Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mine is prime shipped, 2 days as usual.

I went with Standard, but it still only says 4-5 days for actual shipping. It shows the product itself as being delayed until March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Anyone willing to buy and send a set to oz? I don't have prime and it says I can give them $75 instead :( :( I figure sending it here must be cheaper than that

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Drake_263 posted:

You know what?

NOW it's done. Added some scorch marks, bullet holes and other battle damage before lacquering it. Really happy with how it turned out - except for this loving white dust that seems to somehow end up in the final varnish coat -.-;

Edit: wHatever the hell those little white flakes are, they came right off when I gave 'em a little bit of a brushing with a drybrush. Whew. Got to try that with the Knight when I'm at the mancave next.

I think of this song when I see your model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8-_Ik7mzE

That thing kicks rear end, man. Great job.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Sex Cannon posted:

I think of this song when I see your model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8-_Ik7mzE

That thing kicks rear end, man. Great job.

"Blaze, motherfucker, like a Roman candle!" Normally I don't go for screamymetal but ths gets my purity seal of approval. Thank you!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
With the first half of my artillery section complete (and no desire to paint vehicles) I painted up Mad Dok Grotsnik, a pair of old Gorkamorka Mekboyz, and a mob of 'Ardboyz in desperate need of a trukk!

Grotsnik was actually really fun; I've never liked the model, but actually getting to paint it myself really made me appreciate the mini. I still think his pose and GW paintjob kind of suck, but by breaking up the metallics with a Big Boss-esque bionic arm, I came to like the mini a lot more. The Mekboyz were really fun too, but they're downright scrawny next to a modern Ork boy.

The 'Ardboyz are my fourth and final (planned, anyway) mob in the army, and the one focused solely on close combat. I used a few of the old metal Tankbustas since they're uparmored enough to serve as 'Ardboyz, and I've always liked the models. I also used a few Ogryn bits I happened to have for the gascans and stuff, which I think really look right for a mob of boyz in a trukk. Finally, I cut the door off a Taurox I converted for these guys and got to use the door as a riot shield, which I'm super happy with! Instead of doing desert camo on the tan armor, I just left the areas tan and I think that was the wrong move. They still look fine, but not quite as good as my guys with splotches of desert camo. Ah well, they're still lookin' dead 'ard.

And that's all I've got for now! I think it's about time I painted another trukk before building a ride for these guys, and the upcoming mobs of Meganobz I've got in their boxes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Those are some freeking gorgeous Orks. I love the models but I'd break apart trying to paoint them - so much detail that my OCD would grab onto!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Hey, what gives SRM? Some of those pics are actually white balanced. Sweet work as always though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

So good

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drake_263 posted:

Those are some freeking gorgeous Orks. I love the models but I'd break apart trying to paoint them - so much detail that my OCD would grab onto!
Thank you! There are a shitload of little details all over them, and the fact that I'm doing multiple kinds of camo on them just kind of makes it worse. I kind of got a little sloppy in a few places because of said detail but I don't think it's super noticeable when they're all mobbed up.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Hey, what gives SRM? Some of those pics are actually white balanced. Sweet work as always though.
I used to manually pick the black and white point in Photoshop and now I'm using auto levels and that's helping a bunch. Hopefully when I move into a new place later this year I'll have room for a proper lightbox, instead of the blank side of an 18x24 piece of paper with my Drawing 101 homework on the other side.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set Includes 4 Small Rounds only $17.50 with free shipping on Amazon. I have no idea why the price is so low.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Screw it, $17.50 spent. Amazon says they won't ship until March or April though. I can always cancel the order if need be.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

With the first half of my artillery section complete (and no desire to paint vehicles) I painted up Mad Dok Grotsnik, a pair of old Gorkamorka Mekboyz, and a mob of 'Ardboyz in desperate need of a trukk!

