Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
It's a 2 day wait to switch CW clans?

GIRL isn't CW'ing... And honestly clan mechs are kinda boring despite being better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just a heads up for people who are getting the newsletter and junking/deleting it immediately: this week they're giving out a free week of premium time for everyone.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Oh Snapple! posted:

That's getting way too specific imo, particularly on the "110kph+" front.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of hard-hitting mediums with them that clock in at around ~100. They'll arrive a few seconds after the engagement starts, yeah, but usually the enemy is pretty well distracted by the light swarm at that point and can basically just unload. Worked drat well on my Griffin when we were dropping last weekend.

If you have to run away when things go bad the mediums following the light swarm are all dogmeat, need to have all lights when doing a light swarm.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you're running away you're making a much bigger mistake than "not taking this specific mech" considering the goal of the initial rush is to inflict damage and trade your lowest value mechs as close to 1:1 as possible.

This is really unnecessary pigeon-holing.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
No, you move in and kill 5+ of a wave and then retreat before reinforcements can arrive, let them string out and then go back in and do it all over again. I used to call clans wars so I'm not just blowing smoke here.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And what I'm talking about worked as I said it did as recent as this week so I'm truthfully not certain why you're arguing with me about it.

Not everyone likes piloting lights or wants to, subbing a few of them out for quick hard-hitting mediums works and is effective. Forcing people into particular dropdecks is a good way to kill fun in a game mode people already complain isn't fun.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stop arguing about CW.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Washout posted:

No, you move in and kill 5+ of a wave and then retreat before reinforcements can arrive, let them string out and then go back in and do it all over again. I used to call clans wars so I'm not just blowing smoke here.

This.

As Washout mentioned if you're playing CW to win you need to be pretty specific about what goes into a drop deck. There is some leeway for different mech choices but for the most part everyone can't run their snowflakes because it doesn't work in CW.

Just trust what Washout is saying here on the subject.

Edit: If you're just loving around run whatever you want.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Since not everyone has all the robots a good rule of thumb is to take similar weights each of your 4 drops and go in 12 at a time. Also call targets and move as one. Just this amount of coordination will keep you in most matches. Oh and have fun.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Washout posted:

Will we be able to specifically choose and play this game type at will? Or is it going to just be a random part of CW dropping?

It will be something you choose.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

ImpactVector posted:

How terrible an idea would it be to buy the light Steam pack? As a light pilot who's bad with money that Cheater with the +30% CBills is really tempting.

There's the $30 Arctic Cheater pack that gives you 3 bays and 3 variants, one of which is Prime Invasion variant which gives cbill boost.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Alchenar posted:

Just a heads up for people who are getting the newsletter and junking/deleting it immediately: this week they're giving out a free week of premium time for everyone.

"Stay subscribed, we are planing more rewards for our newsletter subscriber list this year and you may not have the chance to earn them after the promotion is sent!"

So they are planing some stuff, huh. Man these guys just play fast and loose with the QC.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I assume it went out, and since I didn't get one I checked the mail settings I had saved before after learning about newsletter prizes. Naturally, it had gone back to unchecked.

e: eh, its only a week of premium (I assumed it would be something like that), not a huge loss on my part.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 8, 2016

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I checked and mine IS checked, but I still didn't get the newsletter.

edit: VV I didn't think of that :negative:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 8, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I didn't check my email, just went to the main site and hit the gimme my poo poo link.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Drakes posted:

I didn't check my email, just went to the main site and hit the gimme my poo poo link.

Yep, although apparently given the possibility of ~future rewards~ mailing list poo poo should get sorted.

The link, for those too lazy to look: https://mwomercs.com/rewards

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Coolwhoami posted:

Yep, although apparently given the possibility of ~future rewards~ mailing list poo poo should get sorted.

The link, for those too lazy to look: https://mwomercs.com/rewards

:chord: well, there goes the premium time problem I had for that thing this weekend!

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

Not really, you need to take 3 that all have decent speed and good range and firepower, so pretty much no brawling mechs, they also all need to take AMS. So the normal drop deck was 3 thunderbolts and a light, maybe trade one thunderbolt for something else of your preference like a laserdrill stalker or something. For the light it needs jumpjets and go over 140 so basically firestarters.

In order to win consistently you need to have a list of approved mechs and builds and enforce them pretty heavily. Because the yellbosses strats depend on everyone having the same armament and speed.

The list reference was explicitly what we did to drop and win every time in 12 mans vs other IS. It wasn't even close - there was all of one game that I played where we didn't just roll the enemy team and farm their dropships for points, and we still won that one.

Washout, man, you've been back for less than a week. Things have changed - that's why you're back. Take some time to adapt to what's new and different. Chill out, let the people who were doing it successfully two weeks ago explain what was successful, and let's see how it goes this weekend and build from there. Don't get all invested and serious about CW when it's unclear whether there's even enough interest yet to bother being serious about it.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Is that funny private matches event thing still on for this weekend?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is that funny private matches event thing still on for this weekend?

