Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Welp. I tried to fight Ultimate Yunalesca with the following team.

Couldn't even get past the second phase. So, I have a new team for this. Just need to wait for 30-something stam to refill.

SOMEHOW having no healing screwed me over, crazy, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

the Orb of Zot posted:

EDIT: Oh god I just realized this probably means a SSB and MC2 for Y'sholta, just in case she wasn't good enough already.

Y'shtola could also get a dress sphere.

Dr Pepper posted:

So this is still months away and I have time to save up mythril right.

If I' checked banners correctly (and excluded ones like SoM) it's about 13-14 banners away. So even if we'd get 1 banner per week we wouldn't see it until mid-late April at the earliest.

Event details:
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/ramza-agrias-event/

Among other good things about the event is that the 5* relic from it is +30 attack. :black101:

Getting the sword and bracelet for Ramza would be the best pair of relics to hope for imo, if for no other reason than the fact you could give him r3-4 Lifesiphon and just hulk out in boss fights. I really want to save 250 (or more) mithril for the event but I'm not sure I actually have that much willpower to resist pulling on other events.

Niton posted:

I have absolutely no idea who this could be - Thancred and Y'shtola are the only main FF14 characters of any combat prowess who interact with Titan in any way.

Urianger (lol)? Merlwyb (double lol)?

Unironically hoping for Hildibrand or Godbert, but I'd be ok with us getting Trachtoum if the event is Titan-related. :laugh:

It'll probably be Minfilia or Alphinauld. :sigh:

Aerox posted:

It's going to be the Dragoon from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

I never noticed it before but it looks like Galuf is moving properly to hit positionals in his rotation. He waits too long to Shoulder Tackle at the start though. :colbert:

widespread posted:

Aw, I wanted the Monk Guildmaster. Oh well.

You mean the pugilist guildmaster right? Hammond Holyfist is awesome. The guy from the monk quests never stops being lame.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unironically hoping for Hildibrand or Godbert, but I'd be ok with us getting Trachtoum if the event is Titan-related. :laugh:

It'll probably be Minfilia or Alphinauld. :sigh:

I'd be OK with Alphinauld if it means we get someone else that can use books.

I want Tataru though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Golbez with the Black Dragon is such a lovely and boring boss battle. I came this close to losing mastery for an otherwise easy dungeon just because of his stupid instant death spell. Nothing like getting frozen for 3 turns and having to just sit there and get poked at, too.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You mean the pugilist guildmaster right? Hammond Holyfist is awesome. The guy from the monk quests never stops being lame.

Oh right, forgot it was Pugilist first. But yes, Hammond Holyfist when? He could even bring a *gasp* Monk rebalance.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's a stretch I think but Yugiri is also a possibility as a battle ready character.

I'm betting on another Scion though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It'd be interesting to have Minfilia just to have a party member who does nothing. :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Dr Pepper posted:

It'd be interesting to have Minfilia just to have a party member who does nothing. :v:

Her SB would send the enemies to the Waking Sand. :v:

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Her SSB is a Josef-esque getting kidnapped, removed from the party, and buffing the stats of all your remaining members

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kain goes on the bottom drat it. :colbert:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Seravadon posted:

I want Tataru though.

Doubt that'll happen unless they introduce Calculator class, since she'd be 1* in everything else :v:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
God gently caress rubicante he goes behind his cape and just stays there and pecks away at my guys for longer than they can take it's so annoying. I can even use a mythril here and I still probably won't beat him just because of this, and my ff4 party is fairly decent too and should otherwise be able to get through this but he punches too hard from behind his cape and stays back there too long and keeps doing it too long for me to matter. Even if I use shellga and my veil of protection it doens't last long enough cause he stays back there like 5 minutes each time it feels like. I can last like two hide-behinds and then I just don't have enough juice left.

edit: Actually I didn't realize he doesn't always counter fira so it's not bad the worst part is though I have no idea when he's going back there and I might have ice attacks in the pipeline that just wind up healing him and I have to start over.

