Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ether
May 20, 2001

Hopper posted:

Wow. I'd say put that up on ideas, but since it is a license product they already own they'd just make slight adjustments, claim it was their idea and you'd get screwed.

That would be scummy, zodack posted the LDD here ;-)

Besides, the internals are very build-unfriendly, so that would need a pass to make it easier to assemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah sure, I didn't know, I thought you were the one who posted it and then built it afterwards to see if it works. But like I said, it would go nowhere, anyway see the GB Firehouse "scandal".

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hopper posted:

see the GB Firehouse "scandal".

A quick recap on this would be appreciated.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Some guy posted a firehouse on ideas, it hit 10k supporters, and was not approved. Lego then released their own design not under the Ideas label. The guy won't get any money, but did get the set for free. Some people, rightly or wrongly think he got hosed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

deoju posted:

Some guy posted a firehouse on ideas, it hit 10k supporters, and was not approved. Lego then released their own design not under the Ideas label. The guy won't get any money, but did get the set for free. Some people, rightly or wrongly think he got hosed.

There were claims that the Lego-designed one was a wholesale ripoff of his design.

The exteriors were similar, which is somewhat expected from builds based on a real-life building. The Lego-designed interior, however, was completely different and, frankly, vastly superior.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dude in question wrote a thing:

http://www.swissgb.ch/lego-ghostbusters-hq-v2/

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hmm, I think he was foolish to think this wasn't a possibility but agree they could've given him a heads up as a curtesy when they had him visit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just noticed Kroger/King Soopers/ city market or whatever it's called where you are located, is clearing out all the microfighthers for 3 dollars each.

E: also the minifigure clocks are half off.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 8, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

The exteriors were similar, which is somewhat expected from builds based on a real-life building. The Lego-designed interior, however, was completely different and, frankly, vastly superior.

Not that different. I thought he was just blowing hot air when he started complaining based on the exterior build, but the interior layout is novel (not strictly based on the movies) and basically all rooms and furniture featured in Ideas build show up in the official model in the same place.

That's not exactly conclusive evidence of appropriation: the movies cram everything onto one floor which would be really impractical to duplicate, so splitting things up is a logical move. And once you've made that decision it makes a great deal of sense to put the GB1-centric features on one floor and the GB2-centric features on the other; from there it's just a toss-up which is which. So they plausibly could have either stolen the guy's layout or come up with something coincidentally similar. :shrug:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ether posted:

Finally received the last parts for that micro-super star destroyer. Cocked up something with the partlist somewhere but managed to build it. The top-deck from the original LDD file is not at all solid enough to be swooshable or even easily movable. Made some adjustments for more stability and stiffness. The result?

Was gonna gift it to a friend but it's just too awesome, might need to make another one :/

Glad you were able to modify it! I was really worried that the .lxf I had provided was not going to be sturdy at all, or at least part of it was going to be. That looks great built in the real world and I'm glad you were able to parse through my stupid file and figure out where to put everything.

I had planned on trying to design it to be more sturdy but I saw TFA a few days after getting to a "finished" point with the .lxf and went on to try to make a microscale Kylo Ren shuttle, which I am still working on trying to make look the best.

Really impressed and flattered that something I made looked good enough for someone to want to put it together.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

NESguerilla posted:

Just noticed Kroger/King Soopers/ city market or whatever it's called where you are located, is clearing out all the microfighthers for 3 dollars each.

E: also the minifigure clocks are half off.

Seriously? There's one thirty minutes away... That's almost worth it.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Bricklink babby here asking for some project advice.

My goal for this year is to make an Emerald Night Christmas train for around my tree. I am not married to the specific build or dark green color. What is the best approach for me to go about securing either the set or building it from parts? I have a decent Lego collection, even though it's mostly older sets and 3-4 years worth of Star Wars Advent Calendars. The site and its system is intimidating. My hope is to start with the engine and tinder then add trains as I learn and gather parts.

