Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Obama has announced that one seat at the SOTU will be empty, representing the victims of gun violence.

Ted Cruz the said he'd leave a seat open too, but for a different reason.

I didn't even have to look to see what the reason was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

Cruz is now also going to leave a chair free for all the children killed by masturbation and spilled seed.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I could spend the next hour and a half painstakingly putting together a sprawling effortpost of industry and academic sources to explain why but I'm smart enough to know that the thread would (hopefully) be miles away and it would do fuckall to change your mind regardless.

It would be totally understandable if you didn't want to do this, but if you did put together a huge effortpost about factory farming I would be really interested in reading it. It's a subject where it's hard for a newcomer to separate fact from fiction, so I would love to read an informed analysis of it.

edit:

A Winner is Jew posted:

I assumed it would be Clint Eastwood's seat.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Obama has announced that one seat at the SOTU will be empty, representing the victims of gun violence.

Clearly, the acceptable way to perform an abortion is with a gunshot to the abdomen.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why would a white guy be afraid of racists?

Because they're dangerous, violent and hate "race traitors" almost as much as minorities. That and I have a tendency to speak out that gets me into trouble with various rednecks which could lead to getting shot in some states.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Shouldn't a "pro-life" candidate care about gun violence? Or kids after they're born?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's a good joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gregg Abbot announced a thing, well series of things:

quote:

In a clear attempt to further distance the State of Texas from mainstream America, GOP Governor Greg Abbott has just unveiled what he would like to become nine new amendments to the U.S. Constitution. Among them are several that appear to be aimed at landmark and historic U.S. Supreme Court decisions, like last June's, which found bans on same-sex marriage unconstitutional.

Abbott's proposed amendments, which he announced at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, read like an anti-government, states' rights fan's dream:

Prohibit congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one state.
Require Congress to balance its budget.
Prohibit administrative agencies from creating federal law.
Prohibit administrative agencies from pre-empting state law.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law
Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the states to override a federal law or regulation.
Several, including the one that would require a seven-justice super-majority vote of the Supreme Court, and limiting the federal government's powers to those expressly delegated to it in the Constitution, could be used against same-sex marriage or the rights of same-sex couples.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...me_sex_marriage

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Shouldn't a "pro-life" candidate care about gun violence? Or kids after they're born?

Huh, it's almost as if there's some other motivation running just beneath the surface of pro-life activism. Can't imagine what that might be...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're not as much "pro-life" as they are "pro-birth", mostly to teach those sluts a lesson about keeping their legs closed lest they receive an expensive and time-consuming gift from God.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They should. But they don't.

Undifferentiated clusters of cells and proto-humans incapable of surviving on their own are more important than fully-formed, sentient human beings because religion or something.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Politicians named "Abbot" or slight variations thereof shouldn't be trusted anywhere imo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LeeMajors posted:

Undifferentiated clusters of cells and proto-humans incapable of surviving on their own are more important than fully-formed, sentient human beings because religion or something.

Doubly so for a strange reason that makes the neighborhood dogs unhappy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't get too excited, it's from a notorious liberal rag.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

The voice of her generation.

Every generation produces its own author/actor/director/producer auteur that speaks for it culturally.

Before you judge her and her generation, remember that for us it was Kevin Smith

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought millennials were stuck with Kanye.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Every generation produces its own author/actor/director/producer auteur that speaks for it culturally.

Before you judge her and her generation, remember that for us it was Kevin Smith

Mine was Kurt Cobain, sorry.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People arguing with fishmech :allears:

It's great that the mods are willing to ignore the cheerleading rule when it comes to posters they don't like

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zoux posted:

Mine was Kurt Cobain, sorry.

Mine was Tori. :)

Her daughter is singing with her on albums now. :stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Booourns posted:

It's great that the mods are willing to ignore the cheerleading rule when it comes to posters they don't like

Pedantically arguing about the pedantic arguer

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Each 'generation' is too fragmented to have a single voice. I'm 32 and, while technically a millennial, my 22 year old 'co'-millennials assuredly have a profoundly different view of the world.

