Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Is Pound worth honing at all? I've been sitting on it for ages but have never done anything with it.

Also I have both the Cyclone and Sentinel's Grimoire and have learned both SBs from them. Are they worth holding onto for any reason or should I use them as Rosetta Stones at this point?

What do the blue down arrows signify on the enemies here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Seravadon posted:

Is Pound worth honing at all? I've been sitting on it for ages but have never done anything with it.

It is basically the 4* version of Launch. Not the highest priority because it doesn't provide any effects, but it is one of the best pure-damage melee skills available, and anyone with Combat 4 can use it. If you've already honed Breakdowns, Dismissal, Steal Power, 4* Spellblades, etc. and have plenty of orbs left over, then sure, go for it, especially if you want to use melee characters without Support or Celerity in their skillset. You don't need it though.

quote:

Also I have both the Cyclone and Sentinel's Grimoire and have learned both SBs from them. Are they worth holding onto for any reason or should I use them as Rosetta Stones at this point?

My general rule with natural 5* stuff is that even if I don't need it for synergy, would I use it if I got another and could combine into a 6*? If so, or if I'm unsure, I keep it around just in case I get another one. The value of a single Rosetta is not high.

Also, the books would actually be pretty good if Core Synergy ever came up. Not sure if it ever will.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rujasu posted:

Also, the books would actually be pretty good if Core Synergy ever came up. Not sure if it ever will.

Monday dailies!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So speaking of pullchat, I actually fell out of the game for a bit due to being busy with other stuff. I even missed out on the MC2 event due to being in Japan that week, which stings. I rather wanted MC2 for Rinoa and Rydia.

Even so, I was definitely sticking around to get Rosa and Edge. I sure wasn't going to miss being able to put together The Team from FFIV at last.

And hey, the banner has relics for Rosa, Edge and Rydia! I've wanted a unique for Rydia for ages, I never got the ice whip, and having the dragon for Rydia would be cool and characterful. So gently caress it, let's do two 11-pulls. It even involves a bit of whaling, but gently caress it all. Let's see how the game decides to gently caress over my optimism!

Well

Uh

CRYSTALS BE PRAISED, I guess. :v:

Also, if you want to talk about the game hitting your nostalgia feels, this made me smile more than it really should have.

Looking forward to the bonus battles to rip apart. Team's already doing damage to the top end of the regular event. I suppose I should also pick up Rikku while I'm at it.

I'm also a little tempted to try going for Edge's weapon before it goes away - he seems like an okay character since Celerity, Ninja and Thief are no longer junk skillsets. Thing is, for really high-end stuff I usually run a mage team, which means having the two I got is great but Edge would be mostly for gimmick runs.

Is there any word on when orb breaking/melding will be added, by the way? Been looking forward to that for a while now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a general order of characters that are great? I just have a ton of growth eggs and I don't know in what order to level people up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a general order of characters that are great? I just have a ton of growth eggs and I don't know in what order to level people up.

Do you have, at 50/65:

1) A Retaliator
2) A Good White Mage
3) A Good Breakdown User
4) Josef level broken so you can grind for Double Hit
5) Folks who can do various double attack for Retaliate
6) Enough casters to run a mage party

If the answer to any of these is "no", level up people in that order of priority. If you have all of that, do whatever, really.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm new to this so I was looking more for: "good white mages are X y and z."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

rujasu posted:

It is basically the 4* version of Launch. Not the highest priority because it doesn't provide any effects, but it is one of the best pure-damage melee skills available, and anyone with Combat 4 can use it. If you've already honed Breakdowns, Dismissal, Steal Power, 4* Spellblades, etc. and have plenty of orbs left over, then sure, go for it, especially if you want to use melee characters without Support or Celerity in their skillset. You don't need it though.

