was thinking about Powerplay lately, can anybody explain to me why it's constructed as such a grind?

I mean, the blanket rewards for everybody in controlled space are good and encourage you to travel around for specific tasks, and the personal rewards for being affiliated with a power are kinda cool, but the fact that you have to haul 10 tons at a time (or pay through your nose) and/or interdict dozens upon dozens of enemy ships only to have your progress halved every week kills all the enjoyment of doing it

If I could work on it on my spare time, knowing that eventually I could get to some reward (just like with ship progression, some day I'll be able to afford that Anaconda!), I'd be willing to invest time in it, but since I can't/won't play every day or even every week I just feel I'd waste time only to have my progress basically reset unless I keep grinding and grinding.

I literally cannot think of a scenario in which resetting player progress is good for a videogame...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TorakFade posted:

I was thinking about Powerplay lately, can anybody explain to me why it's constructed as such a grind?

I mean, the blanket rewards for everybody in controlled space are good and encourage you to travel around for specific tasks, and the personal rewards for being affiliated with a power are kinda cool, but the fact that you have to haul 10 tons at a time (or pay through your nose) and/or interdict dozens upon dozens of enemy ships only to have your progress halved every week kills all the enjoyment of doing it

If I could work on it on my spare time, knowing that eventually I could get to some reward (just like with ship progression, some day I'll be able to afford that Anaconda!), I'd be willing to invest time in it, but since I can't/won't play every day or even every week I just feel I'd waste time only to have my progress basically reset unless I keep grinding and grinding.

I literally cannot think of a scenario in which resetting player progress is good for a videogame...

You basically nailed it. Powerplay would be good if it wasn't such a massive grind requiring excessive commitment to build and maintain rep. It would improve PP immensely if they slashed the requirements by a large percentage and reduced the decay.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Shine posted:

You basically nailed it. Powerplay would be good if it wasn't such a massive grind requiring excessive commitment to build and maintain rep. It would improve PP immensely if they slashed the requirements by a large percentage and reduced the decay.

:agreed: and they can nerf the paycheck for all I care. Make the bonuses and special items better and remove most of the decay and I'd be happy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Shine posted:

Yeah I was reading about this and thought it sounded like a really cool feature I wanted to check out until I read about how you had to maintain your rep.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mike the TV posted:

:agreed: and they can nerf the paycheck for all I care. Make the bonuses and special items better and remove most of the decay and I'd be happy.
Didn't they only add the payment at the last minute? I'm pretty sure the original idea was that you'd just do it for free because reasons.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One thing that would help powerplay is if the decay happened gradually throughout the week, like perhaps only 5% a day. That would be easy enough to keep on top of, and you could even get a surplus over a week of 10% instead of needing to get back 50% every cycle.
The rewards also are not worth it. Even the old metric of Prismatic Shields isn't nearly as useful, as Bi-Weaves are amazing shields. The grind for the pay can be done much quicker if you actually do other grinding which will be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pilchenstein posted:

Didn't they only add the payment at the last minute? I'm pretty sure the original idea was that you'd just do it for free because reasons.

Yes, there was this element along with the top spot only allowing one (1) person up there. We don't know if that one was true because Frontier changed it before it went live (it was in the Powerplay beta).

Powerplay is probably the easiest thing to point to that's earned :frontear:, it was like they developed it and kept adding mechanics to it amongst the employees playing it in their office and lost sight that it was supposed to be fun. Like they looked at it with such a narrow FOV that nobody asked if overall it was fun. Pile in the compromises they made and you end up with Powerplay, a super grind that if you ignore it won't effect you.

• Locked thread