And I beat him but not master. But that's ok cause I wanted those fire orbs cause I needed them to create the "Steal Power" skill. Now I have that.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Augus posted:

Golbez with the Black Dragon is such a lovely and boring boss battle. I came this close to losing mastery for an otherwise easy dungeon just because of his stupid instant death spell. Nothing like getting frozen for 3 turns and having to just sit there and get poked at, too.

I literally had to S/L 10 times to not get turn 1 Black Fang'd.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
if there's anyone else who has nothing better to do at the moment other than grinding out materias, let it be noted that Strago's RM2 needs to be done in VI dungeons. Thought I'd mention this, 'cause it did throw me; they haven't attached that requirement to an RM2 for a while.

quote:

What does Strago's RM2 do? IS it worth grinding out or just a completionist thing?

"Small chance to counter black and white magic attacks with Stone". It's... interesting, I'll give it that... But I can't imagine it being of any use. So yeah... it's completionism, as well as making way for future RMs in case they turn out to be decent.

SuperHappy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 9, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SuperHappy posted:

if there's anyone else who has nothing better to do at the moment other than grinding out materias, let it be noted that Strago's RM2 needs to be done in VI dungeons. Thought I'd mention this, 'cause it did throw me; they haven't attached that requirement to an RM2 for a while.

:doh: I've been dragging him around through the IV event and cursing him for not dropping it. Thanks for the heads up.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

What does Strago's RM2 do? IS it worth grinding out or just a completionist thing?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Completionist thing. If he gets hit by magic he has a low % chance to throw a rock at the caster for physical damage, that has a low% chance to inflict confuse.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://ffrk-movie.static.sp.mbga.jp/soul_strike/10600600/20160108_WrRRcuq_Xhs.mp4

:holymoley:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So I put this together yesterday, it's a spreadsheet, sorted by roles. May or may not be helpful if you were hunting down by a particular role.

More XIV content would be good, but I'm not sure how they could make Yda or Papalymo stand out from the horde of Monks/Black Mages at the moment. Moenbryda would be interesting, if nothing else.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm going to throw so many Mythril at that banner jesus christ

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Is that one time where cloud picked up Sephiroth's katana in the flashback the only reason he can use katanas?
he can wield the Yoshiyuki, a katana you can get from an old dude in Rocket Town, and the Murasame, a katana you can buy in Wutai. So no.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

holy poo poo

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ApplesandOranges posted:

So I put this together yesterday, it's a spreadsheet, sorted by roles. May or may not be helpful if you were hunting down by a particular role.

More XIV content would be good, but I'm not sure how they could make Yda or Papalymo stand out from the horde of Monks/Black Mages at the moment. Moenbryda would be interesting, if nothing else.

They've mentioned it's a Scion specifically, so that leaves maybe half a dozen options overall:

• Moenbryda (Knight / Support?)
  • Papalymo (Black Mage / nothing)
  • Yda (Monk / idk)
  • Alphinaud (Summoner / low-rank White and Black)
  • Louisoix (bigger / better Alphinaud)
  • Yugiri (Ninja / Spellblade?), would be weird because Thancred is Ninja 5

Comedy option Minfilia or Tataru i guess.

Thancred really crowds Yugiri out, which is unfortunate because she probably makes the most sense of any of them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:stonklol:

I had no idea that was a thing. I might have to retry FFVI some time

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Edgar Actually Has A New Chainsaw And Hockey Mask.

Also on the topic of ridiculous poo poo coming to FFRK, since Blue Magic is being teased and tossed about...

I'm thinking Quistis will get a LOT more fights in once Blue Magic is in. Pulled that picture from the FFVIII LP thread by the way

widespread fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 9, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Yunalesca you cockgobbling whore! Of COURSE when she's almost dead she uses Mega Death and Gilgamesh was the only one to die! Everything went straight to loving hell after that and I lost. Her HP bar wasn't even loving visible at that point, she had MAYBE a sliver of health when Gilga died. I'm NOT doing Rubicante when the bonus battles for FF4 are unlocked, this is bad enough. Quad Osmose, back to back, didn't help my chances of survival either.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
JP question - I got Tyro's BSSB, do the burst replacements stack with breakdowns/full break? Kinda seems like they do from my small amount of testing, but would be good to know if I'm getting much benefit bringing those breakdowns with it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So okay, I'm tryin to figure out how breakdowns/breaks work. So you apply it, it reduces the enemy's stat by a %, with breakdowns/steal power being more potent. When a boss resists a breakdown, is it a reduced % decrease, or shorter duration? Like what's the general idea for how often you should keep applying these debuffs? like maybe 2-3 actions after the first application, kinda like Retaliate?