Yes! I completly forgot about it. The post for the in-house shenanigans is here. The short of it is it's 5pm eastern. In light of that, I'll be moving the WoL CW drops to 12pm PST. We'll do some drops, wreck some pubbies, and have some fun with plenty of time to dunk each other.

12pm PST: WoL CW drops! Get cash, have fun!
2pm PST: Goon in-house shenanigans! Hot trashcan on trashcan action!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Several IS 'mechs have crazy range bonuses that will allow them to sit back and outrange clan builds with ER Large Lasers

If you're playing CW and you roll Boreal, it's worth trying out stuff like that

I think the list is: BLR-1S, most of the Quickdraws, TDR-Top Dog, WVR-6K, BJ-1 and -1DC, Cicada-X5 and -2A, Raven-4X, Commando-1D, and Locust-1M

Most of those get 25% energy range bonuses, and if you stack that with the ER Large Laser range mod, you do full damage up to 928 meters. The best the Clans can manage is 832 meters. If you use the -1M as an ERLL boat (and by boat I mean *one* ERLL), it pokes at 1096 meters for full damage

When WoL rolled as Kurita, the Kurita units like ARKB would literally just have a bunch of Battlemasters and the like stand on the ramps at Boreal, not even peeking, and they'd be able to melt any clan 'mech that poked its head out while taking bupkis for return fire. It was really something.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 9, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

brown sea pubbie posted:

I never touched the SHD until today and boy it was the biggest waste of c-bill ever.

The builds I tried with the SHD-2H + rader derp, max AC5/10 cooldown, ML range mods and no XL's.

1x LL, 2x SRM2+2 ton ammo, 1x AC5+4 ton ammo.

1x ML, 1x SRM2+1 ton ammo, 2xAC2+4-1/2 ton ammo.

1x ML, 2x SRM2+2 ton ammo, 1x AC10+4 ton ammo.

1x ML, 1x SRM2+1 ton ammo, 1x AC20+4 ton ammo.

It won't break 200dmg no matter what and yet I can get 500+ with my griffins, hunchbacks and crabs.

It has to be the mech cause I popped in my griffins after a 10 losing streak with the SHD-2H and I started doing really good again, that or my my SHD is cursed with bad juju.

Any tips on builds?

if one SRM2 gives you CLOSE-RANGE PUNCH, then two? my god ...

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

if one SRM2 gives you CLOSE-RANGE PUNCH, then two? my god ...

WHY AM I DOING BAD WITH THIS BAD FIT gently caress U PGI

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
going to take a mech rarely seen in the field, fit a bunch of random poo poo on it and set MWO on fire just wait and see.

lol

Fun event idea: while playing you browse the brown sea, whoever finds a godawful pubbie-approved build gets the right to force another goon to run that build

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Willfrey posted:

Fun event idea: while playing you browse the brown sea, whoever finds a godawful pubbie-approved build gets the right to force another goon to run that build

I'm a big fan of the idea that you have to choose someone on the other team's build for a given robot.

Unfortunately :pgi: requires us to accumulate cbills and poo poo first, so it won't really be viable, sadly.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
A more c-bill friendly way is to either pick or roll for trial mechs. You can do the forced poo poo-fits stuff but it requires a level of spreadsheets to record available mechs/engines that it is not worth the effort to ultimately end up with an LRM-20 Raven.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

Several IS 'mechs have crazy range bonuses that will allow them to sit back and outrange clan builds with ER Large Lasers

If you're playing CW and you roll Boreal, it's worth trying out stuff like that

I think the list is: BLR-1S, most of the Quickdraws, TDR-Top Dog, WVR-6K, BJ-1 and -1DC, Cicada-X5 and -2A, Raven-4X, Commando-1D, and Locust-1M

Most of those get 25% energy range bonuses, and if you stack that with the ER Large Laser range mod, you do full damage up to 928 meters. The best the Clans can manage is 832 meters. If you use the -1M as an ERLL boat (and by boat I mean *one* ERLL), it pokes at 1096 meters for full damage

When WoL rolled as Kurita, the Kurita units like ARKB would literally just have a bunch of Battlemasters and the like stand on the ramps at Boreal, not even peeking, and they'd be able to melt any clan 'mech that poked its head out while taking bupkis for return fire. It was really something.

Yeah I'm grinding elite on Ravens, and the -4Xs 2 ER-LL build eventually kinda won me over once I got better at staying hull down and not peeking out of the same spot every time. I was definitely THAT GUY banking map votes for alpine in that thing.

Since getting all the basics on that one I moved to the 2X and thought it was dogshit. Now, though I'm running 4 MPLs and an SRM6, and good lord, drive-bys in that thing are mean. I'm ending every round in :siren::gibs::siren: condition, but it's pretty great at sawing off arms and coring out butts even if I don't have the 3L's ECM to keep me somewhat safe.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Reztes posted:

Yeah I'm grinding elite on Ravens, and the -4Xs 2 ER-LL build eventually kinda won me over once I got better at staying hull down and not peeking out of the same spot every time. I was definitely THAT GUY banking map votes for alpine in that thing.

