Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jeherrin posted:

SAC can water down the asbestos for removal purposes.

You mean with piss right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

You mean with piss right

Well, yeah.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So today was a pretty good day. Even though it was rainy and lovely all day, I got work inside, and the company gave us the other half of our Christmas bonus today:

And on top of that the boss specifically said not one, but two things I do are now going to be the new company standard.
2016 is off to a pretty fantastic start.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I already have enough asbestos exposure so fuggit why not?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty excited that you're going to hire a master abater. Sounds like you're almost done.

Tell us about the garage.
I'm hoping to buy the 3/4ac of vacant/wooded land behind the house and build a big shop/garage at the back. Current dream plan is about 30x60, 4 bays, full commercial size door on one (separated by an actual wall from the others), regular doors on the other 3. Barn roof with a big fat I-beam as the peak with a chainfall and dolly riding on it... 100+psf floors in the attic, pallet shelving, and a hole in the floor over the big bay and one of the small ones. Plus a rolling gantry crane. I never want to use a shop crane again, and I'm tired of tripping over spare parts and drivetrains in my work area.

This would cost $texas so it's unlikely to happen. :sigh:

Rhyno posted:

Throw a NEAI party this summer and enlist everyone to help

I'm seriously OCD/perfectionist about stuff. I'll let people help with demolition, but no one does construction except me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

scuz posted:

If A Guy wanted to score a part-time-only gig at a garage for extra money (my paycheck is plugging 3 holes in a 4 hole boat), and all he's done so far mechanically is kinda basic (replace head gaskets, repair tires, change oil, replace suspensions, brake work), how would he go about making his case to said garage? My naive brain is wondering whether a garage would need A Guy to do piddly time-consuming-brain-numbing work over the weekend.

You could also try part stores. You have automotive experience and want part time, so you would have a decent chance of being hired. Trust me, it doesn't take much to get hired :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It's a balmy 32 right now with flurries!

I do have heat in one stall side and plan to put heat in the 2 stall this spring. I need to run some wire to the panel in the basement. Can't be taking up precious space in the 3rd stall electrical panel!

I work outside and it gets to dark to quick at night, so the laziness sets in and I just read a book or something. Though I have been doing misc house projects paint touch ups, doing misc touch ups in the basement, etc

Supposed to be a high of 14 tomorrow. I'm putting off pulling the seat out of my XJ to fix it because of it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yo scuz I'm makin a batch of that chili recipe RIGHT NOW

we don't have a food processor so I'm stuck with canned chili powder but otherwise it's all the same

Just stuck it in the oven to cook about 15 minutes ago, but it smells fantastic. will post trip report later.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not sure if anyone else noticed but Mad Max: Fury Road was declared the #1 wide-released movie of 2015 by rottentomatoes.com.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just been out to see Hateful Eight and have a few beers with a friend. Loved it. If you like Tarantino and/or westerns, go see it.

Tried some Brewdog Tactical Nuclear Penguin. It's interesting, but not really my thing, I think I'll stick to "normal" beers and whiskies. Would go well with a nice steak, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i have never had beanless chili before but NOW I UNDERSTAND

props to scuz for the recipe, this poo poo is delicious

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That looks like chili soup.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I thought I was in the gbs food horror thread for a sec.

You did good, kid.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

That looks like chili soup.

yeah i went a little heavy on the liquid, something to keep in mind for next time.

at least it's loving GOOD soup, and I made some rice to help soak it up with.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, pro rear end chili tip: use a dark beer, coffee, or Mexican Coke for liquid (or all 3). Also dump some chipotles from a can into it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Beanless chili is the only chili so I'm glad you now understand.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'm working at the NAIAS this year on the FCA stand. The cars arrived today. I want a Viper ACR so loving bad right now, holy poo poo. I can justify spending £90k on a car which has the steering wheel on the wrong side and costs almost $1/mile in gas to drive....right?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Supposed to be a high of 14 tomorrow. I'm putting off pulling the seat out of my XJ to fix it because of it.

If you ever need to borrow a welder or air tools, shoot me a pm, I'm just a wee bit north of you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

yeah i went a little heavy on the liquid, something to keep in mind for next time.

at least it's loving GOOD soup, and I made some rice to help soak it up with.

Know what would have soaked up some of that liquid?

Some beans.

Phone posted:

Oh, pro rear end chili tip: use a dark beer, coffee, or Mexican Coke for liquid (or all 3). Also dump some chipotles from a can into it.

The beer is pro, I've used Newcastle and it worked pretty well; by some fluke I bought 12 bottles instead of a six pack, but I didn't let them go to waste... cooking chili is a long and thirsty process.

