Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

The West Point was one of those big liners right?

Yep. Her historical counterpart survived the war but wrecked off the Canaries while being towed in a bad storm in 1994. You can still see the wreck at low tide on Fuerteventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Koesj posted:

No I mean that if you want to engage in a discussion about your work with jaded historians you can go there.

Sorry, appreciate your concern. Ramblings....?

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Drone posted:

Bored, so I copied the list of variant rules options for the Sealion scenario from the DC:WtP manual, since I suppose it's relevant to the conversation.

Appreciate that. I could have commented a lot on those variables but I'd rather not interfere more with the subject in hand.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Happy one month of being at war, everyone! :toot:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Drone posted:

Not quite as exciting as our last one month anniversary. But we are at least doing noticeably better in the Philippines.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Nice picture!

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

The S-38 is having a good day.

At first I thought: Aha, that Lt. Dempsey! This officer already before the war had a pretty good understanding of the problems with the Mark X torpedoes. No, not the pistol igniters (no magnetic igniters on the Mark X), but internal leakages which made them run deeper than their depth-settings. He even informed the Cavite Yard about his findings but no action was taken. When I checked I found that S-38 wasn't Dempsey's boat, after all. S-37 was.

Hopefully, we shall soon hear from her, too. Sorry about that....

fredleander fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 7, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Drone posted:

We'll be at Los Angeles by Christmas!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I found the Sealion talk on the previous page super interesting. Did the Germans ever really have a plausible win point for the war? Could they have conquered all of mainland Europe, not invaded Russian during Winter, won in Northern Africa and then just peaced out of there until they got their nukes working for Britain?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ikasuhito posted:

Not quite as exciting as our last one month anniversary. But we are at least doing noticeably better in the Philippines.

I'm doing much better across the board really - apart from the much higher plane losses - there is still no real confirmation of what has been sunk at Pearl Harbor, so I've either been very unlucky there (again) or the Americans are pulling off a masterstroke of censorship and hiding the loss of their ships.

The enemy carriers are hiding, but while the Kido Butai needs a couple of weeks in drydock to clear their damage and replace lost planes - I have to hope they can do this before the Enterprise pops up. the next danger stage is when I start loading troops from the Philippines for the invasion of Java - this is where I did a lot of damage to the Japanese in my game, and I want to limit my ship losses for this phase.

I just need to clean up the last bits of resistance in the north first. There are no real troops in the southern islands, so I can pick them off as I go.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I found the Sealion talk on the previous page super interesting. Did the Germans ever really have a plausible win point for the war? Could they have conquered all of mainland Europe, not invaded Russian during Winter, won in Northern Africa and then just peaced out of there until they got their nukes working for Britain?

Germany wasn't going to get the bomb before Britain.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Well, they invaded Russia in June, not winter. But yeah, the Russian winters (and in particular the muddy pre/post-winter seasons that are unique to that part of Eurasia) were completely underestimated by the Germans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They needed a lot more luck/wins to have even a hope of winning the war in its entirety. Aside from Russia, they controlled all of mainland Europe apart from Switzerland, Sweden, parts of Turkey and Portugal/Spain (although Spain was friendly with them). Not invading Russia is way deep into gay black Hitler territory. "Winning" North Africa would've been a lot easier with more air power devoted to that front, making it safer to transport supplies over the mediterranean and doing more to prevent the RN from resupplying as quickly as they did irl.

If they somehow manage to prevent war with Russia and the US, I'd say they could've peaced out for some time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Well, they invaded Russia in June, not winter. But yeah, the Russian winters (and in particular the muddy pre/post-winter seasons that are unique to that part of Eurasia) were completely underestimated by the Germans.

Was it '41 or '42 that was the worst in recent history as well? Not destiny-changing, but doesn't help their situation at all.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If they somehow manage to prevent war with Russia and the US, I'd say they could've peaced out for some time.

Yeah, if they had beaten the British Empire in Africa, cut the Suez canal, then U-boated mainland Britain to starvation, they could have gotten a peace treaty - Vichy France would have been an "ally", and they could have focused all their efforts on Russia in 1942....
....And still have gotten their heads pounded in. Because they went to war with goddamn Russia!.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

No, they were pretty much hosed from the start.

