Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
This week on "gently caress You, John Romero:"

Part 4: BRIAN IS AN rear end in a top hat
:synthy: Playlist

And another silly one-off:

I AM CRYING INSIDE Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition

Happy New Year, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Let's Play Dark Souls II, NG+!

Pretty much everyone knows what Dark Souls is, so I don't give much of a poo poo about spoilers or whatnot. (If you don't know, then check out everything here. The first one listed is a blind LP, but the other two are by veterans.) For whatever reason no one's really shown off NG+ gameplay on Dark Souls I or II, where enemies are more dangerous to compensate for your character being all-around competent at everything. So I figured I'd grab my friend Nate (who's played a lot more of the former) and record a bunch of videos of the second game in the manner of Maximum Fun. By which I mean shieldless, because a number of attacks tend to punish shields. (I can still be a bit of a scrub but I'm editing out most deaths.) The first video is pretty short, so I put up the second one as well.

1: Introduction and Tutorial Roundup
2: Forest of Fallen Giants 1

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

NGDBSS posted:

Let's Play Dark Souls II, NG+! ... For whatever reason no one's really shown off NG+ gameplay on Dark Souls I or II, where enemies are more dangerous to compensate for your character being all-around competent at everything.

Yeah, that's a good point. Especially in DS2, with the new phantoms and having more variety in the early game. I think the main issue is that difficulty scaling goes pretty much completely out the window after a New Game. On one hand, early enemies and bosses are no match for a decent build with +10 gear, while lategame ones can be insane (like 4 Kings); on the other each iteration improves the enemies less to make up to the fact that stats still have diminishing returns and thus you get relatively weaker and weaker and can't do anything about it. I think a "controlled" NG+ LP (like for DS2, maybe cycle 2 starting at level 100 or something) would be neat, though.

Speaking of SL, you might want to post your build. I can tell with that giant stack of lightning spears you have 50+ Attunement, but casual fans might not. I'd also fast-forward or just cut things like Cale's dialogue (maybe let each line play for a second or two and then skip); like you said the main draw is the gameplay and showing off new enemies, all the NPC stuff is the same.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

crab avatar posted:

:allears: You don't really understand how bad at this you can be until you play the Story Mode

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

mateo360 posted:

:allears: You don't really understand how bad at this you can be until you play the Story Mode
I felt a bit bad for making GBS threads on the game during our video as much as I did. Power Rangers (and this game) must've been so precious for so many kids. It was just not a thing here (Eastern Europe) until around the mid-90s at which point anything from the 80s looked ridiculous by default for anyone over the age of 10.

I'm so happy though that you have no clue about the blue meter thing either. :xd:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

crab avatar posted:

I AM CRYING INSIDE — Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition

There's not much to this game, but I love it - the sound design goes a long way. Hell, I recorded some of it a while back just so I could show people it's in stereo. Give it a peek if you've got headphones!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for the avatar inspiration, FeyerbrandX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Rl9p2S-Uo

The world was fast asleep. It was a seemingly normal night until a UFO came into view. It beamed and zapped almost everything around it while the happy critters slept in their homes. There was a bobcat, Bubsy, clutching his prized yarn ball handed down from his grandmother. He then sensed a disturbance and woke up suddenly, rubbing his eye. He looked before him and things seemed really out-of-place in the natural order of the world. He saw a UFO zapping and stealing fabric all around the neighborhood.

"Oh no, they might want my yarn ball collection!" Bubsy cried, holding his yarn ball close.

The aliens ascended from the ship, looking like the strangest creatures you ever saw. No arms, but giant feet with curly strands of hair like antenna with big button noses and cheeks. They could form cheese wheels with their powers and throw eggs. Bubsy was deeply lactose intolerant and was allergic to eggs. The aliens even started to control the animals of the forest.