Grotsnik was actually really fun; I've never liked the model, but actually getting to paint it myself really made me appreciate the mini. I still think his pose and GW paintjob kind of suck, but by breaking up the metallics with a Big Boss-esque bionic arm, I came to like the mini a lot more. The Mekboyz were really fun too, but they're downright scrawny next to a modern Ork boy.

The 'Ardboyz are my fourth and final (planned, anyway) mob in the army, and the one focused solely on close combat. I used a few of the old metal Tankbustas since they're uparmored enough to serve as 'Ardboyz, and I've always liked the models. I also used a few Ogryn bits I happened to have for the gascans and stuff, which I think really look right for a mob of boyz in a trukk. Finally, I cut the door off a Taurox I converted for these guys and got to use the door as a riot shield, which I'm super happy with! Instead of doing desert camo on the tan armor, I just left the areas tan and I think that was the wrong move. They still look fine, but not quite as good as my guys with splotches of desert camo. Ah well, they're still lookin' dead 'ard.

And that's all I've got for now! I think it's about time I painted another trukk before building a ride for these guys, and the upcoming mobs of Meganobz I've got in their boxes.

Ok I'm buying an ork to paint right now

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Ok I'm buying an ork to paint right now

Orks are easily the most fun things to paint.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Screw it, $17.50 spent. Amazon says they won't ship until March or April though. I can always cancel the order if need be.

I ordered two sets with the same thought. I don't really need brushes right now but for me in Canada, 17.50 usd is like one brush so I couldn't pass it up.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lookit all dem orks :orks101:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Broguts posted:

Orks are easily the most fun things to paint.

Seriously, they're stupidly fun to paint and convert. I just spent an hour tearing apart a rescue Rhino that I'll be turning into a turbocharged trukk for them and it's gonna be a blast to bolt on all these weird armor plates and poo poo.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
SRM your stuff is the only thing that makes me miss my deffskulls.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Package came the other day.

New commission includes Cygnar colossal and battle engine, plus some Infinity stuff. However, the Cygnar stuff is up first.

The one on the right, the Storm Strider, my client wants magnetized for easier storage. OK.

The strider's pelvis thankfully is plastic AND hollow, which made drilling and fitting a magnet much easier.

The metal platform was solid, however. My dremel decided to die, so I had to do it the slow way with a power drill.

Nurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgle.

Getting there. By this point I grabbed my largest drill bit and went to town.

Not like anything is gonna get hurt if I gently caress up...

Success! poo poo's strong, can carry the whole piece from the top half.

Based em, but now my client wants the bases to have extra detail, so I gotta rip the sand off :/

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Dr. Phildo posted:

Anyone willing to buy and send a set to oz? I don't have prime and it says I can give them $75 instead :( :( I figure sending it here must be cheaper than that

If you add them from the page that indolent bastard linked, rather than the page for the item itself, it still gives me a total of $23.69 (I assume USD) to ship to Sydney.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Well,look at that! Thanks willus!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
That's okay bud! I had the same thing happen to me when I clicked the store page out of curiousity haha

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Bit of a picture dump I'm afraid but fully 100% finished with the Ghostkeel now. Also I enjoyed it so much I picked up these little bad boys on a whim to paint up next.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I had $15 sitting in an amazon gift card. I can spend a couple bucks more and wait a few months for an awesome deal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Since the dwarf bust I painted/posted back in March didn't even make the cut at Adepticon, I have been in a painting rut. Haven't finished a model, though I did learn some NMM tricks and putz around. Then by the time my demoralization passed the holidays happened and I haven't actually painted in months.

But I recaught the bug this week and ordered a couple busts to paint since I can't get up the motivation to build and paint all the Malifaux stuff I need to get done. Hopefully that will kickstart me again.

Also, anyone who isn't already watching Painting Buddha videos should definitely, they switched from selling pricey individual videos to Patreon which turns out way cheaper and they are far and away the best videos out there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

big_g posted:

Bit of a picture dump I'm afraid but fully 100% finished with the Ghostkeel now. Also I enjoyed it so much I picked up these little bad boys on a whim to paint up next.