I also would be interested in a Hogwarts Express variant. I'm not asking for hand holding, but this is my first venture back into the hobby. (I finally have landed a real job after grad school)

oneof27 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 9, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cloks posted:

Seriously? There's one thirty minutes away... That's almost worth it.

Might want to call and check cause the one I went to was pretty wiped out and they had piles of them a couple of weeks ago.

Tons of clocks for 19.99 though. Like a hundred of Vader boba fett etc. super good deal.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Hear are some pictures of the new Angry Birds sets.

All I want is that hotdog bun.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, that guy has a very exhaustive set of Lego set photos. Like, daily hi-res photos of the Star Wars advent calendar.

I also didn't realize they were making micro-scale poly-bag versions of some of the Force Awakens sets.

http://brickset.com/sets/30279%20-1/Kylo-Ren-s-Command-Shuttle
http://brickset.com/sets/30277-1/First-Order-Star-Destroyer
http://brickset.com/sets/30276-1/First-Order-Special-Forces-TIE-Fighter

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

oneof27 posted:

Bricklink babby here asking for some project advice.

My goal for this year is to make an Emerald Night Christmas train for around my tree. I am not married to the specific build or dark green color. What is the best approach for me to go about securing either the set or building it from parts? I have a decent Lego collection, even though it's mostly older sets and 3-4 years worth of Star Wars Advent Calendars. The site and its system is intimidating. My hope is to start with the engine and tinder then add trains as I learn and gather parts.

I also would be interested in a Hogwarts Express variant. I'm not asking for hand holding, but this is my first venture back into the hobby. (I finally have landed a real job after grad school)

Best way to get the set is to get it off BL or eBay, or part it out via Rebrickable or BL and order the pieces from BL stores.
For a customized/cheaper build you'll probably have to use rebrickable, Bricklink Wanted Lists, and available instructions to part out the set and make custom wishlists for the train. You should probably figure out the 'core' parts (the internal structure, the wheels and stuff) you'd need for the engine in the cheapest available colors, then have another list that has all the exterior and decorative parts, that you can duplicate to other common, cheaper colors or customizations.
You may want to get Lego Digital Designer to experiment with other colors or build changes to use more common parts.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Thank you. That was just what I was looking for. I will get LDD ASAP.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have flattened boxes from Lotr/Hobbit/alien consquest sets. What should i do with them?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just rounded out buying the last Ultimates I needed, Robin and Clay. Not going to get Beastmaster.

I think Aaron and Macy are definitely my favorite, Aaron is probably the coolest but I love Macy's look.
Clay doesn't really impress me, and I like what they did with Robin and his mech. Really liking NEXO so far, as far as the theme and figs go.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Might want to call and check cause the one I went to was pretty wiped out and they had piles of them a couple of weeks ago.

Tons of clocks for 19.99 though. Like a hundred of Vader boba fett etc. super good deal.

I just bought the Snowspeeder at full price from my Fred Meyer/Kroger, damnit.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Picked up one of the Nexo Knight singles today - Clay. Dude has helicopter blades of swords (or flames) coming off his armor - sounds good to me. I really like the sword and shield pieces they have for the theme - so much more fancy than old school sword/shield from back in the day.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

I have flattened boxes from Lotr/Hobbit/alien consquest sets. What should i do with them?

Make sure to put them in the cardboard bin, not mixed paper, if your recycling service separates them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

deoju posted:

Hear are some pictures of the new Angry Birds sets.

All I want is that hotdog bun.

I don't think I've been less enthused about a LEGO series.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I'd rather see the Lone Ranger sets come back than this.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

rickiep00h posted:

I think the big castle is cool but I definitely will not buy any of this. I couldn't be less interested in Angry Birds. It wasn't even appealing to me when it came out originally, years ago. Good for LEGO to try and make some sets for a younger audience but I'd much rather have any other license..