I'd also like to add that Pound cannot miss, so you can hit bosses like Hyde with it, and still hit through being blinded. That still hasn't been enough for me to hone it much, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Eiko, Lenna, Garnet, Arc, Mog sometimes.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lenna had the highest base mind stat in the game but none of the healers are terrible at healing if that's all you care about.

I like Y'shtola - she was my first 65 - but really use whoever you want, even without realm synergy they'll all do the job well enough.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have a certain team preference? The game has a lot of very viable characters, so a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the relics you own.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who you want to use is mostly gonna be about who you like personally and who you have relics for. Eventually also who you can level break but that is less important for a while and eventually you'll be able to level break everyone at least once with no issues.

For instance with White Mages you could use Arc, Rosa, Lenna, Mog, Aerith, Selphie, Eiko, Yuna, Vanille, or Y'Shtola with little to zero functional difference. While there are stat differences and what these characters can bring besides white magic can differ, who you want to use as a white mage comes down to personal preference. Having one of their relics obviously raises their priority. Eventually you'll have them all leveled and can switch based on realm synergy.

So basically the first questions to answer are: Are you drawn to any given characters/games and what relics do you have?

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

gently caress osmose.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Here is a list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3thgk4/character_tier_list_japan_version/

It was posted a month ago based on the Japan version, so it should be good enough for global

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I was going to stop with the 100 gem pulls but this one got me a five star so I guess I'm carrying on. Only the Assassin Knife or whatever, but a five star is a five star.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

McDragon posted:

Well I was going to stop with the 100 gem pulls but this one got me a five star so I guess I'm carrying on. Only the Assassin Knife or whatever, but a five star is a five star.

Dragon Whisker with the 100 gem pull :3:

too bad I already had the ice whip...kinda hard to make use of TWO FFIV whips isn't it?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Whoever you get a relic for really. Most character's default limit breaks are garbage and barely worth wasting a turn on to use. The relics will unlock new limit breaks that make that character suddenly very very useful for your team. So if you can stand waiting a bit I'd recommend throwing those growth eggs at whoever the relic pull god chooses to bless.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

EGSunBro posted:

Who you want to use is mostly gonna be about who you like personally and who you have relics for. Eventually also who you can level break but that is less important for a while and eventually you'll be able to level break everyone at least once with no issues.

For instance with White Mages you could use Arc, Rosa, Lenna, Mog, Aerith, Selphie, Eiko, Yuna, Vanille, or Y'Shtola with little to zero functional difference. While there are stat differences and what these characters can bring besides white magic can differ, who you want to use as a white mage comes down to personal preference. Having one of their relics obviously raises their priority. Eventually you'll have them all leveled and can switch based on realm synergy.

So basically the first questions to answer are: Are you drawn to any given characters/games and what relics do you have?

I think what he's looking for is more like Y'shtola has breakdown access, and I think I remember her being not a frail character? Mog has dancing 5 which is poo poo now but will be amazing for multiple enemy boss fights later, he is also tanky as gently caress for a white mage. He might have 3* black for some good stop application but I'm probably wrong. Yuna, aerith and eiko both have 5* white magic and 5* summons. Eiko has a base shellga sb and access to the mana paen bard spell, but is suoer frail. Aerith has a pretty decent stop and silence applying base sb. Lenna has some lower level dancer access, but has a nice aoe regen base sb as well as a poo poo ton of mind for diaga spamming. Vanille and tellah are bith decent sages, with 5* white magic and 4* black magic. Hope has 4* white and 5* black but makes just as good a healer as anyone else. Arc also has a shellga base sb, but doesn't bring much more than white magic. I hear he'll be buffed to have more summon access or something though so that's cool. Um, paladin cecil has 4* white magic, but not good mind. Don't make him a healer, but do use him for easier shellga/protega access.

Basically I'd suggest to prioritize y'shtola and eiko for healers and some access to utility. Mog and paladin cecil are good in general for other reasons, and a sage will help you with both1 white and black magic. Also grab one of the summoner dudes if you did/didn't get eiko.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So I'm going to japan for work for 2 weeks later tonight.

