Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well homies got ear holes at least. About as close as you could get to following the flayed man imagery and represent something like that. So your speculation is at least pointed in the right direction, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

It's been a really long time but isn't SK implied to be the king of a big kingdom that existed before and that everybody was sacrificed by Void that was probably some kind of counselor from said king ? I barely remember this stuff, maybe I need to re-read the series. Parts of the old kingdom are at the bottom of the tower that Griffith was tortured or something

Didn't Slann straight up call SK Gaiseric?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

I would speculate that in the same vein of having a big weird brain to be better at weird spacetime magic or whatever the gently caress it is he does, he wanted to remove his earthly senses, hence the sewn shut eyes, removed nose and hosed up mouth, but then again homies still got ears so :question:

I think their bodies are mostly symbolic. Void has no problem speaking without moving his mouth, and all of them seem perfectly able to manipulate objects and people's senses with just magic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did they actually say they choose their new forms? Because the few Apostle transformations we've seen come off a lot more like ironic punishments. Griffith gets melded to the helm he was tortured in, the gluttonous (baron? count?) gets turned into a giant slug, and Ganishka, whose life was defined by constant loneliness and terror despite his power, turned into a mass of countless, mindless faces.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2016

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did they actually say they choose their new forms? Because the few Apostle transformations we've seen come off a lot more like ironic punishments. Griffith gets melded to the helm he was tortured in, the gluttonous (baron? count?) gets turned into a giant slug, and Ganishka, whose life was defined by constant loneliness and terror despite his power, turned into a mass of countless, mindless faces.

In the lost chapter (83), Griffith does specifically ask to have wings, so they seem to have at least some control over their new forms. Of course, he's also a God Hand, not just an apostle.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think the anime has a line about griffith choosing his new form. I think there is a line in the manga about the apostles are made stronger to overcome their weakness, so their forms are reflection of their desire. Its ironic because, you know, people become the thing they hate. Except Zodd, he sleeps like a champ at night.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rodyle posted:

Didn't Slann straight up call SK Gaiseric?

She calls him Your Highness (dunno what the exact wording is in the original). Given that there is a previously established skull-helmet-wearing king in Midland who fell foul of the God Hand, and it was Gaiseric, it's pretty safe assumption that they're one and the same, but it has not ever been made explicit that he is Gaiseric.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

It's been a really long time but isn't SK implied to be the king of a big kingdom that existed before and that everybody was sacrificed by Void that was probably some kind of counselor from said king ? I barely remember this stuff, maybe I need to re-read the series. Parts of the old kingdom are at the bottom of the tower that Griffith was tortured or something

Close. Gaiseric apparently threw the man who became Void into the Tower of Conviction and tortured him while "he implored God to punish the crimes of the king, until finally some angels appeared."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bro Dad posted:

Close. Gaiseric apparently threw the man who became Void into the Tower of Conviction and tortured him while "he implored God to punish the crimes of the king, until finally some angels appeared."

That's part of the reason people think that it's him. He has some sort of connection with Void and the only reason that would be is if he was Gaiseric.

There's also the fact that Gaiseric wore a skull helmet. And Slan calls him "your majesty". The only way it could be more confirmed is if someone yelled "Gaiseric!" and he turned to look.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ZZZorcerer posted:

yea

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

With no God Hand to help explain things, that first Eclipse must've been so confusing for the person who became Void.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

temple posted:

I think the anime has a line about griffith choosing his new form. I think there is a line in the manga about the apostles are made stronger to overcome their weakness, so their forms are reflection of their desire. Its ironic because, you know, people become the thing they hate. Except Zodd, he sleeps like a champ at night.

Zodd is like Boros from one punch man. He wanted to become the strongest but failed to realise that the fun was not in winning itself, but the struggle. So now he searches the world for a someone who can make him feel alive again. Hense why he waits outside for Skull Knight during the eclipse instead of joining the party with everybody else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

With no God Hand to help explain things, that first Eclipse must've been so confusing for the person who became Void.

I'm fairly certain the implication is they've been around a lot longer than that, they just lose and replace members from time to time.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Pensive posted:

Zodd is like Boros from one punch man. He wanted to become the strongest but failed to realise that the fun was not in winning itself, but the struggle. So now he searches the world for a someone who can make him feel alive again. Hense why he waits outside for Skull Knight during the eclipse instead of joining the party with everybody else.

if he wants to feel alive he should stop using his cheat mode every time things get slightly difficult..

