Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Drone posted:

Come on Asmodee, buy GW. Then give the IPs to FFG.

Asmodee would rather buy Settlers of Catan than Games Workshop.

Without any sarcasm, that's a way better investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As many, many other people have pointed out in this thread, their sales aren't completely dreadful but they could be doing so, SO much better with the IP they control.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Games Workshop does Business in Japan? That would be a sight to see.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drone posted:

Also I don't really understand the whole nerdargument of "nuh uh, B5 is better! nuh uh, DS9 is better!" Guess what? It is possible to like both of them despite their similarities!

That's what I'm saying. It seems silly to like only one of the two when they're the same sort of "feel".

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Games Workshop does Business in Japan? That would be a sight to see.

There is like that one guy in Japan that has a large and awesome Imperial Fists army. I think that's about it:

But yeah, I wonder what the overall health of mini wargames in general, and board/tabletop games in general is. How that growth / decline is related to the decline in sales for GW.
I would imagine the overall industry is up, tabletop wargaming is steady/slight growth, and GW is down.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I assume that wargaming in general is doing fine, judging by the recent (and ongoing) proliferation of them. Some of that might be Kickstarter's influence, but I don't think so many established companies would continue to add lines if the well were dry.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Hey boom boom boom or whoever can answer, I'm a little concerned-

What are gundums made out of, in the shows I mean? Is it like a space age superplastic or something or is it all metal?

When i see these dioramas with gundums rusting(?) in the water and kids crawling over them and diving off them and whatevs I think "I hope those kids have had their tetanus shots"

And Star Wars is awesome and I really liked the new movie and want a gf like Rey so if anyone knows someone like that, send digits this way tia

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LordAba posted:

But yeah, I wonder what the overall health of mini wargames in general, and board/tabletop games in general is. How that growth / decline is related to the decline in sales for GW.
I would imagine the overall industry is up, tabletop wargaming is steady/slight growth, and GW is down.

I was under the general assumption based on what others have said that the last ten years or so have been a real renaissance for miniatures/wargaming, and traditional gaming in general.

Also as others have pointed out, not all markets are America either. Tabletop gaming has generally been strong in Europe for quite some time now.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Garak is loving amazing, followed by Odo and Quark.
Sisco(?) is loving atrocious and can eat a bag of dicks.
Voyager is dumb; TNG is cringe making but Patrick Stewart rules.
Watch Stargate or Transformers Prime, instead.

P.S. SHUT UP WHESLEY!!!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Irate Tree posted:

P.S. SHUT UP WHESLEY!!!

"Cringe making" definitely sounds much more like Stargate than TNG.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Irate Tree posted:

P.S. SHUT UP WHESLEY!!!
TFP is pretty okay but I completely did not expect that to pop out of a post

Voyager is so bad, Voyager killed Star Trek

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

"Cringe making" definitely sounds much more like Stargate than TNG.

Have you heard the dialogue from TNG? It's like the show is actively trying to make your ears bleed; especially when it comes to people trying to talk about their 'touchy, feely, feelings.'

Spiderdrake posted:

TFP is pretty okay but I completely did not expect that to pop out of a post

I just have a massive hard on for Frank Welker.

Also, someone needs to use Peter Cullen for a villain again. Venger was loving boss.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 8, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Irate Tree posted:

Have you heard the dialogue from TNG? It's like the show is actively trying to make your ears bleed; especially when it comes to people trying to talk about their 'touchy, feely, feelings.'

Fuuuck me my ears are bleeding and they just won't stop :cry:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You seemed to have missed the part where i said that Patrick Stewart is awesome :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

P.S. SHUT UP WHESLEY!!!

Everyone seems to have missed that DS9 had the best Klingon character ever, General Martok

Also the episode where Weyoun turned around when Dukat was talking about statues and gratitude, and finally realised he wasn't just your average political megalomaniac, he was batshit insane, fabbo.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Star trek sucks

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Irate Tree posted:

P.S. SHUT UP WHESLEY!!!

I don't know when the last time you actually watched Stargate was, but it is pretty rough. Don't get me wrong, it is good when it gets its stride and it has some amazing episodes (the time loop one is awesome) but if you haven't seen it in a while please go back and watch season 1 again before recommending it to anyone.

