Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sickening posted:

I thought you can't fire events without 8?

You can't run it as a sanctioned event without 8, but the store can still run an unsanctioned event with fewer than 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

I thought you can't fire events without 8?

They become casual events, and each person only gets 1 point.

Looks like this on Planeswalker Points:

It was pretty nice when only 4 people showed up and everyone gets the FNM promo for playing.

I believe this points don't count for yearly points, only lifetime. Like, adding 1 point does nothing about GP byes.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 9, 2016

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Are there any Sphinx's Tutelage esque cards in the new set? I wanna mill some standard. That never happens.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Someone recently posted the Altar of the Brood, Eldrazi Displacer, Brood Monitor combo if standard mill is what you're after.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I'm kinda surprised Goblin Guide hasn't mega spiked with all the other modern cards. It hits all the notes that you would think would make speculators go crazy for it. Printed in only one long far off set, no reprints, key card in a Tier 1 deck, blah blah blah.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

anglachel posted:

I'm kinda surprised Goblin Guide hasn't mega spiked with all the other modern cards. It hits all the notes that you would think would make speculators go crazy for it. Printed in only one long far off set, no reprints, key card in a Tier 1 deck, blah blah blah.

consider this: real players dont play mono red

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dimensional Infiltrator will eventually mill your opponent, I guess.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007
While this set looks like it may be fun to draft, I don't think there are more than 4 singles I want. I may skip the prerelease and just grab them off Pucetrade.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its in only one Tier 1 deck, and only 1 other Tier 2 deck (Gruul/Naya Zoo) unlike Spellskite or Inquisition, which can be used in half the decks in Modern. GP promo also helps it out. It was also in a widely-opened large set compared to a barely opened small set to compare it to Scapeshift.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Does anyone else see a sombrero

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah - white with a blue brim?

Hey rabidsquid or anyone else who likes Pauper, is this thing a good deck, because it kinda does everything I like in Magic and I'm considering buying it and trying to get into Pauper.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This set is great for photoshop

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey rabidsquid or anyone else who likes Pauper, is this thing a good deck, because it kinda does everything I like in Magic and I'm considering buying it and trying to get into Pauper.
I don't know anything about Pauper but it has 14 recent finishes including multiple League 5-0s so I'd say it's good enough to be worth the $24 price tag.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jenny Angel posted:

I love that serrated arrows is $6 on modo thanks to pauper.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

It's in a deck that runs 12 fetches, and was a rare in zendikar which was opened a ridiculous amount because of those fetches. Burn is in a spot where it's too expensive to really be a budget deck and increase demand for that reason, and it's a linear deck that doesn't allow for a lot of variety so it's not as heavily played as tarmogoyf, spellskite, or other multi-deck all-stars.

Oh and it's also THIRTY loving DOLLARS. It was never more than like $5 in standard. It has ticked up just over a longer period of time, and its price was originally spiked by legacy pre-modern existing. It also has a GP foil promo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Officially 85 for modern 90 for standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yes. Acid Trip is fantastic. I beat a turn 3 Ulamog's Crusher with it the other day.

Also if you're buying these on MTGO, consider playing in The First Official MTGO Pauper Goon League. Sign-ups end tomorrow-ish!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like this card.

That's a fair amount of incidental life gain on a card that's not too over costed (instant) even if it's not a spectacular rate. That said, I don't remember any recent formats where a raise dead was great. At the very least it'll be good in sealed, I think.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

Officially 85 for modern 90 for standard.
Where is that, Madness?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jenny Angel posted:

This deck is fine, but it's slow and from what I've seen it's just worse than Kuldotha Jeskai. It seems like the only matchup it's actually better at is Familiar, and then it's only if they kept a hand that's weak to Acid on a bounceland. The deck is just so drat slow to start.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I like this card.

That's a fair amount of incidental life gain on a card that's not too over costed (instant) even if it's not a spectacular rate. That said, I don't remember any recent formats where a raise dead was great. At the very least it'll be good in sealed, I think.

There''s some people talking about it on the Limited Resources subreddit who are pretty smart and think it's going to be good.

I think it's a trap though. Raise dead is a bad card and that card still has all the downsides that make Raise dead bad.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Hellsau posted:

This deck is fine, but it's slow and from what I've seen it's just worse than Kuldotha Jeskai. It seems like the only matchup it's actually better at is Familiar, and then it's only if they kept a hand that's weak to Acid on a bounceland. The deck is just so drat slow to start.