Which isn't all that surprising when you get into some of the more academic literature on the subject - the Nazi leadership was such a bunch of bumbling clowns it's an honest-to-god miracle they ever got anything done at all. The German economy from the 1930's onwards was basically run as a gigantic pyramid scheme.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 8, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If they could have avoided war with Russia, then I think they'd have been able to get some kind of peace deal that was favorable, though I bet the war would have continued for far longer than 1945 if that happened. The Nazi state would not have been able to sustain itself in peacetime though... its massive budget and entire economic system was based on an unsustainable model of loot and plunder that would not have been able to continue over long-term periods of peace. And those things were what kept the Nazis tremendously popular among the people. The German consumer economy proper wasn't even really put on a wartime footing until around late '42 or early '43, aside from having to do without certain food imports like bananas or coffee.

Fortunately war with Russia was inevitable. If Hitler hadn't started it, Stalin eventually would have. And still pushed the Nazis' poo poo in.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

If they could have avoided war with Russia, then I think they'd have been able to get some kind of peace deal that was favorable, though I bet the war would have continued for far longer than 1945 if that happened.

Possibly, but then they wouldn't have been the Nazis. Huge territorial expansion to the east was essential to their plans from the start.

EDIT: For anyone interested in this, there's a really great archived thread on the subject:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541449

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 8, 2016

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

There are no real troops in the southern islands, so I can pick them off as I go.

What (how) do you know about the US troops in the southern islands.....

Loggie
Apr 29, 2009
Can I have the Zuikaku as my lucky ship again, please?

Also grey, why is the British navy still floating? I feel like your not doing your English duty to build spectacular reefs!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Drone posted:

If they could have avoided war with Russia, then I think they'd have been able to get some kind of peace deal that was favorable, though I bet the war would have continued for far longer than 1945 if that happened. The Nazi state would not have been able to sustain itself in peacetime though... its massive budget and entire economic system was based on an unsustainable model of loot and plunder that would not have been able to continue over long-term periods of peace. And those things were what kept the Nazis tremendously popular among the people. The German consumer economy proper wasn't even really put on a wartime footing until around late '42 or early '43, aside from having to do without certain food imports like bananas or coffee.

Fortunately war with Russia was inevitable. If Hitler hadn't started it, Stalin eventually would have. And still pushed the Nazis' poo poo in.

Oh really? I would have assumed a Russian attack on a defensive Wehrmacht at its 1940 strength would have been goddamn awful for the Russians? (I understand an answer to this is offense was significantly stronger than defense in WW2 and if that's the answer, fair enough)

And is there an alternate where the Nazis just don't even try to engage in operation Sealion at all and attack Russia in March of 1940, giving them a good 6 months without Winter substantially making GBS threads up their army?

I should probably take this to the history threads but I literally know nothing other than how actual warfare works in the 1940s so I'd probably irritate everyone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh really? I would have assumed a Russian attack on a defensive Wehrmacht at its 1940 strength would have been goddamn awful for the Russians? (I understand an answer to this is offense was significantly stronger than defense in WW2 and if that's the answer, fair enough)

The "Russia attacks Germany" scenario assumes war between the two either in 1942 or 1943.

Russia was in the middle of a massive rearmament and reorganization in 1941 when the Germans attacked, and that's part of why Germany made as much as ground as they did. A year sooner and the Red Army wouldn't have been as gutted and disorganized. A year later and the reorganization would have already been completed. No German-first-strike at all and the reorganization completes anyway and Stalin goes first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yorkshire Tea posted:

And is there an alternate where the Nazis just don't even try to engage in operation Sealion at all and attack Russia in March of 1940, giving them a good 6 months without Winter substantially making GBS threads up their army?

Well first, in March of 1940, the Nazis hadn't even invaded France or the Low Countries yet. And they never really even attempted Sealion, it was never anything more than a plan on paper.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Drone posted:

Well first, in March of 1940, the Nazis hadn't even invaded France or the Low Countries yet. And they never really even attempted Sealion, it was never anything more than a plan on paper.