A can of roasted green hatch chilis is good too but it looks like Enourmo roasted his own which is even better.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Enourmo posted:

i have never had beanless chili before but NOW I UNDERSTAND

Why two burners for two peppers? I do think I'm going to give this a try and minimize the liquid when I get to the consistency of that second picture.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terminus Est posted:

Why two burners for two peppers? I do think I'm going to give this a try and minimize the liquid when I get to the consistency of that second picture.

because i initially layed them all the way across the burners thinking it would be better, and i just never consolidated.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My old friend Mr. Check Engine Light dropped back in.

The first time I looked at O2 sensor data, it looked like both sensors were working.

I looked at them again tonight. The rear (post cat) sensor is stuck pretty close to full rich:

I guess maybe the rear sensor did take a poo poo. The only way I could get it to budge was by downshifting and coasting, which shuts off the injectors (both sensors would go full lean when I did that, but the rear one lagged significantly). Going to change it and see what happens. Just can't seem to figure out if NTK or Denso is the OEM, Rockauto claims both of them are.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 9, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That chilli looks like what you would define as a "Stew"?

I though chilli used mince?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ferremit posted:

chili or "chili con carne" requires chili (chili) and carne (meat, generally beef)

all other details such as what form the beef is in are negotiable

and we've been over that i used too much liquid

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

No one outside of America is allowed to comment on chili.

:v:

Two days before I go back to work...been drunk and reasonably sober twice today, time for a third now that wife went to sleep.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ferremit posted:

If you use ground meat in chili, you're probably a bad person with bad taste.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you ever need to borrow a welder or air tools, shoot me a pm, I'm just a wee bit north of you

Will do, thanks for the offer. Once we get moved and I don't have to worry about my tools getting stolen I'm going to gear up a better workspace for myself.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Know what would have soaked up some of that liquid?

Some beans.

Or some tomato paste to thicken it up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If your chili is soupy, it is just a sign you didn't cook it long enough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

If you use ground meat in chili, you're probably a bad person with bad taste.

Tri Tip or GTFO

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Tri Tip or GTFO

That...that isn't a bad idea.

Although I'd be too tempted to just quick cook it and make sammiches.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I used some ground beef in mine, but only because it was close to a week in the fridge so I chucked (:v:) it in with the rest.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Tri Tip or GTFO

Ground beef is a supplement to the other beef. The ground beef adds some thickness and texture to the chili.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ground beef is a supplement to the other beef. The ground beef adds some thickness and texture to the chili.

I always use pork or lamb for that.

Or deer if I have it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Where as the rest of the world would say that if you use chunk beef, its a stew. :colbert:

And a quick google says that Chilli Con Carne is made with mince. Cant do anything right you lot.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

Where as the rest of the world would say that if you use chunk beef, its a stew. :colbert:

And a quick google says that Chilli Con Carne is made with mince. Cant do anything right you lot.

That's a lie.

We don't call it mince :v: your convict Google I'd giving bad answers

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ferremit posted:

your country eats loving spent yeast i dont think you get to be the culinary authority

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Dude awesome I'm pleased as punch that you like it! Yeah, I barely used any additional liquid so I had some trouble translating that to words, not yer fault. It's a bare-bones, no-nonsense "cow meat and chilis" chili, looks awesome!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don't understand chili sperging. Cook it however you want, who cares. The people who get especially wound up about chili don't seem to give the slightest poo poo about any non-chili items they put in their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Now I'm hungry you fuckers.

I got a call today that was both good and bad news. I was on the short list for a job (good news). Out of 250 applicants (bad news). For a job with a 72 mile commute (worse news). I only applied because I have to apply to 5 jobs a week to keep my unemployment flowing, but I basically told him that unless there's a partial telecommute option then to just take me out of the running. I feel like a serious rear end in a top hat for both turning down an opportunity and wasting his time but I would kill myself after a few months of that drive. But now I'm second guessing because if there were really 250 applicants then it looks like the job market is actually terrible for mechanical engineers in my area. Again. This is basically a repeat of the last time I got laid off. I beat out 125 guys for my last job.

And it always happens right as I'm about to get ahead. Unemployment, while better than nothing, is a loving joke. I was almost out of my consumer debt and now I have to supplement unemployment with credit just to pay my bills. Never mind that I'm bored as poo poo so my mind goes instantly to spending money on cars which only makes the situation worse.

At least the job market appears to be picking up post-holidays, there were a lot more new jobs posted this week than in the last couple weeks of december. And who knows what other companies are just now getting around to calling people like me who applied in November?

Fingers crossed that I don't have to join the "gently caress 2016" crew.

• Locked thread