I play pauper and I haven't built and played Acid Trip yet, but I've played against it and its a real, but grindy, deck

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
AlternateNu I don't mean to steal your gimmick but Inquisition of Kozilek rose 10% today by their graph and their list of tcgplayer prices has none below $20.

poo poo.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Iquisition-owners chat: should we shift this poo poo now, or will it keep going up!?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

AlternateNu I don't mean to steal your gimmick but Inquisition of Kozilek rose 10% today by their graph and their list of tcgplayer prices has none below $20.

poo poo.

I called my LGS this morning because I'm planning on picking up 2 more inquisitons and was quoted $12/ea at 10am. By the time I came to pick them up at 7pm the price was $25.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
We had 11 for standard tonight. 40+ is normal. It was intimate, but I like the crowds more.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The worst submarine posted:

This set is great for photoshop

garras de las tinieblas (?)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper. Seriously, sell the top decks as $10 Pauper event decks, and have a Pauper FNM. You can do one for each color, plus artifacts, and get most of the strong archtypes. It's a wonderful way to get into tournament Magic, and people who rightly refuse to pay hundreds for a Standard deck can play something competitive for cheap. Maybe even have a Pauper GP at some point.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Balon posted:

I called my LGS this morning because I'm planning on picking up 2 more inquisitons and was quoted $12/ea at 10am. By the time I came to pick them up at 7pm the price was $25.

"gently caress you, you shoulda come in at 10 am. Pay me."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper...$10 Pauper event decks...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

push paper pauper, people!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper. Seriously, sell the top decks as $10 Pauper event decks, and have a Pauper FNM. You can do one for each color, plus artifacts, and get most of the strong archtypes. It's a wonderful way to get into tournament Magic, and people who rightly refuse to pay hundreds for a Standard deck can play something competitive for cheap. Maybe even have a Pauper GP at some point.

because that would not make them outrageous amounts of money?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

We've been playing hedge magic aka no rare standard at the lgs because we've got a bunch of new players. It's surprisingly fun.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Konstantin posted:

Would love a pauper GP, playing it online in preparation for a paper tournament got me hooked.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Yeah I don't understand why wizards doesn't push a format that would sell a product once for $10MSRP / $3wholesale and then never again while costing a small amount in support (FNM prizing / DCI maintenance) when they could push draft which sells a box of product per 8 people in 3 hour blocks which is ~$150MSRP/$40-$50wholesale.

While we're at it I don't understand why they don't just allow you to print proxies and play at sanctioned tournaments, or just sell singles directly to the consumer for printing costs alone!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

standard.deviant posted:

Where is that, Madness?

Yep. Funny enough the modern seating area is smaller and they threatened to put a cap on modern instead of takin over standards area. I would suspect they would switch them even if more people play modern because that is simply less money incoming.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People getting mad here at successful discriminatory pricing practices like the ones Christian bible societies had success with for over a hundred years. Just lol. It's an interesting concept but the problem would be the stores who don't have enough room to host appropriately. Given enough room? Yeah I'd say it would work if the extra marginal costs give them enough benefits.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah I don't understand why wizards doesn't push a format that would sell a product once for $10MSRP / $3wholesale and then never again while costing a small amount in support (FNM prizing / DCI maintenance) when they could push draft which sells a box of product per 8 people in 3 hour blocks which is ~$150MSRP/$40-$50wholesale.

While we're at it I don't understand why they don't just allow you to print proxies and play at sanctioned tournaments, or just sell singles directly to the consumer for printing costs alone!

They're suggesting event decks for pauper, you goofy gently caress.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kizudarake posted:

They're suggesting event decks for pauper, you goofy gently caress.

They're suggesting pauper FNM, you dopey twist.

Their lotto-ticket business model is not something they want to undermine with FNM support or official products.

What the hell kind of pauper deck isn't going to be $10 to assemble from your store's commons/uncommons/tcgplayer anyways?

There's no margin on the event decks, and there's the potential for cannibalization of more lucrative products.

As a player I'm all for pauper and cockatrice / xmage and proxying decks to play this fun game. But WotC is a business and I'm going to take the stance in here that as a business they're not going to make obvious bad business moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Unfortunately there is no incentive for them to support pauper in paper, online they get all the tourney fees and its a format that is more fun than standard at a fraction of the cost.

It stops people from buying packs and they don't see any money from the people that play it in store.

Honestly, if you started with a real good $20 tournament ready deck, would you ever even look at standard?

• Locked thread