Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Red posted:

The Republic takes control of the Clone Army in Episode II. They likely have access to cloning facilities on Kamino, if they haven't just confiscated them outright.

Palpatine and/or Vader could've cloned themselves at any time as a backup.

That's not how cloning works in filmed Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Effectronica posted:

That's not how cloning works in filmed Star Wars.

You're not suggesting the EU would make up terrible poo poo??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Join the dots people ...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Please no clones, that path leads to terrible things like Luuke and Luuuke

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

Snoke refers to training so if he ain't a Sith I don't know what the gently caress.

Poor Kylo needs any training he can get.

I'm gonna hold back on if he's sith or not, could just be some big holographic dick who knows things

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LinkesAuge posted:

Which doesn't really matter because until the PT there were no Sith in Star Wars and thus Darth Vader and Palpatine were also "just" darkside users for all we knew. It's another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to SW (and its not surprising that it is another PT element ignored by TFA).

Going by that standard, there was no "Palpatine" until the PT--there was just "the Emperor" for all we knew. Giving the Emperor a proper name was another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to Star Wars. It really demystified the character, IMO. But that's Lucas for you, over-explaining everything for no goddamn reason.

It's not surprising that the "Palpatine" moniker is another PT element completely ignored by TFA. Now, "the Sith" are explicitly mentioned in TFA, unfortunately, but at least that dumb "Palpatine" poo poo the PT came up with was pointedly ignored.

edit: Wait a minute, I've just received word that TFA canonized Leia's last name as "Organa," even though this is a name that was never once mentioned in the OT, and was in fact first introduced in spoken dialogue by the prequels. drat you, J.J.! Now TFA has prequel stink all over it!

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 8, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

But why do Jedi have to be limited to this one weapon? It's not even supported by the original trilogy, where Luke is more than happy to shoot someone if it's going to make his life easier.

Because it's emblematic of the whole "A Jedi uses the force for defence, never for attack" or whatever.

Your saber reflects blaster shots directed at you; you don't shoot a blaster yourself. It's thematic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm really enjoying the reappraisal of Lucas's work that has happened in the past few weeks, but I wish it arose out of something more tangible and lasting than nerdpinions.

I kinda hope Lucas hears about it. He's mentioned in the past that peoples reaction to the PT has dissuaded him from directing any more Star Wars movies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Because it's emblematic of the whole "A Jedi uses the force for defence, never for attack" or whatever.

Your saber reflects blaster shots directed at you; you don't shoot a blaster yourself. It's thematic.

If that's true, the Jedi assault on Genosis must have been the biggest 'watch out, they're coming straight for us!' incident in recorded history

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My fan theory is that Snoke is going to be a metaphor for meaningless idealogical conflict (i.e OT fans and PT fans, in keeping with TFA's retrospective on star wars fans and legacy), he will be revealed to have funded both pro- and anti- First Order republic politicians just to drag out the conflict, with the belief that Sith are born out of strife, in contrast to Jedi from quiet self-reflection. He will never pick up a weapon, and will be defeated when Rey, finally accepting Luke's teachings, refuses to kill him in spite of his angry shouting and rock throwing (it will totally be a cave scene and she will deflect the rocks complete with visually appealing lightsaber sparks)

I mean, if we're going to throw out guesses like "Zombie Vader", might as well go all-out and specific.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why is Snoke not plaugeis? The musical cue is all the evidence you need. Plus, the fact that they are like, the same loving race once you factor in his injuries, death, and artistic interpretation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Would your midichlorian count follow a clone? I was under the impression midichlorians inhabited a body, but were also independent of them. I guess they're in your cells because they can be passed down via both the paternal and maternal lines, but it'd be funny if clones lacked them. So Snook builds an army of Annie Skywalkers without any real talent or skills that just go around saying stupid poo poo and losing pod races.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why is Snoke not plaugeis? The musical cue is all the evidence you need. Plus, the fact that they are like, the same loving race once you factor in his injuries, death, and artistic interpretation.

Why would they base Plagueis on some EU stuff they went out of their way to make non-canon?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would be a really inefficient way of getting an army of C3P0s.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It does make you wonder why Palpatine didn't just replace Vader with a clone Vader that didn't have all his injuries holding him back, but I guess at the end of the day the hatred Vader felt was more important than having a clean bill of health. Rey being a clone of Vader might be kind of interesting, though, and would be legitimately surprising in a way that most familial relations wouldn't be.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If that's true, the Jedi assault on Genosis must have been the biggest 'watch out, they're coming straight for us!' incident in recorded history

I'm just referencing what Yoda says in Empire, before Lucas decided to retcon the Jedi into a special forces unit.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Beeez posted:

It does make you wonder why Palpatine didn't just replace Vader with a clone Vader that didn't have all his injuries holding him back, but I guess at the end of the day the hatred Vader felt was more important than having a clean bill of health. Rey being a clone of Vader might be kind of interesting, though, and would be legitimately surprising in a way that most familial relations wouldn't be.

You gotta figure if Anakin was that good looking again, free from the Jedi code, he'd be taking up a lot of extra curriculars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Lucas also gave Coppola the idea to intercut the executions with the baptism in The Godfather, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to editing.

That's pretty cool.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If you clone vader you'd have to either quickly grow him which would make a lovely jedi with 4 years of experience and the intelligence of an average clone trooper or some baby you gotta spend 20 years training :effort:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone else get the opinion that Luke is kind of a super dick for leaving a map to him? It's not like he is some treasure or something, he could easily come out of retirement any day to help instead of waiting for people to desperately come to him for help after tons of people fighting and dying over the stupid map.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

If you clone vader you'd have to either quickly grow him which would make a lovely jedi with 4 years of experience and the intelligence of an average clone trooper or some baby you gotta spend 20 years training :effort:

It'd be pretty neat seeing Palpatine with a crib in his throne room.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rian Johnson is directing 8, maybe Snoke is Kylo from the future.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jeeves posted:

Anyone else get the opinion that Luke is kind of a super dick for leaving a map to him? It's not like he is some treasure or something, he could easily come out of retirement any day to help instead of waiting for people to desperately come to him for help after tons of people fighting and dying over the stupid map.

