Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snoke is extremely lame so I'm going to guess he's a crappy second-rate Sith no one cared about trying to play the part of looming archvillain now the big boys like Sheev and Vader aren't around. It's interesting his scars match up so closely with Vader's though, I doubt he's going to have any direct relation to him, but as he's basically a hosed up dessicated mash of of Vader and Sheev in appearance I'd be suprised if it's not significant in some respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Plagueis is mentioned in the prequels at least once, possibly a few times. So if they aren't completely disowning the prequels, its a possibility. The whole thing between Plagueis and Palpatine is told in much more detail in the EU, but its not like Plagueis doesn't exist at all in the films.

He's talked about for like 5 minutes right? Snokes music is supposed to be opera theme during that scene too :tinfoil: I still think Snoke is just going to be some evil mysterious villian, probably Sith, with no real ties to anything much like the Emperor was in the original series.

Serf
May 5, 2011

greatn posted:

Captain Tanaka. I promise I knew that from memory

*pushes glasses up on nose*
Actually it's Panaka. I don't know how I know that, but I do.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

greatn posted:

Captain Tanaka. I promise I knew that from memory

Panaka. :spergin:

e: drat you Serf

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Snoke is extremely lame so I'm going to guess he's a crappy second-rate Sith no one cared about trying to play the part of looming archvillain now the big boys like Sheev and Vader aren't around. It's interesting his scars match up so closely with Vader's though, I doubt he's going to have any direct relation to him, but as he's basically a hosed up dessicated mash of of Vader and Sheev in appearance I'd be suprised if it's not significant in some respect

I like the idea that there can be powerful force users dark or light, that are neither sith or Jedi and have their own traditions and dogmas. I hope he's that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
He's still less memorable.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

hemale in pain posted:

He's talked about for like 5 minutes right? Snokes music is supposed to be opera theme during that scene too :tinfoil: I still think Snoke is just going to be some evil mysterious villian, probably Sith, with no real ties to anything much like the Emperor was in the original series.

This is what Andy Serkis (who plays Snoke) thinks too:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/02/star-wars-force-awakens-maz-kanata-supreme-leader-snoke-exclusive

quote:

Although there was much speculation about who Snoke might turn out to be (one popular theory was that he’d turn out to be a Sith Lord known from the prequels as Darth Plagueis) he actually turns out to be … just Snoke.

Serkis said the character was aware of the events from the earlier films but was a new addition to the storyline.

“Supreme Leader Snoke is quite an enigmatic character, and strangely vulnerable at the same time as being quite powerful,” Serkis says. “Obviously he has a huge agenda. He has suffered a lot of damage. As I said, there is a strange vulnerability to him, which belies his true agenda, I suppose.”

It’s also clear from the character’s scarred, cavernous face why prosthetic make-up wasn’t an option. As Serkis explained before anyone outside the film saw Snoke, it could only have been played through motion-capture. “The scale of him, for instance, is one reason,” Serkis said. LHe is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design — you couldn’t have gotten there with prosthetics. It’s too extreme. Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone structure and facial structure. You could never have done it [in real life.]”

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

*pushes glasses up on nose*
Actually it's Panaka. I don't know how I know that, but I do.

Well that proves I didn't look it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I doubt they would have given Serkis the full story even if they have plans for Snoke to be Plagueis or a Vader clone later on. Its not like it would change his performance any in Force Awakens, at least not in any way I can think of.

I'm sure they would have anticipated this kind of questioning and why set up Serkis to have to lie to the press for years? Its plausible deniability.

Serf
May 5, 2011

At least Amidala says his name onscreen at some point in the movie. I don't think guys like Sio Bibble or Lobot ever get named onscreen.

Heck, I don't think I knew that Captain Panaka's replacement in AotC was named Typho until I saw his action figure.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Basebf555 posted:

I doubt they would have given Serkis the full story even if they have plans for Snoke to be Plagueis or a Vader clone later on. Its not like it would change his performance any in Force Awakens, at least not in any way I can think of.

I'm sure they would have anticipated this kind of questioning and why set up Serkis to have to lie to the press for years? Its plausible deniability.

"JJ what's my motivation in this scene? No spoilers!"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Basebf555 posted:

Keep the dream alive!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
There's no way Snoke is a completely new character. As others have noted, the First Order's whole M.O. is basically to revive the Empire. Snoke's hologram could be a red herring; another "mask." If Snoke's appearance in TFA is genuine, I think he could end up being the corpse of Vader possessed by the ghost of Palpatine. Palpatine has to live on somehow, whether Rey is his clone or whether he himself returns somehow. The Star Wars saga is the story of the Skywalker family, but it's also the story of C-3P0 & R2-D2, Obi-Wan Kenobi & the Jedi, and Emperor Palpatine & the Dark Side. In my opinion it seems ignorant to assume that Palpatine is gone forever. I could easily see his demise in ROTJ being interpreted as the Dark Side version of the "force ghost" trick, giving him the ability to possess living beings, or something like that. If Jedi are guardian angels, and Sith are malicious demons, then this makes sense, right?