Is there anything I should know about to keep my FFRK running smoothly over there? Do I just set my time zone to local, and log in every day like normal? Or don't set time zones, and just play it using my normal PST? Or am I hosed and it won't work?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Here is a list:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3thgk4/character_tier_list_japan_version/

It was posted a month ago based on the Japan version, so it should be good enough for global

Nice thanks.

Sprite141 posted:

I think what he's looking for is more like Y'shtola has breakdown access, and I think I remember her being not a frail character? Mog has dancing 5 which is poo poo now but will be amazing for multiple enemy boss fights later, he is also tanky as gently caress for a white mage. He might have 3* black for some good stop application but I'm probably wrong. Yuna, aerith and eiko both have 5* white magic and 5* summons. Eiko has a base shellga sb and access to the mana paen bard spell, but is suoer frail. Aerith has a pretty decent stop and silence applying base sb. Lenna has some lower level dancer access, but has a nice aoe regen base sb as well as a poo poo ton of mind for diaga spamming. Vanille and tellah are bith decent sages, with 5* white magic and 4* black magic. Hope has 4* white and 5* black but makes just as good a healer as anyone else. Arc also has a shellga base sb, but doesn't bring much more than white magic. I hear he'll be buffed to have more summon access or something though so that's cool. Um, paladin cecil has 4* white magic, but not good mind. Don't make him a healer, but do use him for easier shellga/protega access.

Basically I'd suggest to prioritize y'shtola and eiko for healers and some access to utility. Mog and paladin cecil are good in general for other reasons, and a sage will help you with both1 white and black magic. Also grab one of the summoner dudes if you did/didn't get eiko.

Also good info thanks. For the record I didn't mean just white mages but just all roles in general.

KnoxZone posted:

Do you have a certain team preference? The game has a lot of very viable characters, so a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the relics you own.

I've only ever played 7 and 10 and the one with Vaan and the bunny girl so no I don't have any preferences at all. I just want to min max.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pander posted:

So I'm going to japan for work for 2 weeks later tonight.

Is there anything I should know about to keep my FFRK running smoothly over there? Do I just set my time zone to local, and log in every day like normal? Or don't set time zones, and just play it using my normal PST? Or am I hosed and it won't work?

The global client doesn't care what time your device says it is, so no need to mess with time zones. Depending on how old it is and what type of signal it uses, your phone itself might not function for its primary intended purpose in Japan (they use different ranges but 3G signals should still work), but you should still be able to play over wireless networks regardless.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Here is a list:

I'll be posting an updated version of that list sometime this month. It'll actually have pretty significant changes since quite a lot has happened in the interim, character balance wise.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This spreadsheet seems to have all of the stats, equippable items, usable abilities, etc. for every character sorted by role: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uXDQwoLLyKGwdPiRg0zxfeFFRLQINlg7-l-oebN8XnU/edit#gid=0

You could probably use that to, for example, look for the tankiest White Mage you can get or something like that.

Page 12 of this document also has stats for most (all?) of the global characters, including what abilities and equipment they can use: http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

My suggestion is to figure out a list of abilities you want to carry and then create a party (it will probably be a Retaliate party at first) that can field all of those abilities with high stats to fuel them by using that chart. So for example you can look at the chart and see that Cloud, Auron, and Sephiroth all can use Retaliate and have good Strength stats. However you'll probably realize that Sephiroth can only use two types of weapons, and that Cloud can use Spellblades and Auron can use Support. If you look slightly further down the list you'll notice that Gilgamesh can use every piece of melee equipment there is, which will give him access to realm synergy gear that the others don't (like Axes, for example). So generally you'll want to look at stats and abilities to get a preliminary idea, but equipment will often be a deciding factor too.

