Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Wild T posted:

All the nerds on Wookiepedia are probably writing essays the length of Master's theses explaining everything in the new movie and I just want to know how BB8 gets back up the stairs every time.

Remember the grappling hooks she shot out during the Falcon bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Xenoletum posted:

This is what I thought too. Gets around like an octopus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xenoletum posted:

That, and if the little guy can generate enough torque in that ball, he could get up the stairs by counterbalancing his head forward or something.

Or maybe he has a springball like Samus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He bomb-jumps, clearly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Very small, very short range jump drive.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does range matter with a blaster? Obviously there are some differences. Recoil would probably be less on a long barrel. But I don't think barrel size would matter for distance aiming.

Yes, just for simple geometry. If you are off by one degree at 5 feet you hit your target because it's 4 inches off. If your target is 30 feet away you hit the tree next to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also blasts travel incredibly slow in Star Wars so hitting a moving target at a distance is difficult too. This Wired article I googled calculated the speeds to average about 78mph. I guess they probably don't have any drop, but you need to lead your shots pretty far.

In Battlefront and the Clone Wars cartoon, the long range rifles they use shoot actual bullets.

Force Awakened wouldn't have happened if Poe had a gun.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Aphrodite posted:

Also blasts travel incredibly slow in Star Wars so hitting a moving target at a distance is difficult too. This Wired article I googled calculated the speeds to average about 78mph. I guess they probably don't have any drop, but you need to lead your shots pretty far.

In Battlefront and the Clone Wars cartoon, the long range rifles they use shoot actual bullets.

Force Awakened wouldn't have happened if Poe had a gun.

Is the assumption then that stormtrooper armor at least stops actual bullets? (Note that I'm going out on a limb and assuming the ewok arrows were hitting them in the neck or other uncovered places. I badly hope this is the case because otherwise the armor makes zero loving sense).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Is the assumption then that stormtrooper armor at least stops actual bullets? (Note that I'm going out on a limb and assuming the ewok arrows were hitting them in the neck or other uncovered places. I badly hope this is the case because otherwise the armor makes zero loving sense).

The armor is so bad guys don't look too human so you don't have to worry about how they feel or what their motivations are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Found this from a visual dictionary release:

quote:

Shielded in white space armor worn over a body glove, stormtroopers are protected from harsh environments, projectile and impact weapons and glancing blaster bolts... Stormtrooper armor is impervious to projectile weapons and blast shrapnel. It may be pierced by a direct blaster bolt, but will deflect glancing bolts and reduce damage from bolts absorbed... A power pack and pressurized gas system in the stormtrooper armor backplate also allows a trooper to survive even in the vacuum of space for limited periods..."

Of course that's not true in Return of the Jedi, but whatever.

I always assumed the idea is just that no mass producible armor* can stop a blaster, but the Stormtrooper armor does a bunch of other useful stuff so that's why they still wear it. And it's probably effective psychologically.

* (always have to leave the door open for some author's special snowflake character with their anti-blaster, anti-lightsaber armor)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Novum posted:

I liked the no name rank and file stormtrooper who beat the poo poo out of the black jedi

Aphrodite posted:

Please. This is Star Wars, he has a name and comic book backstory.

http://www.starwars.com/news/meet-fn-2199-a-k-a-tr-8r-the-stormtrooper-behind-the-meme

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In RotJ, I don't think Ewok arrows could pierce armor. I remember seeing a stormtrooper with one sticking out the gap in his neck.

Not sure about rocks. The armor should have protected pretty well against them, but I guess we don't know how freakishly strong Ewoks were. I will say those scenes could have really benefited from a better sound effects foley guy. Small rocks hitting plastic armor sounded exactly like small rocks hitting plastic armor.

Are you supposed to bleed from a blaster hit? I guess I always assumed it cauterized the wound like a light saber. That scene early in TFA where a stormtrooper is very obliviously bleeding makes me think of all those dead and dying stormtroopers with blood pooling inside their white armor. So while they don't offer much protection, they make post-battlefield clean-up a whole lot cleaner.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jan 8, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can configure a blaster to cause bleeding.

Like most things that was probably thought up to cover inconsistencies.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Aphrodite posted:

Please. This is Star Wars, he has a name and comic book backstory.

He's also played by the same guy who played Arya's fencing master on Game of Thrones, I gather.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Nothing in Star Wars is subtle. Even the part where they make sure you weren't in a coma the last 30 years and know that the guy who plays Han Solo also played Indiana Jones by having a rolling ball monster chase him through a tunnel

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Star Wars TFA gets way more criticism than a children's movie should ever get

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Professor Shark posted:

Star Wars TFA gets way more criticism than a children's movie should ever get

Mmm, yes, the most profitable movie in history is a children's movie and therefore above the criticism, mmm yes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pook Good Mook posted:

I seem to recall you only seeing one Stormtrooper killed by arrows and it was a scout trooper (lighter armor) hit in the back of the neck.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Nothing in Star Wars is subtle. Even the part where they make sure you weren't in a coma the last 30 years and know that the guy who plays Han Solo also played Indiana Jones by having a rolling ball monster chase him through a tunnel
Lol i did not make this connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1fUM0pvf0

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

1stGear posted:

Mmm, yes, the most profitable movie in history is a children's movie and therefore above the criticism, mmm yes.