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

God gently caress rubicante he goes behind his cape and just stays there and pecks away at my guys for longer than they can take it's so annoying. I can even use a mythril here and I still probably won't beat him just because of this, and my ff4 party is fairly decent too and should otherwise be able to get through this but he punches too hard from behind his cape and stays back there too long and keeps doing it too long for me to matter. Even if I use shellga and my veil of protection it doens't last long enough cause he stays back there like 5 minutes each time it feels like. I can last like two hide-behinds and then I just don't have enough juice left.

edit: Actually I didn't realize he doesn't always counter fira so it's not bad the worst part is though I have no idea when he's going back there and I might have ice attacks in the pipeline that just wind up healing him and I have to start over.

And I beat him but not master. But that's ok cause I wanted those fire orbs cause I needed them to create the "Steal Power" skill. Now I have that.

I was taking a couple hundred damage from his attacks when he was behind cape with Sentinel's Grimoire up, not enough to notice anyway. That does put you on a timer, though, and back-to-back bosses are always difficult skill-wise, especially later elites. Usually with bosses that can randomly go into a defensive + counter phase I'll wait for them to do something, and if they don't go defensive just use attack abilities. Takes a bit longer but you don't get countered.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Servaetes posted:

So okay, I'm tryin to figure out how breakdowns/breaks work. So you apply it, it reduces the enemy's stat by a %, with breakdowns/steal power being more potent. When a boss resists a breakdown, is it a reduced % decrease, or shorter duration? Like what's the general idea for how often you should keep applying these debuffs? like maybe 2-3 actions after the first application, kinda like Retaliate?

Resisted breakdowns are less effective in terms of reduction, but they have the same duration. Rule of thumb is that resisted breakdowns are about as effective as breaks, and resisted breaks are not very effective at all. I think the duration is 2.5 turns with normal cast times and no haste, so if you use them every other turn they'll always be up, and if you use them every third turn there will be a lapse.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Servaetes posted:

The duration stays the same, but the effect is halved, I believe. They last 15 seconds on speed 3, so to safely keep the mitigation up you want to apply them every other round. If you want to live more on the wild side or if you have haste, you can apply them every third round.

e:f;b

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihilarian posted:

:stonklol:

I had no idea that was a thing. I might have to retry FFVI some time

That's new animation for FFRK. Chainsaw is still an awesome all or nothing tool.

Speaking of new, what are those down arrow status effects? Did Japan get an upgrade to mark Breakeffects?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Whoever keeps putting in "nobody gets KOed" as a mastery condition in fights against enemies that can cast instant death is an rear end in a top hat.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's new animation for FFRK. Chainsaw is still an awesome all or nothing tool.

Speaking of new, what are those down arrow status effects? Did Japan get an upgrade to mark Breakeffects?

Elemental vulnerability apparently. That one increases damage taken from poison, but other SBs cover some other elements.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does he not put the mask on in FF6?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

He does put the mask on in FF6.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Nihilarian posted:

He puts the mask on but it's a much more simple animation.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grozz Nuy posted:

He puts the mask on but it's a much more simple animation.

Isn't the mask just automatically on his face when he uses the tool?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Y'all should just go back and play FF6 to find out. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

*sigh* current Elite storyline level trash. 4500 damage attacks that OHKO people on 16,000 HP enemies.

Edit: Or TWO 8000 HP enemies per wave that each deal 4500 damage attacks, or 2500 AOE. Jesus, I'm never getting out of this S/L hell.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 9, 2016

• Locked thread