This can help you figure out what RMs to shoot for, by the way: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3nig11/best_in_slot_rm_and_you_aka_who_shouldnt_be/

Edit: Looking at this sheet, Mog seems hella good. Why isn't he more popular? Or maybe he is, I dunno.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 8, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zurai posted:

I'll be posting an updated version of that list sometime this month. It'll actually have pretty significant changes since quite a lot has happened in the interim, character balance wise.
That's great. I found the original version quite insightful.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh wow, I think I'm in love with Golbez. Sure his magic stat is a little lower than some other black mages, but he can take hits! This is so much better than Vivi keeling over after two trash mobs in a row sneeze on him.

And Rosa not being able to use Rods just made me realize how few staves I have. Unless I luck into her relic I doubt she'll be getting much use.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

djfooboo posted:

Here is a list:

Just worth noting about this list, that being so far in the future also means it isn't 100% accurate for us. For example in the west Rinoa is pretty easily the best Black Mage-type right now, just because she's the only one that can hit level 80 right now. Or our Auron isn't quite as good, since they haven't given him some important buffs here. Still, it's a good guideline to work towards, since we'll eventually get there.

Also it's been said before, but having access to a characters Memory Crystal is massively important. Higher stats and access to a record materia > being "higher tier." In a similar fashion, having a character relic with a good Soul Break will bump up the viability of characters considerably. Especially if it's a Super Soul Break, an AoE heal, AoE haste or a protective protect and/or shell effect.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Subvisual Haze posted:

And Rosa not being able to use Rods just made me realize how few staves I have. Unless I luck into her relic I doubt she'll be getting much use.

I have the exact same problem. Both of my White Mage 5 stars are Rods.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
It's strange that you get Rods, and a mediocre one at best, in Rosa's event. Rosa can't use rods.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Armitage posted:

It's strange that you get Rods, and a mediocre one at best, in Rosa's event. Rosa can't use rods.

You also get Golbez, Rydia and their crystals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sitting at 106 mithril now. Really should just stockpile it for the next metagame defining banner. Or FFT if I can resist burning mithril for a long time.

As far as I know, the next metagame-defining banner is the FFT banner, unless they really, really rearrange the SSSBreakfast for us. A lot of the stuff there is "eh, okay :geno:" or is just really strong damage to use with Lifesiphon shenanigans, and if I recall we don't get any of the wall/hastega relics there except Mighty Guard VIII.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

As far as I know, the next metagame-defining banner is the FFT banner, unless they really, really rearrange the SSSBreakfast for us. A lot of the stuff there is "eh, okay :geno:" or is just really strong damage to use with Lifesiphon shenanigans, and if I recall we don't get any of the wall/hastega relics there except Mighty Guard VIII.

This is why I'm saving all my mythril for an 11-pull on Beatrix 1 for melee synergy, 11-pull on Secret of Mana (if we get it) for nostalgia, and then two 11-pulls on the SSSB fest depending on how the relics sort out. Hopefully that'll have me positioned for 4 11-pulls on FFT. I might even break down and whale FFT since the iTunes gift card present I got for Christmas worked out very well during the SSB fest.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

KataraniSword posted:

Really hope they toss in at least one or two Wall or Hastega (besides Boon) relics, otherwise I don't know what to look forward to besides FFT I guess (which I'm not up to speed on, I just know everyone is giddy for it).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Subvisual Haze posted:

Oh wow, I think I'm in love with Golbez. Sure his magic stat is a little lower than some other black mages, but he can take hits! This is so much better than Vivi keeling over after two trash mobs in a row sneeze on him.

I want to use Golbez so bad but I don't have a good mage weapon he can use. My best stat stick is a Storm Staff and Golbez can't wield staves. :negative:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Rods are a thing of the past now that everyone is drawing Rosa's SB weapon. :shepspends::shepspends:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

kalensc posted:

FFT I guess (which I'm not up to speed on, I just know everyone is giddy for it).