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm fairly certain the implication is they've been around a lot longer than that, they just lose and replace members from time to time.

My take on it is that the angels of the godhand simply exist outside of time, so at his ceremony Femto, Slan, Ubik and Konrad would have all been present. They are omniscient to some degree and the eclipse is specifically mentioned as a time that they are not, perhaps because only then they are incomplete or because they momentarily exist in the physical realm and are restricted to that specific time.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 8, 2016

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

maybe the eclipse became what it is because of his inner desire to punish those around him. every other eclipse is just the others adding on to his

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's still the Idea of Evil there to explain things to new God Hand members.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Piriwi posted:

My take on it is that the angels of the godhand simply exist outside of time, so at his ceremony Femto, Slan, Ubik and Konrad would have all been present. They are omniscient to some degree and the eclipse is specifically mentioned as a time that they are not, perhaps because only then they are incomplete or because they momentarily exist in the physical realm and are restricted to that specific time.

I like that explanation.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like that explanation.

One reason I think it could be the case is that berserk, like more manga, has this fusion between Buddhist and Christian ideas going on. In both religions the idea of omniscience has been debated, and in Christianity more specifically how an omniscient god might affect free will. All the godhand angels often talk about causality and they even refer to Guts as the struggler, struggling like a fish in a stream he can't escape. And there is that scene where Femto uses the attack of the Skull Knight on Ganishka to fulfill his dream.

In Christianity Jesus is often described as having a pre-existence as part of the trinity (and Griffith is basically 'the Savior'). In Buddhism there is also the concept of a future Buddha already existing as a higher being and having 'contact' with humans now, even though he will be born as a human in the future as part of his cycle of reincarnation.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Meanwhile you have Guts and his "If it bleeds, I can make it bleed A LOT" outlook on life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Meanwhile you have Guts and his "If it bleeds, I can make it bleed A LOT" outlook on life.

Guts is the absurd hero. :v:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I always assumed the Apostle transformations were tied to what and/or how much you sacrificed, like the deeper your connection to the sacrifice or the more you sacrifice then the better your Apostle form becomes. Which is why guys like the Count look majorly hosed up compared to the more powerful Apostles like Zodd and Gunbled.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The new Berserk anime is confirmed as a tv series, it will start airing in July.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Please be good in spite of looking like poo poo

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Butt Ghost posted:

:pray:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'll still watch it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

An unjust world where the gorgeous art of berserk is animated in the least appropriate way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The best time to animate Berserk would have been the mid 80s when Japan's economy was booming and traditional animator's skills were at their peak, and online piracy wasn't a thing yet. Sadly, Berserk didn't come out at that point. We'd need a robotic army of Mitsuo Iso-bots to give us Berserk animated like it should be. Until that comes to pass, I'll take the CG version.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DamnGlitch posted:

An unjust world where the gorgeous art of berserk is animated in the least appropriate way.

On the other hand, traditional animation has been in the shitter for a while, since there is now so goddamn much anime being made that only the biggest budget shows get halfway decent animation, and even then there's tons of corner cutting on details.

Like, people praised One Punch Man for it's gorgeous animation, but you break that show down and you can still spot the more budget conscious action scenes where it's just blurs that represent people or still frames with lots of detail instead of movement.

CGI, at the very least, will be really detailed. How it looks in motion, though... well, at least it'll be detailed. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the thing about animation in comparison to still pictures is, the motion is quite important

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anime sucks, Berserk needs to be a videogame. That is the only medium in which something that's so violent and fantastic could get the budget it deserves.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

welp, what do we have to sacrifice

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

notZaar posted:

Anime sucks, Berserk needs to be a videogame. That is the only medium in which something that's so violent and fantastic could get the budget it deserves.

bloodborne........

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne........

The whole Souls series, really.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
This same argument of Dark Souls vs Dragons' Dogma. Mobs vs literally pre-eclipse Griffiths armour and Guts' armour.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Having licensed Berserk DLC is cheating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not in the PC version I don't think

Also

notZaar posted:

Anime sucks

GTFO

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not in the PC version I don't think

It's not. It was kept out for licensing reasons, or something along those lines.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The whole Souls series, really.

None of those games have good combat, though they nail the atmosphere of a world similar to Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

notZaar posted:

None of those games have good combat

:psyduck: