Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

This isn't a cartoon, this is a tweet with art around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, you had me fooled there.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Maybe If they positioned the TV to face the couch, they wouldn't have to lean like that to see.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

A few new ones, and a few that I was supposed to post yesterday that haven't yet been posted.

So I haven't been keeping up, but did he do it or what?
Did they do something particularly bad this time or is it just a generic "GMO = BAD" toon?
:drat:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah someone needs to explain the netflix thing to me

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mandatory lesbian posted:

A bunch of people are going all internet justice after watching the Making a Murderer documentary that just came out on Netflix. Petitions to overturn the decision, stuff like that.
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/8/10734268/netflix-making-a-murderer-avery

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_a_Murderer

e:f,b

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's about Making A Murderer, a documentary on Netflix about a guy who was sent to jail for a sexual assault that he was basically convicted of because the judge was friends with a person who didn't like him, was finally exonerated after 18 years in prison thanks to DNA evidence, sued the police, and was coincidentally arrested on a murder charge before that lawsuit could make its way to court. I haven't seen the whole thing yet (it's like ten hour-long episodes) but both trials were full of ridiculous failures on the part of the justice system and at least as much evidence that the police were tampering as there was evidence that he actually did anything wrong. People who watched the documentary signed a petition to have Obama pardon him, but he can't because it wasn't a federal crime.

I'm unsurprised to see that political cartoonists don't like this documentary because they are the kind of people who take incredulous umbrage at the idea that law enforcement officers could have done something wrong

e:f;b but my post had a writeup :colbert:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Spoeank posted:

A bunch of people are going all internet justice after watching the Making a Murderer documentary that just came out on Netflix. Petitions to overturn the decision, stuff like that.
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/8/10734268/netflix-making-a-murderer-avery

Serial, look what you have begat!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how right-wingers keep saying this as though it were self-evident and thus an actual argument, rather than ridiculous conjecture that only makes the slightest sense if you already buy all their talking points

e: remember this one?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

I like how right-wingers keep saying this as though it were self-evident and thus an actual argument, rather than ridiculous conjecture that only makes the slightest sense if you already buy all their talking points

Agreed, platitudes won't stop gun violence. That's why Obama is taking what concrete measures he can, while the opposition sticks to "a good guy with a gun."

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

... is that supposed to be Biden?! I hate this man more than anyone else in the universe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rebochan posted:

A few new ones, and a few that I was supposed to post yesterday that haven't yet been posted.

The party that lives and dies on "pray for the victims" is daring to rant about platitudes? Really? More and more proof that wingnuts and gun worshipers lack anything resembling self-awareness.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

How can you be mad at a face like that? He loves his job!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jurgan posted:

More like Errol Morris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line_(1988_film)

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The creators of the series have said that they don't think he should be released, and they don't know whether or not he's innocent. They just think he deserves another trial because he was deprived of due process

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

memy posted:

The creators of the series have said that they don't think he should be released, and they don't know whether or not he's innocent. They just think he deserves another trial because he was deprived of due process

That's what I got out of it. Goddamn, was the police and prosecution incompetent. The only reason he got convicted was because people tend to trust the police.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So Justin Bieber's banned from Brazil, now?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I thought people from flyover states were supposed to be Real Americans, Tinsley.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rebochan posted:

Did they do something particularly bad this time or is it just a generic "GMO = BAD" toon?
Campbell's announced their support for a new law that would require foods using GMOs to say so on the packaging. It's apparently a big break from other major food companies, but that's not terribly surprising when consider corporations and their opinions of regulation.

I'm not one who cares about GMOs, but I don't have much issue with this.

Apparently this person who accused him made it up (he was on the other side of the country when it purportedly happened) unless there's been further developments. Naturally this means every other woman who accused him is also lying, along with every other woman who accuses a man of rape.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Rorus Raz posted:

Apparently this person who accused him made it up (he was on the other side of the country when it purportedly happened) unless there's been further developments. Naturally this means every other woman who accused him is also lying, along with every other woman who accuses a man of rape.

I assumed this one was dealing with the case in Pennsylvania where he actually got arrested - that one is still ongoing.

California is the one where one of the "Jane Does" might have made it all up but officially all the criminal cases there were dropped due to lack of evidence and statue of limitations. I have seen plenty of people suggest that means all of the cases are false though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This might be the best political cartoon I've seen in months.