Ramza's SSB sword relic SB is Hastega + Boost...ga (+50% ATK for party), his armor relic SB is Protectga + 40% party heal, his bracer relic SB is a 6-hit single target with a 100% stun
Agrias's SSB sword relic SB is a 4-hit all targets that can silence and paralyze, her shield SB is a 3-hit single target that reduces target ATK and MAG by -50%.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Man, I dunno. The SSSB banners Japan got were really good if you ask me; way way way better than the SSB banners we just had. 9 items per banner, three of which are SSB, and the rest are all good to great non-SSB character relics. No generic junk. Very few real stinkers.

Notables:
Banner 1: SSBs for Bartz, Aerith, and Lightning. Aerith's is an AoE heal with Auto-Life on the whole team (which I think bypasses "Don't get KO'd" requirements, although not sure). Thyrus for Wall, Lenna's AoE Haste & ATK +30% staff, Rikku's AoE ATK+30 & RES+50 shield.
Banner 2: SSB for Lulu, Vivi, and Rinoa. Kefka's cloak (AoE Haste & +MAG); Rosa's AoE Heal + revive; Ingus' AoE haste+protect; Celes' Runic Blade SB.
Banner 3: SSB for Locke, Terra, and Squall. Exdeath's super runic; Yuna's Lullaby Rod; Lulu's hairpin; Sabin with AoE Atk buff
Banner 4: SSB for Vanille (very large AoE heal + ability recover), Hope, and Tidus. Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire; Sazh's Vega 42s; Greg katana
Banner 5: SSB for Gilgamesh (attack + AoE strong regen), Sephiroth, and Pecil. Yuffie's instant %-based AoE heal, a couple AoE sap relics, Edge's katana again (that's THREE good katanas on one banner), Quina's Protectga+Shellga

I'd be willing to pull on each and every one of those. The SSSB celebration is followed immediately by Cloud's BSSB, and then FFT in a couple more banners. That glut of really good banners is why I'm even more bitter I didn't get a single 5* relic from this last desperate pull on the FFIV banner.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 8, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Hogama posted:

Ramza's SSB sword relic SB is Hastega + Boost...ga (+50% ATK for party), his armor relic SB is Protectga + 40% party heal, his bracer relic SB is a 6-hit single target with a 100% stun
Agrias's SSB sword relic SB is a 4-hit all targets that can silence and paralyze, her shield SB is a 3-hit single target that reduces target ATK and MAG by -50%.

:stare: (single banner contains both I presume?)

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, I dunno. The SSSB banners Japan got were really good if you ask me; way way way better than the SSB banners we just had. 9 items per banner, three of which are SSB, and the rest are all good to great non-SSB character relics. No generic junk. Very few real stinkers.

Notables:
Banner 1: SSBs for Bartz, Aerith, and Lightning. Aerith's is an AoE heal with Auto-Life on the whole team (which I think bypasses "Don't get KO'd" requirements, although not sure). Thyrus for Wall, Lenna's AoE Haste & ATK +30% staff, Rikku's AoE ATK+30 & RES+50 shield.
Banner 2: SSB for Lulu, Vivi, and Rinoa. Kefka's cloak (AoE Haste & +MAG); Rosa's AoE Heal + revive; Ingus' AoE haste+protect; Celes' Runic Blade SB.
Banner 3: SSB for Locke, Terra, and Squall. Exdeath's super runic; Yuna's Lullaby Rod; Lulu's hairpin; Sabin with AoE Atk buff
Banner 4: SSB for Vanille (very large AoE heal + ability recover), Hope, and Tidus. Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire; Sazh's Vega 42s; Greg katana
Banner 5: SSB for Gilgamesh (attack + AoE strong regen), Sephiroth, and Pecil. Yuffie's instant 5-based AoE heal, a couple AoE sap relics, Edge's katana again (that's THREE good katanas on one banner), Quina's Protectga+Shellga

I'd be willing to pull on each and every one of those. The SSSB celebration is followed immediately by Cloud's BSSB, and then FFT in a couple more banners. That glut of really good banners is why I'm even more bitter I didn't get a single 5* relic from this last desperate pull on the FFIV banner.