Since getting all the basics on that one I moved to the 2X and thought it was dogshit. Now, though I'm running 4 MPLs and an SRM6, and good lord, drive-bys in that thing are mean. I'm ending every round in :siren::gibs::siren: condition, but it's pretty great at sawing off arms and coring out butts even if I don't have the 3L's ECM to keep me somewhat safe.

-2X also works well with 3LL or 2LL/2ML because of decent duration bonuses

I will specific that if you're gonna play the extreme range game in CW, it requires that everyone be on board with it -- either all 12 of you bring ERLL boats and blanket the map in blue, or two robots purposely stay back on the ramps to keep heads down while the rest of the team advances to ML/LPL range

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anyone have some fun builds for the EBJ handy? It's been so long since I played I don't really have any idea. I have a 3x UAC5 EBJ-P, but it doesn't punch much

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I never actually bought those 3 direwolves so I'm still sitting on about 45 million cbills now... pretty sure I'm going to go full pull on the mechs that are on sale.

Im thinking at least: 2 timbers to finish mastery, 2 SCRs, and maybe get into finishing stalkers? ( I have Misery)

But Stalkers aren't on sale, soooo Thunderbolts? gently caress King Crabs, I just don't like the mech. I already have Hunchies mastered, and I don't want to play Ravens.

Maybe with the Prem Time they gave out for free I can amass enough cash to get 2 SCRs, 2 TBRs, and 2 DWFs.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The other day I had a calculator and was adding up the damage values at the end of the match for the winning team in each game (excluding the non-deathmatch decided ones).

The range was 2.8k~4.2k and the average was around 3.25k.

So basically if you do 300+ damage in a round, you did your share of the work for the team. We kind of already knew this, but I think it's nice to see how the numbers fit.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I recently sunk back into this game again with the Steam release because a bunch of friends started giving it a whirl.

Don't even care I love this game, it's absolutely my pace of competitive shooter and I want to give them my money (but haven't yet besides the $15 I put in six months ago)

Been doing generally OK (average about 390 a game, that's climbing) but gave the demo assaults a spin and shocked myself. Got 800+ damage 3 rounds in a row with the Dire Wolf on demo right now, what the gently caress. I've never done over 550 before I gave that thing a spin, guess it's just my play style.

Also I bought an Urbanmech and I love it more than anything in my garage

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NotTactical/screenshots/?appid=342200

I need three other players to join me with matching TMNT paintjobs who's in

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I recently sunk back into this game again with the Steam release because a bunch of friends started giving it a whirl.

Don't even care I love this game, it's absolutely my pace of competitive shooter and I want to give them my money (but haven't yet besides the $15 I put in six months ago)

Been doing generally OK (average about 390 a game, that's climbing) but gave the demo assaults a spin and shocked myself. Got 800+ damage 3 rounds in a row with the Dire Wolf on demo right now, what the gently caress. I've never done over 550 before I gave that thing a spin, guess it's just my play style.

Also I bought an Urbanmech and I love it more than anything in my garage

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NotTactical/screenshots/?appid=342200

I need three other players to join me with matching TMNT paintjobs who's in

That depends on if you mean all red headbands or color coded headbands.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

honestly I think we should do a constant tour of the Inner Sphere on one-week contracts

that way it gives newbirds (and everyone, really) a chance to get some extra mechbays in CW

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

That depends on if you mean all red headbands or color coded headbands.

Color coded, of course

Pattonesque posted:

that way it gives newbirds (and everyone, really) a chance to get some extra mechbays in CW

Wait I can get stuff from playing in Clan Wars?

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 9, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Color coded, of course

Then gently caress no.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Then gently caress no.

Oh we talking classic vs. post cartoon nooooooow I get it

I didn't grow up with sinful comics I had to sneak my pop culture in through stealthy TV sneaks and visiting friends houses until I was rebellious enough to listen to something that wasn't cassette tapes of classical music

Though to be honest I'm down rocking all 4 with red bands I just find Urbans delightful and have never seen one in a game before (for good reason but whatever)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Color coded, of course

Wait I can get stuff from playing in Clan Wars?

so every match you play, you get Cbills, but you also get "loyalty points" -- a base of a couple hundred, then more depending on how well you did in-game. Those points go toward levels of loyalty to the faction you're affiliated with.

At each level, you get rewards. They range from Cbills to GXP to cockpit items, but they also give out MC and 'mech bays. Each faction has 'mech bay rewards at level 2 and 6 (and at higher levels but those take a while).

You can get to level 2 in like three or four CW games, and level 6 over the course of a week. If you do that for all the factions, that's 20 free 'mech bays, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

so every match you play, you get Cbills, but you also get "loyalty points" -- a base of a couple hundred, then more depending on how well you did in-game. Those points go toward levels of loyalty to the faction you're affiliated with.

At each level, you get rewards. They range from Cbills to GXP to cockpit items, but they also give out MC and 'mech bays. Each faction has 'mech bay rewards at level 2 and 6 (and at higher levels but those take a while).

You can get to level 2 in like three or four CW games, and level 6 over the course of a week. If you do that for all the factions, that's 20 free 'mech bays, I think.

Wow it'd have been awesome if that was explained literally anywhere in the game interface

• Locked thread