Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I can kinda see the show turning into a caricature of itself, but that's true of all long-running sitcoms. The difference is that with Sunny that was always an acknowledged part of the premise. Like take Friends, for example; over the course of the series the group becomes more insular, xenophobic, selfish, and stupid because they need to so that the premise still works (why do these friends always hang out with only each other?) and so there's new territory for jokes. With Sunny that progression is woven into the fabric of the show. Like how in this episode the gang could actually believe someone from the outside might want to buy and sell their ridiculously self-involved board game, complete with opinion-triva and a card that says "Dennis and Dee move to Level 3".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I can kinda see the show turning into a caricature of itself, but that's true of all long-running sitcoms. The difference is that with Sunny that was always an acknowledged part of the premise. Like take Friends, for example; over the course of the series the group becomes more insular, xenophobic, selfish, and stupid because they need to so that the premise still works (why do these friends always hang out with only each other?) and so there's new territory for jokes. With Sunny that progression is woven into the fabric of the show. Like how in this episode the gang could actually believe someone from the outside might want to buy and sell their ridiculously self-involved board game, complete with opinion-triva and a card that says "Dennis and Dee move to Level 3".

Or last season when they decide to not hang out, and they can not deal with other people or non- sociopathics. It ends with Mac paying a hooker in meth to fake having sex, Frank trying to pull scams, Dennis not being able to deal with reality, and Charlie banging a bird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bobkatt013 posted:

Have we ever had an episode of the arbitration process?

Reynolds vs Reynolds: The Cereal Defense

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

bobkatt013 posted:

It ends with Mac paying a hooker in meth to fake having sex

You mean angel dust

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bobkatt013 posted:

Have we ever had an episode of the arbitration process?

No. The first time the arbitration process is brought up was during "Charlie Work".

There "sweet see gets audited" where they try to set up a democratic process for making bar decisions (reason will prevail!) which ends up with them going back to just screaming at one another... So I guess they tweaked the system in the interim?

Edit: yeah there's also the trial.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Or last season when they decide to not hang out, and they can not deal with other people or non- sociopathics. It ends with Mac paying a hooker in meth to fake having sex, Frank trying to pull scams, Dennis not being able to deal with reality, and Charlie banging a bird.

Yeah, between that and the awards episode I think the writers know exactly the trajectory the show/characters are on.

Come to think of it you could see this latest episode as a meta take on trying to introduce the show to someone who has never seen it before. Or someone stumbling upon the new season without any prior knowledge (though that would be hard since FXX is such an obscure channel).

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this show is turning into a caricature of itself.

the only reason this ep exists is the bottle joke, the entire rest of it was unfunny filler.

I guess you could say they "missed the boat"

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

An opinion held by nobody else.

I also didn't like Chardee MacDennis 2. It was way too unbelievable and most of the jokes didn't land for me**. I like watching the gang be awful people and they didn't even really seem like people in this one, just getting up to bugs bunny stuff. Between the IV stuff, deciding to do a Saw parody for a bit, the waitress willingly coming back to yell at charlie, it felt like Always Sunny fanfiction. The hospital scene spent way too much time building up Dee and Dennis act like a dick. Like the framed the scene like they care and you already know how it ends, but it goes on and on.

The original Chardee MacDennis is A+, it's hard to put into words why. It just holds up so much better compared to this one. But hey, Always Sunny is almost nothing but hits, it's allowed a miss once in a while (and still manages a few good jokes anyway)

**Mac making a dick by accident for "love" was great, and Frank's flag was loving boss. And the bottle puzzle was great too.

edit: I was hoping Chardee MacDennis 2 would be more along the lines of: the gang has power over some people for some reason or another, and they force these strangers to play the game. Could be an estate thing, or it could be like the time they kidnapped those college kids (Dennis and Dee's Mom Is Dead) by accident. Or hell they've kidnapped people on purpose too.

Instead it was just "more of it, and grosser this time".

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I rewatched both together and I think the original Chardee had better editing and timing. The way they cut between stages of the game at just the right points added so much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone please gif Frank raising his flag.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone please gif Frank raising his flag.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The writers took Seinfeld's "no learning, no hugging" and doubled down on it by actively making the characters unlearn and hate more. I feel like the show can only end in the murder of the gang, either by their own hands or by the hands of everyone they've wronged.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They should actually do a parody of Seinfeld's last episode; have them try to help someone in distress, and end up in jail due to the results.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Naet posted:

The writers took Seinfeld's "no learning, no hugging" and doubled down on it by actively making the characters unlearn and hate more. I feel like the show can only end in the murder of the gang, either by their own hands or by the hands of everyone they've wronged.

The gang will never die

Although I'm sure others will. Picturing it now: the gang feels reflects on all things they've done to/with Cricket, realize that they were actually really lovely to him, and decide to right their wrongs and fix his life. Title card: The Gang Kills Cricket.

edit: they kind of already did that title card though with Mac Kills His Dad

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 8, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

many johnnys posted:

edit: they kind of already did that title card though with Mac Kills His Dad

Call it... tradition!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

many johnnys posted:

edit: I was hoping Chardee MacDennis 2 would be more along the lines of: the gang has power over some people for some reason or another, and they force these strangers to play the game. Could be an estate thing, or it could be like the time they kidnapped those college kids (Dennis and Dee's Mom Is Dead) by accident. Or hell they've kidnapped people on purpose too.