This thing owns (especially the secret head)

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CP from the Warmanz thread.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Slandible posted:

CP from the Warmanz thread.

Looks amazing.

I'd love that ice recipe if you have it? Still trying to figure mine out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
God drat. This is a good page for minis.

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
Two weeks off over Christmas I bit the bullet and tried to do the big man justice. I'm happy with it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

So what PSI do you guys airbrush at? If I'm doing basecoats it's usually a bit thicker so I go to about 30, but if I want to do more gradual highlights and details, it should be at about 15 psi and a thinner mix, right?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

crime fighting hog posted:

So what PSI do you guys airbrush at? If I'm doing basecoats it's usually a bit thicker so I go to about 30, but if I want to do more gradual highlights and details, it should be at about 15 psi and a thinner mix, right?

I never go above about 20 to 25 for priming and basecoats, down to about 10 or less for details. Thin the paint appropriately but the thickness and air pressure depend in the size of your needle too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I got a standard Patriot 105 with a .3 needle, it's been working like a charm so far but I want to finally start doing more detailed highlights.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Can anyone suggest a good set of videos for starting out with an airbrush? I just got one and there are about a million youtube videos but some seem to contradict each other.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

I got a standard Patriot 105 with a .3 needle, it's been working like a charm so far but I want to finally start doing more detailed highlights.

Cool, the basic thing with details is lower pressure, thin your paint more (down to the consistency of skimmed milk, which probably means thinning your paint way more than you do now) and learn how to spray at very close distances like 1"/25mm or so.

TouchToneDialing posted:

Can anyone suggest a good set of videos for starting out with an airbrush? I just got one and there are about a million youtube videos but some seem to contradict each other.

Yeah that'll happen because of different people (some who actually know what they're talking about and others just wanting video views) showing how to use different airbrushes for different purposes, so the info will vary widely really. I'm going to do a video series at some point but it'll be a little while (and of course be subject to my own habits and biases), but find 2 or 3 people that you like with many videos and watch them and just try out what they suggest and combine the info until you find what works for you.

Of the ones I've seen since I started airbrushing, the intro to Airbrushing one (linked in the OP) is basically required watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw

also the WGC videos with Chung are pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vDgaRqlhI0

Lester Bursley is also in the WGC and has a few helpful videos, but his mindset is more to help yourself rather than have your hand held through your airbrushing journey, so he doesn't have that many airbrushing videos.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set with 4 Small Rounds

Normal price is $124. On sale now for $17.50 (look at the 'other sellers' in the description)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&tag=vglnk-c1550-20

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is there anything more aggressive for stripping metal models than pure acetone? I have a few models that the last bits of paint just won't budge from.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there anything more aggressive for stripping metal models than pure acetone? I have a few models that the last bits of paint just won't budge from.

Oven degreaser? No matter how much you strip em some of the paint will be impossible to get out of the nooks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Try 99% alcohol or mineral spirits. Outside of that I worry if it will start to destroy your plastic/resin

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set with 4 Small Rounds

Normal price is $124. On sale now for $17.50 (look at the 'other sellers' in the description)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&tag=vglnk-c1550-20

Holy poo poo, thanks for this! My set is starting to wear out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Indolent Bastard posted:

It really doesn't matter that the paints in there. Unless it's eBay special bad, I don't even bother stripping anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Oven degreaser? No matter how much you strip em some of the paint will be impossible to get out of the nooks.

I may try this if they don't get clean after the acetone.

BULBASAUR posted:

Try 99% alcohol or mineral spirits. Outside of that I worry if it will start to destroy your plastic/resin

I may try this if they don't get clean after the Oven degreaser.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It really doesn't matter that the paints in there. Unless it's eBay special bad, I don't even bother stripping anymore.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but these are for a special project and need to be as free of crud as possible before I proceed.