Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Super late on getting a chance to watch the latest update and reply but for what little RPG experience I've had I've been a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been GMing for about 25 years and I don't think I've prepared a session in advance in like 10.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 12 - Hell's Kitchen

Happy new year, folks! Have some more fodder for the wall of fallen Pikmin!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Calling something "the least threatening thing in the game" sounds a little too much like tempting fate.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

HEY DID YOU KNOW YOU DON'T NEED YOUR WHOLE :commissar:

"We have infinite time and- well, not so infinite patience." As those Pikmin immediately demonstrated. :haw:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Well, that was an interesting demonstration, Fae.

Out of curiosity, if Olimar/Louie laid down on the ground (so the Pikmin can pick him up and drag him to the ship) would the Breadbug go after him? Because I could see that as a way to kill the Breadbugs even when there's nothing left in the stage.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I don't see why you'd ever go down a hole without bringing your Purples around, if only to kill bosses (and everything else). And at least one white, preferably 5 or so in case of accidents.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
This is why you bring purples into caves, Fae.

Also I was screaming internally on floor two. The treasure was on the ledge in plain sight multiple times. It wasn't in the breadbug hole!

Oh god that massacre :gonk:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Noooooo the reds.... :ohdear:

Also, Director of Destiny is a good GM name.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

GeneralYeti posted:

Well, that was an interesting demonstration, Fae.

Out of curiosity, if Olimar/Louie laid down on the ground (so the Pikmin can pick him up and drag him to the ship) would the Breadbug go after him? Because I could see that as a way to kill the Breadbugs even when there's nothing left in the stage.

I don't believe so, but if all the treasures are gone it's just easier to kill Breadbugs the slow way, by throwing Pikmin at their back.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

As that demonstration showed, electricity is the most dangerous thing in this entire game. You can use the whistle to save your pikmin from water, fire, or poison, but electricity is an instant kill. This makes yellows the safest pikmin to use when there are multiple hazards around. And not only can any color pikmin hurt a breadbug by landing on its back, but I'm pretty sure it does exactly enough damage to kill a breadbug that's been brought to the ship once.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 13 - Mad World

Things are not going well, guys

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 13 - Mad World

Things are not going well, guys

Its going fine. Unless the dreams in which you're dying are the best you ever had. If that's happening than It's not kind of funny but is sad.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Squad wipes are a pretty common occurrence what with one-hit-squish boulders. I've become very familiar with GameCube controller's soft-reset button combination thanks to those and some other hazards. The game saves progress to memory card every cave level change btw which makes save scumming very easy!

Edit:
Oh good, you found out about the nectar eggs' other, scurrying contents. There's a secret prize if you manage to nail them with purple pikmin throws.

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 8, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, the auto-saves make save scumming really easy. We're trying to keep it to a minimum but if things ever go really impossibly bad (like they almost certainly will against what is to come in some later dungeons), we'll probably resort to it some, like we did in pikmin 1. There is a very, very good reason the game saves every floor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Its going fine. Unless the dreams in which you're dying are the best you ever had. If that's happening than It's not kind of funny but is sad.

Faerie just killed pikmin
rolled a boulder on their heads, didn't move so now they're dead.
Faerie, lives had just begun, and now you've gone and squished them all away.
Faerie, oooOOoo (any way the hog blows)
they don't wanna die, sometimes wish they'd never been grown at all.
*pikmin plays sweet riff on a tiny electric guitar.*

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I am very very aware of where and how often the game saves, don't worry! At the beginning of Pikmin 1 I decided to take advantage of that only if completely necessary though, it kind of takes away from the blind experience a little if I'm doing days over and over again until I get it perfect. So far the only restarts have been when Olimar is downed (which happened once, to Bulblax) and once when we lost a whole bunch of pikmin to what was basically just bad luck and we restarted the day out of protest.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Gnome is still leading you wrong, Fae!

:awesomelon: "Thus it is highly unlikely such a complex process could cause the spontaneous explosion of a fallen blowhog."
:troll: "So they might explode even after death because of how volatile the fire inside them is. That's a thing Olimar tells us."
:smith: "Olimar just lies to us, constantly."

Poor Olimar, slandered like that by someone he trusted. :negative:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh.

Oh dear.

Please, remember the memory of all those Fae just murdered, in the Wall of Fallen Pikmin. BTW, the current number of heartless murders is 1249 across Pikmin 1 and 2.

Also, Pikmin extinction is just a failure state for the day you kill them all. The next day a new one spawns in.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Not a video insert to watch on the day of my cousins funeral ...

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Use purples. Please use purples.

The Bulbear caused much less deaths than expected, at least.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I made a tribute to the lives lost in the most recent excursion by brave Captains Olimar and Louie and their dear Pikmin companions.

:britain: In Memoriam :britain:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Holy poo poo this is amazing, I'm kind of losing my mind at how awesome you are :allears:

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Just to let you guys know, when you're in a dungeon Pikmin don't need to be in either captain's squad when you move on to the next floor or leave for the surface. They join you automatically in the cutscene. The only way you might be able to leave Pikmin behind is if you throw them into a candypop flower and forget to pluck them before moving on, but I've never tried that.