Thats kind of sad...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Boy, the guys who deliver Bagley's mail are gonna need fireproof bags to handle the hate mail for this one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Selachian posted:

Boy, the guys who deliver Bagley's mail are gonna need fireproof bags to handle the hate mail for this one.
That's an extremely popular metaphor if you want to piss the righteous hell out of the religious right.

I think Bennett and Horsey have done it. poo poo, I think Bagley's done it once before.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

They've been making this for 10 years, so Serial just happened to beat them to the social media punch by about a year.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Good thing that bear is labelled, otherwise I would have had a hard time figuring out that it symbolized an economic downturn.

After Ukraine and Syria, Putin invades China

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

All these comics criticizing Obama for trying something are weird. They seems revenge for when people was angry about politicians "praying for the victims", that many people labeled has platitudes.
A order from the president is not a platitude, it made some real change if small.

I think gun violence is not one of these things that can be fixed in one month, and maybe nobody just now has enough social credit to implement real big change. Some changes need time, and Obama move can be a first step towards change.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 9, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If there's someone weird in your neighbourhood
Who ya gonna call? GAYBUSTERS!

:negative:

I seriously believe we only consider Latuff to be one of the good ones because he can draw.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Rorus Raz posted:

That's an extremely popular metaphor if you want to piss the righteous hell out of the religious right.

I think Bennett and Horsey have done it. poo poo, I think Bagley's done it once before.

Probably my favorite political cartoon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tei posted:

All these comics criticizing Obama for trying something are weird. They seems revenge for when people was angry about politicians "praying for the victims", that many people labeled has platitudes.

This was one of Karl Rove's favorite strategies, attack your opponents on the things you yourself are actually weak on. In a sane world, that would make no sense, but given the constant attempt for mainstream American media to strain facts so "both sides are the same", it works great. Basically, if bad behavior or weakness can be seen as something that both sides do, it disarms any cognitive dissonance that may come from the earlier weakness. So if a Republican who was not completely pro-gun was beginning to realize "prayers and thoughts" are useless, finding out their opponents are just as useless keeps them from considering them as better than their normal choice.

For example, the focus on Obama's speaking with teleprompters is definitely tied to the harsh criticism George W. Bush received for his various Bush-isms and flubs. The constant reference to him crying is also meant to hearken back to John Boehner crying. It wasn't enough to attack John Kerry for criticizing the Vietnam War, his actual amount of service during it had to be put into question so he was brought down to the same level as George W. Bush who dicked around in the Texas Air National Guard so he didn't actually have to go to war.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He loooves death and macaroni pie.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

foobardog posted:

George W. Bush who dicked around in the Texas Air National Guard so he didn't actually have to go to war.

Didn't the Dub end up deserting from that one anyway?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

foobardog posted:

This was one of Karl Rove's favorite strategies, attack your opponents on the things you yourself are actually weak on. In a sane world, that would make no sense, but given the constant attempt for mainstream American media to strain facts so "both sides are the same", it works great. Basically, if bad behavior or weakness can be seen as something that both sides do, it disarms any cognitive dissonance that may come from the earlier weakness. So if a Republican who was not completely pro-gun was beginning to realize "prayers and thoughts" are useless, finding out their opponents are just as useless keeps them from considering them as better than their normal choice.

So is evil, but not stupid.

Most people have stooped smoking, with enough taxes, warnings and stuff, you can change the behavior of society, without needing a outright ban. Perhaps this is the way to go to get rid of weapons in USA. Politicians only have to pay for information campaigns, create new taxes for weapons owners, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tei posted:

So is evil, but not stupid.

Most people have stooped smoking, with enough taxes, warnings and stuff, you can change the behavior of society, without needing a outright ban. Perhaps this is the way to go to get rid of weapons in USA. Politicians only have to pay for information campaigns, create new taxes for weapons owners, etc.

Except you can't put a label on a gun saying "WARNING: Guns damage your health" and expect it to be a deterrent, because unlike cigarettes that's why people buy guns.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

WarpedNaba posted:

So Justin Bieber's banned from Brazil, now?

I looked it up and apparently it's just personal dislike, though apparently Brazilian police wanted to question Bieber about some vandalism at one point.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Word's third greatest homophobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't the Dub end up deserting from that one anyway?

Yeah he was AWOL for most of it. But here, let's forget about Dubya and instead listen to Kerry's record according to these totally sincere and absolutely not bought Swift Boat Veterans.

• Locked thread