I talked it up to my wife and partway into season 1 I had to turn it off and apologize. I am really surprised it made it through those first episodes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ashcans posted:

I talked it up to my wife and partway into season 1 I had to turn it off and apologize. I am really surprised it made it through those first episodes.

I couldn't make it past the first season either despite having friends who are really into it. Do they ever discover more planets that aren't just British Columbia In Space?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drone posted:

I couldn't make it past the first season either despite having friends who are really into it. Do they ever discover more planets that aren't just British Columbia In Space?

In the last couple seasons they make it all the way to ye olde England in space!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dr. Phildo posted:

What are gundums made out of, in the shows I mean? Is it like a space age superplastic or something or is it all metal?

When i see these dioramas with gundums rusting(?) in the water and kids crawling over them and diving off them and whatevs I think "I hope those kids have had their tetanus shots"

And Star Wars is awesome and I really liked the new movie and want a gf like Rey so if anyone knows someone like that, send digits this way tia

GUNDANIUM, DUHH

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

LordAba posted:

There is like that one guy in Japan that has a large and awesome Imperial Fists army. I think that's about it:

Hmm, models are popular in Japan. Really popular. GW style stuff not so much, because as Boom Boom is happy to share with us, Gunpla is utterly superior when it comes to what you're actually going to get most of the time. And GW's aesthetic isn't exactly what the market wants.

That said, there are shops that sell GW. I don't know of any real "trad games" shops in the sense that we would know it, but a restaurant I went to up in the mountains had an expat german owner who proudly displayed his Skaven and CSM in a display case. What I do know of is mostly expats, and european expats at that, forming clubs with maybe a few locals. I sometimes purchase stuff from a shop the next island over that is primarily GW- I think its more a club with an online store/group ordering from distributors than anything else though.

One of the larger, organized gaming clubs on that island, despite being primarily GW gamers, more or less abandoned it when it got Sigmar'd, at least according to the blog posts I read. WMH and Malifaux are not common but are sold and have some support/translations.

Frostgrave has a full Japanese translation done and some support.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I sort of assume that any GW market in Japan is sustained by westerners living over there (probably goony military guys) who want to keep up on their hobbies. Or maybe some sort of reverse anime nerd who is super into western media and spends his time posting pictures of AOS models on the local Gundam facebook group.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Dr. Phildo posted:

I'm not as big an expert as boom boom boom, but...

In the original UC timeline, most mobile suits are made of materials similar to modern MBTs and armor of the era when the show was created -- mostly steel with limited titanium construction, with the Gundam itself being built, I believe, of a special titanium alloy developed on the moon referred to as "Lunar titanium". Again, most other suits are generally steel in construction (maybe some depleted uranium armor in the later created shows, not sure.

In the UC timeline, Gundam is suppose to be an acronym for the OS or Human Interface Device that allows the pilot to use the mobile suit and is only ever seen in like the first or second episode when the Gundam boots up for the first time.

I think every other show has some variation of "lunar titanium". Only Gundam Wing calls it "Gundanium" or "Gundarium" or something stupid like that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Drone posted:

Not really, although they do occasionally change settings and splash out the filming budget to be in a desert or a forest or something.

Mostly the later seasons tend to improve in terms of story and writing, especially once it gets into them seriously trying to engage with the other advanced races of the galaxy and less about, well, basically turning up in a awkward caricature of some historical earth culture and farting around being superior to them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
TNG at its worst is a horrible, horrible slog of a soap opera. At its best, it's a neat piece of TV theater.

As for DS9, Season 1 is indeed a bit terrible, but they do quite quickly cut out all the dumb bajoran fairy tale episodes so it gets better in that regard.

Do prepare weed for the space jumanji episode though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dr. Phildo posted:

Depends on the suit. In the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the Gundam was made out of lunar titanium which was a tremendously stronger material than what other MSes were made out of at the time. Suits prior to it were made out of alloys of steel. Robots in this storyline continued to be made out of titanium alloys for about 40 years in-universe until somebody made a ceramic composite that was cheaper but lighter (because beam weapons didn't care about how strong your armor was, but being faster allowed you to avoid them, and ballistic weapons had grown out of favor).

In Gundam Wing, the grunts were made out of a titanium alloy and the Gundams themselves were made out of a super alloy called Gundanium from which they got their name.