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I'm not gonna buy the Angry Birds stuff, but I think the designs for the piggies' vehicles are pretty neat. They look like a good starting point for vehicle MOCs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Illegal connection in an official set alert! I think that's.. a taupe alert? Maybe taupe. I don't know what colour taupe is.

BUT ANYWAY

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Illegal connection in an official set alert! I think that's.. a taupe alert? Maybe taupe. I don't know what colour taupe is.

BUT ANYWAY

The gun is going in my mouth

I haven't been this disgusting since the Architecture Space Needle where you cut a part to a different length

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NO! :gonk:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, a propos of nothing, has anyone thought of renaming this thread Something AFOL?

In other news, the First Order Transporter (75103) is a really cool kit. Great minifig selection, including Captain Phasma (whose head is just a plain black LEGO head...creepy!) and an excellent use of TECHNIC features to make the kit both a complex build and a dynamic model.

Looking forward to building Kylo Ren's shuttle, it promises to have a similarly complex construction and more cool figs.

vv e: Figured it might.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 9, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apollodorus posted:

So, a propos of nothing, has anyone thought of renaming this thread Something AFOL?

It used to be called that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Captain Phasma (whose head is just a plain black LEGO head...creepy!)

I miss it when the Stormtroopers were all just plain black heads. I think it looked a lot better.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Lego Couscous Megathread: The NEXO Generation

cargohills posted:

I miss it when the Stormtroopers were all just plain black heads. I think it looked a lot better.

Yeah, I think it looks better for the neck joint at least if you get a glimpse of it. Angry Clone isn't bad but who takes the helmets off their Stormies anyways?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those 2 new battlepacks are neat. I honestly don't remember the helmets rebel guys helmets from the movie at all though. Worth it for the transparent goggles though. I hope Lego starts doing a lot more of that.

I liked TFA but not really enough to want to get all the characters, so it's nice to be able to get some soldiers for cheapish.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zodack posted:

Lego Couscous Megathread: The NEXO Generation

Yeah, I think it looks better for the neck joint at least if you get a glimpse of it. Angry Clone isn't bad but who takes the helmets off their Stormies anyways?

If you don't have your Advent 2014 Stormtrooper with mug and Santa hat out at Christmas I don't know what to say (he has a helmet stored on a rack and it's adorable)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I can't get enough of the Kylo Ren from the Takodana set. I really want to try to make a vignette of Kylo Ren versus Rey, maybe something 16x16 or a little bigger.

It's pretty frustrating that the new minifigs are still at really high prices on BL.

I just want Captain Marvel and Space Iron Man, but combined they're about half the cost of the entire Avenjet set. Scuba Iron Man is 1/3 the price of the sub set. I can't tell how minifig price trends work and if anything based on some random price guides the prices only go up. It makes me wonder if I could make my money back buying the Avenjet and selling everything but the minifigs I want.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
You know which licensed LEGO line I do not understand at all? Minecraft. What is the point of having a construction toy that lets you simulate the experience of a computer game that lets you simulate the experience of using a construction toy?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Minecraft is for all the kids (and adults) that never would have touched lego without the branding. It must be insanely profitable considering how fast the initial sets flew off the shelves, but then again anything branded minecraft probably is.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So many new small sets I need to grab. Got my first Nexo Knight, the blue guy riding the ballista looking thing. Lots of shooting bits and oh my god so much translucent orange. I'm trying to talk myself into getting the tank-castle. Also, my local TRU has 30% off on all movie, pirates, tmnt, and chima sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

So many new small sets I need to grab. Got my first Nexo Knight, the blue guy riding the ballista looking thing. Lots of shooting bits and oh my god so much translucent orange. I'm trying to talk myself into getting the tank-castle. Also, my local TRU has 30% off on all movie, pirates, tmnt, and chima sets.

Translucent orange pieces and shooting bits you say? Perchance have you seen Jestro's Evil Mobile? Do two large translucent orange wheels, catapults, buzzsaws and a lava golem sound enticing?

Only $60 USD