:stare: (pending the Global banner adjustments)

Welp, normally I'm all "why bother hoarding" but I can't see a banner coming up on bantha that comes anywhere close to any of those.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

kalensc posted:

:stare: (single banner contains both I presume?)

Even better. Single banner contains all 5 of those relics -- and the non-SSB relics are double draw rate, so you actually have a ~5% chance per pull to pull a relic for Ramza and an additional ~3% chance to pull a relic for Agrias. ~8% spread among the two of them, per pull, and even the weakest SB of the lot (Ramza's Throw Stone) is still a 6 hit attack with 100% stun chance.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

JP SSSB banners

Seeing how DeNA has altered the Beginner Banner and SSB banners already, changes are sure to come and likely none for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nice thanks.

Also good info thanks. For the record I didn't mean just white mages but just all roles in general.

I've only ever played 7 and 10 and the one with Vaan and the bunny girl so no I don't have any preferences at all. I just want to min max.

Oh. Well then, basically it goes like this.

Combat is a decent if boring staple that most guys have if they aren't mages. Don't worry about it, but it can have some uses if you need a filler ability.

The black mages are for good elemental dps and aoes, but the hones for abilities take forever and you'll end up needing realm specific upgraded 3* mage weapons or have luck in pulling mage relics. They're really good and super powerful, so it's worth it.

Spell blades are the physical variant of black mages, but they really don't have much to go for past the elemental damage. It is a huge damage boost, and totally worth it.

Also in the physical elemental moves are dragoons, who currently only have a use using aero and blizzard jump. Again, this elemental boost is worth it despite being equivalent to spellblade skills, as it gives certain characters more use.

White mages don't need barely any hones at all, most spells don't see more than pne or Most white mages are good enough to use as cure's mind scales differently than magic or something. They also have some drat good support, but it's all at 4*.

Support is a great skill set, as it gives access to status attacks, can buff physical damage and more importantly have the breakdowns. The breakdowns do damage and reduce a monster's stat by a percentage for a few turns. It's really great.

Thieves get the equivalent to breakdowns that don't damage the enemy, but instead buff themselves. It's insanely good for the breakdown level access alone.

Dancers get aoe breaks/breakdowns that do no damage. Multi-boss fights aren't common but I can see that being useful later.

Bards can aoe buff magic and physical attacks, but it is weaker than the white magic/support single target version. At 4* they also get a seperate shellga and protega ability, which is the same as the white magic version. That may sound lame, but those are some really good abilities.

Celerity has access to a few super good moves, like the ability to reset the monster's atb. They are now getting a 4* better version of the support's status attacks I think.

Summons are aoe, they only have 1 charge a hone and most only hit once. They're getting buffed so most hit twice now though. They have some stupidly good utility in carbuncle and kirin (though kirin's aoe regen can now be done by a white mage since a new skill was released). Expect these to eventually be a really good source of damage, but like black magic it will take a long time and need magic boosting poo poo.

Ninja's used to be a joke, and are now getting some ok abilities. That's all I have to say there.

Samurai have access to 4* aoe physical moves, which is rather nice. They also get an insta-death move that's rather strong and cheap. Most people use them for the pathetically low ranking 2* ability retaliate, which is a buff that causes any physical attack against the user to miss and then the weakest monster gets hit. Any physical attack, including your team's.

Last but not least (technically) is the monk. They used to be as poo poo as ninjas, but now have access to the cheapest (though actually good) aoe physical move, as well as a really good 4* attack-up damaging move/phyisical boost.

Blue magic doesn't exist in the game despite having orbs for ability creation for a long time apparently. Many characters are super weak due to the expectancy of this I guess.

• Locked thread