"I guess it's up to me to save the world," Bubsy called bravely. "What could paws-ibly go wrong?"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Whatever the gently caress that noise was at 12:10 is art. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I love this. :allears:

This game was made by people who confused sadism with good game design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMnf3PM4mk

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:drat:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6L93kD3xw

This is what watching Bubsy feels like.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Why do you make me hurt the ones I love know?

Why Bubsy, WHY!?
Bubsy... Bubsy... BUUUUUUUBSYYYYYYYYY!:byodood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgWBdoXugM

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Why do you make me hurt the ones I love know?

Why Bubsy, WHY!?
Bubsy... Bubsy... BUUUUUUUBSYYYYYYYYY!:byodood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgWBdoXugM

:perfect:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/nbt_2C6vRjI

So CJacobs and I discovered that its local Co-op only. Whoops!

It's okay though, we've got something else in the works. :getin: In the meantime, please enjoy the penultimate level of Blue Estate.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 9, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Thank you for the avatar inspiration, FeyerbrandX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Rl9p2S-Uo

The world was fast asleep. It was a seemingly normal night until a UFO came into view. It beamed and zapped almost everything around it while the happy critters slept in their homes. There was a bobcat, Bubsy, clutching his prized yarn ball handed down from his grandmother. He then sensed a disturbance and woke up suddenly, rubbing his eye. He looked before him and things seemed really out-of-place in the natural order of the world. He saw a UFO zapping and stealing fabric all around the neighborhood.

"Oh no, they might want my yarn ball collection!" Bubsy cried, holding his yarn ball close.

The aliens ascended from the ship, looking like the strangest creatures you ever saw. No arms, but giant feet with curly strands of hair like antenna with big button noses and cheeks. They could form cheese wheels with their powers and throw eggs. Bubsy was deeply lactose intolerant and was allergic to eggs. The aliens even started to control the animals of the forest.

"I guess it's up to me to save the world," Bubsy called bravely. "What could paws-ibly go wrong?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHvd6Hpo0mc

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Let's Mangle the English Language in Mega Man X 2.

In this episode I start to forget how to speak English

MMX2 Part 01

MMX2 Part 02

MMX2 Part 03

MMX2 Part 04

MMX2 Part 05

MMX2 Part 06 -Bonus Episode-

:siren: New episode incoming :siren:

MMX2 Part 07

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 9, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I loved Bubsy on the Sega Genesis when I was a wee lad.

I am a broken human being.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Would it surprise you to say that there are continues? They look like this:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

crab avatar posted:

Every time I see this game, I'm reminded of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

There's also some analysis of the character rankings in that game. I believe Ninja and Lipsyncher were the best overall. COMPETITIVE PLAY

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Lobster posted:

Would it surprise you to say that there are continues? They look like this:

Didn't think to mention it, but I remember those.

If someone can get me a screenshot of the text description of one of the soul consumables I might have something tomorrow, if I'm not too busy, which I unfortunately probably will be.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Isn't Bubsy the game that that autist guy (Ulillillia?) is so into? I think he has been defending the series and posted some playthroughs online where the game almost looks playable because he has everything memorized.

I can't understand how the developers thought the game would be fun, and the level designs are the worst. The deaths in your playthrough that aren't egg-related are mostly from having to take a leap of faith because of the limited view.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Uillillia is super into Bubsy, yes, it's the basis for his whole platform masters game. What he likes about it is that it's got this weird unique physics engine (for the time), where you can build up momentum and then rocket off into the stratosphere by using the force from jumping while moving quickly on an incline. On the one hand, I think that's also pretty cool, but on the other hand it has done absolutely nothing but get me killed so I can't give Bubsy too much credit for it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

Isn't Bubsy the game that that autist guy (Ulillillia?) is so into? I think he has been defending the series and posted some playthroughs online where the game almost looks playable because he has everything memorized.

I can't understand how the developers thought the game would be fun, and the level designs are the worst. The deaths in your playthrough that aren't egg-related are mostly from having to take a leap of faith because of the limited view.
Yes and they probably didn't. I rather suspect the mindset was "Mario and Sonic sell like crazy, what can we do to get a piece of that pie". As for unplayable, that's what you get when you don't have quality testing - from a point you're just too close and used to a project to see its flaws.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I once got into the last level of Bubsy by jumping a lot, having lots of luck and just essentially flying over everything.

Then I ran out of luck and basically could never ever get that far again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
They added Steam achievements to Emily Is Away. Before anyone gets excited and plans to reinstall and replay the game, let me be clear that the achievements are solely for beating each of the five chapters, and using a cheat to unlock secret friend icons and using said icons.

That's it.

:/

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
They really should have made an unobtainable "happy ending" cheevo.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Artelier posted:

There's also some analysis of the character rankings in that game. I believe Ninja and Lipsyncher were the best overall. COMPETITIVE PLAY
I will not tolerate any efforthaving in this thread!!

Also I have more incompetent gameplay for you guys/gals to get angry at:

SHITTIEST ANYTHING EVER Mechwarrior 3050

FRAGILE MASCULINITY: THE GAME Total Carnage

♪♫ I'M ON BLUE FIRE ♪♫ Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension

I SHOOT, IT DIES Super Turrican 2

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Here's a casual LP of Neo Turf Masters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtaVhyVO-EE

Along with 27 screenshots that I took while playing some other time: http://imgur.com/a/i9Hih

I'm afraid the pixels of the port seem to be screwed up, though the art is still great.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Myself and SphincterEnvy play Clarences Big Chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTNiokfJx4

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
LVL 2 of Clarences Big Chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJAWlANmLk

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Latest Video:

I've been meaning to do a Not a Hero LP for a while, but I'm not like a superstar at the game, actually, I am at times downright terrible and though I loving hate the Random Humor Generator that is Bunnylord I still love the gently caress out of this game. Just sliding and shooting and more shooting and some stabbing and forgetting to turn the sound on and not bothering to edit it all out because that would require literal seconds of effort and this is the casual thread.

If you haven't heard of Not a Hero the way I would describe it is if OG Hotline Miami decided to be a fast paced side scroller with a cover mechanic and bad humor. Also your character only has one weapon. Also your main mode of locomotion is sliding. Also you are being told what to do by a giant rabbit, but he's not wearing a mask...Ok, so this game is loving nothing like Hotline Miami and that's to its benefit because any ultraviolent shooter type game made in pseudo-3D is going to get compared to Hotline Miami now and it's best to distance yourself from that as much as you can. This is a game where you work through increasingly complex side scrolling levels at the behest of a large, violent space rabbit that wants to be mayor of the unnamed city the game takes place in. You shoot things and slide into enemies and cover alike. There's a tutorial and everything in the first video:

Videos

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 1, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lazyfire posted:

I've been meaning to do a Not a Hero LP for a while, but I'm not like a superstar at the game, actually, I am at times downright terrible and though I loving hate the Random Humor Generator that is Bunnylord I still love the gently caress out of this game. Just sliding and shooting and more shooting and some stabbing and forgetting to turn the sound on and not bothering to edit it all out because that would require literal seconds of effort and this is the casual thread.

If you haven't heard of Not a Hero the way I would describe it is if OG Hotline Miami decided to be a fast paced side scroller with a cover mechanic and bad humor. Also your character only has one weapon. Also your main mode of locomotion is sliding. Also you are being told what to do by a giant rabbit, but he's not wearing a mask...Ok, so this game is loving nothing like Hotline Miami and that's to its benefit because any ultraviolent shooter type game made in pseudo-3D is going to get compared to Hotline Miami now and it's best to distance yourself from that as much as you can. This is a game where you work through increasingly complex side scrolling levels at the behest of a large, violent space rabbit that wants to be mayor of the unnamed city the game takes place in. You shoot things and slide into enemies and cover alike. There's a tutorial and everything in the first video:

Videos

I kind of like that the ridiculousness of Bunnylord's speech. Also, this game starts to get hard later on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The company that made this later used the engine to make a Gundam Wing fighting game called Endless Duel that was pretty great. It never got released outside of japan because Wing wasn't localized until after the SNES was dead and buried.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR40CdbZdW8

Bubsy stared out over the lake, his weary eyes bagged and heavy. He'd been traveling for days now. His fur was matted to his forehead, the sweat of the desert heat still lingering on his skin. Fists clenched, he found his legs weighed a ton apiece, and spent some time staring down upon the rippling water. He could at least afford that much rest to himself.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, trying still to will away the onset of a headache. He blamed the trains; their horns too loud, wheels grinding along the decades-old tracks. He blamed the mountain air, tightening his blood vessels and quickening his heartbeat as it pounded in his ears with anticipation. He blamed those creatures; their sickening laughter. The 'woolies'.

They were as aliens. Though they appeared to be flesh and blood- some kind of animal never seen by furred-kind -they couldn't have been. Upon defeat they simply vanished into dust, as if they had never existed in the first place. it didn't make sense. Natural life did not work that way. Their vaguely rabbit-like appearance unnerved Bubsy; he had friends who were hares themselves. Every time he struck one down it felt like he was assaulting the familiar. He stared then at the gray dust specks beneath his claws and felt dissonant.

Closing his paw back into a fist, he managed the strength to stand. No matter what these creatures truly were, Bubsy would defeat them. Or at least, that idea had gotten him this far. He'd always fancied himself an adventurer, a hero.

"Heroes don't give up," he told himself. In the back of his mind, where his headache laid thumping hammers again and again in rhythm, a tiny voice told him that perhaps he should. Somewhere far away, beneath the lake and beyond, the ritual was nearing completion.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 19, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Watching that video, CJacobs, I am reminded: did you know that you can look up and down? Like, if you hold up, Bubsy will look further up. If you hold down, he will look further down. That way you can see things off-screen. You can do that because Bubsy is a good, well-thought out game with excellent mechanics and is fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wamdoodle posted:

I kind of like that the ridiculousness of Bunnylord's speech. Also, this game starts to get hard later on.

The game gets stupid difficult at times, especially if you use the wrong characters. I will complain endlessly about some of those characters in the videos, I can promise that much.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Oh, oh, oh, and those red arrows spinning in a circle? Those are continues. When you get those, you get a continue.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR40CdbZdW8

Bubsy stared out over the lake, his weary eyes bagged and heavy. He'd been traveling for days now. His fur was matted to his forehead, the sweat of the desert heat still lingering on his skin. Fists clenched, he found his legs weighed a ton apiece, and spent some time staring down upon the rippling water. He could at least afford that much rest to himself.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, trying still to will away the onset of a headache. He blamed the trains; their horns too loud, wheels grinding along the decades-old tracks. He blamed the mountain air, tightening his blood vessels and quickening his heartbeat as it pounded in his ears with anticipation. He blamed those creatures; their sickening laughter. The 'woolies'.

They were as aliens. Though they appeared to be flesh and blood- some kind of animal never seen by furred-kind -they couldn't have been. Upon defeat they simply vanished into dust, as if they had never existed in the first place. it didn't make sense. Natural life did not work that way. Their vaguely rabbit-like appearance unnerved Bubsy; he had friends who were hares themselves. Every time he struck one down it felt like he was assaulting the familiar. He stared then at the gray dust specks beneath his claws and felt dissonant.

Closing his paw back into a fist, he managed the strength to stand. No matter what these creatures truly were, Bubsy would defeat them. Or at least, that idea had gotten him this far. He'd always fancied himself an adventurer, a hero.

"Heroes don't give up," he told himself. In the back of his mind, where his headache laid thumping hammers again and again in rhythm, a tiny voice told him that perhaps he should. Somewhere far away, beneath the lake and beyond, the ritual was nearing completion.

Wow, zero progress? This must be some kind of record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As we find out in the next video, this is only the second hardest level in the game! Welcome to hell!