Yeah, that, only without the dumbass Mmm's. If you spend a lot of time criticizing minor details in a children's movie that was designed in part to sell toys then you may be sort of dumb :shrug:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, that, only without the dumbass Mmm's. If you spend a lot of time criticizing minor details in a children's movie that was designed in part to sell toys then you may be sort of dumb :shrug:

That's kind of a juvenile interpretation of the movie, isn't it? Or is it just cool to not like the popular thing

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Polaron posted:

I seem to recall you only seeing one Stormtrooper killed by arrows and it was a scout trooper (lighter armor) hit in the back of the neck.

You might be right.

In fact isn't a big part of that whole battle that the Ewoks are getting pretty much annihilated until they can spring their traps? Yes, I realize that is the most childish thing I've ever written Like I said, it makes me feel better about this foolish universe I've invested so much time into if it's at least a LITTLE bit coherent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

That's kind of a juvenile interpretation of the movie, isn't it? Or is it just cool to not like the popular thing

I liked Star Wars, it was a good kids movie and it made Kid Me want to buy some toys for my nephews

It was made in order to make more money from tickets and merchandise though

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's something about the entire motion picture industry that you're not going to want to hear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Professor Shark posted:

I liked Star Wars, it was a good kids movie and it made Kid Me want to buy some toys for my nephews

drat those filmmakers, trying to sell tickets :mad:

Even the indie-est of indie directors wants to at least make their money back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah

Yeah to everything, yeah to movie makers wanting to sell tickets, yeah to the toy companies wanting to sell toys based on those movies (if they're kids movies), and yeah to Avatar being a kids movie (that had kids toys)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kids movies, pssh. I'm more interested in adult films, if you know what I'm talking about.

(Stares intently at crotch)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

oldpainless posted:

(Stares intently at crotch)

Yeah but Star Wars makes people happy

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pook Good Mook posted:

You might be right.

In fact isn't a big part of that whole battle that the Ewoks are getting pretty much annihilated until they can spring their traps? Yes, I realize that is the most childish thing I've ever written Like I said, it makes me feel better about this foolish universe I've invested so much time into if it's at least a LITTLE bit coherent.

The Rebels are losing until Chewie and friends hijack an AT-ST and take some of the pressure off.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

1stGear posted:

the most profitable movie in history is either Blair witch or paranormal activity 1

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Haha you are a lovely troll or an actual dumbfuck

Even taking your Movie For Literal Children premise at face value, why in the flying gently caress should media designed to be consumed by developing youths not be subject to the most criticism?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trent posted:

Haha you are a lovely troll or an actual dumbfuck
:reject:

Because lol gently caress you we're talking about laser bolts you loving idiot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, he called them lasers.

What a nerd.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A film appropriate for the whole family and a film written specifically for children are not the same thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There were action figures for Alien and the Predator movies. Clearly children's films.

Come little Timmy, let's watch the movie where the penis-headed alien rapes its way through a bunch of spacemans/womens, Professor Shark has dictated that it's a children movie.

scary ghost dog posted:

the most profitable movie in history is either Blair witch or paranormal activity 1

Yeah, true. Movie that made the most money then.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Hardly subtle at all, but I did like in Force Awakens how just before Ren kills Han, the extinguishing sun causes his face to become shadowed, visually indicating the choice Han just helped him make and how it's the exact opposite of what the dialogue would seem to imply on a basic presented level.

Also this is purely a personal thing and hence might not qualify at all, but I did like how in the final battle that the minor character pilots did better than in New Hope. From thirty fighters launched in New Hope and three coming back (and hell, you could say just two because one was flown by the main character whose plot armor was invincible), to around the same amount of ships launched and seven survivors! Maybe in 2033 when Episode X comes out, they can make it up to a 1/3 survival rate.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

1stGear posted:

There were action figures for Alien and the Predator movies. Clearly children's films.

Come little Timmy, let's watch the movie where the penis-headed alien rapes its way through a bunch of spacemans/womens, Professor Shark has dictated that it's a children movie.

I'm sure Fox didn't want their R rated movies being watched by kids and when those movies were out everyone I knew when I was a kid watched them and played with the toys that they made for children who shouldn't have been watching them :bravo2:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think this all started because I called Star Wars a children's movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Professor Shark posted:

I think this all started because I called Star Wars a children's movie

You're right