And since it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread, I did actually go back a play the first game a few times. I managed to get my time down to 12 days. :toot:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

chocolatekake posted:

I made a tribute to the lives lost in the most recent excursion by brave Captains Olimar and Louie and their dear Pikmin companions.

This is absolutely incredible

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

legoman727 posted:

Lose purples. Please lose purples.

Improved that for you. We need to diversify our cold blooded pikmin murder a bit more.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

chocolatekake posted:

You found a fitting clip for just about every lyric.

Goddrat that was amazing.

Also RIP Fae's first squad of yellows.

Looking forward to the first mistake of mass blue, white, and purple slaughter, just to see Fae soldier on and recover later. It's kind of inspiring, actually! Also it's nice to see you living with the consequences. So many LPers would just scrap the recording and do it over. NOT HERE. Here, we accept our mistakes!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I wince every time I realize we ended up with 3 yellows. And then I laugh.

Either way, good on you for accepting the mistake. I know I would have sworn and restarted the day.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 14 - Weird Coffee Magic

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You can increase your right stick's deadzone in Dolphin's controller config, that should help with the sticking C-Stick.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You can increase your right stick's deadzone in Dolphin's controller config, that should help with the sticking C-Stick.

Yeah, we didn't think to try this until the next recording session. We're dummies like that. This totally solved it, too.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Let's test out these features the big red text is all excited about.

https://twitter.com/hado_fun/status/690687797565337600

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ceebees posted:

Let's test out these features the big red text is all excited about.

https://twitter.com/hado_fun/status/690687797565337600

Needs a couple of plush pikmin ghosts for and worried Olimar for full effect.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
So I just realized I don't think I ever said this. But in late 2014 I got into an accident and was stuck in the hospital for a week, and I spent eight months or so in a wheelchair. And watching your Blind OoT Let's play was one of the few bright spots in otherwise the darkest parts of my life yet.

So with that said, I just wanted to comment I've been following your Pikmin Let's Play from the start, and I really am enjoying it! Thanks for being awesome.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

sharkbeard posted:

So I just realized I don't think I ever said this. But in late 2014 I got into an accident and was stuck in the hospital for a week, and I spent eight months or so in a wheelchair. And watching your Blind OoT Let's play was one of the few bright spots in otherwise the darkest parts of my life yet.

So with that said, I just wanted to comment I've been following your Pikmin Let's Play from the start, and I really am enjoying it! Thanks for being awesome.

The adventures of the friendliest link were great weren't they? I've been eagerly watching this for much the same reason. Rage-LPers are dime a dozen, people going around with a cheerful attitude and with wonder in their eyes is a rare treat though.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:(very late) Update Time:siren:

Episode 15 - Toothless Amiibo Sharks

You guys also deserve an explanation for the lack of updates. The RSI I got in my hand over the holidays has not gotten better despite lots of weird muscle rubs being applied to it and daily stretches. I can't hold a controller for more than 20 minutes without it causing me muscle strain, and playing games with a mouse and keyboard takes longer to start hurting but it still does.

Naturally, I got real depressed about this, because I'm not allowed to crochet and playing videogames, the only other thing I do for fun, physically hurts me to do. So I've basically been doing nothing the past couple of weeks, then getting depressed that I'm doing nothing, trying to do something fun, hurting my wrist doing it and then getting depressed that I can't do anything. Its been long enough that I'm heading to the doctors as soon as I can to figure out what else I can do at this point. Worst case scenario, I may have to get minor surgery on my wrist.

So here's what's going to happen with Pikmin. Gnome and I did a 2+ hour recording session a week or two ago when I was feeling stupid and decided to push through my pain to get it done. That's a good 5 or 6 updates right there. Depending on what happens at the doctor, I'll either post these in the "usual" update slots, or if I have to have surgery, I'll post one a week so I have something to post while I'm recovering.

This is like, the third time I've randomly stopped updating this LP and I'm real sorry guys. Life has not been kind to me these past few months and I hope you understand. I really do love this game and I miss playing it but after I described how much pain I was in, gnome basically told me that my health comes first and I don't want to not play Pikmin but also he's right. Thanks for understanding and being patient, friends!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
:gonk:

Holy poo poo, Fae. I think we can all understand the lack of Pikmin Death updates if your hand is killing you like that. Don't feel rushed to get videos out for us at the cost of your health.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh, and I forgot to mention. To keep my LP muscle going, I've decided to do a screenshot LP of a game I really like, that I've actually played before, and does not require any manual dexterity to play! I'll probably be posting the first update of that later today if things go well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Health comes first. Always. You do you, Fae.

And also, I thought you might like to know, a friend of mine stumbled upon your OOT LP and, knowing how much trouble I also have with Jabu-Jabu's Belly and Big Octorock, sent me the video of you fighting him with the message "You're not alone!"

• Locked thread