I feel like it's a map to the first Jedi temple, not him specifically, and he splintered the map so as not to be followed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

jeeves posted:

Well, he did move to Scotland (a notoriously tech-scarse planet), so he'd probably have no way to know if his pals needed him, or he didnt want something that could be traced, or maybe he just didnt want to chat after his friends' son murdered his jedi council.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jeeves posted:

Luke doesn't appear to believe he can help. We already know he rejected violence in RotJ and then one of his pupils turned and slaughtered everyone in his new Jedi training group, which he evidently feels responsible for and perhaps with good reason. His 'retirement' seems to be more of a self-imposed exile

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

greatn posted:

snoke - "I can't believe how loving lame i used to be"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah, Yoda does say that, but Yoda is dead. The entire Jedi Old Guard is dead and gone, and Luke's first attempt to rebuild the Order seems to have failed pretty quickly. I think it'd be fair to do a little reinventing. I don't think it's straying too much to have them be space musketeers instead of space knights.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Luke doesn't appear to believe he can help. We already know he rejected violence in RotJ and then one of his pupils turned and slaughtered everyone in his new Jedi training group, which he evidently feels responsible for and perhaps with good reason. His 'retirement' seems to be more of a self-imposed exile

Yea I expect he considers himself a failure because of what happened with Ren, and that his involvement in any kind of conflict would only make things worse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

I already saw this in Fairy Tail.

Though hopefully this series ends the way that story did too with them crashing a giant dragon into the time machine, thereby making it impossible for the future self to ever go back in time in the first place.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

hemale in pain posted:

snoke - "I can't believe how loving lame i used to be"

"Oh poo poo I'm still lame."

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Well, he did move to Scotland (a notoriously tech-scarse planet), so he'd probably have no way to know if his pals needed him, or he didnt want something that could be traced, or maybe he just didnt want to chat after his friends' son murdered his jedi council.

Ireland, not Scotland.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Snoke is the FIRST SITH, frozen in carbonite until such time as no sith remain, as an insurance policy to secure the sith legacy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

greatn posted:

Snoke is the FIRST SITH, frozen in carbonite until such time as no sith remain, as an insurance policy to secure the sith legacy.

Maybe a holocron

That would own.

But wait doesn't snoke say he feels an awakening. Holocons using the force?? Meh.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Cnut the Great posted:

The reappraisal has nothing to do with nerdpinions. The nerd consensus on George Lucas is still overwhelmingly negative. The reappraisal is coming from actual, serious film critics going back and watching what have been come to be known as some of the worst movies ever made, and finding out that they're actually pretty good. Ironically, the ridiculously exaggerated reputation they've gotten might be having the effect of making them seem even better than they actually are, to a person watching them fresh today.

They are terribly made movies with some cool ideas. Why are people trying to make them something that are not. Why the gently caress does Obi wan even need a pilot in a new hope? He can obviously fly a ship it's shown in the prequels.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Cnut the Great posted:

Going by that standard, there was no "Palpatine" until the PT--there was just "the Emperor" for all we knew. Giving the Emperor a proper name was another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to Star Wars. It really demystified the character, IMO. But that's Lucas for you, over-explaining everything for no goddamn reason.

It's not surprising that the "Palpatine" moniker is another PT element completely ignored by TFA. Now, "the Sith" are explicitly mentioned in TFA, unfortunately, but at least that dumb "Palpatine" poo poo the PT came up with was pointedly ignored.

edit: Wait a minute, I've just received word that TFA canonized Leia's last name as "Organa," even though this is a name that was never once mentioned in the OT, and was in fact first introduced in spoken dialogue by the prequels. drat you, J.J.! Now TFA has prequel stink all over it!

I think he was called Palpatine in tie fighter, which is definitely canon.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
...wasn't it always emperor palpatine? It's this sheev poo poo that's new to me.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Yeah, Yoda does say that, but Yoda is dead. The entire Jedi Old Guard is dead and gone, and Luke's first attempt to rebuild the Order seems to have failed pretty quickly. I think it'd be fair to do a little reinventing. I don't think it's straying too much to have them be space musketeers instead of space knights.

The thing is that a powerful Jedi doesn't need a blaster. Your suggestion makes no sense and is bad.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dubplate Fire posted:

They are terribly made movies with some cool ideas. Why are people trying to make them something that are not. Why the gently caress does Obi wan even need a pilot in a new hope? He can obviously fly a ship it's shown in the prequels.

Well, Obi Wan didn't have a ship. So, I guess he really needed a ship and I guess that comes with a pilot on Tatooine?

The truth is that Lucas didn't have the prequels planned out in detail when he made the originals. So, a bunch of stuff was retconned and makes no sense except in the minds of wanna-be film critics on a comedy forum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, Obi Wan didn't have a ship. So, I guess he really needed a ship and I guess that comes with a pilot on Tatooine?

The truth is that Lucas didn't have the prequels planned out in detail when he made the originals. So, a bunch of stuff was retconned and makes no sense except in the minds of wanna-be film critics on a comedy forum.

I guess you just outed yourself as a wanna-be film critic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Noam Chomsky posted:

Luke thought they could afford a ship themselves but he was a dumb fanboy farmboy. Whatever they would be able to get and fly would be nowhere near as fast as the Falcon and they wanted to get to Alderaan fast.

• Locked thread