That sounds much worse than what we ended up with.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Lt. Chips posted:

That sounds much worse than what we ended up with.

Yeah actually putting it into words it doesn't sound like it would be very good. I'm no writer.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the guy wasn't actually from Mattel because it saved us the predictable "oh my god, you guys are insane! *storms out*" scene.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I'll admit I was fooled, it was really funny and in character for Frank to go to those lengths to try to get his changes incorporated into the game.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noctone posted:

Yeah I'll admit I was fooled, it was really funny and in character for Frank to go to those lengths to try to get his changes incorporated into the game.

Plus the actor they got is constantly the corporate guy in everything. He's never the shady schemer. I bought the matel thing just based on who they got to play the character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just watched the original and yes it was better, but Chardee 2 was still really good. I forgot that we had all the crybabies to look forward to this season. All the way through season 10 was a bunch of goons declaring the death of Always Sunny because the series was dead. I went through every episode of season 10 over the past few days and it's great. While there are 2-3 episodes where I don't like the overall concept, there's still tons of hilarious poo poo in them that it's still worth watching. Lets' try to keep all the "Yeah, it was funny but technically this other show already did something similar so that's why this show sucks" kind of poo poo out of this season.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 8, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Of course the original was better, it showed the game in its pristine form being played to its fullest potential by the masters of the trade. The new episode had Frank who's never won the game trying to tweak the formula, you can't expect it to compare. Savages.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Of course the original was better, it showed the game in its pristine form being played to its fullest potential by the masters of the trade. The new episode had Frank who's never won the game trying to tweak the formula, you can't expect it to compare. Savages.

IDIOTS

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
DRIIINK HOLMES!

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot that we had all the crybabies to look forward to this season. All the way through season 10 was a bunch of goons declaring the death of Always Sunny because the series was dead. I went through every episode of season 10 over the past few days and it's great. While there are 2-3 episodes where I don't like the overall concept, there's still tons of hilarious poo poo in them that it's still worth watching. Lets' try to keep all the "Yeah, it was funny but technically this other show already did something similar so that's why this show sucks" kind of poo poo out of this season.

I just joined the thread but season 10 is one of the funniest goddamn seasons in the show. I mean I can't rank them, but 10 is fuckin awesome and I'm sure 11 will be too

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They have donkey brains

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lord Krangdar posted:

Too be fair they are all chronic alcoholics so a bunch of their stupidity and poor choices can be explained by the fact that they're constantly drunk.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

IASIP won a People's Choice Award this year.

The gang doesn't care about awards (as we learned a few seasons ago) but this is the second award period that the show's won, behind a 2011 Satellite Award for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hard to pick a favorite moment from this excellent episode, but this bit was up there:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My favorite is Charlie changing his shirt to just the top button buttoned.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

My favorite is Charlie changing his shirt to just the top button buttoned.

highlight of the episode for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was fun to watch to try and work out what was going to happen with Andy. He seemed to be drinking at their pace (minus the IV) which I thought was going to lead to his downfall. Didn't anticipate the stooge aspect.

Odd that he used 'donkey brains' though, I know they needed to find a way to link him to Frank, but not sure why that specific word would've come up between them previously. Maybe I missed something in the dialogue?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that Frank basically gave him a script to follow.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, between that and the awards episode I think the writers know exactly the trajectory the show/characters are on.

Come to think of it you could see this latest episode as a meta take on trying to introduce the show to someone who has never seen it before. Or someone stumbling upon the new season without any prior knowledge (though that would be hard since FXX is such an obscure channel).

What I really love about this show is that the characters becoming such pieces of poo poo has been building up over the seasons. They were bad people in season 1, but holy gently caress are they terrible now. It's amazing. In a world where TV is constantly trying to make characters either static or improve, we have this show allowing them to degrade into a bunch of hosed up jabronis.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Charlie's gaping electric tweezer wound was wonderful, I was pretty surprised Frank didn't stitch cuff keys into their arms.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love how quickly everyone bought into it when Frank said his game was based on Operation.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sammus posted:

I love how quickly everyone bought into it when Frank said his game was based on Operation.
This terrible game is the one thing they do with any integrity

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sammus posted:

Haha yeah, they went from,"We're not doing this insane poo poo!" to "Well poo poo he's got us there, we HAVE to do this insane poo poo now."

In other words:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

This terrible game is the one thing they do with any integrity

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dennis and sweet dee looked different this season. dee looked like she had some work done to make her look younger (or maybe it was just the different hair), and dennis looked rough right from the outset - his eyes were noticeably red-rimmed and he looked really pale from the very beginning of the episode.

charlie doing the racist south-cental mexican impression was top notch though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Dennis' version of a Philly accent (Australian) basically went unremarked on by the gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

homeless poster posted:

dennis and sweet dee looked different this season. dee looked like she had some work done to make her look younger (or maybe it was just the different hair), and dennis looked rough right from the outset - his eyes were noticeably red-rimmed and he looked really pale from the very beginning of the episode.

charlie doing the racist south-cental mexican impression was top notch though.

The gang is just getting old but they are trying to not show it on the show, everybody is like 40 years old trying to look like they are in their 20s, maybe 30 still.