If Rey is related to Palpatine somehow, it would change the dynamic between her and Kylo in an interesting way- inversely mirroring the relationship between Vader and the Emperor. However, she could just as easily be a clone of Obi-Wan; the facility on Kamino could very well have obtained a sample of Kenobi's DNA after his fight with Jango Fett.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is anyone mad if it is plaugeis? It'd at least be a cool part of the prequels/Eu to make use of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suppose I'm guilty of not giving Serkis full credit for being a legit actor, which at this point is probably just ignorant.

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.

hemale in pain posted:

That's where I see it going as well, although rumors abound that things are going to take a weird twist based on comments that the next couple of films will be like no star wars seen before.

It's time travel related bollocks some of the theories i've seen I'll be proper sad.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Vader's body was burned. Kylo has his ashes. Next theory.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Plagueis was murdered in his sleep by Sheev, which would make it difficult to him some fourty-plus years later

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm really enjoying the reappraisal of Lucas's work that has happened in the past few weeks, but I wish it arose out of something more tangible and lasting than nerdpinions.

The reappraisal has nothing to do with nerdpinions. The nerd consensus on George Lucas is still overwhelmingly negative. The reappraisal is coming from actual, serious film critics going back and watching what have been come to be known as some of the worst movies ever made, and finding out that they're actually pretty good. Ironically, the ridiculously exaggerated reputation they've gotten might be having the effect of making them seem even better than they actually are, to a person watching them fresh today.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Not if he has figured out the whole life death thing as explicitly told to us by sheev.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Plagueis was murdered in his sleep by Sheev, which would make it difficult to him some fourty-plus years later

Do Sith double-tap?

Maybe Plagueis just stayed very still.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I mean, that musical hint seals the deal.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

The reappraisal has nothing to do with nerdpinions. The nerd consensus on George Lucas is still overwhelmingly negative. The reappraisal is coming from actual, serious film critics going back and watching what have been come to be known as some of the worst movies ever made, and finding out that they're actually pretty good. Ironically, the ridiculously exaggerated reputation they've gotten might be having the effect of making them seem even better than they actually are, to a person watching them fresh today.

Yeah, I guess you're right for the most part. But there is an undercurrent of "JJ didn't do it right, bring back the true visionary" from guys on the internet who are merely dissatisfied with The Force Awakens.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm just putting it out there that Snoke might just be some dude named Snoke and not a clone of Vader/Obi-Wan/Luke's non-canon childhood dog Fydo or [insert EU Sith Lord]

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would probably be explained that the entire saga of Episodes 1-VI was planned in advance by Plagueis, and the first step of the plan was to allow Sheev to believe he had murdered him. With the training and ideas that were planted in his head by Plagueis, Sheev would then go on to enact Plagueis' plans without even realizing they weren't his own.

Sounds pretty Star Wars to me.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

wait people like greg lucas again? jesus christ you nerds

Greg Lucas is a certifiable artistic genius who will go down in cinematic history for such well-loved classics as JNE 8675309, Canadian Wall-Doodles, and Gasball Disputes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Snoke is the greatest Star Wars villain of all time. Lucas.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If Snoke was legit supermechagodzilla I would be into it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Snoke refers to training so if he ain't a Sith I don't know what the gently caress.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
He is the district manager of Hot Topic and has to finish Kylo's new employee training. Explain about discounts, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No one except Jedi and sith have ever undergone any kind of training, that's true.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Snoke refers to training so if he ain't a Sith I don't know what the gently caress.

He may be the new Dooku, trying to train an ally against his master, the real threat. That is probably too complicated for TFA's pretty reductive approach to Star Wars.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

Sith ≠ darkside user

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Sith ≠ darkside user

Which doesn't really matter because until the PT there were no Sith in Star Wars and thus Darth Vader and Palpatine were also "just" darkside users for all we knew. It's another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to SW (and its not surprising that it is another PT element ignored by TFA).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Sith ≠ darkside user

I know I'm saying if he's not a sith it will have to be something really new

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LinkesAuge posted:

Which doesn't really matter because until the PT there were no Sith in Star Wars and thus Darth Vader and Palpatine were also "just" darkside users for all we knew. It's another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to SW (and its not surprising that it is another PT element ignored by TFA).

The novelization for the original Star Wars uses the term "Sith", in addition to other Expanded Universe works that came out well before Episode I.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The anh script also uses sith.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

The novelization for the original Star Wars uses the term "Sith", in addition to other Expanded Universe works that came out well before Episode I.
Hell, my brother had this poster up in his room in 1977. It calls Darth Vader "the formidable Lord of the Sith".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Plus just because they don't run around going "the Sith shall rise again! I am a Sith lord!" like they do in the prequels, it doesn't mean they aren't Sith. They explicitly say "Sith" in TFA, they're not dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Vader's body was burned. Kylo has his ashes. Next theory.

The Republic takes control of the Clone Army in Episode II. They likely have access to cloning facilities on Kamino, if they haven't just confiscated them outright.

Palpatine and/or Vader could've cloned themselves at any time as a backup.

• Locked thread