Fried Chicken posted:

I hadn't seen a Smith movie in like 10 years, and when I tried to revisit Chasing Amy it was unwatchable.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I too would prefer sawing off a foot without anesthesia to leaping headfirst into a woodchipper, but ideally we could avoid both.

A more accurate comparison would be putting yourself feet first into a woodchipper. MIGF is the woodchipper.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

I will take Fishmech over MIGF any day of the week although it's a pretty slim margin.

On the contrary, while I find myself *gag* agreeing with Fishmech more often, MIGF and Boosted are way funnier.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I guess Elliot Spitzer's hooker couldn't make it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Important question: where will Clint Eastwood be during all of this?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zoux posted:

Don't get too excited, it's from a notorious liberal rag.

It's worth noting that Breitbart's real issue with Cruz is his proposal to increase legal immigration visas. That's it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

It's worth noting that Breitbart's real issue with Cruz is his proposal to increase legal immigration visas. That's it.

I don't give a gently caress as long as they cut his legs out from under him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

Each 'generation' is too fragmented to have a single voice. I'm 32 and, while technically a millennial, my 22 year old 'co'-millennials assuredly have a profoundly different view of the world.

I hadn't seen a Smith movie in like 10 years, and when I tried to revisit Chasing Amy it was unwatchable.

Uhh, Chasing Amy has always been horrible. Clerks and Dogma, maybe Mallrats and Strike Back are the only things he's done that are worthy of a re-watch.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Uhh, Chasing Amy has always been horrible. Clerks and Dogma, maybe Mallrats and Strike Back are the only things he's done that are worthy of a re-watch.

I tried those too. All hard to watch. Except Dogma.

I don't think his style held up well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just secede from the US and get the Civil War II over with already goddamn.

The first one took 20-30 years to happen I don't see why the second one should have to hurry along.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
The message that past or perceived promiscuity doesn't make a person different from anyone else, or make them incapable of wanting simple romantic intimacy, was a good one that the movie got through reasonably well.

Honestly the topics of sexuality that it addressed are still ones that still need addressing at the cultural level.

But yeah, Kevin Smith movies sat better with me as a teenager, rewatching a few of them was a little uncomfortable.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The first one took 20-30 years to happen I don't see why the second one should have to hurry along.

End of Hillary's term would make it 16 years under tyranny. Close enough to start RaHoWa.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just secede from the US and get the Civil War II over with already goddamn.

These manchildren will never get the balls to do anything but fantasize about it. They wouldn't even know what to do if they were allowed to secede beyond whine that the mean President isn't giving them all the support their noble cause deserves. Y'all Queda's dumbass "protest" is about all that is likely to happen. The endless tantrums will likely continue into the future, however.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Who would be Buchanan 2.0 and do nothing while secessionists stack the deck against the Union though?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Who would be Buchanan 2.0 and do nothing while secessionists stack the deck against the Union though?

That would be Clinton.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Booourns posted:

How is that cheerleading?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Your question assumes that the abortion issue is actually about saving lives.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Geostomp posted:

These manchildren will never get the balls to do anything but fantasize about it. They wouldn't even know what to do if they were allowed to secede beyond whine that the mean President isn't giving them all the support their noble cause deserves. Y'all Queda's dumbass "protest" is about all that is likely to happen. The endless tantrums will likely continue into the future, however.

I have to disagree. I know the original post was probably a joke, but there is no way the Right can run this hot indefinitely. Something is going to burst sooner or later and it will not be pretty.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I have to disagree. I know the original post was probably a joke, but there is no way the Right can run this hot indefinitely. Something is going to burst sooner or later and it will not be pretty.

It's already burst loose. They're killing Muslims and burning mosques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

LeeMajors posted:

If you buy into the idea that people are inherently sinful, things like poverty, abuse, and oppression are the result of poor choices, and the misery those thing bring is just punishment from the universe, then it makes sense to prioritize the lives of embryos over actual people. Proto-humans are nothings that have done nothing; they're just little blobs of potential who could possibly be really good, and leaving that possibility open is much more important than reducing the suffering of born-humans who are really only suffering because they chose to squander their own potential.

• Locked thread