Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This seems like some solid removal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

it's

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

I am sure someone that plays natures claim can chime in, but don't you need to hit 4 cmc stuff occasionally?

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. The biggest threat it doesn't hit is Batterskull. Not sure if that limitation is worth not giving your opponent 1/5 their starting life back.

Fake Edit: Also, Captain's Claws is going in my Jor Kadeen deck. :getin:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Is it just me or is there a shitload of Trample in this set?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Note that despite the flavour text, this will probably not kill an ob nixilis they just played if they +1'd it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. The biggest threat it doesn't hit is Batterskull. Not sure if that limitation is worth not giving your opponent 1/5 their starting life back.

Fake Edit: Also, Captain's Claws is going in my Jor Kadeen deck. :getin:

A general rule is that life is a less valuable resource than cards and board presence. Taking out their Batterskull or other threat is almost always going to be worth the life.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Terrible Horse posted:

A general rule is that life is a less valuable resource than cards and board presence. Taking out their Batterskull or other threat is almost always going to be worth the life.

I'm not really arguing that point.

The best comparison for Natural State vs. Nature's Claim would be Inquisition of Kozilek vs. Thoughtseize. They'll both probably see play, but how much of a shift will occur because of it. (Batterskull isn't all that common in Modern for example.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Isn't the lifegain actually a positive some amount of time? Like Claiming your Spellskite in response to a Destructive Revelry.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I'm not really arguing that point.

The best comparison for Natural State vs. Nature's Claim would be Inquisition of Kozilek vs. Thoughtseize. They'll both probably see play, but how much of a shift will occur because of it. (Batterskull isn't all that common in Modern for example.)

Yeah I mean, personally I would think the Claim would be better because it catches the cases State doesn't, and 5 life is negligible.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Note that despite the flavour text, this will probably not kill an ob nixilis they just played if they +1'd it.

Ob Nixilis is too fun of a villain, she probably doesn't kill him in the story. She probably just fucks him up real bad. So the flavor text is even more fitting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lets Pickle posted:

Ob Nixilis is too fun of a villain, she probably doesn't kill him in the story. She probably just fucks him up real bad. So the flavor text is even more fitting.

So everything in the loving multiverse just falls over to fire?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Isn't the lifegain actually a positive some amount of time? Like Claiming your Spellskite in response to a Destructive Revelry.

Yep, the modal lifegain spell half plays a big role in tron f.ex

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
The set sucks

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Natural Slate does seem pretty powerful. In modern its main issue is it doesn't hit Splinter Twin. I can maybe imagine that a deck that cares about the opponent's life total (eg burn or affinity) would consider it, but it's probably less good than Destructive Revelry or Ancient Grudge. So we're kindof looking for an aggressive deck that doesn't include red which seems unlikely.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

So everything in the loving multiverse just falls over to fire?

I know how to fix MTGO now.

e: Also State missing Splinter Twin in Modern (if you bring that in against Twin) and more importantly Leylines, and missing Lodestone Golem in Vintage, seems like it's quite a bit worse. Most decks playing Claim don't care about the opponent's life total much to begin with.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Natural Slate does seem pretty powerful. In modern its main issue is it doesn't hit Splinter Twin. I can maybe imagine that a deck that cares about the opponent's life total (eg burn or affinity) would consider it, but it's probably less good than Destructive Revelry or Ancient Grudge. So we're kindof looking for an aggressive deck that doesn't include red which seems unlikely.

Mono green aggro or maybe hatebears?

Edit: I agree with you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

An actual Pauper playable. So long, Shadow Rift!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What must be done must be done.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hellsau posted:

I really like the flavor text and art on this; very Hounds of Tindalos.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

How many relevant shadow creatures are there in pauper? If it's not many Shadow Rift seems better since it's instant speed and can make a creature unable to block your team. I guess not being countered by pyroblast could come up occasionally.

e: that said I think having 12 1 mana cantrips and Mentor in standard is pretty exciting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I am sure someone that plays natures claim can chime in, but don't you need to hit 4 cmc stuff occasionally?

Yeah, you need to be able to hit Splinter Twin.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I like this set, there are a lot of neat cards, they gave my pet strategy (Ghostfire Blade) a lot of love, and I especially think they did a good job considering the whole block paradigm change but godDAMN the art is disappointing. I hope this hyper-CG style doesn't persist.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Did I miss jace somehow or is he really not in this set.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There's already too much Jace in this block without giving him another planeswalker card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He's the walker we're following to Innistrad. He's getting his new card there.

I was upset when I saw Reality Hemorrhage. Then, I saw Consuming Sinkhole.

gently caress off WotC.

The flavor on Devour in Flames

Also, they printed artful dodge but with Draw a Card instead of Flashback.

Is there a Kiln Fiend in this set?????

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

jace has been in a bunch of set's i'm okay with him taking a break

isn't there like 6 versions of him, like for real they can stop printing new jaces for a while

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Hey guys! #MTGFinance is awesome

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?ProductName=Inquisition+of+Kozilek&newSearch=false&ProductType=All&IsProductNameExact=true

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh for gently caress sake.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Feels nice to actually have one of these cards experiencing a ridiculous spike

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

I like this set, there are a lot of neat cards, they gave my pet strategy (Ghostfire Blade) a lot of love, and I especially think they did a good job considering the whole block paradigm change but godDAMN the art is disappointing. I hope this hyper-CG style doesn't persist.

I'm sure the art style will be back in the near future, just slightly shittier.

:laugh:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Oh for gently caress sake.

I bought a playset of these when they were 5 each. Wow.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That makes perfect sense? it was an insanely in demand staple and the price only decreased/maintained its price in the expectation of a reprint in this block. It wasn't reprinted and modern demand is increasing all around and so now its more expensive?

Or are you guys just looking to complain?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

I don't think that's a buy out, they just didn't reprint it for standard. Goblin guide will go up I bet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That makes perfect sense? it was an insanely in demand staple and the price only decreased/maintained its price in the expectation of a reprint in this block. It wasn't reprinted and modern demand is increasing all around and so now its more expensive?

What's funny is the large gulf between tcg low and tcg mid on them.

Looks like someone's looking to majorly spec.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is going to be a FNM promo I bet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I bought a playset of these when they were 5 each. Wow.

So, I think I'm just going to buy the couple Modern Event Decks my LGS still has lying around...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You think this is a $50 card?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah, a Kibler magic stream.

(nobody liked my sinkhole edit :[ )

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Madmarker posted:

Hey any goons going to the Starcity Open in Charlotte tomorrow?

I'll be there piloting some fish, here's hoping I don't punt, and that no one plays affinity.:newlol:

Mind sharing your fish list? I'm trying to build it up and would be interested in some of the card choices / side board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This set rules

• Locked thread