Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr Interweb posted:

And since we're on the subject, why does Goku not use it anymore after he turns SSJ? I always figured (though I don't think it was ever confirmed) that for whatever reason, SSJ prevents any further power multipliers.

He uses it once in the anime, against Paikuhan. The Super Kaio-ken is then never used again. Considering how Kaio-ken is taxing on the body, it might simply be too much for Goku to hold both Super Saiyan and Kaio-ken at once, even at the basic level, and he then finds better ways to use his powers (Full Power Super Saiyan, then Super Saiyan 2 and 3), so a simple power boost with heavy drawbacks becomes unneccesary.

Or Toriyama might've just forgotten. That's more likely.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh and I recall in Kai that it's explicitly stated by Piccolo in his fight with 20 that all the Z-Warriors can hilariously spike their power levels when they need to, which definitely implies that they all figured out Kaioken.

Piccolo indeed says that. Goku is the first to show it, then they get the same ability. Rather than having their power at max all the time, they're able to only power up for impacts then go back to normal, thus using exactly as much Ki as needed.

In the fight against Freeza, Goku's shown doing it with the Kaio-ken x10 (hence why the red aura is not shown, since it flares up for less than a second before disappearing), so it might be the same thing there, but it is never stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I always assumed that Cell could freely move where his core was located so that unless you utterly destroy ALL of him, he'd be okay. I've been under that impression...forever, basically. Did I just make that up?

Also, I was under the impression that Kaioken was basically impossible for humans due to the strain on the body. You'd need a saiyan's fortitude to withstand it. Piccolo probably could have learned it if he bothered to do anything but meditate for the week he was there. That's my "headcanon" anyway.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
Piccolo using kaio-ken sounds dumb. Piccolo is too cool to rely on Goku's superpower sloppy seconds to stay relevant, and should only get unique Namek powerups.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

I remember reading an essay on daizenshu ex comparing the saiyan saga to the pacific front in ww2 and the namek saga to the european one.

I think this essay is something I need in my life now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

Piccolo using kaio-ken sounds dumb. Piccolo is too cool to rely on Goku's superpower sloppy seconds to stay relevant, and should only get unique Namek powerups.

Relying on sloppy superpower seconds is a time-honored Dragonball tradition. Goku's iconic moves are all something someone else came up with.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

I think this essay is something I need in my life now.

Freeza is Germany because he was like evil and stuff and then at the end of the war he was split in half and transformed into a Soviet mechanical being. it fits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Relying on sloppy superpower seconds is a time-honored Dragonball tradition. Goku's iconic moves are all something someone else came up with.

That's why vegeta's the best he makes up all his own moves. He's no plagiarist :colbert:.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The best part is that even the one move he SORTA made himself, the Super Kamehameha, which kind of got forgotten after Dragon Ball, was taught to him by Popo.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

The best part is that even the one move he SORTA made himself, the Super Kamehameha, which kind of got forgotten after Dragon Ball, was taught to him by Popo.

No, the Super Kamehameha still gets used.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Monaghan posted:

That's why vegeta's the best he makes up all his own moves. He's no plagiarist :colbert:.

Vegeta only has one move though: impotent rage beam, it just turns up in different guises through the series

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey now cut him some slack, one of them is a ball and the other is a giant explosion

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus everyone else just cracks up when they try and use Big Bang Attack.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vegeta's true signature move is spamming little energy balls though. All the rest are used a grand total of once during the manga, with the anime giving them a bit more of spotlight. Spamming energy balls is eternal and used all the time, with no effect whatsoever, a true fit for Vegeta.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Honestly, how many techniques are used more than once outside of anime filler? I can only think of the Kikoho and most of Goku's moves.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Destructo Disk comes out a few times. Hell even Cell uses Frieza's variation of it once.

There's Tri-Beam as well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Solar Flare? Wolf Fang Fist?

Edit: tribeam is Kikoho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't gohan have some signature move as a kid that he forgot post frieza?

I wanna say it's called masenko or something, and I could swear he uses it more than once

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One interesting thing about Dragon Ball is that, with like ONE exception, their big finishing moves never actually finish anything. It's pretty much a running gag that the Spirit Bomb can't kill anything.

Buu is killed by a combo of stuff, Freeza is taken out ultimately by Trunks slice and dice and then a generic energy blast, and earlier got taken out by his own attacks and Goku's generic energy blast, and Vegeta went through a whole congo line of beat downs, needing to be utterly crushed by giant naked Gohan to be put out of the fight.