My apologies, I meant May 1940 which was the planned start date and got my wires crossed somehow. (Assuming the Balkans are avoided or goes better)

Edit: Again, this is all from the perspective of a guy who in another world didn't have an incompetent school that let him do history aged 17-18. I ended up an economics postgrad student instead and whilst I don't regret it, I always wonder.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loggie posted:

Can I have the Zuikaku as my lucky ship again, please?

Also grey, why is the British navy still floating? I feel like your not doing your English duty to build spectacular reefs!

Can't give you a ship that's already taken.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also, the "Russia attacks Germany" scenario comes to us from... the Nazis themselves, so it is a little suspect. Considering Stalin had achieved most of his territorial goals through the MR pact and was subsidizing the Germans through cheap oil and grain, he probably felt relatively secure from the Germans.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

sullat posted:

Also, the "Russia attacks Germany" scenario comes to us from... the Nazis themselves, so it is a little suspect. Considering Stalin had achieved most of his territorial goals through the MR pact and was subsidizing the Germans through cheap oil and grain, he probably felt relatively secure from the Germans.

Well, the red army was gearing up for an offensive doctrine style if I recall correctly so you could say a thing or two there but I don't think Stalin was going for an immediate attack as opposed to simply being able to threaten with one.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
In this game, does 1 'casualty' represent one man?

Here's why I ask: I'm rereading Grey's last WiTP LP and he sinks a Japanese troop ship or something, and the game reports '35 casualties', but Grey comments 'That's 350 dead troops right there.'

Does that mean 1 casualty = 10 troops or did Grey :angel: uncharacteristically :angel: misspeak?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rexim posted:

Here's why I ask: I'm rereading Grey's last WiTP LP and he sinks a Japanese troop ship or something, and the game reports '35 casualties', but Grey comments 'That's 350 dead troops right there.'

Does that mean 1 casualty = 10 troops or did Grey :angel: uncharacteristically :angel: misspeak?

That was probably a typo on Grey's part.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Defiantly a typo. Speaking of casualties I wonder how the game calculates tropical diseases because I'm pretty sure it must because grognards are grognards.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Rexim posted:

One thing to note is that the actual number of casualties isn't what's important (mechanically speaking), it's the number of squads disabled or destroyed.

SIGSEGV posted:

Defiantly a typo. Speaking of casualties I wonder how the game calculates tropical diseases because I'm pretty sure it must because grognards are grognards.

It definitely represents malaria in certain areas, but I'm not on my computer with the manual at the moment so I can't find out how right now.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 8, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its really dull in the air – this is the afternoon already.

Just as well I planned for a quiet day and ordered an offensive in China!

A entire Corps surrenders here.

We get closer to cutting this rail line.

This is my town.

The main force arrives at Changsha, and the battle begins. – I would be better with the whole force, but that's how it goes.

The men in Manilla need a rest, but they hold off the enemy well today.

Lots of good ground combat in China, but now we have to wait for all those troops to advance forwards again. I need to rest the Manilla troops.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SIGSEGV posted:

Troops in certain hex bands representing the tropics cannot recover disruption/fatigue

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Troops in certain hex bands representing the tropics cannot recover disruption/fatigue

That's a surprisingly simple and ungrog way of handling that.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

SIGSEGV posted:

That's a surprisingly simple and ungrog way of handling that.

I only like my games if they simulate how many digits each of my soldiers have, so that I can freeze them off individually :colbert:.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rexim posted:

I had always figured that the initial casualties were the dead from the torpedo strike itself. The rest going down with their ship.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A White Guy posted:

I only like my games if they simulate how many digits each of my soldiers have, so that I can freeze them off individually :colbert:.

A true grog game also tracks toes, the ears and dong with its freezing off module.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That's more a WITE thing, WITP is more tropical trauma than winter. Russia, meanwhile.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If you can't invade empty alaskan islands and have your soldiers freeze their dongs off after staying in landing craft for three hours while battleships shell a penguin colony then I'm not sure anyone would want to play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SIGSEGV posted:

If you can't invade empty alaskan islands and have your soldiers freeze their dongs off after staying in landing craft for three hours while battleships shell a penguin colony then I'm not sure anyone would want to play this game.

See, that's what happens when you model fingers and toes like people ask. With grogs, it's always a slippery slope to dongs.