Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Suikoden Tactics was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Play Super Robot Wars.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I'm playing Fire Emblem for the first time now and so far I'd say I prefer a lot of things in Tactics over it. The only things I like more in FE are the pretty pictures, battle speed, and items.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

umm the animation?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I would love if FF/Orge Tactics had FE's cool battle animations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I prefer Tactics because it doesn't end turns when I attack. It's so loving simple, why does no other strategy game do that right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Coughing Hobo posted:

I prefer Tactics because it doesn't end turns when I attack. It's so loving simple, why does no other strategy game do that right?

Hmm? Plenty do. Devil Survivors especially does this because there are skills that let you attack twice or move after attacking.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm pretty sure FE has an option to turn off Auto-Ending turns

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The thing is that FE and FFT require completely different styles of tactics and put emphasis on much different aspects of strategy. Like, FE is all about positioning and managing counterattacks; because of the way the mechanics work (what with auto-countering and such), the vast majority of combat actually happens on the enemy phase, and the idea is that you want to position your units in such a way that you funnel the right enemies to the right player units. FFT, on the other hand, is completely about the individual unit. Each one can be individually tweaked to go through different classes, learn different skills and abilities, you have brave and faith numbers to manipulate, strengths and weaknesses to different elements, etc, etc. FE sort of has aspects like this (especially in the more recent ones), but in general it doesn't really care about any individual unit. In addition, in FFT your actual position on the board generally doesn't matter as much as long as you don't turn your back to the enemy, or you're not at a huge height disadvantage (both of which are things that FE does away entirely for the most part, incidentally), especially once you start introducing stuff like Calculators and summons.

I'm not saying they can't be compared, but they don't have much in common beyond "is an SRPG" so it's kinda weird to act like one is definitively superior to the other.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I'm getting into FFIV. First off, the ability to save anywhere feels pretty good, if not awkward. Secondly, is it me or was MIDI common on SNES? And thirdly, does C/Kain's Jump or Decil's Dark Wave cost anything besides time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
what else was the snes going to use for music besides midi exactly

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_60V8UdYEY

Shame about not having any space for a game to go with 1m of music though! :v:

Also Cecil's Dark Wave attack consumes some HP. Jump just burns some time but you can avoid some damage while he's in the air.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Jump may seem pointless but it can save your butt in a few later battles. And yeah, Dark Wave drains HP, so don't be too reckless with it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So basically be reckless with Jump and try not to Dark Wave too much. Got it.

bloodychill posted:

Jump may seem pointless but it can save your butt in a few later battles. And yeah, Dark Wave drains HP, so don't be too reckless with it.

Doesn't Jump do more damage than a regular attack?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

widespread posted:

Doesn't Jump do more damage than a regular attack?

It does, but I'm not sure if it does more damage considering jump takes a little more time than regular attacks.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Fire Emblem has ruined other strategy games for me because they're just so drat quick compared to anything else. Any other one I've tried just feels like a huge slog by comparison.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think Advance Wars is the only other strategy game I've seen that does end their turn after they attack.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm pretty sure FE has an option to turn off Auto-Ending turns

I assume they were talking about any specific unit, attacking with a non-mounted unit will end their turn.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FE needs a "reset battle" option or at least a load-save option. That was probably the most frustrating aspect of Awakening while I was still low on the learning curve. "Great, half my guys are dead and I need to manually quit and restart the game to restart the battle." Just needlessly frustrating.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been a long time since I played it so I don't remember if Awakening has it but most (3)DS games have a soft reset if you hold L + R + Start + Select

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

FE needs a "reset battle" option or at least a load-save option. That was probably the most frustrating aspect of Awakening while I was still low on the learning curve. "Great, half my guys are dead and I need to manually quit and restart the game to restart the battle." Just needlessly frustrating.

You can insta restart by holding L+R+Start IIRC.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

You can insta restart by holding L+R+Start IIRC.

This does work but it's still a lot slower than doing some variation of Menu -> System -> Restart Battle like a lot of games have.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

bloodychill posted:

The GBA games are much better in this regard. Awakening is still quick and all, but there are hangups like this that make it a little more annoying.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

This does work but it's still a lot slower than doing variation of Menu -> System -> Restart Battle like a lot of games have.

I mean the point of perma death and auto saving was that you just lived with the hand that got dealt to you

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erg posted:

I mean the point of perma death and auto saving was that you just lived with the hand that got dealt to you

In a game where a large mechanic and story section deals with the children your people spawn, "living with the hand that got dealt to you" was missing out a lot of the game. So, no, I reset that poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

In a game where a large mechanic and story section deals with the children your people spawn, "living with the hand that got dealt to you" was missing out a lot of the game. So, no, I reset that poo poo.

Why not play on Casual then? (or whatever the 'no-permadeath' mode is, I forget.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Erg posted:

I don't know anybody who doesn't just reset when they lose a character in fire emblem unless they are doing a specific ironman run or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just put it on no permadeath because I didn't want to reset 40 times for one map

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't know anybody who doesn't just reset when they lose a character in fire emblem unless they are doing a specific ironman run or something.

Even the devs do it, so it's not like they didn't design it around the idea.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Why not play on Casual then? (or whatever the 'no-permadeath' mode is, I forget.)

I think that would change your playstyle a lot/make things easy if your dudes were basically expendable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The risk of having to reset still affects how you play. With no permadeath you can suicide units into enemies to kill them. Even if you reset after deaths, you still need to be careful during the actual gameplay.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Then don't play with perma death on?

I mean I've done the same thing in older games, but they've got a mode that lets you ignore that now

Unless it's more of a personal achievement thing to play in classic mode. In which case I guess I understand

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erg posted:

Unless it's more of a personal achievement thing to play in classic mode. In which case I guess I understand

It's this and as others said, it's more challenging to play in a way to try to keep everyone alive, which I enjoyed. I've heard a nice compromise is playing Casual/Impossible but I'm not sure I'm up to it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's this and as others said, it's more challenging to play in a way to try to keep everyone alive, which I enjoyed. I've heard a nice compromise is playing Casual/Impossible but I'm not sure I'm up to it.

Haha, I tried casual/Hard and realized it was zero fun for me and just went back to classic/normal

I get what you're saying about changing the way you play then

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is a fundamental difference between playing on Classic and resetting and playing on Casual: The former could be basically read as "Add defeat condition: any unit dies".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

keep the fire emblem casuals in the final fantasy thread where they belong

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Seems there's a possibility that the Final Fantasy Adventure/Sword of Mana remake may not be released on Vita in English countries. This really cheeses me off, it it's true. It's the one game I've been waiting for still slated for Vita. What a waste. I can't blame them too much due to Sony's treatment of the system, but it just drives the needle in further.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the bright side, it's a Mana game released after 2000 so it's probably going to suck anyway? It's not like their last attempt at remaking FFA was that good to begin with.

e: Haha, just watched that video and they didn't even acknowledge Sword of Mana existed. Don't blame them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since the mobile version was probably the base and the Vita just a port, since it would be a lot easier to do it that way around, I doubt we're missing out on much anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why is there a guide for Final Fantasy 13 Hallway Simulator

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

cause every big budget game has a guide, dickeye

i wouldn't mind an FF13 artbook, it is a really pretty game, sometimes i used to buy guides just cause they had pretty art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Because it actually has a lot of things that theoretically need a guide such as boss strategies and a large relatively open area?