Cell is like the only guy who actually gets killed by a Kamehameha beam struggle.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

I always assumed that Cell could freely move where his core was located so that unless you utterly destroy ALL of him, he'd be okay. I've been under that impression...forever, basically. Did I just make that up?

You might be thinking of the Z dub which got around the "how did Cell survive without a head when the Nucleus in his head is what lets him regenerate?" plothole by saying that Cell can always regenerate so long as a single cell of him survives.

Of course, this all arrives at the problem that Namekian regen, unlike Buu's, has a tremendous ki/energy cost. There's really no way Cell should be able to do it but who loving cares, Super Perfect Cell was awesome and had good music.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Raxivace posted:

Destructo Disk comes out a few times. Hell even Cell uses Frieza's variation of it once.

There's Tri-Beam as well.

Yeah but Frieza, Vegeta, and Cell each only use it once. Does Krillin ever use it again after the Saiyan saga?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Cuts Freeza's tail with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't gohan have some signature move as a kid that he forgot post frieza?

I wanna say it's called masenko or something, and I could swear he uses it more than once

Masenko is a Piccolo technique (thus the name.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the question was "what techniques get used more than once" so that's irrelevant

unless you mean it's not his signature move because he didn't come up with it, in which case I guess goku doesn't have one at all since everything he does is learned from someone else

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

One interesting thing about Dragon Ball is that, with like ONE exception, their big finishing moves never actually finish anything. It's pretty much a running gag that the Spirit Bomb can't kill anything.

Buu is killed by a combo of stuff, Freeza is taken out ultimately by Trunks slice and dice and then a generic energy blast, and earlier got taken out by his own attacks and Goku's generic energy blast, and Vegeta went through a whole congo line of beat downs, needing to be utterly crushed by giant naked Gohan to be put out of the fight.

Cell is like the only guy who actually gets killed by a Kamehameha beam struggle.

Idk what you watched, but both buu and omega shenron are killed by the spirit bomb.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Namtab posted:

Idk what you watched, but both buu and omega shenron are killed by the spirit bomb.

how many years after the spirit bomb's first inclusion in the comic did it finally get a kill on buu

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The movies like to use the Spirit Bomb a lot, don't they?

Toei must really like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

setafd posted:

how many years after the spirit bomb's first inclusion in the comic did it finally get a kill on buu

It didn't even kill Buu.

It made him reincarnate as a good person.

That's the exact opposite of death.

The Spirit Bomb is such a lovely power that it has literally negative one deaths

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

It didn't even kill Buu.

The Spirit Bomb is such a lovely power that it has literally negative one deaths

You have to die before you reincarnated. Therefore it killed buu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

It didn't even kill Buu.

do you not understand how reincarnation works or what

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

By your logic, the special beam cannon also has no kills, because goku didn't stay dead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fine- it has absolutely Zero kills in canon.

Because it literally undoes the singular death it deals.

It's the most self defeating attack in history.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

By your logic, the special beam cannon also has no kills, because goku didn't stay dead.

Once again everyone forgets about Raditz.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How do we know Raditz was dead? Did he ever actually show up in the afterlife? Did a trained medical professional ever confirm that he was dead?!!???!!!!

HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!?????????

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

Fine- it has absolutely Zero kills in canon.

Because it literally undoes the singular death it deals.

It's the most self defeating attack in history.

the spirit bomb doesn't bring anyone back to life, what are you talking about

like I don't understand how you even came to this conclusion, but it's wrong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The King wrestled him so yeah.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Dragon Ball Z: Return R
look forward to it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

the spirit bomb doesn't bring anyone back to life, what are you talking about

like I don't understand how you even came to this conclusion, but it's wrong

Buu

Uub

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The bomb has nothing to do with him coming back so that makes no sense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

The King wrestled him so yeah.

Yenma was clearly lying! because he had no proof! Perhaps he's being paid to keep quiet by Capsule Corp, who have captured the alive Raditz to genetically engineer their own army of biowarrior clone Saiyans...

I'm telling you guys, Prince Vegeta, who is married to the heir of the Capsule Corporation, is rebuilding his Saiyan army. NONE OF YOU FOOLS ARE LISTENING TO THE TRUTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Spirit Bomb isn't what brought him back to life. He was reborn from the wish Goku made as Buu died.

• Locked thread