In Gundam Build Fighters, they're made of ABS plastic because they're literally model kits.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
All I'm hearing is the negligence of parents letting their dang kids crawl over rusty gundums. If not rusty, then there's still sharp bits. Don't jump off them into the lake, you'll just cut the heck out of your feet

Has anyone made the diorama of kids injuring themselves on rusty giant robots

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Have you never gone swimming in a quarry or a lake? People dump all kinds of weird poo poo into the water, and kids play on it without major consequence all the time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dr. Phildo posted:

All I'm hearing is the negligence of parents letting their dang kids crawl over rusty gundums. If not rusty, then there's still sharp bits. Don't jump off them into the lake, you'll just cut the heck out of your feet

I think three quarters of Gundam pilots are kids, so really this seems pretty low down on the child-endangerment scale for the universe.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashcans posted:

I think three quarters of Gundam pilots are kids, so really this seems pretty low down on the child-endangerment scale for the universe.

the other 1/4 are amnesiacs in masks

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. Phildo posted:

Gnoll's right but this reminds me of the chill 40k picture of the kids playing next to the Orc Titan. There's even a tiny chalk pictures painted on it. :3: I need to find some appropriate models for the tiny kids so I can make a diorama just like that but using a Gundam.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Depending on the scale you can almost certainly find some appropriate miniatures from the model train world. There's a scale train group near me with an awesome layout that includes stuff like kids fishing off a bridge and playing ball and stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice. I'll look into it. I can get this diorama done by 2020.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dr. Phildo posted:

You find lithesome teen boys attractive?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'll have no mean words spoken on Rey she is lovely.

As an aside, if anyone can find 1:35 scale children in pain please let me know. Maybe just sad looking at least

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. I'll look into it. I can get this diorama done by 2020.

Regular Gundams are 1:144 scale, right? So you could use N scale train accessories. They would be a little small (N is around 1:160) but it wouldn't be too bad. If you use a bigger model you could also look at HO (1:87) or O (1:45) scale train stuff.

Here are a couple sites with N-scale stuff. There is actually a dizzying array of this stuff, including 'Kids having snowball fight' and 'people mooning passing train', so you can look around and really put together basically anything you like.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dr. Phildo posted:

As an aside, if anyone can find 1:35 scale children in pain please let me know. Maybe just sad looking at least

:stare:

But anyways, the Cryx Nightmare warjack kit comes with a small brick column and a little girl hiding behind it - the kit can be posed to have Nightmare with one hand on the column and sort of surveying the area while the girl hides behind it. You can buy the item directly off PP's webstore, but it costs 1 buck plus shipping. http://store.privateerpress.com/nightmarescaredgirl.aspx

I'm planning on getting Nightmare to use in Cryx, but repurposing the column/girl for Malifaux, on Montresor's base.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking more holding knees after falling over and such. Got a gundum I can dioramise with playing children

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dr. Phildo posted:

Metal. Some Mobile Suits are specifically made of a fictional alloy called Luna Titanium. I guess the other ones are just made of real life metals.

edit, oh dang, I've been shown up

YF19pilot posted:

I'm not as big an expert as boom boom boom, but...

In the original UC timeline, most mobile suits are made of materials similar to modern MBTs and armor of the era when the show was created -- mostly steel with limited titanium construction, with the Gundam itself being built, I believe, of a special titanium alloy developed on the moon referred to as "Lunar titanium". Again, most other suits are generally steel in construction (maybe some depleted uranium armor in the later created shows, not sure.

In the UC timeline, Gundam is suppose to be an acronym for the OS or Human Interface Device that allows the pilot to use the mobile suit and is only ever seen in like the first or second episode when the Gundam boots up for the first time.

I think every other show has some variation of "lunar titanium". Only Gundam Wing calls it "Gundanium" or "Gundarium" or something stupid like that.

In Zeta Gundam they use a variant of Luna Titanium called Gundarium. And the acronym thing is actually from Gundam SEED, the CE timeline.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dr. Phildo posted:

A lot of people called Rey boring, or a Mary Sue, but I really liked her. I'm not sure why, but something about the story of a mechanically inclined teen with neglectful parents who gets thrust into a space conflict and turns out to be not only an amazing piloting prodigy but also a nascent space psychic, and battles a masked young man who is secretly a family member of one of the teen's shipmates really appeals to me.

• Locked thread